The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Hamish Ross and the Discrimination Issue: This will be long, pedantic, and legal.  I apologize for the length; read at your own risk. Hamish Ross has recently claimed on multiple occasion

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Gay marriage in the US was largely still illegal, so they must’ve been.

still no outrage? No?

You have no fucking clue how outraged I was when gay marriage was illegal, maybe I was an activist, who knows? You certainly don't. 

6 hours ago, rh3000 said:

It appears I do...

There is a difference between a pandemic and seasonal virus

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/basics/about.html

Whilst of course environment has an impact, covid appears much less impacted by seasons

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/experts-covid-19-pandemic-unlikely-ebb-weather-warms

Even if warmth were unfavorable for COVID-19, "given the lack of host immunity globally, this reduction in transmission efficiency may not lead to a significant reduction in disease spread without the concomitant adoption of major public health interventions," they wrote. "Given that countries currently in 'summer' climates, such as Australia and Iran, are experiencing rapid virus spread, a decrease in cases with increases in humidity and temperature elsewhere should not be assumed."

I wonder if there has been any further developments in the research over the last 19 months.

Of course not, they knew it all after less than 4 months.

6 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Thanks. You volunteering to do it or do I have to shoot myself?

Was never meaning it should be used, but the lead vaccine would certainly stop people needing a second or third 'shot'.

As an aside, I think for doing it by yourself, the back of the head could be quite difficult.

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

AC37 teams to be forced to be in filmed docudramas per protocol? Better be more interesting than Russell's behind the scenes replays.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/126886312/americas-cup-teams-forced-to-open-doors

My reading is they think it might be a good idea because of the billions that follow the AC so closely. They also mention that it would have to be financially viable, in other words only if some production company is willing to both fund it and also pay extra for the privilege.

So about as good an idea as auctioning off the event. And probably about as successful...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

You have no fucking clue how outraged I was when gay marriage was illegal, maybe I was an activist, who knows? You certainly don't. 

And I don't care. Anyone who is outraged that Saudi Arabia has banned the new Marvel movie, based on Homophobia, and are using it as an excuse as to why the next AC shouldn't be held in SA, must surely have been, and still be outraged that AC 34 was held anywhere in the US in 2013.

51 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

And I don't care. Anyone who is outraged that Saudi Arabia has banned the new Marvel movie, based on Homophobia, and are using it as an excuse as to why the next AC shouldn't be held in SA, must surely have been, and still be outraged that AC 34 was held anywhere in the US in 2013.

You kind of suck at understanding law in the United States. Gay marriage was legal in California by the time AC34 started. In fact, the state legalized gay marriage in 2008, but the law got tied up in the courts until 2013. By the end of 2013, the vast majority of states had legalized gay marriage. The case that made it to the Supreme Court in 2015 only really dealt with the handful of states that still had prohibitions. 

But don’t let that stop you.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

It’s their country, it’s their law.

Not really. If it were a democracy, you might have a point, but the country is run by a very small number of members of a single family whose rule and law is absolute. They can do whatever they want and usually do, with zero accountability to the people of their country and with little regard to international opinion

3 minutes ago, porthos said:

You kind of suck at understanding law in the United States. Gay marriage was legal in California by the time AC34 started. In fact, the state legalized gay marriage in 2008, but the law got tied up in the courts until 2013. By the end of 2013, the vast majority of states had legalized gay marriage. The case that made it to the Supreme Court in 2015 only really dealt with the handful of states that still had prohibitions. 

But don’t let that stop you.

Gay marriage was legalized in 2008, before Proposition 8 was passed which again effectively banned gay marriage, or the issuance of new marriage licenses, that same year.

San Francisco was announced on July 8 2010, The Supreme Court issued its ruling which didn't take effect until June 2013.

So if we're going to compare this cycle to that one, when the racing started is irrelevant, because the racing hasn't yet started now. Infact, the venue hasn't even been announced.

"IF" Jeddah is announced as the host, YES, gay marriage will be illegal, you will not be legally issued a marriage licence, which is the same situation faced in California at the time that San Francisco was announced as the venue for Americas Cup 34.

No one even knows if Jeddah, or anywhere in SA will even end up hosting AC34. Its the only "potential" venue which is complete speculation, complete rumour, so why this is even being argued is stupid.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

"IF" Jeddah is announced as the host, YES, gay marriage will be illegal, you will not be legally issued a marriage licence, which is the same situation faced in California at the time that San Francisco was announced as the venue for Americas Cup 34.

Again, you are so far off the mark it's beyond belief. Did you know you can be executed in KSA for homosexuality - not normally for the first "offence" but it is still a capital crime and certainly used for second "offences". If you aren't killed, you will be flogged, chemically castrated, imprisoned or tortured. You are equating that to whether gay marriage is legal. Seriously, you have some really warped sense of things.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SimonN said:

Again, you are so far off the mark it's beyond belief. Did you know you can be executed in KSA for homosexuality - not normally for the first "offence" but it is still a capital crime and certainly used for second "offences". If you aren't killed, you will be flogged, chemically castrated, imprisoned or tortured. You are equating that to whether gay marriage is legal. Seriously, you have some really warped sense of things.

Then tell Biden, Xinping and Johnson to do something about it! Hell, even Trump wouldn’t touch them! 
Dalton is the CEO of an America’s Cup team not the Secretary General of the fucking United Nations!!

His job is to win the America’s Cup, not solve the worlds political problems.

26 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Then tell Biden, Xinping and Johnson to do something about it! Hell, even Trump wouldn’t touch them! 
Dalton is the CEO of an America’s Cup team not the Secretary General of the fucking United Nations!!

His job is to win the America’s Cup, not solve the worlds political problems.

So why do so many other sports organisations boycott KSA. Even in the UK, a takeover of a premiership football team was blocked by the national body because it was deemed that the purchaser was the KSA and that KSA didn't pass the "fit and proper persons" test for ownership. Only once they proved that the owner wasn't going to be the KSA was the purchase agreed and that has been met by wide condemnation of many in the UK.

Grant Dalton is ultimately responsible and is the de facto trustee of the America's Cup and he should not be allowing the reputation of the cup being tangled with the reputation of KSA. It's not even a case of it might not happen so let's not worry until it does. KSA should never have been considered because the AC should have, like other sports bodies have decided, to never have anything to do with KSA. The fact that other major sports see the problem but Dalton doesn't tells us a lot about his moral compass.

34 minutes ago, SimonN said:

So why do so many other sports organisations boycott KSA. Even in the UK, a takeover of a premiership football team was blocked by the national body because it was deemed that the purchaser was the KSA and that KSA didn't pass the "fit and proper persons" test for ownership. Only once they proved that the owner wasn't going to be the KSA was the purchase agreed and that has been met by wide condemnation of many in the UK.

Grant Dalton is ultimately responsible and is the de facto trustee of the America's Cup and he should not be allowing the reputation of the cup being tangled with the reputation of KSA. It's not even a case of it might not happen so let's not worry until it does. KSA should never have been considered because the AC should have, like other sports bodies have decided, to never have anything to do with KSA. The fact that other major sports see the problem but Dalton doesn't tells us a lot about his moral compass.

Many sports organisations have also inked deals with SA, including boxing, cricket, golf, tennis, the Spanish Football association, WWE and F1.

Saudi athletes are increasingly involved in Olympic competition.

Sport is sport. Politics is politics. 

Keep them separate.

By the way, all the same things you mentioned above also happen in the UAE, yet noone bats an eyelid at Emirates Airlines sponsorship.

Abu Dhabi have even won the Volvo Ocean Race.

Emirates sponsors all sorts of sports, including all the top sports like football, tennis, F1, boxing, cricket, rugby and yes, sailing.

Both Dubai and Abu Dhabi are travel destinations for westerners.

the UAE has change its reputation, so why can't the KSA do the same?

By the way, all the same things you mentioned above also happen in the UAE, yet noone bats an eyelid at Emirates Airlines sponsorship.

Abu Dhabi have even won the Volvo Ocean Race.

Emirates sponsors all sorts of sports, including all the top sports like football, tennis, F1, boxing, cricket, rugby and yes, sailing.

Both Dubai and Abu Dhabi are travel destinations for westerners.

the UAE has change its reputation, so why can't the KSA do the same?

Because the UAE isn't KSA and you need to do some homework to understand the difference. For instance, in KSA, women have no rights. UAE ratified the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Agsainst Women back in 2004, with UAE considered to be the leader in women's rights in the Arab world. Yes, they have a long way to go to get to, say, NZ's standards in human rights, but we are not talking about KSA levels of problems. You cannot compare the 2....well, you probably can but that's because you will forgive and justify anything Dalton does.

Yep, they did.

Alinghi purchased a team and won the AC.

Oracle purchased a team and won the AC too.

It is what it is.

Now the team changes the rules so no one can buy the team.

So it isn't what it is at all.

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Saudi athletes are increasingly involved in Olympic competition.

Sport is sport. Politics is politics. 

Keep them separate.

Seriously. Stop embarrassing yourself (and your fellow kiwis). If you did even a little research you would realise that the IOC (led very strongly by the London Olympics committee) pressured KSA very strongly to enter women athletes or they would be banned. So sport and politics shouldn't always be separate. The SA apartheid boycotts are obvious other examples

If ETNZ were to force some improvement in human rights I could see the merit. But they won't because all he wants is the money

3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Oh and whilst the IOC do let KSA enter (with provisos) they sure as hell wouldn't allow the Olympics to be held there. 

Not sure about your last assumption. They gave the Olympics to PRC and Russia, which are just slightly better. Russia used the resulting sportswashing to deflect from the Crimea invasion, and China used it for... Where shall I start? 

24 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Not sure about your last assumption. They gave the Olympics to PRC and Russia, which are just slightly better. Russia used the resulting sportswashing to deflect from the Crimea invasion, and China used it for... Where shall I start? 

True. But even then I can't see the Olympics going to KSA. Russia and China have much less discrimination against women (especially in sport) and homsexuality at least is not a capital crime there. 

Repugnant as the lack of human rights is in those countries,  they are more places above KSA than KSA is above the bottom of the table. Which shows just how bad KSA is

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Not using it as an excuse. 

pointing out that the Drivel of shit from you and pizza boy about how open and welcoming the regime is and how everybody will be able to come and go as they please with no restrictions ring slightly hollow when the regime gets all upset about a pretend film And bans its release

How do you square that circle

9 hours ago, Forourselves said:

You wanna play the change the comment and quote it game? Two can play that game. 

Again demonstrating your stupidity as I hadn’t actually changed anything you’d written or quoted it. 
do carry on though it’s quite funny seeing you flounder around in your own paddling pool of shit state sponsored propaganda. 

28 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

True. But even then I can't see the Olympics going to KSA. Russia and China have much less discrimination against women (especially in sport) and homsexuality at least is not a capital crime there. 

Repugnant as the lack of human rights is in those countries,  they are more places above KSA than KSA is above the bottom of the table. Which shows just how bad KSA is

I agree. 

10 hours ago, Varan said:

Slow day for the America's Cup...

Yeah, no shit, but more like weeks or months…

Arguing over the ethics, morals, or principles of the business of sports entertainment…is like pissing into the wind, and not expecting to be pelted by the blowback.

FIFA, FIA, the IOC, you name it.  The last one can't even be bothered to actually ban a country that has been systemically cheating for years, and still allows the farce of the "OAR" and "ROC" flags carrying the colors of the country on full display.  Whether it's money, talent, or both, all sport has a very easy time looking the other way, or past transgressions that will seriously impact the status quo.  The show must go on.

The position the Defender finds itself in is hardly surprising, and not unpredictable.  Understandable, even.

The notion that the "sailing-mad" country was all-in, and would support the AC at whatever cost, turned out to be a fantasy.  And that the above reproach, righteous guardians of the Cup would, once back its hands, restore the honor and dignity of the event, and draw an deep pool of challengers, in a Utopian orgy of the Pinnacle of Sailing also has fallen a bit…short, shall we say.

In truth, they must face the same obstacles as everyone else, are subject to the same temptations, same foibles, and aren't really that different.  Just admit that it's dirty, cutthroat game, nobody can avoid the mud and get on with it.

Only the delusional every bought into that Pollyanna myth anyway.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Forourselves said:

No one even knows if Jeddah, or anywhere in SA will even end up hosting AC34. Its the only "potential" venue which is complete speculation, complete rumour, so why this is even being argued is stupid.

Someone has upset the space/time continuum here.

Let's see, can I place bets on the 2016 election and the  2021 Super Bowl?

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

It says:-

John Concannon, the government’s go-to marketing guru, has been steering Ireland’s bid for the America’s Cup yacht race since the start of the year, according to emails released by the Department of Foreign Affairs.

In February, long before the public were aware of Ireland’s interest in hosting the event, Concannon helped to put together a promotional video starring foreign affairs minister and keen sailor Simon Coveney. He staged it at Crosshaven Yacht Club, advising Coveney to wear “casual sailing gear if possible”. The foreign affairs minister was asked to mention that the country would “roll out the green carpet” for visitors because sailing is “in Ireland’s blood”.

Concannon was part of the team that hosted a successful stopover by the Volvo around-the-world yacht race in Galway in 2009. Currently director-general of the Global Ireland project, he previously worked for Dubarry, so he shouldn’t be short of deck shoes if he manages to refloat Ireland’s bid, which looked all but dead in the water a few weeks ago because of unease among officials over the cost.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Seriously. Stop embarrassing yourself (and your fellow kiwis). If you did even a little research you would realise that the IOC (led very strongly by the London Olympics committee) pressured KSA very strongly to enter women athletes or they would be banned. So sport and politics shouldn't always be separate. The SA apartheid boycotts are obvious other examples

If ETNZ were to force some improvement in human rights I could see the merit. But they won't because all he wants is the money

You people... "this country is worse than that country, and that country is just better than that country, that country is repugnant"

Who cares. Obviously not the worlds leaders. They're allies, so yes, sport often looks the other way, as the worlds governments often look the other way. As long as the worlds governments accept it, or aren't prepared to fix it, sport has no chance.

If it can, great, but Dalton has ONE responsibility, and ONE responsibility only. To win the Americas Cup.

6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Lol Jeddah bad, Saudi's bad lol. Conditioned.

25 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Lol Jeddah bad, Saudi's bad lol. Conditioned.

It just seems crazy to taint the name of your country and its national team for a bit of cash to protect a trophy literally only a few thousand people in the world care about. There is such a thing as human rights. Not being forced to wear a fucking tent and be completely owned by your husband is one of them. 50 percent of the population is treated in this manner. You justify it by saying it's their shitty religion and their shitty rules, but it's not. The women there have human rights that outweigh what your pet dictator decrees simply to keep himself in power. You obviously think it's worth it, but it isn't.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, SimonN said:

Not really. If it were a democracy, you might have a point, but the country is run by a very small number of members of a single family whose rule and law is absolute. They can do whatever they want and usually do, with zero accountability to the people of their country and with little regard to international opinion

But they have the cash Dalts so desperately wants. That's all that's important to the shitshow that the AC has become.

Thanks Larry Russel.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Remodel said:

But they have the cash Dalts so desperately wants. That's all that's important to the shitshow that the AC has become.

Thanks Larry Russel.

This is like blaming shit on Trump or Obama. This is all on the kiwis. They chose to fully embrace all the shit from Larry's vision of the Cup. They are just too incompetent to pull it off.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

This is like blaming shit on Trump or Obama. This is all on the kiwis. They chose to fully embrace all the shit from Larry's vision of the Cup. They are just too incompetent to pull it off.

Funny.

Am beginning to think AC37 may actually have to compete with SGP for attention.

The recent TV series Protocol ‘announcement’ to mimic the F1 Driver whatever-show could actually be cool for us hard-core followers and to a wider audience too. I do hope it doesn’t restrict on individual teams’ video production rights, there have been some good ones. 

• Like 1
On 11/5/2021 at 7:32 PM, Sailbydate said:

Ha. What happens when your area has a dry spell and the hydro storage lake is drying up? Can you buy-in 'green power' from a neighbouring area, or will 'less green' power be OK? Would you even know?

Might even have to burn filthy brown coal, like we do, but don't want to talk about it. ;-)

Kind of talking out of my ass here but I believe the likelihood of prolonged drought in the PNW is small, at least I haven't heard mention of it (the snowpack/glacier shrinkage is however a concern).

On the other hand the real damage done is the loss of Pacific Salmon habitat (& Steelhead), on the upside some dams have in fact been removed, the Elwa river out on the strait would be an example.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, animeproblem said:

Kind of talking out of my ass here but I believe the likelihood of prolonged drought in the PNW is small, at least I haven't heard mention of it (the snowpack/glacier shrinkage is however a concern).

On the other hand the real damage done is the loss of Pacific Salmon habitat (& Steelhead), on the upside some dams have in fact been removed, the Elwa river out on the strait would be an example.

The Columbia is there as well. That isn't going anywhere.

3 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Sorry, the Kiwis are just the latest. It really started with Coutts and Bertarelli followed by Coutts and Ellison. I know that Dalton is a fan favorite, but he's just as bad.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Remodel said:

Sorry, the Kiwis are just the latest. It really started with Coutts and Bertarelli followed by Coutts and Ellison. I know that Dalton is a fan favorite, but he's just as bad.

There is a critical difference, both Ernesto and Larry had the cash to be able to sustain their teams. Ernesto actually had a really good deal carved out for the challengers, he just got greedy with the creation of his own club, and rules that meant he’d never lose. Larry simply wasn’t going to be the chump for SFO any longer, and I don’t really fault him for that.

Dalton on the other hand is just a pimp who will sell his sailors to the highest bidder regardless as to whether not the country has a history of cutting journalists into tiny parts.

1 hour ago, sunseeker said:

Dalton on the other hand is just a pimp who potentially will sell his sailors to the highest bidder regardless as to whether not the country has a history of cutting journalists into tiny parts.

Important change. We don't know for sure that he has sold them, or was even considering it. Hopefully we will find out in 9 days

On 11/5/2021 at 4:14 AM, SimonN said:

Any comments that suggest they might change need to be considered with a high level of scepticism.  Their statements pander to whatever will suit them best but then they do whatever they want. An example of this is that while they had the presidency of the G20, they significantly reduced the number of executions but as soon as the presidency was over, the number ramped up again.

There is no excuse for holding the America's Cup in KSA and the moral compass of anybody involved with either considering it or justifying it is badly off course.

You could find a reason to exclude any country for anything on moral reasons. KSA will feature on the dark end of most black/white morality indices. 

It becomes debatable where to draw the line.

Seems ok to hold the Football Worldcup in Russia whilst they're banned from olympic sport.

Seems ok to hold the Football worldcup in Qatar whilst they are the world's worst polluter per capita and are using terrible migrant labour contracts to build it (and then demolish the stadiums they will never need again)

Seems ok to hold sporting events in the US whilst they are still working out what to do with Gitmo.

Seems ok to hold xxxxxx event in XXXXX while they have XXXXX policy (insert your own blanks).

It does seem hypocritical of me to say that sailing has a right to have a moral compass in the first place. The sport (that I really love and support) competes with horespolo and jet racing for the being the upper end of the gini curve and only for the rich and famous. and the Americas Cup is the pinnacle of it. We can debate this in circles, will it be enough to keep the circus out is probably not an issue for the people cashing the cheques. Marketing will deal with the fall out.

My real issue with a Jeddah regatta would be that it would probably be the first regatta Jeddah had ever had. They don't even have a yacht club. How can you hold the world's biggest yacht race there and keep a straight face? As a sailor, this is a load of crap and should never even be considered. But what about when Lazza moved AC35 to an island instead of having it in the US? Well there's some sailing heritage to be had there and the regatta conditions did it justice. also, last time i checked my boat had a Bermuda rig.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Important change. We don't know for sure that he has sold them, or was even considering it. Hopefully we will find out in 9 days

Standing on a street corner in a red light district in skimpy garb saying hello sailor...if no one pays people still think you're a whore.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Standing on a street corner in a red light district in skimpy garb saying hello sailor...if no one pays people still think you're a whore.

Oh don't get me wrong, he is a whore-mongering pimp. The bit we don't know is whether he is prepared to overlook the KSA human rights (and all the other reasons not to hold a sailing regatta in Jeddah)

4 hours ago, sunseeker said:

Dalton on the other hand is just a pimp who will sell his sailors to the highest bidder regardless as to whether not the country has a history of cutting journalists into tiny parts.

But, but I thought the Nationality rule prevented his sailors from going anywhere?

For so long you people said the Nationality rule meant the sailors were stuck there, now they're being sold to the highest bidder?

48 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Oh don't get me wrong, he is a whore-mongering pimp. The bit we don't know is whether he is prepared to overlook the KSA human rights (and all the other reasons not to hold a sailing regatta in Jeddah)

Many sports do it.

If world Governments aren't prepared to act, it doesn't leave sport with many options.

Its not Daltons responsibility to solve KSA's Human rights problems.

If they're prepared to pay, I say do it.

52 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

The bit we don't know is whether he is prepared to overlook the KSA human rights (and all the other reasons not to hold a sailing regatta in Jeddah)

The bit you don't know is whether he is going to Jeddah at all.

Meanwhile, Dunphy is back in the news. This form NZ Herald today:

"Mark Dunphy calls on RNZYS members to pressure executive over America's Cup venue:

In an open letter sent to around 3500 members of the squadron on Tuesday, Dunphy asked members to encourage the RNZYS commodore and other elected members "to take a much more active involvement in the America's Cup arrangements" to ensure Auckland is announced as venue, when the protocol is announced next week.

"We, at Kiwi Home Defence, consider there is more than sufficient funding available in New Zealand to hold a successful defence here. We say that Auckland should be confirmed in next week's protocol as the venue for AC37," Dunphy wrote. "I have expressly offered a firm contribution of $40 million to support our home defence of the America's Cup in 2024."

Team New Zealand and the RNZYS have both been asked for comment on the letter.

Dunphy said Team New Zealand appeared determined to reject his offers. Previously he has called on the team to explain why.

"Team New Zealand's attitude is puzzling and concerning. There is much conjecture in the media and in sailing circles that the team leadership is determined to move the next event beyond New Zealand shores in pursuit of a more lucrative hosting rights payment," Dunphy wrote.

"There is also conjecture that government support is conditional on appropriate independent governance of the event organisation, and the team leadership refuses to accept this requirement. If either were in fact the case, this would be a cause of real concern both to RNZYS as the Cup defender, and to all members."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/mark-dunphy-calls-on-rnzys-members-to-pressure-executive-over-americas-cup-venue/XIDG3FT33HRZLOKRERNB2ISCJA/ 

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Dunphy wrote. "I have expressly offered a firm contribution of $40 million to support our home defence of the America's Cup in 2024."

Cough up the 40 large, make a decal for the mainsail, and STFU.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

"Mark Dunphy calls on RNZYS members to pressure executive over America's Cup venue:

In an open letter sent to around 3500 members of the squadron on Tuesday, Dunphy asked members to encourage the RNZYS commodore and other elected members "to take a much more active involvement in the America's Cup arrangements" to ensure Auckland is announced as venue, when the protocol is announced next week.

Is he a member? Anyone know for sure? Just curious. He doesn't seem to have much background in sailing?

12 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Is he a member? Anyone know for sure? Just curious. He doesn't seem to have much background in sailing?

You race on the south coast and you are surprised by the idea of members of royal yacht clubs not having much background in sailing?

5 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

If he did, would GD commit to holding it in Auckland? Doubt it somehow

If he did, he wouldn't have to write the letter.

Instead of giving up the cash, first he tried to get the Government to up its offer, and that failed, now hes telling the Squadron to pressure Dalton and make him hold it here lol

Dunphy is suggesting that reasons for GD’s rejection of Auckland may include him looking for a ‘lucrative’ paycheck above and beyond what’s necessary and available in Auckland and/or refusal to accept independent event-run governance. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Dunphy is suggesting that reasons for GD’s rejection of Auckland may include him looking for a ‘lucrative’ paycheck above and beyond what’s necessary and available in Auckland and/or refusal to accept independent event-run governance. 

Why should Dalton accept "independent Governance"? His team won the Cup, no one else. The Deed of Gift governs the Americas Cup. Thats the way its always been.

As for just accepting whats "necessary". Fuck that, they're not there to participate, they're there to fucking win.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

It is certainly strange that he isn't prepared to accept giving up running the event in exchange for funds. After all it would allow him to concentrate exclusively on the team and boat.

With the smoke that has emanated from the books for the last couple of events, some oversight could certainly be expected. This could also be a problem with any offshore venue. They may also want far more control and accounting for the event than he is used to giving.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, barfy said:

Cough up the 40 large, make a decal for the mainsail, and STFU.

Not sure any sponsor of an event that runs over three years is going to front up with the entire promised amount on day one. There will be payments and performance clauses all the way through.

But he could certainly offer up some sort of deposit in escrow.

I don't believe he has made any progress on the venue front except he knows he is in one hell of a legal fight if he goes to the Middle East. 

While he is looking for a massive personal payday, he cannot expect to pocket $5M from the $40 venue fee and $15 million ($5M a year) from the $80M he needs to fund the team.  If he can get it great but everyone - Cork, Valencia, Barcelona and Auckland officials have caught on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chobani Sailor said:

I don't believe he has made any progress on the venue front except he knows he is in one hell of a legal fight if he goes to the Middle East. 

While he is looking for a massive personal payday, he cannot expect to pocket $5M from the $40 venue fee and $15 million ($5M a year) from the $80M he needs to fund the team.  If he can get it great but everyone - Cork, Valencia, Barcelona and Auckland officials have caught on.

There’s no legal fight. The Deed of Gift and Protocol are the ONLY documents governing the AC. There is no need for independent governance. That’s what the Defender, CoR, Mutual Consent and Deed of Gift are for. 
To approach it from a “safety and security” point of view would leave the complainant with the task of proving F1, WWE, boxing, and cricket events already being held in the Middle East are also unsafe and shouldn’t be held due to security concerns. Or prove that somehow the AC is more of a target than all of those other sports, or buy off a judge or 2 somewhere and get them to rule in your favour, which, let’s be honest, none of those situations are viable. If for some reason that did happen and all sporting events in the Kingdom are cancelled, they’d find themselves in a shit fight with F1, the ICC, international boxing federations and the WWE over compensation. 

2 hours ago, Chobani Sailor said:

I don't see where a legal challenge can come from, no matter where he takes it. However, Dunphy is keeping the topic in the press and it is not a good look for the team. If it had gone to plan, there would have been a venue chosen and Dunphy would have been to late to the party. Instead, Dalton has misjudged the value of the event in todays climate and been unable to get the vast piles of cash, with no strings attached, that he things he needs.

So Dunphy is stirring the pot and keeping the subject in front of Kiwis. The longer it plays out the worse for the team. It starts to look like the team is fucking the pooch big time.

Then the news that B&T are not signing at present and are not happy with one of the possible choices. B&T are the darlings of the fans, them looking like they might step away because of team decisions is not a good thing.

Dalts really needs to get this shit sorted. Just throwing shit at people isn't working.

I don’t really think Dalton gives a shit what Dunphy is doing. He knows all this goes away when a venue is eventually announced. The 1 on 1 INEOS v ETNZ storm in a teacup went away as fast as it appeared. The venue rhetoric will do the same. Only the hardcore sailing audience cares about what happens in between cup cycles. The majority of casual Kiwi AC fans don’t give a crap as there’s plenty of other teams to get behind - The ABs, The Black Caps, The Black Ferns, so the AC fades away until the teams start racing. Once the racing starts, the fans come back. There’s no rush to announce a venue. The teams are no doubt being kept updated by the D and CoR, the class is known, mutual consent has been established, so it will be a multiple challenger event, so the eventual venue doesn’t need to be announced in any hurry.

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I don’t really think Dalton gives a shit what Dunphy is doing. He knows all this goes away when a venue is eventually announced. The 1 on 1 INEOS v ETNZ storm in a teacup went away as fast as it appeared. The venue rhetoric will do the same. Only the hardcore sailing audience cares about what happens in between cup cycles. The majority of casual Kiwi AC fans don’t give a crap as there’s plenty of other teams to get behind - The ABs, The Black Caps, The Black Ferns, so the AC fades away until the teams start racing. Once the racing starts, the fans come back. There’s no rush to announce a venue. The teams are no doubt being kept updated by the D and CoR, the class is known, mutual consent has been established, so it will be a multiple challenger event, so the eventual venue doesn’t need to be announced in any hurry.

"there is no rush to announce a venue" - that's a cop-out because GD has been rejected by all the locations on his demands and in 3 months time he will be going back to Auckland with his tail between his legs(although he'll spin it in saying it was also going to be in Auckland, we just threw out these other locations to distract the challengers)

22 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

"there is no rush to announce a venue" - that's a cop-out because GD has been rejected by all the locations on his demands and in 3 months time he will be going back to Auckland with his tail between his legs(although he'll spin it in saying it was also going to be in Auckland, we just threw out these other locations to distract the challengers)

To be fair GD isn't and never was the genius fund raiser that our kiwi friends paint him as. He's got one sponsor on his own. He's completely bungled his relationship with his only other sponsor the NZ government. It's amazing he could keep this shitshow going for as long as he has.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
18 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

To be fair GD isn't and never was the genius fund raiser that our kiwi friends paint him as. He's got one sponsor on his own. He's completely bungled his relationship with his only other sponsor the NZ government. It's amazing he could keep this shitshow going for as long as he has.

You are a fucking liar, and you know it.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

He has however been clever enough to embed the team finances with money ostensibly from de Nora. Try and remove him and the team will be bankrupt very quickly, Dalton can be a vengeful prick if he thinks you have slighted him.

1 hour ago, Chobani Sailor said:

How is it a cop out? If there’s no rush, then what’s the issue? The only people kicking up a fuss are the ones on here that clearly have personal issues against GD. You really think he cares what they think? Nope.

What WILL happen is that if Auckland does get confirmed as the venue, all the people that were campaigning and wanting Dalton to hold it in Auckland, will then turn around and say how shit of a venue Auckland is and it’s toor far away, TV time zones are shit, and they should’ve held it somewhere other than Auckland. I guarantee it!

2 hours ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Dalton will only go back to Auckland IF Mark Dunphy RESIGNS from his Post as Chairman of the Home Defense Fund. I just can't see Dalton/Dunphy working together given what Dunphy & Ross pulled by trying to replace the RYS/INEOS Britannia as CoR!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Should be easy to refute then. Maybe not for a drunk though.

I said "and you know it."

And you now know where you are going, bye bye!

Say hello to the other pussheads...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Yep cos Team NZ only has one sponsor right? Time to go to Specsavers.

2 hours ago, Gissie said:

He has however been clever enough to embed the team finances with money ostensibly from de Nora. Try and remove him and the team will be bankrupt very quickly, Dalton can be a vengeful prick if he thinks you have slighted him.

The problem is that pretty much no one except 4Idiot is worried about his “vengeance.”  The guy has no sponsor, no host venue, and a very well funded CoR that could make him their bitch in a heartbeat if they so desire. Not exactly a strong position to exact vengeance from. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Monkey said:

The problem is that pretty much no one except 4Idiot is worried about his “vengeance.”  The guy has no sponsor, no host venue, and a very well funded CoR that could make him their bitch in a heartbeat if they so desire. Not exactly a strong position to exact vengeance from. 

Please don't quote Pissy... He is in Dalt's black book ever since he got kicked off one of his fully sponsored campaigns. For talking too much shit, surprise, surprise.

And you Monkey, what the fuck do you, or all the other monkey bastards here, know about TNZ and Dalts anyway. Aha, from the TE & Spinray peanut gallery probably.