The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

On 10/9/2021 at 8:05 PM, Gissie said:

However the ego, most certainly. His wish to do the three in a row consumes him and I fear has lead to this behaviour.

oh my. we do know how this ends

.moby-dick-gregory-peck-tangled-up-510x38

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

Posted Images

13 hours ago, barfy said:

Hope you are well sir, it's been ages...

Good thanks and back at you…been sailing and grand parenting… 

“just when I thought I was out, I’m back in again!”…

• Like 2
3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Schmoozing in Spain and such eg with the King during this season probably didn't hurt now in garnering goodwill for Tuke, Burling and so forth? 

There were big crowds for Sailgp on the weekend - especially on the blowy Sunday. That sort of enthusiasm wouldn't hurt the AC bid. 

JR has communicated to GD that Ineos will not agree to an event in the ME...."...safety and security of our team members and families are of utmost importance.....the level of safety and security needed for our team and our American allies cannot be guaranteed and therefore I will not support any event taking place in any body of water located in the Middle East."

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

There were big crowds for Sailgp on the weekend - especially on the blowy Sunday. That sort of enthusiasm wouldn't hurt the AC bid. 

Hearing about 15,000 People were there on Sunday. You may be right!

6 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

JR has communicated to GD that Ineos will not agree to an event in the ME...."...safety and security of our team members and families are of utmost importance.....the level of safety and security needed for our team and our American allies cannot be guaranteed and therefore I will not support any event taking place in any body of water located in the Middle East."

Where do you get this sort of Comment? Link or Source please!

6 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

What is the source of your quote?

Just now, porthos said:

What is the source of your quote?

Chobani frequently seems to have an inside track at INEOS, but I suspect that requires a certain level of anonymity to continue. I would not take it at face value, but neither would I dismiss it out of hand.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, accnick said:

Chobani frequently seems to have an inside track at INEOS, but I suspect that requires a certain level of anonymity to continue. I would not take it at face value, but neither would I dismiss it out of hand.

If Terry Hutchinson would be saying that it would be a lot more believable than Jim Ratcliffe saying it I think!

3 minutes ago, accnick said:

I certainly don't want to discourage or make it more difficult for someone to share some inside baseball. Given that Chobani used actual quotes, I was curious about the form of the alleged communication. Seems to indicate something more formal.

In any event, I hope the quote is true. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, porthos said:

I certainly don't want to discourage or make it more difficult for someone to share some inside baseball. Given that Chobani used actual quotes, I was curious about the form of the alleged communication. Seems to indicate something more formal.

In any event, I hope the quote is true. 

I believe the apparent quote from Pete Burling via Farevela that "Negotiations between Spanish Government and TNZ progressing positivly" more than I believe JR's quote to be fair.

1 hour ago, porthos said:

Okay. How does SailGP figure into the AC37 funding?

There was suddenly a “one off race” between NZ, Spain and the US which was never mentioned prior, or after. NZ won, so perhaps this was part of the Spanish bid toward AC37.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I believe the apparent quote from Pete Burling via Farevela that "Negotiations between Spanish Government and TNZ progressing positivly" more than I believe JR's quote to be fair.

Does Pete Burling have a contract with TNZ? 

Just now, Chobani Sailor said:

One would assume he would. He did after Bermuda which meant he had scheduled attendance dates which forced him to miss a leg or two of the VOR in 2018. Hard to see Dalton not giving him one, especially as we know critical members of the team have been retained and are working toward the next cycle.

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

There was suddenly a “one off race” between NZ, Spain and the US which was never mentioned prior, or after. NZ won, so perhaps this was part of the Spanish bid toward AC37.

Could be! Maybe it was a test to see how well received another AC would be in Spain?

5 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

To be quite fair mate I don't believe MW when he says that Burling/Tuke haven't resigned with TNZ.

He also says that there is a collaboration Annoucement between Red Bull & Alinghi this week which I have questioned as well. Why the heck would Bertarelli (and I actually met him when I was in VLC in 2007) announce anything before the AC37 Protocol is published? Doesn't make any to me! You don't announce anything before you have seen the Rules (Protocol) unless you're the CoR which Alinghi isn't!

14 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

That's what I missed. Thanks. 

@Chobani Sailor

From Richard Gladwell...

While the INEOS Britannia and Mercedes-AMG-Petronas relationship has been formally announced, a second one between potential challenger Alinghi is rumoured - with some hiring believed to have been done, but nothing yet announced.

That may not happen until the Protocol is announced in five weeks - and Ernesto Bertarelli can get a look at the nationality clause and maybe see if his twice America's Cup champion Alinghi can masquerade as an "Emerging Team" and be allowed to run a multi-national crew.

I one I put in bold/black is the KEY here I think!

Seems like it would be easy to pick any valid club from an emerging nation to challenge from. Probably with financial benefits to this as well!

You're not locked in to defend there if you win, so what's the issue?

1 minute ago, Jethrow said:

Seems like it would be easy to pick any valid club from an emerging nation to challenge from. Probably with financial benefits to this as well!

You're not locked in to defend there if you win, so what's the issue?

You don't announce as a "Normal Challenger" unless you have seen the Rules (Protocol). That's always how it has been unless you are the Challenger of Record.

Yeah I get that DG, and the devil will be in the detail as far as the protocol is concerned.

My comment was more of a broader "out there question" that in the current situation of commercial teams with token club oversight, any team can be an emerging nation challenger, given the right financial backing.

17 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@Chobani Sailor

From Richard Gladwell...

While the INEOS Britannia and Mercedes-AMG-Petronas relationship has been formally announced, a second one between potential challenger Alinghi is rumoured - with some hiring believed to have been done, but nothing yet announced.

That may not happen until the Protocol is announced in five weeks - and Ernesto Bertarelli can get a look at the nationality clause and maybe see if his twice America's Cup champion Alinghi can masquerade as an "Emerging Team" and be allowed to run a multi-national crew.

I one I put in bold/black is the KEY here I think!

RedBull Racing - that's pretty known already .

4 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Yeah I get that DG, and the devil will be in the detail as far as the protocol is concerned.

My comment was more of a broader "out there question" that in the current situation of commercial teams with token club oversight, any team can be an emerging nation challenger, given the right financial backing.

I know what you mean mate but there will surely be some clauses in the Protocol that you just can't raise your hand up and say "I am an Emerging Nation". It's not and will not be that simple methinks. As you said everything will be in the Details!

Grant Dalton would love nothing more than to knock down Ernesto I can tell you that!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, porthos said:

I ask because I do not know: was there some report of schmoozing from TNZ with anyone from Spain about AC37 while the SailGP regatta was going on? I hadn't seen anything but I also barely had time to watch the regatta (delayed) this past weekend. Is the suggestion that somehow seeing sailboats bus around Cadiz was influential in helping Spain decide to invest money in AC37? That would seem odd. Spain has plenty of prior experience with the AC, so I'm not sure how SailGP would have any influence on that.

3 hours ago, porthos said:

Okay. How does SailGP figure into the AC37 funding?

King of Spain kicked off the regatta 

Screenshot_20211012-212835_Briefing.jpg

So a one off, smile  for the camera race arranged so late in the day that it didn’t appear on any official program in the build up to the event is somehow actually part of the overall funding master plan from Grant? get fucked haha!

( not you clew, just the big plan idea) 

56 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

So a one off, smile  for the camera race arranged so late in the day that it didn’t appear on any official program in the build up to the event is somehow actually part of the overall funding master plan from Grant? get fucked haha!

( not you clew, just the big plan idea) 

The only "Overall funding master plan" is to ensure you get some.

Since Spain is apparently back on the table, yes. It may just be part of the overall plan of getting funding.

So Yes. They are under contract with ETNZ until December.

Fair enough that they want clarity. Kind of shoots that "theory" out of the water that ETNZ already knows the venue and are keeping it secret. 

Peter Burling and Blair Tuke waiting for America's Cup 'clarity' before re-signing with Team New Zealand

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/sailing-peter-burling-and-blair-tuke-waiting-for-americas-cup-clarity-before-re-signing-with-team-new-zealand/4KTCVRHLDJXATWWBC3EIDHJG7U/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=nzh_fb&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3BHLXEKdeQwT3E8ovFhNhrD-RvCjGEmwaJbFtnW5BsSi3yEzvq7McjPns#Echobox=1634099009

If as suggested, Pete and Blair have not yet signed, it leads to a few questions:

1) What is it that they want "clarity" on first?

a) It seems unlikely that they would not sign a contract just because the event is in Cork or Valencia. Are they saying they would not sign if it is ME?

b) OR is there not enough money on the table until the venue is agreed?

2) If another team came up with a good offer in the meantime, would they think of their families and accept that?

If indeed INEOS objected to Jeddah - an excellent move to ensure TNZ won’t be awash in funds under any alternative venue - the next logical move would be to have second thoughts about the nationality clause, thus facilitating a Kiwi crew exodus

9 minutes ago, Xlot said:

If indeed INEOS objected to Jeddah - an excellent move to ensure TNZ won’t be awash in funds under any alternative venue - the next logical move would be to have second thoughts about the nationality clause, thus facilitating a Kiwi crew exodus

oh.

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

If as suggested, Pete and Blair have not yet signed, it leads to a few questions:

2) If another team came up with a good offer in the meantime, would they think of their families and accept that?

its for the children.

48 minutes ago, Xlot said:

I think they would be more interested in the design team, and no nationality clause there anyway

3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

a) It seems unlikely that they would not sign a contract just because the event is in Cork or Valencia. Are they saying they would not sign if it is ME?

It means they're waiting until the Protocol is released, so they have certainty regarding what the next 3 years look like, where they base themselves, what their travel schedule looks like, especially with the new 40 regattas, as well as if and how their potential Olympic aspirations fit into the AC over the next few years.

They'll sign, but until the protocol is released, they don't have certainty as to what the next 3 years look like.

They've sailed regattas in the ME in the past, so thats obviously not an issue for them.

10 hours ago, Forourselves said:

So Yes. They are under contract with ETNZ until December.

Fair enough that they want clarity. Kind of shoots that "theory" out of the water that ETNZ already knows the venue and are keeping it secret. 

Peter Burling and Blair Tuke waiting for America's Cup 'clarity' before re-signing with Team New Zealand

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/sailing-peter-burling-and-blair-tuke-waiting-for-americas-cup-clarity-before-re-signing-with-team-new-zealand/4KTCVRHLDJXATWWBC3EIDHJG7U/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=nzh_fb&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3BHLXEKdeQwT3E8ovFhNhrD-RvCjGEmwaJbFtnW5BsSi3yEzvq7McjPns#Echobox=1634099009

Wouldn't this just be another one of TNZ's amazing Machiavellian ruses?

9 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Wouldn't this just be another one of TNZ's amazing Machiavellian ruses?

Talk about an oxymoron. If you want to know what a real Machiavellian ruse looks like, see the Team NYYC thread

So on the one hand we are told B&T will sign, so forget about it. Then, in the same breath we are told they are waiting because they need to ensure certainty on the next three years.

Both cannot be true, except in a certain mind of course. The mind that must not be named. :lol:

Just now, Gissie said:

So on the one hand we are told B&T will sign, so forget about it. Then, in the same breath we are told they are waiting because they need to ensure certainty on the next three years.

Both cannot be true, except in a certain mind of course. The mind that must not be named. :lol:

Both were true last time.

Burling & Tuke said even before AC36 that they wanted to TOR in an IMOCA. TOR or formerly VOR is the one thing that's missing from their collection.

I just can't fathom them not signing up with TNZ for AC37. They will!

Grant Dalton said the new AC40 OD-Class won't be ready to race until 2023.

33 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I just can't fathom them not signing up with TNZ for AC37. They will!

Maybe they are taking a page out of Daltons book on negotiating. See how much money is on offer then tell them hem they’re joking. Put the word out you can be purchased for the right money. 

Loyalty comes with a price. 

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

If Jim Ratcliffe said no to the ME then that's it: GAME OVER!

No one even knows if the ME has EVER been on the table. By the way, the Merc F1 team are about to race the brand new Jeddah supposedly fastest F1 track in the world. So Its clear the Merc team have no issues with Jeddah. And Ratcliffe better tread carefully if hes gonna run his mouth about SA now that hes partnered with the Mercedes team. It may cause ripples within F1 as well. If Alinghi is also partnered with another F1 team, theyd also have no issue with Jeddah.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

No one even knows if the ME has EVER been on the table. By the way, the Merc F1 team are about to race the brand new Jeddah supposedly fastest F1 track in the world. So Its clear the Merc team have no issues with Jeddah. And Ratcliffe better tread carefully if hes gonna run his mouth about SA now that hes partnered with the Mercedes team. It may cause ripples within F1 as well. If Alinghi is also partnered with another F1 team, theyd also have no issue with Jeddah.

Total nonsense from you!

F1 Teams Racing in Abu Dhabi for the past 10 years as well.

The Difference between having an AC in the ME compared to having a F1 Race in Jeddah or Abu Dhabi is vastly different. F1 Teams spent 2 Weeks max on at the Venue not 6 or 7 months.

Particularly President Biden and former President Trump have pretty much alienated every ally there was in the ME. Having an US or UK Challenger in the ME can get pretty dangerous with the emergence of ISIS-K being a very severe threat now.

3 hours ago, chesirecat said:

If one is going to recruit anyone from TNZ then it would be Glen A. He was noticeably non committal in Shirley's interview.

I picked up on that too. I couldn't decided if he was wanting time out from TNZ or the AC in general. He'd get paid well by any team to come back.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

What is the nationality clause on sailing crew? I thought they had to have residential status from April 2021 unless it was a new emerging nation team. 

Or do we wait until the Protocol is published on 17th November and then any rationality clause for crew will not kick in until, say January 2022 or even later? I guess they would need to give crew up to six months to make their moves. Unless Ineos and ETNZ want to play the home advantage and prevent non nationals moving around.

4 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I picked up on that too. I couldn't decided if he was wanting time out from TNZ or the AC in general. He'd get paid well by any team to come back.

He's really a helm not a skipper. It's never easy in a situation when you are not actually helming, so if an AC team offers a bucket load of loot to helm plus design and operations imput, it would be a smart career move. 

6 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Worry about who Your “home” team have or as it stands haven’t partnered with before worrying about others 

also ownership is different from partnering. 
jim owns a third of the F1 team 

Ernesto owns fuck all of red bull 

16 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Worry about who Your “home” team have or as it stands haven’t partnered with before worrying about others 

also ownership is different from partnering. 
jim owns a third of the F1 team 

Ernesto owns fuck all of red bull 

Why worry? Team NZ is the longest running AC team in the history of the Cup.

No need to worry.

Also, even if they are partnering, if they mouth off the Saudi's, they may at the very least tell Mercedes to reign their partner in. Or they may do worse. Not sure F1 wants to piss off their Saudi partners/ sponsors.

9 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Why am I not surprised,  you and Grant have been sucking on that Emerati cock for years

must be a tough habit to kick. ;-) 

So what Sunseeker comes back and starts going on like a little 12 year old homophobe and you decide oh he's cool I might to do the same thing he did and follow him like the little sheep that you are.

Fuck off with your little dumbass homophobic comments.

Its not the 80's anymore dickhead.

2 hours ago, winchfodder said:

and then any rationality clause for crew will not kick in until, say January 2022 or even later? I guess they would need to give crew up to six months to make their moves. 

15 hours ago, Forourselves said:
18 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Expand  

It means they're waiting until the Protocol is released, so they have certainty regarding what the next 3 years look like, where they base themselves, what their travel schedule looks like, especially with the new 40 regattas, as well as if and how their potential Olympic aspirations fit into the AC over the next few years.

They'll sign, but until the protocol is released, they don't have certainty as to what the next 3 years look like.

They've sailed regattas in the ME in the past, so thats obviously not an issue for them.

I agree with your comments FS they have a lot to consider. There is off course some "BUTS" that must be attached to the current scenario. Money is one. The second clearly revolves around are there any scenarios where they wouldn't sign due to the Protocol? So is Grant Dalton negotiating with their interests/preferences in mind or will he do the deal and then break the news? The front page says they could be linked to Coutts & Butterworth but I find that one hard to believe despite B&T's involvement in SailGP. I am certainly of the belief that Team NZ don't wan't to lose their dynamic duo or do you believe they are dispensable in the Dalton Scheme of Things? 

5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I am certainly of the belief that Team NZ don't wan't to lose their dynamic duo or do you believe they are dispensable in the Dalton Scheme of Things? 

Why not, everything else seems to be.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I agree with your comments FS they have a lot to consider. There is off course some "BUTS" that must be attached to the current scenario. Money is one. The second clearly revolves around are there any scenarios where they wouldn't sign due to the Protocol? So is Grant Dalton negotiating with their interests/preferences in mind or will he do the deal and then break the news? The front page says they could be linked to Coutts & Butterworth but I find that one hard to believe despite B&T's involvement in SailGP. I am certainly of the belief that Team NZ don't wan't to lose their dynamic duo or do you believe they are dispensable in the Dalton Scheme of Things? 

I think if it were a choice of getting the money he wants or keeping Pete and Blair then GD would take the money. He knows its primarily a design competition. He also knows there are other good sailors in the background who would jump at the chance. NZ may not have the depth of GB but nor is Pete so far ahead of Josh (say) to make losing the money worth it

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I definitely believe ETNZ don't want to, and certainly will do their utmost to keep Burling and Tuke, and I believe Burling and Tuke will also show some flexibility and do everything they can to stay with the team, but at the end of the day, if the schedules don't suit, or the money isn't right, or both, Burling and Tuke have proved they are the hottest commodity in world sailing right now, and they will land somewhere that suits them, and I'm fine with that, just like I'm fine with the defence being held offshore. Would I prefer they stay with the team? Of course, but its their call. But they've also done more than enough for the team. They've challenged and won, and defended and won. 

2 hours ago, chesirecat said:

He's really a helm not a skipper. It's never easy in a situation when you are not actually helming, so if an AC team offers a bucket load of loot to helm plus design and operations imput, it would be a smart career move. 

Mmm, I think Glen has been a key leader in the team for a while. I recognize that he has chops as a helm, but that's normally solo. His contribution as a skipper has been huge, and there is an entire book to be written about his sail design, sail control design, and sail handling acumen. I hope the book gets penned soonish, would be fascinating.

• Like 3

B&T now have a real market value which was not the case earlier - Dalton famously keeps everyone except himself on short rations and squeals poverty at the slightest provocation so would expect them to do what every other Kiwi with a market value does and leg it to the best wallet. 

Dalton won't pay that, and if the nationalist card doesn't come with enough $$$$$$$$ then why wouldn't they head out.  And after all, poor GD has to pay for his new motor cat and nice houses so doesn't leave much else to be shared around;)

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

I definitely believe ETNZ don't want to, and certainly will do their utmost to keep Burling and Tuke, and I believe Burling and Tuke will also show some flexibility and do everything they can to stay with the team, but at the end of the day, if the schedules don't suit, or the money isn't right, or both, Burling and Tuke have proved they are the hottest commodity in world sailing right now, and they will land somewhere that suits them, and I'm fine with that, just like I'm fine with the defence being held offshore. Would I prefer they stay with the team? Of course, but its their call. But they've also done more than enough for the team. They've challenged and won, and defended and won. 

So are Kiwis going to demonize this hottest commodity like the last for getting paid?

Longest running AC team? Well if you discount all the longer running teams I suppose

B&T the hottest commodities in sailing? I doubt they'd make the top 5 by any objective measure (lets be fair still pretty good but cut the ridiculous hyperbole shall we)

35 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Longest running AC team? Well if you discount all the longer running teams I suppose

B&T the hottest commodities in sailing? I doubt they'd make the top 5 by any objective measure (lets be fair still pretty good but cut the ridiculous hyperbole shall we)

Yes they are.

And yes they are. Even Coutts and Shirley Robertson said they were.

No hyperbole here.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:53 AM, NeedAClew said:

Maybe Larry pays better and they get to keep the money they raise for their SGP team and use it for that not give it to GD. 

It could just be that Sail GP is evolving into a functional global sporting league that can be counted upon rather than a homeless quadrennial clusterfuck run by lawyers.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

It could just be that Sail GP is evolving into a functional global sporting league that can be counted upon rather than a homeless quadrennial clusterfuck run by lawyers.

If the Cup can't get its ACT together that's excatly where we are heading!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

If the Cup can't get its ACT together that's excatly where we are heading!

Get it’s act together in what way? The D and CoR are deciding the venue as we speak, the protocol is “on track” for publication on Nov 17, and the teams have decided a continuation of class for at least 1 more cycle for the first time since the IACC class. It always gets messy in between events but that’s what gives the AC its intrigue. SailGP is manufactured drama. Fake drama. The AC is real world drama. 

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Get it’s act together in what way? The D and CoR are deciding the venue as we speak, the protocol is “on track” for publication on Nov 17, and the teams have decided a continuation of class for at least 1 more cycle for the first time since the IACC class. It always gets messy in between events but that’s what gives the AC its intrigue. SailGP is manufactured drama. Fake drama. The AC is real world drama. 

SailGP is on a solid footing & foundation with 10 Teams competing next year.

The next time we will see two AC75's in a hand-to-hand combat on the Race Track will be in 2024 or 2025.

The AC had a chance to built on the well-received Auckland AC36 with these really cool Boats. They have failed!

• Like 1

If they had not been so scared of busting their boats, a speed run after the Cup would have bred some excitement about the AC75s.  After all the hype about how fast they were going to be, they never sailed in conditions that let them go to the max.  Or maybe they just need trainer wheel wind ranges always with B2s?  In which case they best fix that for next Cup or yawn.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

SailGP is on a solid footing & foundation with 10 Teams competing next year.

The next time we will see two AC75's in a hand-to-hand combat on the Race Track will be in 2024 or 2025.

The AC had a chance to built on the well-received Auckland AC36 with these really cool Boats. They have failed!

The 52 SS is on a solid footing next year, the GC32s are on a solid footing, the RC44 is on a solid footing. Hell even the TF35 is on a solid footing. None have the tradition, prestige or history of the AC. 
So what? The IACC was every 4 years, there was 5 years between 95 and 2000. There was no real racing of AC boats for 4 years in between 2013 and 2017, there was no racing in between 2027 and 2021. 
The boats were cool in 2021 as you said and they’ll be cool again in 2024 whenever they’re raced again. It hasn’t even been 12 months since the last cup. Infact it’s only been 6 and a half months for god sake. 
Some people are so impatient.

32 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The 52 SS is on a solid footing next year, the GC32s are on a solid footing, the RC44 is on a solid footing. Hell even the TF35 is on a solid footing. None have the tradition, prestige or history of the AC. 
So what? The IACC was every 4 years, there was 5 years between 95 and 2000. There was no real racing of AC boats for 4 years in between 2013 and 2017, there was no racing in between 2027 and 2021. 
The boats were cool in 2021 as you said and they’ll be cool again in 2024 whenever they’re raced again. It hasn’t even been 12 months since the last cup. Infact it’s only been 6 and a half months for god sake. 
Some people are so impatient.

You got to race these Boats to keep the Excitement up! If there is a 3-year Delay before they race them again all the Excitement that has been building up during AC36 is gone!

8 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

I wonder about this too, clearly for a pair of AC cycles they've had the better boats. On an even playing field, recent results aren't exactly dominant. Why is that?

27 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

I wonder about this too, clearly for a pair of AC cycles they've had the better boats. On an even playing field, recent results aren't exactly dominant. Why is that?

Clearly everyone who has been successful in the AC has had the faster boat. Doesn’t make the achievement or the sailors any less sought after. Dennis Connor had the faster boat, Russell Coutts had the faster boat, Brad Butterworth had the faster boat, Jimmy Spithill had the faster boat, Pete Burling had the faster boat. Burling and Coutts also have an Olympic Gold and silver. Burling and Tuke went a step further and got a podium in the Volvo too. Hottest commodity? Yes.

32 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Clearly everyone who has been successful in the AC has had the faster boat. Doesn’t make the achievement or the sailors any less sought after. Dennis Connor had the faster boat, Russell Coutts had the faster boat, Brad Butterworth had the faster boat, Jimmy Spithill had the faster boat, Pete Burling had the faster boat. Burling and Coutts also have an Olympic Gold and silver. Burling and Tuke went a step further and got a podium in the Volvo too. Hottest commodity? Yes.

Let's be honest, losing that Olympic Gold to Dylan Fletcher/Stuart Bithell and the way how they lost it was a huge shot in the arm.

Surely they expected better from themselves in SailGP as well.

The Bottom Line is this: @buckdougeris totally right when he says they look a lot more ordinary when there is a level playing and they have not the big Design Advantage to rely on they had in the last two Cups.

With the AC75 staying for AC37 I expect the Challengers to creep into that TNZ Design Advantage.

• Like 1
On 10/13/2021 at 12:06 PM, Xlot said:

Clearly Ratcliffe doesn’t have the killer instinct that Ellison had. He should do everything he can to money whip Dalton.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

How many times did you cum writing that?

1 hour ago, buckdouger said:

Why is that?

The 15 minute races are a bit of a lottery, which is why the results have been shared around quite a bit. It's a strange sailing test. Too short imo, even for non sailing types who might have short attention spans for sail boat races. It's this massive logistical effort for two 45 minute sessions.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, sunseeker said:

Clearly Ratcliffe doesn’t have the killer instinct that Ellison had. He should do everything he can to money whip Dalton.

Ratcliffe stated that he does not want to buy the cup, there is clearly a difference between him and Ellison who doesn't mind spending to crush the opposition compared to Ratcliffe who gets his satisfaction from winning a fair contest.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Let's be honest, losing that Olympic Gold to Dylan Fletcher/Stuart Bithell and the way how they lost it was a huge shot in the arm.

Surely they expected better from themselves in SailGP as well.

The Bottom Line is this: @buckdougeris totally right when he says they look a lot more ordinary when there is a level playing and they have not the big Design Advantage to rely on they had in the last two Cups.

With the AC75 staying for AC37 I expect the Challengers to creep into that TNZ Design Advantage.

Lets be honest, they missed the gold by 1 second.

Maybe they did expect better in SailGP, but clearly they are as passionate if not more passionate about their Live Ocean Foundation and the work they do alongside them as they are about sailing, so perhaps SailGP is more an exposure vehicle for their foundation than it is a real goal. 

Slingsby, Outteridge and Spithill seem to be doing everything they can to win SailGP, where Pete and Blair seem to be more about their Live Ocean cause.