The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Hamish Ross and the Discrimination Issue: This will be long, pedantic, and legal.  I apologize for the length; read at your own risk. Hamish Ross has recently claimed on multiple occasion

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

Posted Images

6 hours ago, rh3000 said:

That report does mention Covid as a factor it is true, but there are likely bigger factors. Firstly the ones they mention

• the time difference
  •  absence of US stars as they mention also.

Worth comparing to figures for those in same time zone (e.g. Australia) which are up

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/why-tv-audiences-are-tuning-out-tokyo-olympic-games-2021-07-30/

But far more important that the report ignores is that people don't watch on TVs now, they watch online:

In the US, national network NBC suffered a similar fate -  the 17-day event only averaged 15.5 million views (daily) on NBC's linear network, representing the smallest average audience for an Olympics since the broadcaster first covered the games in 1988, but online viewers live-streamed close to six billion minutes of coverage, an Olympic record.

So actually overall reach is up

Source

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

After all the BS about costs being prohibitive, it turns out there's at least one EXTRA team than last time.

Costs aren't as prohibitive as the haters claimed they were.

FYI

AC36 received 10 challenges. 2 made it to the startline.

Currently AC37 reportedly has 2 challenges.

I'll let you do the math, but one is more than the other at this stage,

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

That report does mention Covid as a factor it is true, but there are likely bigger factors. Firstly the ones they mention

• the time difference

Worth comparing to figures for those in same time zone (e.g. Australia) which are up

Since BBC viewerships are cited, you could also add the much-reduced BBC coverage of Tokyo,  particularly of lesser-viewed sports, including sailing. That was about $$$$ and a done deal in 2016, long before Covid came along.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jul/25/bbc-olympics-coverage-misses-events-after-selling-tv-rights

5 hours ago, Forourselves said:

After all the BS about costs being prohibitive, it turns out there's at least one EXTRA team than last time.

Provided that "extra" team is self-funded by a billionaire who is effectively immune to the cost, and happens to have previously won the AC two out of three times he competed.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

You could say TNZ is down 10 teams in comparison to 2007 as well. Or 11 if you compare this years pre-covid Cup.

10 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

• the time difference

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/why-tv-audiences-are-tuning-out-tokyo-olympic-games-2021-07-30/

But far more important that the report ignores is that people don't watch on TVs now, they watch online:

So actually overall reach is up

Source

Lol. If only you put this much energy into illuminating yourself rather than further buttressing your ignorance.

2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Lol. If only you put this much energy into illuminating yourself rather than further buttressing your ignorance.

Really? The only one being caught out is you. I said I didn't know. You said you said (or strongly implied so) but so far have posted Jack shit of value

2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Really? The only one being caught out is you. I said I didn't know. You said you said (or strongly implied so) but so far have posted Jack shit of value

Don't you find it telling you are the only one trying to die on this hill?

Try google - first page should give you around 95% specifically calling out COVID impact on sports viewership.

For instance...

946937154_ScreenShot2021-12-11at9_53_47AM.png.9f59a6792c991c06617f5ae199c14976.png

https://harmelin.com/media-magnified/sports-viewership-during-covid/

160683981_ScreenShot2021-12-11at9_54_02AM.png.fa8249d1850f2b54de582ba472f978c6.png

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2020/11/05/tv-ratings-sports-pandemic/

1738229968_ScreenShot2021-12-11at9_54_38AM.png.256235434fdfc3649598a4ddd5f8314d.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/sports/tv-ratings-sports.html

You said you didn't know.

Now you do.

You're welcome.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

So how come the AC had the biggest TV audience ever?

https://www.sailweb.co.uk/2021/06/28/36th-americas-cup-most-watched-americas-cup-ever/

So, did Covid affect the TV audiences? And thus blamed for NZs lack of revenue?

It did effect the TV Audience but more in a positive way. Because Europe and especially Italy & UK were under "LOCKDOWN" entirely more people watched on TV because they couldn't go to work so I would say Coronavirus is heavily inflating these Numbers. No COVID and AC36 would have been potentially the least watched Cup on TV ever because of the Time Zone.

1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It did effect the TV Audience but more in a positive way. Because Europe and especially Italy & UK were under "LOCKDOWN" entirely more people watched on TV because they couldn't go to work so I would say Coronavirus is heavily inflating these Numbers. No COVID and AC36 would have been potentially the least watched Cup on TV ever because of the Time Zone.

Hence my point. Covid is being blamed for all of ETNZs problems and in particular loss of sponsor revenue from AC36 leaving a hold. But TV audiences were up

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

Hence my point. Covid is being blamed for all of ETNZs problems and in particular loss of sponsor revenue from AC36 leaving a hold. But TV audiences were up

Covid prevented sponsors from bringing their people into the country. It’s not just TV coverage that sponsors want. It’s the experience, its the hospitality of the locals, it’s enjoying the venue, watching the event on the water, doing things in other places they wouldn’t otherwise do. It’s a package, not just TV. Covid prevented all that.

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

I trend to agree with @Forourselves in that sense that COVID prevented people actually going to NZ and watch in LIVE.

10 minutes ago, floater said:

oh.

The subject has come up before and if it is true that the $3M is predicated on ETNZ going offshore, well.. It opens the possibility that it's a 'bribe' in some sense, which also suggests that ABNZYS has some implied ability to weigh in on the decision - even if only through club-members arm-twisting and/or media-support-wise.

Just now, Stingray~ said:

The subject has come up before and if it is true that the $3M is predicated on ETNZ going offshore, well.. It opens the possibility that it's a 'bribe' in some sense, which also suggests that ABNZYS has some implied ability to weigh in on the decision - even if only through club-members arm-twisting and/or media-support-wise.

What the fuck!? Dalts and the Squadron should sue you for defamation.

20 minutes ago, floater said:

oh.

bold mine, from America's Cup: Forces trying to undermine Team NZ and their backing club | Stuff.co.nz

The squadron also touched on the topic of a legacy payment from Team New Zealand out of the riches of an offshore hosting agreement – a deal that has been speculated as high as $3m.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

So how come the AC had the biggest TV audience ever?

https://www.sailweb.co.uk/2021/06/28/36th-americas-cup-most-watched-americas-cup-ever/

So, did Covid affect the TV audiences? And thus blamed for NZs lack of revenue?

So you think 'bigger than last time' is the same as 'as big as it would have been without covid'

yeah... you continue to be well out of your depth on this one eh... :D

32 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

And yet, your buddy, Farmer says it's exclusively, RNZYS's responsibility to decide the venue (Auckland).

My take would be that RNZYS should chose the venue option, which gives the Club maximum advantage to meet their constitutional objectives. And if that includes a cash injection from an offshore Defence, so much the better.

8 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

And yet, your buddy, Farmer says it's exclusively, RNZYS's responsibility to decide the venue (Auckland).

My take would be that RNZYS should chose the venue option, which gives the Club maximum advantage to meet their constitutional objectives. And if that includes a cash injection from an offshore Defence, so much the better.

So then it’s okay to sell the venue decision authority to ETNZ, for $3M? 

My guess is ABNZYS would be better off in many ways hosting WAC and YAC and possible J Class events in Auckland but what do I know? SY Busfield claimed over $300M benefit to Auckland’s economy too, it’s big money. 

18 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@Sailbydate

Could you put the full Text in from that Aaron Young Article if you can?

From the STUFF article, October 26:

"The squadron also touched on the topic of a legacy payment from Team New Zealand out of the riches of an offshore hosting agreement – a deal that has been speculated as high as $3m. The squadron said a legacy system had been in place between the club and team since 1993 in the run-up to New Zealand’s breakthrough victory in San Diego in 1995.

“In 1993, the Team NZ Trust was established to foster and advance education, training and development of those involved in yachting in New Zealand. We are all aware of the benefits our RNZYS youth training and performance programmes bring as a pathway for young New Zealanders to build a career in sailing and the wider marine industry. To support this, the Team NZ Trust is planning to contribute towards the completion of a RNZYS training centre as an AC37 legacy investment. This important initiative will help improve the sport in general and provide a facility for all to enjoy in the future.”

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

So then it’s okay to sell the venue decision authority to ETNZ, for $3M? 

That's a very long bow, Stinger. Even for you. :D

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Genuine question. Who were the 10 challenges? Perhaps my memory is failing (quite possible)

Luna Rosa
Ineos
AM
S+S
Dutch
Malta
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?

I don't know if we ever got all the identities. Might have been one from Commodore M.Mouse from Disney YC in there, but was serious enough for etnz to at least acknowledge the paperwork

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/103_8-NEW-NOTICES-OF-CHALLENGE-RECEIVED

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, shebeen said:

I don't know if we ever got all the identities. Might have been one from Commodore M.Mouse from Disney YC in there, but was serious enough for etnz to at least acknowledge the paperwork

https://www.americascup.com/en/news/103_8-NEW-NOTICES-OF-CHALLENGE-RECEIVED

Thanks,  I'd forgotten about that

6 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Lockdown? It was 3am so everyone in UK / Europe was asleep at home you Bell end 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Thanks,  I'd forgotten about that

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/96739003/key-oracle-crew-look-at-australian-challenge-as-americas-cup-rule-changes-hit-home

They predicted 10 challengers could  reach the start line in 2021 – Australia, Spain, France, Gt Britain, Italy (2), US (3), and Switzerland. They felt there could also be interest from, Canada, China, Denmark, Germany and Russia.

how did that work out?

20 minutes ago, shebeen said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/96739003/key-oracle-crew-look-at-australian-challenge-as-americas-cup-rule-changes-hit-home

They predicted 10 challengers could  reach the start line in 2021 – Australia, Spain, France, Gt Britain, Italy (2), US (3), and Switzerland. They felt there could also be interest from, Canada, China, Denmark, Germany and Russia.

how did that work out?

Had it, the quality would have been hugely questionable. Quantity over quality is hardly ever good (unless it's free booze). ;-)

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, shebeen said:

how did that work out?

Predictions are just that, predictions. Oracle predicted 13 in 2013 and got 1.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Had it, the quality would have been hugely questionable. Quantity over quality is hardly ever good (unless it's free booze). ;-)

Bah humbug. That’s been a standard defender fanboy line ever since AC34 and it’s nonsense because 1. teams create an audience in their country and 2. If winning on first attempt is near impossible, especially with nationality rules, then you need weak teams this cycle to have strong ones next time.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Bah humbug. That’s been a standard defender fanboy line ever since AC34 and it’s nonsense because 1. teams create an audience in their country and 2. If winning on first attempt is near impossible, especially with nationality rules, then you need weak teams this cycle to have strong ones next time.

Interesting theory, Doggie. But how does a weak team become a strong team in one cycle (or even two?) Funding is the first hurdle. Even the best teams having funding problems. No wait.....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Interesting theory, Doggie. But how does a weak team become a strong team in one cycle (or even two?) Funding is the first hurdle. Even the best teams having funding problems. No wait.....

Only one of the best teams is having funding problems. Two if you wanted to be charitable and include S&S in that category.

2 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

I don't see any reason to believe that. All they seem short of right now is a club.

Which is what makes me suspicious. Finding a club is fairly easy. Finding the money isn't. I have no evidence that they are struggling with money, but until they enter it has to be considered as a good possibility

7 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Only one of the best teams is having funding problems. Two if you wanted to be charitable and include S&S in that category.

"one of the best teams"? Who are the best teams? Surely the "best" teams are the two teams who contested the cup? 

AM was eliminated without a single win. They don't deserve to be called "one of the best"

INEOS picked up a single win when it mattered, but lost 7. Not one of the best either.

33 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

NZ Herald extract:

'Grant Dalton's turn at the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron annual general meeting this week seems to have seen off Mark Dunphy's Kiwi Home Defence campaign – at least for the time being. There is a distinct possibility of legal action once the overseas venue is named. However, opinions gathered from a few who attended the annual general meeting of the RNZYS this week, physically or on Zoom, showed that Dalton might finally have got his point across about the finances.

Some said his presentation was too complex, but he managed to drive home that Dunphy's supposed rescue package was $50m short. He made another telling point – sponsorship (from New Zealand or anywhere) was near impossible because of the pandemic. Sponsors wanted a clawback provision in the deal, meaning that if the Cup was cancelled or truncated for any reason (like Covid-19), Team NZ would have to pay back money because the sponsor had missed the promised exposure. Such deals are common in sport but, while a big football club like Arsenal could recoup funds with its next big gate-takings after a cancelled match, Team NZ couldn't. Any sponsorship money would come with a spring-loaded return mechanism; the team would have to repay it (potentially all of it) if the regatta was cancelled, meaning they couldn't spend it.

That, and Dalton's insistence that taking on giants like Ineos Team UK and Alinghi with a $50m budget shortfall would only result in the loss of the Cup, might have satisfied most on why an overseas venue and hosting fee is sought. However, some at the AGM maintained they were still confused about why the regatta could not be held in Auckland and money found locally – perhaps a sign that Dunphy's PR campaign partially succeeded, even if its only option now is legal action.

One attendee called Dunphy "impressive". Another instanced the exchange between Dalton and Dunphy at the AGM, with Dalton challenging Dunphy to say what he'd been trying to do with the New York Yacht Club. Dalton had an affidavit from the person who alleged Dunphy had been part of a conversation seeking support for legal action in the New York Supreme Court, an affidavit prepared after talk of a defamation action. The attendee said Dunphy gave a political response (meaning he didn't answer the question), prompting catcalls from some RNZYS members. There was also a strained moment when Dunphy tried to mount the podium to address the meeting – only to have access denied, so he spoke from the floor. The genesis of that moment probably came when Dunphy ally Jim Farmer QC withdrew his motion that the defence of the Cup be held in Auckland a couple of days before the AGM. If that motion had been passed, it would have been binding – in theory, anyway.

Farmer said Dalton had been calling RNZYS members who had signed the requisition allowing a vote to be held – persuading some to withdraw signatures on the basis that, if the motion passed, Team NZ would go into liquidation and the squadron would have no team to defend the Cup. Farmer said there was a real prospect the motion/special general meeting would be "undermined by the threats made" and withdrew the requisition. Instead, Farmer, Dunphy and Hamish Ross (all aligned with Kiwi Home Defence) spoke in the "general business" part of the AGM, at which a vote cannot be taken.

Alternative translation: they didn't have the numbers to win the vote. Threats? It's called lobbying. Dalton was lobbying when he contacted the squadron members; KHD were lobbying at the AGM and have lobbied some overseas parties.

From the beginning, the KHD offensive has looked a lot like a takeover bid. There could be an Auckland defence if Dalton stepped down, said Dunphy in August before retracting that.

We now wait for the venue announcement. With that may come more legal action of the type that it was my grave misfortune to report on a few years back – three years of legal wrangling and tedium as Oracle and Alinghi duked it out in court before the one-on-one challenge in 2010 that indirectly led the Cup back to New Zealand.

• Like 4

Thanks for the text SBD.

The KHD use of the word 'threats' is because according to them GD was telling voters that if they voted for an Auckland Defense then the team would be liquidated and they would be then get blamed for being at responsible for it. And in one article since after the meeting someone (Dunphy, maybe?) is quoted as saying that nothing GD said at the meeting had changed their perspective that a successful defense in Auk is both necessary and do-able. So.. the meeting was apparently not the end of the effort by any stretch.

It's good that Farmer and Dunphy did get the chance to be heard despite the SGM session having been withdrawn.

Thanks @Sailbydate
Dunphy still hasn't come clean why he contacted the NYYC as he dodged the Question. I think Paul Lewis is right: This never ever was about a "Home Defence Bid". This whole "Soap Opera" by Farmer, Dunphy and Ross was an attempted Takeover by them and it failed.

18 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

It looks like the NZ Herald is trying to get back in the good book. Can't blame them, but not sure if that is that easy with Dalts. Will need a lot more licking, methinks.

I noticed a new AC reporter at NZH, a Chris Reives (? sounds like Superman so I remembered) so yes, maybe it's reach-out.

MW from two days ago

Gracie Mille Prada – Rule69.blog

Magnus had been wavering a little, but is now firmly back on the right side. And even though Prada has not confirmed as how far their involvement will go, he is playing masterly on Patrizio's sentiments.

One comment stood out, from someone who knows Grunter well, is friends with people who don't like him, and is generally regarded highly as a knowlegeable and caring person.

Fuller Julian

Having attended the meeting by zoom, I concur with your report Magnus.
It was fiery, full of very tense moments, but brilliantly choreographed by Commodore Aaron Young, & CE Hayden Porter.
Jim Farmer was allowed to speak, as was Dunphy, but Dalts really had the final say, when, after requesting not to be sued, spilled the affidavit out of NYYC that clearly showed the depths to which Dunphy was prepared to go, to destroy the ETNZ & RNZYS rights.
Hopefully everyone now realises that a “no strings attached” $50mill is still missing, from the budget required to successfully run a defender campaign & the Cup, and is extremely difficult to raise.
Well done Grant, as you say, for coping with all the madness that inevitably seems to follow the A Cup.
Oh for Bob Fisher to still be around, to be part of all this!!

1. Fish would have loved this! Thanks so much for taking the time to update us all on this – really appreciate it Julian.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Looks like he didn’t get the Prada rebuttal.

And it’s grazie mille ...

True on both :) Am guessing Prada will re-up but guess we'll see.

MW posted yesterday live during TE's show that he was on Lake Geneva. He likely has an invite to the Alinghi show Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

taking on giants like Ineos Team UK and Alinghi with a $50m budget shortfall would only result in the loss of the Cup, might have satisfied most on why an overseas venue and hosting fee is sought.  

I can fully understand why a hosting fee is 'sought',  but missing here is that a host city would be economically foolish to pay the amount Grant is seeking. Perhaps he will find someone foolish . . . . but perhaps he will simple need to compete with less money that he would like.  If the later happens, he seems to be burning a lot of bridges which he may wish he still had.  Historically, they have been quite good at being competitive with less money . . . may need to resurrect that approach.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, estarzinger said:

I can fully understand why a hosting fee is 'sought',  but missing here is that a host city would be economically foolish to pay the amount Grant is seeking. Perhaps he will find someone foolish . . . . but perhaps he will simple need to compete with less money that he would like.  If the later happens, he seems to be burning a lot of bridges which he may wish he still had.

I have remarked here several times that GD may want to 'come clean' about his budget, as what KHD has been asking for so they could try figure things out. And GD actually is doing that now, although (perhaps understandably) without much granularity. 

GD talks about the potential liability in sponsorship agreements, 'spring-backs' for in case for example the event can't be held due to Covid. Aside from KHD somehow transferring their offer to some 'other entity' to try appease GD's hurt feelings, perhaps KHD could also agree to idemnify/insure against the spring-back worries GD says are a big deal. At least get a dang mediator in there? 

4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I have remarked here several times that GD may want to 'come clean' about his budget, as what KHD has been asking for so they could try figure things out. And GD actually is doing that now, although (perhaps understandably) without much granularity. 

GD talks about the potential liability in sponsorship agreements, 'spring-backs' for in case for example the event can't be held due to Covid. Aside from KHD somehow transferring their offer to some 'other entity' to try appease GD's hurt feelings, perhaps KHD could also agree to idemnify/insure against the spring-back worries GD says are a big deal. At least get a dang mediator in there? 

Dalton has always been forthright with his numbers. That was reiterated at the Squadron meeting.

Now the entire Squadron knows Dunphy is a liar who can't be trusted.

Its Dunphy's numbers that are incorrect and misleading.

Its Dalton who has been asking Dunphy to come clean, which he hasn't.

Dalton clearly embarrassed Dunphy and Farmer in front of the entire Squadron.

The Squadron and the team are on the same page.

If Dunphy continues, he may find himself being sued by the challengers for damages from unnecessarily delaying the event.

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

If Grant is really personally taking 15% as a 'fund raising commission' . . .  . perhaps he should take a more 'normal salary - like say $500k and put the rest into the team.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

True on both :) Am guessing Prada will re-up but guess we'll see.

aren't Prada refusing to go to the KSA? Hence they are waiting for venue announcement.

3 minutes ago, estarzinger said:

If Grant is really personally taking 15% as a 'fund raising commission' . . .  . perhaps he should take a more 'normal salary - like say $500k and put the rest into the team.

And maybe he should just do $500K worth of work too.

Just now, estarzinger said:

Who said so, and whom are you asking?

Or are you just full of innuendo these days...

7 minutes ago, estarzinger said:

Yes, it's unlikely KHD would let him cut 15% off the top of their money, but surely something could be figured out. The larger 'detail' seems to be the $80m he claims is needed to run the event; maybe he should just let the Challs run their own CSS, and ACE/NZ run the Match? 

4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Since their choice about if to re-up is waiting on the venue decision, then yes.. that could be a possibility.

its all very frustrating. My thought is that if ETNZ can simply get the money, then they may not care whether USA and ITA come out to play. pretty ugly stuff.

16 minutes ago, floater said:

its all very frustrating. My thought is that if ETNZ can simply get the money, then they may not care whether USA and ITA come out to play. pretty ugly stuff.

It's possible that even a Cork deal will be somewhat contingent on the number of teams that make it to the line; so maybe they do care?

7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It's possible that even a Cork deal will be somewhat contingent on the number of teams that make it to the line; so maybe they do care?

from what I understand - Cork would be favored by all teams. but will the Emerald Isle show up with the green?

and on that note - I learned something new today: 50M NZ$ = 'just' 34M US$.

Just now, floater said:

aren't Prada refusing to go to the KSA? 

Since their choice about if to re-up is waiting on the venue decision, then yes.. that could be a possibility.

Always a possibility, but not so very likely. Prada has historically not been very principled, and Patrizio..., well he occasionally sounds a kind of...rather loud, to say it nicely. More likely he prefers a European location, but will not shy away from Jeddah, for obvious reasons.

PRADA-SA-1.thumb.jpg.942c59ddd853712701cbc4996ccd61a8.jpg

Prada’s impressive new address in Saudi Arabia is located in Jeddah.

JPrada’s pressive new address ins lcted in Jeddah edah Boulva

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Always a possibility, but not so very likely. Prada has historically not been very principled, and Patrizio..., well he occasionally sounds a kind of...rather loud, to say it nicely. More likely he prefers a European location, but will not shy away from Jeddah, for obvious reasons.

PRADA-SA-1.thumb.jpg.942c59ddd853712701cbc4996ccd61a8.jpg

Prada’s impressive new address in Saudi Arabia is located in Jeddah.

JPrada’s pressive new address ins lcted in Jeddah edah Boulva

Hmmm. Contrary to popular belief, people in KSA is not particularly wealthy. But of course there is huge wealth concentration for some.

Number-of-Millionaires-in-COuntries-.jpg.webp

46 minutes ago, floater said:

from what I understand - Cork would be favored by all teams. but will the Emerald Isle show up with the green?

and on that note - I learned something new today: 50M NZ$ = 'just' 34M US$.

If NZ$50 really is the only gap, surely Auckland & co will make this happen.

28 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

If this seven ring circus results in TNZ not being able to afford to defend the AC37 it may well eclipse the embarrassment of their choke in San Francisco.

More like 2003...

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@floater

As you said 50M NZ$ = 34M US$

Consider this: American Magic & INEOS TEAM UK operated on a Budget that was 5 Times as big = north of 150M US$ for AC36.

Even the 50M NZ$ might not be enough to compete with these guys.

Of course it isn't. But that's just the gap. GD says he needs $200m