The AC 37 has started, news and rumours

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Hamish Ross and the Discrimination Issue: This will be long, pedantic, and legal.  I apologize for the length; read at your own risk. Hamish Ross has recently claimed on multiple occasion

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Gissie said:

You seem to have a rather overblown idea of your general importance in the world.

Checked behind the couch again, still unable to find anyone that gives a fuck about your preferences. Maybe Stinger can find someone, after all the US has a bigger population and therefore more idiots.

Hilarious! Maybe you should check Clownrays Comments from time to time. He was saying the excat same thing a couple of months ago that he wanted AC37 to be held in Auckland because he doesn't want to travel anywhere else. That is a purely selfish Reason as well. You and Stingray are the biggest hypocrites on this Boat. Maybe too many things are going over your head.

I mean, I want it to be in SF Bay, because that's near where I live, too. But I don't actually think that will happen or that anyone involved cares about what I think.

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Hilarious! Maybe you should check Clownrays Comments from time to time. He was saying the excat same thing a couple of months ago that he wanted AC37 to be held in Auckland because he doesn't want to travel anywhere else. That is a purely selfish Reason as well. You and Stingray are the biggest hypocrites on this Boat. Maybe too many things are going over your head.

None of your comments will be over my head, that’s for sure. Even if I lay on the floor, they would scuttle underneath. 

9 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Reading comprehension issues again? 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Today it is worth remembering what Desmond Tutu said about sport and politics 

https://www.tamilguardian.com/content/desmond-tutu-sports-boycott-crucial-ending-apartheid

I assume you are making this comment with regard to Jeddah, despite the ever-diminishing prospect of the event ending up there.  That aside, Tutu said:

"Many of you will remember how effective the sports boycott of the 1970s and 1980s was in conveying to sport-crazy South Africans that our society had placed itself beyond the pale by continuing to organise its life on the basis of racial discrimination."

White South Africans remain sports-crazy. I was on a conference call with one a few weeks ago and he tried to engage us in conversation about cricket. None of the Brits on the call even knew a match was in progress. Let alone the one Irish. He seemed baffled by our disinterest.

I'm not too sure the citizens of the KSA are, as a nation, sports-mad. The idea that KSA policy would be influenced by the AC going or not going to Jeddah is delusional. 

On 12/27/2021 at 11:09 AM, dogwatch said:

I assume you are making this comment with regard to Jeddah, despite the ever-diminishing prospect of the event ending up there.  That aside, Tutu said:

"Many of you will remember how effective the sports boycott of the 1970s and 1980s was in conveying to sport-crazy South Africans that our society had placed itself beyond the pale by continuing to organise its life on the basis of racial discrimination."

White South Africans remain sports-crazy. I was on a conference call with one a few weeks ago and he tried to engage us in conversation about cricket. None of the Brits on the call even knew a match was in progress. Let alone the one Irish. He seemed baffled by our disinterest.

I'm not too sure the citizens of the KSA are, as a nation, sports-mad. The idea that KSA policy would be influenced by the AC going or not going to Jeddah is delusional. 

As a white South African I'm surprised none of the Brits knew the the Ashes was on. 

19 minutes ago, shebeen said:

As a white South African I'm surprised none of the Brits knew the the Ashes was on. 

Not sure when that was, but currently we are desperately trying to forget they are on. 

More seriously you have to remember that although cricket is bigger than sailing it is still a long way behind football in general awareness and perception. Not for me, but for most people. I have seriously (and to my annoyance) heard a BBC sports report at the end of the news where the lead sports item (in cricket season and not in football season) was that some footballer had NOT changed clubs (there had been speculation he would). No mention was made of the country cricket, it was too unimportant compared to this astonishing news of no change.

If the ashes is down under then it's during football season so the cricket is well down the order

10 hours ago, shebeen said:

Well yes, that was part of my argument. White South Africans seem to be particularly sports-obsessed and presume others to be the same. Therefore whereas, arguably, the apartheid sports boycotts had an effect, it's unreasonable to assume the same about a country like KSA.

I wasn't particularly commenting on cricket. For those that like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like.

Interesting article Ex, NZ Herald 31 Dec 2021

A new overseas location has come into the cloudy picture as a contender to host the 37th America's Cup, joining three previously-reported venues as hosting options for Team New Zealand's Cup defence. Paul Lewis reports.

Write down Malaga, in Spain, as a long shot for the venue for the 37th America's Cup – but there may be a firmer bet: some form of legal action in March once the venue is known. Malaga appears to be the mystery fourth venue hinted at in recent times; it has apparently joined Cork, Barcelona and Jeddah as options for Team New Zealand.

There is, however, another mystery to be solved: will Peter Burling and Blair Tuke leave Team NZ? Will they stay and lead the afterguard again or will they be there in a reduced capacity?

Let's deal with the venue and legal action first, intertwined as they are. Murmurs in yachting circles suggest Cork has been firming recently, with Ireland's government and officials slowly aligning on potential benefits.

However, Malaga has joined Barcelona in Spanish expressions of interest – although it is understood no central government money is yet backing either proposal. Malaga will quicken the interest of many yachties – not only an attractive venue sailing-wise, weather-wise and aesthetically, it is also just down the road from posh Marbella and not far from Seville, one of Europe's prettiest cities. Saudi Arabia is still there but scuttlebutt suggests they may be No 3 when it comes to the money on offer – and they've been focusing more on last month's inaugural F1 event anyway.

Also still there is the threat of court action – the latest from Sir Edmund "Ted" Thomas, one of the legal brains behind the quashing of the 1985 All Black tour of South Africa. He says he will act if any overseas venue is chosen. Jim Farmer QC has also promised legal action if Saudi is chosen; he and America's Cup Deed of Gift expert (the controlling document of the Cup) Hamish Ross are aligned with Mark Dunphy's Kiwi Home Defence campaign. It's difficult to see such action being successful. An overseas venue seems Deed-compliant; Alinghi (Valencia, 2007) and Oracle (Bermuda, 2017) have already set a precedent. However that does not preclude legal action, the law and lawyers being what they are, and a possible move to tie the team up in the courts.

If they did succeed and Team NZ dissolves, as team boss Grant Dalton has warned, the Deed says the Cup defence passes to any other New Zealand yacht club which wants to take it on (Mercury Bay Boating Club, anyone?). If there are no takers after three months, it reverts to the previous defender (Oracle). While the ability of legal action to stop an overseas defence is unclear, it has another useful consequence for the home defence proponents: sowing doubt among potential venues. The public relations campaign has been clever – lobbying potential venues quietly while playing the patriotism card publicly in New Zealand. The campaign has also run alongside a pre-existing condition, prevalent in those who may not understand all the twists and turns of an America's Cup campaign and see only the money involved. There's been a strong focus on Dalton, whose actions in seeking an overseas venue have attracted criticism in social media and comments sections of media websites by those who scorn "rich boys' toys". The word "greed" is often unfairly flung at him there – a false implication he is somehow personally benefitting from an overseas venue. The reality is the team is trying to raise enough money to hold the Cup overseas this time, in Auckland next...and Dalton is independently wealthy and has been for many a year.

After Alinghi took the Cup from Team NZ in Auckland in 2003, it sold the hosting rights for a series of regattas across three years to Valencia for about $150 million. That made Alinghi a profit of about $100 million, though no one is suggesting that much will spring from this venture.

Which brings us to Burling and Tuke. The hire of Nathan Outteridge and his combination with Glenn Ashby give the team a crack afterguard in case their other crack afterguard doesn't re-sign. Burling and Tuke's form in the SailGP series – an event with direct relevance to the America's Cup – has been less than stellar. The Team NZ review after the last Cup concluded the sailing team needed to perform better – a signal they may have had the fastest boat and a design advantage but didn't quite live up to potential. You also have to wonder about the effect on the team of the pair's reluctance to sign up thus far. Such things erode confidence and popularity within a team. The duo has made it known they are concerned about Jeddah as a potential venue. The human rights and conservation elements of this (committed ocean conservationists not keen on oil power Saudi Arabia as a venue) is admirable morally but less effective if you want to be a committed part of a professional sports team. There have been rumours around for some time Burling and Tuke want to run their own team or, more accurately, run their own race as professional sailors and conservation leaders with their Live Oceans charity. Maybe they will head in that direction this time. If they re-sign and stay, they will be competing for roles in a sailing crew reduced from 11 to eight – which doesn't preclude a double helmsmen approach (as employed by Luna Rossa in the last Cup) but could lead to a flatter management structure.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Write down Malaga, in Spain, as a long shot for the venue for the 37th America's Cup – but there may be a firmer bet: some form of legal action in March once the venue is known. Malaga appears to be the mystery fourth venue hinted at in recent times; it has apparently joined Cork, Barcelona and Jeddah as options for Team New Zealand.

Thanks, good opening summary there.

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

f they re-sign and stay, they will be competing for roles in a sailing crew reduced from 11 to eight – which doesn't preclude a double helmsmen approach (as employed by Luna Rossa in the last Cup) but could lead to a flatter management structure.

Interesting too..

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

hold the Cup overseas this time, in Auckland next

I still think this is a pipe dream. Once gone offshore I don't see it ever coming back to NZ. No government would want to risk throwing money at this event again. The blowback would most likely be to much to bother risking.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Interesting article Ex, NZ Herald 31 Dec 2021

A new overseas location has come into the cloudy picture as a contender to host the 37th America's Cup, joining three previously-reported venues as hosting options for Team New Zealand's Cup defence. Paul Lewis reports.

There is, however, another mystery to be solved: will Peter Burling and Blair Tuke leave Team NZ? Will they stay and lead the afterguard again or will they be there in a reduced capacity?

Let's deal with the venue and legal action first, intertwined as they are. Murmurs in yachting circles suggest Cork has been firming recently, with Ireland's government and officials slowly aligning on potential benefits.

However, Malaga has joined Barcelona in Spanish expressions of interest – although it is understood no central government money is yet backing either proposal. Malaga will quicken the interest of many yachties – not only an attractive venue sailing-wise, weather-wise and aesthetically, it is also just down the road from posh Marbella and not far from Seville, one of Europe's prettiest cities. Saudi Arabia is still there but scuttlebutt suggests they may be No 3 when it comes to the money on offer – and they've been focusing more on last month's inaugural F1 event anyway.

Also still there is the threat of court action – the latest from Sir Edmund "Ted" Thomas, one of the legal brains behind the quashing of the 1985 All Black tour of South Africa. He says he will act if any overseas venue is chosen. Jim Farmer QC has also promised legal action if Saudi is chosen; he and America's Cup Deed of Gift expert (the controlling document of the Cup) Hamish Ross are aligned with Mark Dunphy's Kiwi Home Defence campaign. It's difficult to see such action being successful. An overseas venue seems Deed-compliant; Alinghi (Valencia, 2007) and Oracle (Bermuda, 2017) have already set a precedent. However that does not preclude legal action, the law and lawyers being what they are, and a possible move to tie the team up in the courts.

If they did succeed and Team NZ dissolves, as team boss Grant Dalton has warned, the Deed says the Cup defence passes to any other New Zealand yacht club which wants to take it on (Mercury Bay Boating Club, anyone?). If there are no takers after three months, it reverts to the previous defender (Oracle). While the ability of legal action to stop an overseas defence is unclear, it has another useful consequence for the home defence proponents: sowing doubt among potential venues. The public relations campaign has been clever – lobbying potential venues quietly while playing the patriotism card publicly in New Zealand. The campaign has also run alongside a pre-existing condition, prevalent in those who may not understand all the twists and turns of an America's Cup campaign and see only the money involved. There's been a strong focus on Dalton, whose actions in seeking an overseas venue have attracted criticism in social media and comments sections of media websites by those who scorn "rich boys' toys". The word "greed" is often unfairly flung at him there – a false implication he is somehow personally benefitting from an overseas venue. The reality is the team is trying to raise enough money to hold the Cup overseas this time, in Auckland next...and Dalton is independently wealthy and has been for many a year.

After Alinghi took the Cup from Team NZ in Auckland in 2003, it sold the hosting rights for a series of regattas across three years to Valencia for about $150 million. That made Alinghi a profit of about $100 million, though no one is suggesting that much will spring from this venture.

Which brings us to Burling and Tuke. The hire of Nathan Outteridge and his combination with Glenn Ashby give the team a crack afterguard in case their other crack afterguard doesn't re-sign. Burling and Tuke's form in the SailGP series – an event with direct relevance to the America's Cup – has been less than stellar. The Team NZ review after the last Cup concluded the sailing team needed to perform better – a signal they may have had the fastest boat and a design advantage but didn't quite live up to potential. You also have to wonder about the effect on the team of the pair's reluctance to sign up thus far. Such things erode confidence and popularity within a team. The duo has made it known they are concerned about Jeddah as a potential venue. The human rights and conservation elements of this (committed ocean conservationists not keen on oil power Saudi Arabia as a venue) is admirable morally but less effective if you want to be a committed part of a professional sports team. There have been rumours around for some time Burling and Tuke want to run their own team or, more accurately, run their own race as professional sailors and conservation leaders with their Live Oceans charity. Maybe they will head in that direction this time. If they re-sign and stay, they will be competing for roles in a sailing crew reduced from 11 to eight – which doesn't preclude a double helmsmen approach (as employed by Luna Rossa in the last Cup) but could lead to a flatter management structure.

"posh Marbella", right...
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/may/20/a-united-nations-of-how-marbella-became-a-magnet-for-gangsters

• Like 1

Have you been there Rennie? I have, admittedly some years ago. Lots of wealthy, mostly older people, many expats from northern Europe. 16 golf courses, apparently. Crime was always there because of the drug and other smuggling activities but it didn't burn the wealthy or the tourists. So yes, posh would be a reasonable adjective to apply. Maybe the crime is now becoming more in your face, that piece makes it sound that way. But it makes it sound a bit straight outta Compton and I'm not sure that is a fair reflection. Felt more like Boca Raton to me.

59 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Have you been there Rennie? I have, admittedly some years ago. Lots of wealthy, mostly older people, many expats from northern Europe. 16 golf courses, apparently. Crime was always there because of the drug and other smuggling activities but it didn't burn the wealthy or the tourists. So yes, posh would be a reasonable adjective to apply. Maybe the crime is now becoming more in your face, that piece makes it sound that way. But it makes it sound a bit straight outta Compton and I'm not sure that is a fair reflection. Felt more like Boca Raton to me.

I have been to Malaga some years ago, never to Marbella tho.
Malaga was very touristy as far a I can remember; it had a nice atmosphere. I liked the Alcazaba, but I had a horrible cold back then, hence my memory is a bit cloudy.

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Perhaps this is a clue to the potential funding. The boats already have to have space for a "media package" and should be able to beat the police boats. If the course is set as Morocco and back then all will become clear 

25 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

I have been to Malaga some years ago, never to Marbella tho.
Malaga was very touristy as far a I can remember; it had a nice atmosphere. I liked the Alcazaba, but I had a horrible cold back then, hence my memory is a bit cloudy.

I've flown in and out of Malaga several times but never stopped off. Mostly heading inland and the bit in that article about cannabis cultivation in the hinterlands certainly rings true. I spent a week in Marbella once, mostly at a conference and very pleasant it was too. Also been to Seville and Granada, both well worth visiting, as are masses of smaller historic towns inland. Maybe not in the full summer heat.

14 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

I've flown in and out of Malaga several times but never stopped off. Mostly heading inland and the bit in that article about cannabis cultivation in the hinterlands certainly rings true. I spent a week in Marbella once, mostly at a conference and very pleasant it was too. Also been to Seville and Granada, both well worth visiting, as are masses of smaller towns inland. Maybe not in the full summer heat.

The whole of Andalusia is worth visiting, Sevilla, Granada, Cádiz, Córdoba, and Gibraltar of course. One of the most interesting regions in Europe if not worldwide. If you are into history and culture, go to Andalusia, it won't disappoint.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Do you have any idea how many big-time US gangsters have lived in Florida and other warmer places-- Las Vegas, etc-- over the years? 

I would not be at all surprised if the same is true in Marbella, especially with the EU making it easier for them to move around. 

19 minutes ago, accnick said:

Do you have any idea how many big-time US gangsters have lived in Florida and other warmer places-- Las Vegas, etc-- over the years? 

I would not be at all surprised if the same is true in Marbella, especially with the EU making it easier for them to move around. 

Absolutely right, Marbella is full of wealthy criminal bosses and has been for decades, going back before Spain joined the EU. A former British tabloid cliché was "Costa del Crime". However, for the most part they live quietly and privately. Tourists go around unaware and unmolested. That was my point. 

3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

The whole of Andalusia is worth visiting, Sevilla, Granada, Cádiz, Córdoba, and Gibraltar of course. One of the most interesting regions in Europe if not worldwide. If you are into history and culture, go to Andalusia, it won't disappoint.

Almeria used to be a busy film production place from the 60's until the late 70's. Wasn't unknown for a western and a WW2 movie to be based in the same hotel but filming in different valleys and the PM's had to make sure the actors ended in the right valley - not always easy after nights on the local wines. On Chatto's Land with Charles Bronson it rained most days and the whole plot was centered around being in a desert, he successfully pulled off dying of thirst whilst traversing washed out gullies and puddles. Was due to do a film out there once and my UK fixer turned out to speak Barcelona gutter Spanish so our costings were shit. There used to be a western town built with each story being one third smaller to help with costs. Hence all the low camera angles when shooting there.

2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Absolutely right, Marbella is full of wealthy criminal bosses and has been for decades, going back before Spain joined the EU. A former British tabloid cliché was "Costa del Crime". However, for the most part they live quietly and privately. Tourists go around unaware and unmolested. That was my point. 

Just don't get into an argument with one of them.

They never really retire, and they know people who do things.

1 hour ago, chesirecat said:

Almeria used to be a busy film production place from the 60's until the late 70's. Wasn't unknown for a western and a WW2 movie to be based in the same hotel but filming in different valleys and the PM's had to make sure the actors ended in the right valley - not always easy after nights on the local wines. On Chatto's Land with Charles Bronson it rained most days and the whole plot was centered around being in a desert, he successfully pulled off dying of thirst whilst traversing washed out gullies and puddles. Was due to do a film out there once and my UK fixer turned out to speak Barcelona gutter Spanish so our costings were shit. There used to be a western town built with each story being one third smaller to help with costs. Hence all the low camera angles when shooting there.

Is this the region where some Spaghetti Westerns were also filmed?

9 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

It at least looked so. For a couple of Euros you can visit this western town near Almería (Fort Bravo?). Or you can save the money and just drive around in the sierras; there it looks like in any odd western.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

It at least looked so. For a couple of Euros you can visit this western town near Almería (Fort Bravo?). Or you can save the money and just drive around in the sierras; there it looks like in any odd western.

Am guessing Malaga and the surrounding area are more attractive tourism-wise than (charming but small) Cork would be.

It's interesting that the NZ Herald guy also came up with Malaga. There's a reasonable chance he was tipped off by the team, which would add credibility to the possibility.

35 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yep. Was a great place for films and commercials. Better cost wise than going to Italy. Get your money/gold out through Switzerland more efficiently as well. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, chesirecat said:

Almeria used to be a busy film production place from the 60's until the late 70's. 

I watched "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" recently for the first time in years and looked up the locations. The desert scenes were apparently shot in Gata-Nijar, which is maybe 100 miles E from Malaga. Looks like it might be an interesting place to visit.

In the opposite direction, an hour W of Seville, is El Rocio, which looks absolutely ready for The Man with No Name to ride in on a mule. I was told it has been used as a film set. https://visitsouthernspain.com/el-rocio-spain-andalusia/

One of the reasons given for the delay of the venue announcement was covid. I guess that was meant to mean travel to the venues. 

Anyone seen GD at an airport recently?

1 hour ago, shebeen said:

Anyone seen GD at an airport recently?

No, but to be fair my total number of flights in 2021 was a big fat zero so I wouldn't have. (Down from a personal record of 97 a few years back)

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

I watched "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" recently for the first time in years and looked up the locations. The desert scenes were apparently shot in Gata-Nijar, which is maybe 100 miles E from Malaga. Looks like it might be an interesting place to visit.

In the opposite direction, an hour W of Seville, is El Rocio, which looks absolutely ready for The Man with No Name to ride in on a mule. I was told it has been used as a film set. https://visitsouthernspain.com/el-rocio-spain-andalusia/

More recently (2013) there was a nice little Spanish film “Living is easy with eyes closed” shot in Almería, about a Beatles-obsessed English teacher and John Lennon filming “What I did in the war” there

That said, and still firmly in the AKL camp, if by any chance it came to Spain it could only be in Valencia

6 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Terry Gilliam should have gone there instead of Bardenas Reales for La Mancha, might have saved the film, well maybe not as he hasn't changed.

10 hours ago, Xlot said:

More recently (2013) there was a nice little Spanish film “Living is easy with eyes closed” shot in Almería, about a Beatles-obsessed English teacher and John Lennon filming “What I did in the war” there

That said, and still firmly in the AKL camp, if by any chance it came to Spain it could only be in Valencia

Valencia: “For a Few Dollars More” ? 

• Like 1
On 1/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, Xlot said:

if by any chance it came to Spain it could only be in Valencia

Honest question, as I respect your feel for their decision making sensibility - do you really think there is any meaningful chance of Valencia (or any other Spanish port) paying a big hosting fee again (and without any claw back provision) to play this game?  I would have thought not, but I am way to distant to understand how they might be thinking about it.

@estarzinger Short answer: of course not. I don’t see how any government could authorize paying 55M€ (see the Irish Examiner piece) to a non-European, private entity which rejects oversight even on local expenditures

• Like 2

America's Cup: Pace picks up on AC37 venue selection - multiple venues in play

https://www.sail-world.com/news/245261/Americas-Cup-Pace-quickens-on-AC37-venue-choice

AND HERE IS THE KEY by RG

Attempts at legal action in New Zealand to require the America's Cup to be defended in the home waters of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron are believed to be unlikely to succeed, given that there are few parallels with earlier successful legal actions against sports teams. Emirates Team New Zealand is a private team and not a NZ representative team in the way that the All Blacks were in 1985.

And in regard to issues relating to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, New Zealand continues to trade with the Kingdom to the tune of around NZD$750million per year. The legal argument will have to centre around why sport should be treated differently from commerce.

4 minutes ago, nroose said:

That's pretty awesome. Goody should have been on the helm last time! I wonder if Hutch will insist on being on the boat again!?

Goodie was the wing trimmer this last time, right? I'd love to see them sign Slingsby for that role, like what he did for the Oracle teams including for on the AC72s.

5 minutes ago, nroose said:

That's pretty awesome. Goody should have been on the helm last time! I wonder if Hutch will insist on being on the boat again!?

I heard that part of the agreement was that TH would not be on the boat nor actually running the overall team.  Apparently they have a CEO appointed from Amway or Quantum running the team.  New COO as well.  Whole "leadership" group from AC36 removed or demoted. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

I heard that part of the agreement was that TH would not be on the boat nor actually running the overall team.  Apparently they have a CEO appointed from Amway or Quantum running the team.  New COO as well.  Whole "leadership" group from AC36 removed or demoted. 

TH was only the 'Skipper' (and tactician) last time iirc. And Max had the same 'Skipper' title, despite not being on the LR yacht?

In the podcast I posted yesterday TH said he has 25 full-time designers already deep into it.

2 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

That's some bold moves. Heads rolled!

3 minutes ago, nroose said:

That's some bold moves. Heads rolled!

They did come in last place and lost every race when it actually counted.  First to launch, first to sail....yadda yadda yadda....lots of noise and no results when it was actually time to show up.   Everyone loves the Detroit Lions when they go 3 - 0 in the preseason..... ;)

2 hours ago, Chobani Sailor said:

They did come in last place and lost every race when it actually counted.  First to launch, first to sail....yadda yadda yadda....lots of noise and no results when it was actually time to show up.   Everyone loves the Detroit Lions when they go 3 - 0 in the preseason..... ;)

I mean, there were 4 boats. And not all that many races. And they were ahead when they crashed. I tend to think that the best of the best were always losers at one point. Or many points. Losing is a great way to learn a lot. I have certainly learned a lot from losing. And some people think trying isn't good enough, but I have never seen anyone do anything hard well without a whole lot of trying.

• Like 2

If Goody is skipper/helm, is THutch out? Or just CEO/Team Executive off the boat?

18 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Goodie was the wing trimmer this last time, right? I'd love to see them sign Slingsby for that role, like what he did for the Oracle teams including for on the AC72s.

Slingsby wasn't the wing trimmer, he was strategist on the 72, tactician on the 50.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, nroose said:

But also I don't think TH or DB were really well suited for sailing on an AC75.

I think they were better suited than anyone here.. 

Otherwise short of Slingers and Nathan who else? 

one of whom is still without a ride.. so either the guys writing the cheques don’t think he is better or something else is up. 

So we now have all existing teams and one new/ old team without a venue. 

So much for no venue and costs being a problem.

Goes to show, Dalton knows what he's doing.

I hate to say I told you so but...

I told you so.

7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I told you so.

Never miss a chance to wank daltons dick, do you?

It's great news that AM are officially in. But the fact you're all over that proclaiming daltons success is disgusting.

36 minutes ago, atwinda said:

Never miss a chance to wank daltons dick, do you?

It's great news that AM are officially in. But the fact you're all over that proclaiming daltons success is disgusting.

You have an unhealthy obsession with Daltons dick.

Just remember, the first step to addressing the problem, is admitting you have one. 

So go, on, just admit it. 

From the very beginning I said costs were not prohibitive to entry. They said the AC75 was too expensive, yet its the first class since the IACC to see continuity and a shared agreement by all teams to use the class in a 2nd cycle. I also said a delayed venue announcement would not hinder progress because the teams have open communication with the Defender.

That all turned out to be true.

So say what you want about , I don't care.

But... I told you so.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I told you so.

They haven't entered....waiting on announcement of location.  Read between the lines.

4 minutes ago, E2nO said:

American Magic is pleased to confirm that it intends to compete in the 37th America’s Cup (AC37) and represent the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) against the field of challengers and the Defender Emirates Team New Zealand for the most coveted prize in sailing.

Earlier this week the Trustees of the New York Yacht Club approved a challenge for the 37th edition of the America’s Cup, sailing’s most prestigious trophy.

16 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

They haven't entered....waiting on announcement of location.  Read between the lines.

American Magic is pleased to confirm that it intends to compete in the 37th America’s Cup (AC37) and represent the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) against the field of challengers and the Defender Emirates Team New Zealand for the most coveted prize in sailing.

1 minute ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Earlier this week the Trustees of the New York Yacht Club approved a challenge for the 37th edition of the America’s Cup, sailing’s most prestigious trophy.

Confirmation they are a challenger.

Costs and venue are not prohibitive.

Told you so.

Just now, Forourselves said:

The team and the Club await the announcement of the venue and race schedule for AC37, the details for the America’s Cup World Series, and the plan for the youth and women’s events. The venue announcement is expected on March 31, 2022.

The team and the Club await the announcement of the venue and race schedule for AC37, the details for the America’s Cup World Series, and the plan for the youth and women’s events. The venue announcement is expected on March 31, 2022.

All teams await the venue announcement, not just American Magic.

Awaiting just means they're waiting for Team NZ to make an announcement. Like all teams.

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

All teams await the venue announcement, not just American Magic.

Awaiting just means they're waiting for Team NZ to make an announcement. Like all teams.

I am sure you will learn from GD this weekend if they received the entry from American Magic and we should know by the end of the next week if in fact they entered and were accepted. 

For now, this is just multiple press releases that were carefully written to generate news.

I am sure you will learn from GD this weekend if they received the entry from American Magic and we should know by the end of the next week if in fact they entered and were accepted. 

For now, this is just multiple press releases that were carefully written to generate news.

The Press Release is confirmation of their challenge.

5 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

So S&S entered too.....lol

If you're talking AC36, yes, LBYC and S+S did submit a challenge to the RNZYS which was accepted. That entry was later withdrawn by the LBYC.

Can you please provide a link where Stars + Stripes and their representative Yacht Club announced their intention to compete in AC37?

You'll find there isn't one.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

If you're talking AC36, yes, LBYC and S+S did submit a challenge to the RNZYS which was accepted. That entry was later withdrawn by the LBYC.

Can you please provide a link where Stars + Stripes and their representative Yacht Club announced their intention to compete in AC37?

You'll find there isn't one.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-starsstripes-usa-confirm-commitment-to-americas-cup-challenge/5HN3NDFQEJTSHII537WRZ5BGKM/

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Stars + Stripes can say what they want. But as long as they don't have a representative yacht club, they aren't Deed compliant, and it means nothing. Thats the difference.

RNZYS/ Emirates Team NZ, RYS/ INEOS Britannia, SNG/ Alinghi, CVS/ Luna Rossa and NYYC/ American Magic have all jointly confirmed their intentions.

S+S isn't a yacht Club.

• Like 1