The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

4 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Until Ineos and AM teardown their bases you cannot rule Auckland out.

This is nonsense! Doesn't matter at all if the bases are still there or not! They don't need to tear down their Bases because Auckland will most likely get an America's Cup World Series Event in the new AC40 Class (which is much cheaper to organize) EVEN if they don't get the Cup itself. Grant Dalton hinted at that during June/July!

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Hamish Ross and the Discrimination Issue: This will be long, pedantic, and legal.  I apologize for the length; read at your own risk. Hamish Ross has recently claimed on multiple occasion

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Best I can tell, neither Ineos nor AM will go to the ME. Leaving only LR unless Bertelli doesn’t care for that either, and the remotely-possible and mythical EB Challenge from.. the Zimbabwe YC? 

How many teams are these venues being told will rock up? AUK seems the best bet all-around so far. 

Ainslie will go where ever he has to win the Cup. Morality aside, The fact is you can’t win if you don’t turn up.

14 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Ainslie will go where ever he has to win the Cup. Morality aside, The fact is you can’t win if you don’t turn up.

Are the penniless Kiwi's going to call his bluff though? GD has put his team into a corner here.

20 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I really don't get it!!!! When do @Gissie & @Stingray~finally give up on Auckland to host AC37? Seriously! There is no money to stage the Event.

The only way I can see the focus shift back to Auckland is if they delay AC37 by one year to 2025.

When will dg learn enough english to be able to pass a basic comprehension test.

I have been quite clear that the only chance it will be in Auckland is if there is no other offer. Dalton doesn't do humility well and he would need to be cap in hand to come back. My preference is this does not happen and that he takes the team away, hopefully losing the NZ part from the name at the same time.

As for delaying by one year, why on earth would that make any difference. They have spurned what most consider a fair offer, one more year will make no difference. I can only assume you dream that a new government might come up with double the money. This would require two things, firstly the teams would need to be happy to wait 2+ years before a possible venue is named. Secondly, that a new government is prepared to waste its political capital on a pro race team that has tried and failed to whore the event elsewhere.

Neither of these conditions are likely, so Auckland is really off the table,which is good news to me. Short of no other venue coming to the party of course.

15 minutes ago, Gissie said:

When will dg learn enough english to be able to pass a basic comprehension test.

I have been quite clear that the only chance it will be in Auckland is if there is no other offer. Dalton doesn't do humility well and he would need to be cap in hand to come back. My preference is this does not happen and that he takes the team away, hopefully losing the NZ part from the name at the same time.

As for delaying by one year, why on earth would that make any difference. They have spurned what most consider a fair offer, one more year will make no difference. I can only assume you dream that a new government might come up with double the money. This would require two things, firstly the teams would need to be happy to wait 2+ years before a possible venue is named. Secondly, that a new government is prepared to waste its political capital on a pro race team that has tried and failed to whore the event elsewhere.

Neither of these conditions are likely, so Auckland is really off the table,which is good news to me. Short of no other venue coming to the party of course.

You need to throw your bonaheaded Labor Government under the bus. New Government with a similar person like Helen Cark and Auckland is back on the table IMO.

Jacinda & cohorts are worse than Joe Biden + Snarkmala Harris.

1 minute ago, pusslicker said:

Are the penniless Kiwi's going to call his bluff though? GD has put his team into a corner here.

It would also require KSA to believe it was a bluff. Why would they give lots to an event that may only have one challenger.

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Mostly agreed.

MW is hearing from whoever-all that (instead of this past week) we will hear something next week. Shrug.. Maybe it will be just (E) T (NZ) in Jedda in ‘25 against… a potential Ralph Lauren panties S+S? :D 

S&S/NYYC team will be dead by the end of the week....

4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You need to throw your bonaheaded Labor Government under the bus. New Government with a similar person like Helen Cark and Auckland is back on the table IMO.

Jacinda & cohorts are worse than Joe Biden + Snarkmala Harris.

Maybe, but that will still need another 2 years and no way the team can wait that long. Especially as there would be no guarantee the replacement would think a bunch of pro's that are behaving like a bunch of ho's would deserve such largesse.

26 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

S&S/NYYC team will be dead by the end of the week....

Let me guess: AM won that inconsequentially silly war? 

I doubt AM is going to go with the NYYC if prancing around in RL underpants is a Club rule.. 

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Mostly agreed.

MW is hearing from whoever-all that (instead of this past week) we will hear something next week. Shrug.. Maybe it will be just (E) T (NZ) in Jedda in ‘25 against… a potential Ralph Lauren panties S+S? :D 

Two points 

The "T" should be in brackets too because if Blair & Tuke jump ship the team will be gone.

Secondly, if Ineos don't want it in ME then they can prevent it as COR. All they have to do is say no and threaten to issue a DOG challenge in the right period when ME is off the table. So it will not be S&S or Prada against (E)(T)(NZ) in ME

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Two points 

The "T" should be in brackets too because if Blair & Tuke jump ship the team will be gone.

Secondly, if Ineos don't want it in ME then they can prevent it as COR. All they have to do is say no and threaten to issue a DOG challenge in the right period when ME is off the table. So it will not be S&S or Prada against (E)(T)(NZ) in ME

So.. EETME? :D 

The funniest thing for me is how much fun is to laugh about how stupidly unpredictable this all is. :D 

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Somebody SHOULD issue a DoG challenge and let Dalts figure out how to pay for a defense and boat for THAT.

Until the challenge that is already on the table and has been accepted is dealt with, that can't happen.

Just now, NeedAClew said:

How did 2010 happen?

The original challenge by the non-compliant "club" was ruled invalid by the NY court after Larry sued. In this case there is little realistic chance of the RYS challenge being ruled invalid, unless you believe in conspiracy theories.

9 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Can a challenger switch to a DoG challenge if the defender is not delivering the match they had a meeting of the minds on? Eg few teams, bad location, etc.? 

Here's what the Deed says:

"The Club challenging for the Cup and the Club holding the same may by mutual consent make any arrangement satisfactory to both as to the dates, courses, number of trials, rules and sailing regulations, and any and all other conditions of the match, in which case also the ten months’ notice may be waived.

In case the parties cannot mutually agree upon the terms of a match, then three races shall be sailed, and the winner of two of such races shall be entitled to the Cup. All such races shall be on ocean courses, free from headlands, as follows: the first race, twenty nautical miles to windward and return; the second race, an equilateral triangular race of thirty-nine nautical miles, the first side of which shall be a beat to windward; the third race, (if necessary), twenty nautical miles to windward and return; and one week day shall intervene between the conclusion of one race and the starting of the next race. These ocean courses shall be practicable in all parts for vessels of twenty-two feet draught of water and shall be selected by the Club holding the Cup; and these races shall be sailed subject to its rules and sailing regulations so far as the same do not conflict with the provisions of this deed of gift, but without any time allowances whatever. The challenged Club shall not be required to name its representative vessel until at the time agreed upon for the start, but the vessel when named must compete in all the races; and each of such races must be completed within seven hours."

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Can a challenger switch to a DoG challenge if the defender is not delivering the match they had a meeting of the minds on? Eg few teams, bad location, etc.? 

That's more or less what happened in 2010. Once the court kicked CNEV to the curb, GGYC and SNG tried to settle on some basics for the next match, couldn't agree on anything, and basically said "f-it, see you at the line." In other words, it devolved into a Deed match rather than starting out that way.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Bens already stated the protocol is “on track” to be released on the 17th of Nov.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Bens already stated the protocol is “on track” to be released on the 17th of Nov.

Is that like the venue was on track to be released mid September? :lol:

Still, using you logic on the venue, a statement that the protocol is still being worked on would work.

2 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Sounds like a good idea to me. 

It's not happening this time!

Unlike the CNEV, which was a illegal Yacht Club, the Royal Yacht Squadron isn't. It's going to be awfully hard to get them replaced.

Also, RNZYS & RYS have mostly agreed the Terms of the new Protocol except for the Venue maybe. Given the over 13-year strong Relationship between Ben Ainslie & Grant Dalton I doubt Jamie Sheldon/Bertie Bicket would change their Challenge to a DoG Challenge.

Going to Court would be the dumbest thing to do given the current state of COVID.

It took the New York Supreme Court 2 1/2 Years to issue a Court Ruling between the Societe Nautique de Geneve & the Golden Gate Yacht Club. Can you imagine how long that would take when COVID-19 is still raging around the world?

4 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Still, using you logic on the venue, a statement that the protocol is still being worked on would work.

Richard Gladwell stated in his latest Article that the Protocol is in the "Final Stages of Negotiation" and I wouldn't be surprised if Ainslie/Ratcliffe/Bicket will be present at the AC Protocol Announcement Nov 17th. This makes most sense (certainly in case of Ainslie) because there is a SailGP Event in Sydney one month later.

Fly to NZ, do 14-Week Quarantine, Protocol Announcement Nov 17, hoop over to a Plane to Sydney, do 14-Week Quarantine, SailGP Event in Sydney and then take a flight back to the UK for Christmas.

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Fly to NZ, do 14-Week Quarantine, Protocol Announcement Nov 17, hoop over to a Plane to Sydney, do 14-Week Quarantine, SailGP Event in Sydney and then take a flight back to the UK for Christmas.

We've toned down quarantine requirements now DG, not 14 weeks anymore ;) :D

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It's not happening this time!

Unlike the CNEV, which was a illegal Yacht Club, the Royal Yacht Squadron isn't. It's going to be awfully hard to get them replaced.

Also, RNZYS & RYS have mostly agreed the Terms of the new Protocol except for the Venue maybe. Given the over 13-year strong Relationship between Ben Ainslie & Grant Dalton I doubt Jamie Sheldon/Bertie Bicket would change their Challenge to a DoG Challenge.

Going to Court would be the dumbest thing to do given the current state of COVID.

It took the New York Supreme Court 2 1/2 Years to issue a Court Ruling between the Societe Nautique de Geneve & the Golden Gate Yacht Club. Can you imagine how long that would take when COVID-19 is still raging around the world?

Once more you show an utter lack of comprehension.

The point was RYS finding a reason to not have MC and thus turning it into a dog match. If they decided to go this route the only court action would be from T(NZ) trying to force MC. In which case the RYS could push through whatever rules they wanted.

As for the long relationship between Dalton and Ainslie, that will mean nothing in the heat of winning the poisoned chalice. Dalton has already shown this with the ease he has tossed NZ aside for 'winning'.

1 minute ago, Gissie said:

Once more you show an utter lack of comprehension.

The point was RYS finding a reason to not have MC and thus turning it into a dog match. If they decided to go this route the only court action would be from T(NZ) trying to force MC. In which case the RYS could push through whatever rules they wanted.

As for the long relationship between Dalton and Ainslie, that will mean nothing in the heat of winning the poisoned chalice. Dalton has already shown this with the ease he has tossed NZ aside for 'winning'.

You are totally wrong here!

From an Article the TIMES.UK posted

Fischer is an undoubted talent but the king of the design castle, in the present era of radical foiling and keelless monohulls, remains TNZ’s Dan Bernasconi, who hails from Warwickshire. Ainslie admitted that he would have hired Bernasconi “in a heartbeat” but said that, with his team working closely with TNZ in the next cup cycle, that was never going to be a realistic possibility. “Out of respect to the Kiwis and our relationship we need to have with them, we didn’t go there,” he said.

Relationship to Grant Dalton means everything to Ben!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Ainslie said it himself. Those are words that he said.

I guess we're hating on Ainslie now too lol

Back under your bridge now troll. Fuck I love this place!

13 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Ainslie said it himself. Those are words that he said.

I guess we're hating on Ainslie now too lol

Back under your bridge now troll. Fuck I love this place!

We'll see. TNZ's track record has been terrible so far. 7 months late on the foil arms and so far at least a couple on the venue. What good is a protocol without a venue?

57 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Relationship to Grant Dalton means everything to Ben!

Assuming Ben had really wanted the guy and didn't poach him to keep friends with Dalton, then he is not the focused professional I thought he was.

If he thinks he would get the same consideration he is an idiot and needs a boss to make the dirty calls. However, I doubt he is either an idiot or a soft touch.

You, not so sure.

10 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

We'll see. TNZ's track record has been terrible so far. 7 months late on the foil arms and so far at least a couple on the venue. What good is a protocol without a venue?

They are not late on the venue at all. They promised an announcement and gave one. "We are still looking for a venue dumb enough to fund us."

They never said it would be an announcement of the actual venue. Just ask one4theteam.

• Like 1
On 10/17/2021 at 3:20 AM, NeedAClew said:

I've never been to a lot of places that I have no desire to see. Lots of people have tham on their bucket lists. They have lots to offer but not what I plan to spend time and money seeing.

KSA and UAE are two.

More include Iceland, Portugal, Brazil, India, Tahiti, Pearl Harbor. All have much to offer but not for me. 

Por que, Portugal?

Ainslie has lost his competitive edge he once had.

He has been too constrained, too polite this whole year whether it's in the AC or in SailGP. He isn't feared anymore which is a shame.

Maybe he should huddle with Lewis Hamilton to get the fire in the belly back. If not quit sailing!

1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Ainslie has lost his competitive edge he once had.

He has been too constrained, too polite this whole year whether it's in the AC or in SailGP. He isn't feared anymore which is a shame.

Maybe he should huddle with Lewis Hamilton to get the fire in the belly back. If not quit sailing!

Are you saying he should kick the shit out of a camera man?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

I'm glad the haters have finally seen the light, that the next defence is going to be a huge success

For one team. The question is which one.

Not that there will be many to chose from...

Wonder how many teams are listed  in ETNZs proposals to potential venues to justify all that money.

Ireland especially won't be impressed if it's just Ineos. We Brits already  have a pretty good idea where Ireland is and what's it like. Unlike many Americans. So it won't encourage much inward investment

• Like 1
1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

Wonder how many teams are listed  in ETNZs proposals to potential venues to justify all that money.

Ireland especially won't be impressed if it's just Ineos. We Brits already  have a pretty good idea where Ireland is and what's it like. Unlike many Americans. So it won't encourage much inward investment

Funny in a laugh/cry sense.

Cork actually sounds good to me touristically although Valencia must surely be better on several counts including race-track wise. Auckland is the ultimate of the current choices for me, AC wise. 

1 minute ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Just in case you haven't clicked on after decades of AC defences there is only ever one defending team.

I feel everyone needs to take a deep breath and wait for the Ground Rules, the Protocol of the 37th AC to be released on Nov 17th before drawing to too many conclusions.

32 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Just in case you haven't clicked on after decades of AC defences there is only ever one defending team.

Oh really, never knew that.

Could you please explain why there is so much talk about challengers, including you. Please note the 's' on the end of challengers.

Plus why does Dalton on about 10+ teams turning up, which is about as accurate as economist predicting the next downturn.

33 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I feel everyone needs to take a deep breath and wait for the Ground Rules, the Protocol of the 37th AC to be released on Nov 17th before drawing to too many conclusions.

So we will get the protocol before we know the venue. :lol:

As for deep breath and waiting. That is done in Sensible Actions, third door on the left. Here we specialise in dreams, innuendos, rumours, idiocy and insults.

14 minutes ago, Gissie said:

As for deep breath and waiting. That is done in Sensible Actions, third door on the left. Here we specialise in dreams, innuendos, rumours, idiocy and insults.

It has happened before you "LITTE JERK"!!!

After Oracle Team USA defended the 34th AC they released the Protocol for AC35 on June 2nd 2014 while San Diego/Chicago/Bermuda was still under Negotiation.

The Venue of the 35th AC was announced on December 6th 2014 fully six months after the Protocol.

18 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

you "LITTE JERK"!!!

:lol: Well there's the insult part of what we do here.

Perhaps you should take a deep breath like someone suggested just before before. Oh bugger, that was you wasn't it. You must be one of those 'do as I say not what I do' type of people.

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

And the Defender lost. Karma.

If the team succeeds in getting a good offer, takes it offshore and loses, that would make it two out of two. Is the cup unhappy with such actions and who would want to risk doing it again. :(

10 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

And the Defender lost. Karma.

If a Mutual Consent is reached by the Defender and the CoR the Deed doesn't say you have to announce the Venue before the Protocol. That's up to the Defender/CoR!

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

You will get the protocol and the venue at the same time.

26 minutes ago, Gissie said:

If the team succeeds in getting a good offer, takes it offshore and loses, that would make it two out of two. Is the cup unhappy with such actions and who would want to risk doing it again. :(

If the team succeeds in getting a good offer and wins it would make it a 3 peat. The cup is a piece of silverware. It doesn’t get unhappy. Either way, Ainslie is in for the long haul. He’ll either win and have to defend or lose and keep going until he wins. That’s what happens when elite sportsmen like Ainslie set themselves a goal. AM is the same. They’ll either win and defend or lose and challenge till they win. Can’t see LR packing it in either. They’ve come this far, so giving up without a win would seem a shit idea.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:54 PM, Stingray~ said:

TE has some thoughts starting at around 01:17 of his past Friday episode

https://www.facebook.com/SailingIllustratedBlog/videos/1265714440569826/

Interesting and insightful, as always. Thanks for the link.

Putting aside any "ethical" objections, "safety" fears, personal idiosyncrasies, racist bias or whatever you want to call it, could the AC be held in Jiddah in May?  Would that be contrary to the DoG or any other rule?

I'm not asking whether it's the best option, the one that makes most sense or the one you'd prefer. Could they hold all preliminary racing, including the Challenger series before that and start the actual Cup match on May 1st?

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That's possible BUT I wouldn't bet my House on it!

Can’t really produce a protocol without a venue. Surely the protocol incorporates aspects that involve the venue. We’ll either get both at the same time, or both will be delayed. Either way, I’m good with both.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Pizza on Fire said:

Interesting and insightful, as always. Thanks for the link.

Putting aside any "ethical" objections, "safety" fears, personal idiosyncrasies, racist bias or whatever you want to call it, could the AC be held in Jiddah in May?  Would that be contrary to the DoG or any other rule?

I'm not asking whether it's the best option, the one that makes most sense or the one you'd prefer. Could they hold all preliminary racing, including the Challenger series before that and start the actual Cup match on May 1st?

Bold: Has already been discussed hereabouts.

11 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

If the team succeeds in getting a good offer and wins it would make it a 3 peat. The cup is a piece of silverware. It doesn’t get unhappy. Either way, Ainslie is in for the long haul. He’ll either win and have to defend or lose and keep going until he wins. That’s what happens when elite sportsmen like Ainslie set themselves a goal. AM is the same. They’ll either win and defend or lose and challenge till they win. Can’t see LR packing it in either. They’ve come this far, so giving up without a win would seem a shit idea.

That's a pretty bold Statement you make here! You do realize that future Challenges by the Brits depend on $$$, do you?

Jim Ratcliffe doesn't strike me as someone who keeps going until he gets it. He has a Sports Empire with Mercedes GP, the INEOS Grenadiers Cycling Team and various Soccer Clubs around Europe and doesn't neccessarily need the America's Cup to boot with!

This is very, very, very different to Larry Ellison for example. Ellison and his Oracle Corporation dedicated everything to winning the AC from the first Challenge in 2003 to the 2nd Defence in 2017.

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That's a pretty bold Statement you make here! You do realize that future Challenges by the Brits depend on $$$, do you?

Jim Ratcliffe doesn't strike me as someone who keeps going until he gets it. He has a Sports Empire with Mercedes GP, the INEOS Grenadiers Cycling Team and various Soccer Clubs around Europe and doesn't neccessarily need the America's Cup to boot with!

This is very, very, very different to Larry Ellison for example. Ellison and his Oracle Corporation dedicated everything to winning the AC from the first Challenge in 2003 to the 2nd Defence in 2017.

Like you say, Ratcliffe has a sports empire. He’s won pretty much everything. There’s no way he gives up without a win in the AC. 

2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Seeing as “you” run the show ( see the alinghi thread in case you forgot what you wrote) , is that a promise? 

I didn’t forget what I said. I said “we” run the show, not “I” run the show. We clearly meaning the team. Try again:)

24 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Like you say, Ratcliffe has a sports empire. He’s won pretty much everything. There’s no way he gives up without a win in the AC. 

The Guy doesn't have unlimited money to throw around. He spent $150M in the last Cup. Not sure how much AC37 will cost. If INEOS loses yet again having linked up with Mercedes he is gone I think and mostly Ben will be gone too if they lose.

Ainslie is the ANCHOR of this Team whether you like it or not. He put this Team together in 2014.

9 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The Guy doesn't have unlimited money to throw around. He spent $150M in the last Cup. Not sure how much AC37 will cost. If INEOS loses yet again having linked up with Mercedes he is gone I think and mostly Ben will be gone too if they lose.

Ainslie is the ANCHOR of this Team whether you like it or not. He put this Team together in 2014.

Apart from buying 30% of the Mercedes F1 team JR has had nothing to do with their winning, they were winning races and Championships before he arrived to bask in the team glow.

If you watched the F1 guys like James Allison at the launch in Brackley, they all talked about the difficulty of the task in winning the AC and the humility within the F1 team when winning.

Sir  Ben started His team as Ben Ainsley Racing and has run it like the control freak he is, in total contrast to the Mercedes F1 ethos, he will find he has to drop the ego and buckle down to winning it the Mercedes F1 way.

$150M is trouser money to Sir Ratty and he will keep it going with Mercedes Tech help until they win it because like Ben he now knows he needs serious partners to succeed…

43 minutes ago, ro! said:

Apart from buying 30% of the Mercedes F1 team JR has had nothing to do with their winning, they were winning races and Championships before he arrived to bask in the team glow.

If you watched the F1 guys like James Allison at the launch in Brackley, they all talked about the difficulty of the task in winning the AC and the humility within the F1 team when winning.

Sir  Ben started His team as Ben Ainsley Racing and has run it like the control freak he is, in total contrast to the Mercedes F1 ethos, he will find he has to drop the ego and buckle down to winning it the Mercedes F1 way.

$150M is trouser money to Sir Ratty and he will keep it going with Mercedes Tech help until they win it because like Ben he now knows he needs serious partners to succeed…

He needs to get off the Boat! They have a lot of talent in the UK like Dylan Fletcher who has just won GOLD in the 49er, Giles Scott, etc.

Ben needs to act like a CEO and not like having 4 Roles all at once.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

He needs to get off the Boat! They have a lot of talent in the UK like Dylan Fletcher who has just won GOLD in the 49er, Giles Scott, etc.

23 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You shouldn’t have quoted me because you took nothing from it, you have no idea what it’s going to take to win the Cup…

33 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Funnily enough. Dalton is the ONLY one who knows how to win the current AC

That is some serious bragging going on there.

Once he finally finds a venue that will give him enough string free money, then he may have a chance.

The reality is that whoever wins the cup, at whatever venue is finally decided that will be the 'ONLY' person that will know how to do it.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Gissie said:

That is some serious bragging going on there.

Once he finally finds a venue that will give him enough string free money, then he may have a chance.

The reality is that whoever wins the cup, at whatever venue is finally decided that will be the 'ONLY' person that will know how to do it.

The fact is, they are the holders of the cup. The future is decided in the future, and what ever happens in the future is what happens but as of right now, until the current challenge has been decided, Grant Dalton IS the ONLY man who knows how to win it.

Statement from RNZYS:

“Thanks for all of your support as we navigate these challenging waters in our role as Trustee of the America’s Cup. I want to assure you that we take this responsibility seriously and are working closely with Grant Dalton and Emirates Team New Zealand (ETNZ) as we plan to defend the 37th America’s Cup (AC37).

As many of you will be aware, we have a longstanding agreement with ETNZ that means responsibility for conducting the 37th America’s Cup defence, including all aspects of the AC37 organisation, management of racing and fundraising, rests exclusively with them. In return the Club is not required to make any financial contribution to America’s Cup activities, and RNZYS – its officers and members – are fully indemnified from any liability, financial or otherwise. These have been the fundamental principles of our contractual arrangements since the 1995 challenge. It is through these arrangements that we are now in the privileged position of being the Trustee of the Cup for a fourth America’s Cup cycle.

We have complete confidence in ETNZ to run the affairs of the Team and do what it takes to ensure a credible and successful defence and deliver another highly successful event. And all of this in a difficult environment, where they are up against some significant financial challenges and other teams who are considerably more resourced than they are.

ETNZ.jpg?resize=700%2C394&is-pending-loa

It is both ETNZ’s and our preference for this defence to be staged in New Zealand, however the reality is that currently there is not a valid option to do so. That is why at our members briefing in June this year, we outlined the need to explore other options to ensure we keep the Auld Mug in the cabinet here at the Club. It is also very important to us that ETNZ remains viable, that we keep the Team together, and we honour our commitments and undertakings with our Challenger of Record, Royal Yacht Squadron Limited (RYS) and INEOS Britannia (formerly INEOS Team UK).

At this time we do not have a viable New Zealand defence proposition, and as a result ETNZ are in discussions with other potential locations. ETNZ and the club share the view that the absolute priority for AC37 is a credible defence with the goal of winning the Match. It would be an unprecedented achievement to win the America’s Cup three times in a row and taking the defence overseas – while not our preferred choice – may well offer the best chance for us to do so. It is important that you, our valued members and supporters, understand that this might yet need to happen.

Over the last couple of weeks we have been receiving high levels of enquiry from you, our members and in response I wanted to send you this update, and include for your attention some of the most frequently asked questions of us, and our answers to these HERE. I trust that these will go some way to better inform you of our role in the scheme of things, and the current status of issues and discussions.

Finally, I wanted to reassure you that we, as Trustees of the Cup, will keep you fully informed as things progress.

In the meantime if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out and contact either myself or any one of our America’s Cup Committee. We are genuinely here to help, and to support the Club and the General Committee in making decisions that are in the best interests of both the Club and our Emirates Team New Zealand.

I look forward to being able to talk with you again soon in person at the Club and to update you further at our AGM and other forums over coming weeks.”

Kind regards
Aaron Young
Commodore

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The fact is, they are the holders of the cup. The future is decided in the future, and what ever happens in the future is what happens but as of right now, until the current challenge has been decided, Grant Dalton IS the ONLY man who knows how to win it.

You have some serious issues going on. Dalton is the only man who knows how to win it? Really, did the cup only start at AC35? There have been quite a number that have known how to win it. Some of them even knew how to win it when Dalton had no fucking idea and partied early because he thought he did.

The reality is it can only be said these winners 'knew' how to win it. Dalton has known how to win it twice. Maybe he will know how to win it this time, time will tell. But claiming he is the only one who knows how to win it is an insult to all those that came before. You are a cock and an embarrassment for making such ridiculous claims.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Gissie said:

You have some serious issues going on. Dalton is the only man who knows how to win it? Really, did the cup only start at AC35? There have been quite a number that have known how to win it. Some of them even knew how to win it when Dalton had no fucking idea and partied early because he thought he did.

The reality is it can only be said these winners 'knew' how to win it. Dalton has known how to win it twice. Maybe he will know how to win it this time, time will tell. But claiming he is the only one who knows how to win it is an insult to all those that came before. You are a cock and an embarrassment for making such ridiculous claims.

Is there any other team, ANY other team who knows what it takes to design and build, sail and race an AC75 and win the Americas Cup doing it? No, there isn't. Why? Because it took a team led by Grant Dalton to have the balls and the skill to even come up with the AC75 concept.

So YES. Dalton is the ONLY man, the ONLY team leader who knows what it takes to win the AC.

That might change in the future, or it might not. BUT the fact remains, GD is the only leader of an AC team who knows what it takes to win the AC. No one else  can say that.

9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Is there any other team, ANY other team who knows what it takes to design and build, sail and race an AC75 and win the Americas Cup doing it? No, there isn't. Why? Because it took a team led by Grant Dalton to have the balls and the skill to even come up with the AC75 concept.

So YES. Dalton is the ONLY man, the ONLY team leader who knows what it takes to win the AC.

That might change in the future, or it might not. BUT the fact remains, GD is the only leader of an AC team who knows what it takes to win the AC. No one else  can say that.

So he is a reincarnation of Coutts, Conner, let alone Blake etc.

Fuck me, you really are an idiot.

By the way, a pity he didn't know how to win in SF. Oh, that's right the opposition cheated. :lol: Or his girlfriend got in the way.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Gissie said:

"Knew" suggests past tence. Until someone beats him, it remains current. To not be current, would mean Dalton would already have had to have lost the Cup, which he hasn't.

So until he loses the Cup and someone else "knows" what it takes to win, the fact will always remain that Dalton is the ONLY man in the world who knows what it takes to win the  current AC. 

Ellison knew how to win in the AC72, Dalton knew how to win in the AC50, Russell Coutts and Peter Blake knew what it took to win the IACC class.

Dalton knew what it took to win the Whitbread, but there is NO team right now, who knows what it takes to win the Ocean Race in the fully crewed IMOCA class, because no one has done it before. Who ever wins it can claim to "know" what it takes to win, but no one can now.

4 minutes ago, Gissie said:

So he is a reincarnation of Coutts, Conner, let alone Blake etc.

Fuck me, you really are an idiot.

By the way, a pity he didn't know how to win in SF. Oh, that's right the opposition cheated. :lol: Or his girlfriend got in the way.

Again, Couuts never raced an AC75. Neither did Blake.

The AC75's were never raced in San Francisco so they have NOTHING to do with anything that is happening now.

Girlfriends and cheating (WTF) aside, you're really talking shit now because you know I'm right and you have nothing - again.

Dalton is the ONLY person in the world right now, who knows what it takes to win the AC.

That is FACT until he is beaten, and no matter how much crap about cheating and girlfriends you regurgitate, it doesn't change that fact.

You can talk about 2013 all you want, but he's won twice since then, both times convincingly. 8-1 and 7-3. 

Convincing wins.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Funnily enough. Dalton is the ONLY one who knows how to win the current AC

Grant is that you? He isn’t here you bellend  that my point, all your pontificating and statements mean fuck all, no one posting here has a fucking clue, unless you are GD which would explain an awful lot I suppose