Jump to content

The AC 37 has started, news and rumours


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Strider, calmati. It's unlikely a 1-1 AC match off the Isle of Wight will happen. Much more likely the next AC will be in Auckland 2024 and LR can be a challenger.

It's all too easy to become one of the bitter and twisted folk on SAAC drinking from lost Cups gone by.

Take a break. It's spring. Go for a sail in the Mar Tirreno. :)

 

I can't go. Red zone

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not calling this out for the sake of ostracizing you, nor to play PC police on a forum that is notorious for the opposite of that. I could just hit ignore, delete or whatever. I’m calling this out

Hilarious to watch Kiwis who've been around since AC35 twist themselves into intellectual pretzels to give ETNZ a pass on what they screamed bloody murder about when Oracle did it. Even Oracle di

I have not been able to read all the comments in this forum but it seems that the possbility of a 1-to-1 match between New Zealand and Ineos is seriously been considered. For example, De Nora has conf

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Indio said:

Why?? The AC will always remain a niche event, accessible only to those with the $$$ to participate. Those who don't like it are welcome to fuck off and watch any one of dozens of other regattas around the world.

The AC has never been an equal-opportunity challenge event.

Yet you support ETNZ turning it into a money generating red bull stadium event. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Ben Ainslie was spot on. Richard Gladwell complained heavily in his articles that racing should have never been conducted under NZ's Level 2 Restrictions. That was probably the final nail in the coffin why Dalts broke up with the Italians. He was trying to put up a good Event and LR especially Francesco Longaresi-Cattani, Alessandra Pandarese and Marco Mercuriali were trying to sabotage with their constant insisting on racing under Level 2.

You're talking about a secretive CoR? Looking ahead to AC37 Ainslie, Ratcliffe, Royal Yacht Squadron basically have waived traditional CoR rights by having this "Single Event Authority". It will be more like 2007 where every Challenger had a vote in a Meeting and not the CoR consistently calling the strings.

So did you bitch about the Cup races during level? Nah, thought not. Ben needed breathing room and was prepared to want the rules changed to get it. I don't blame him for trying, but don't try and make it out as some saintly move.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jaysper said:

1. NZ and US.

2. NZ, ITA, SUI, USA.

3. Depends on definition of modern era, but if mean post 83, then it is 5 I believe when all the yanks converged on Fremantle.

 

 

1. Which two countries have entered a challenger in the challenger series in more years in the modern era than any other countries?

France and Italy with 6 a piece.

France entered a challenger in all 5 of the IACC challenger series and participated again at Bermuda

The USA has been at every AC but was defender for four of those

2. How many countries in total have challenged for the AC in the modern era(post 12 meters)?

13 countries have challenged for the AC during the 8 cycles of the cup in the modern era.

Italy

France

Spain

Australia

Japan (4 times!)

Sweden

New Zealand

Switzerland

China

USA

GBR (only 2 times)

South Africa (once)

and one other team.....can you name the country of origin of the 13th team?

What is the most challengers from a single country in a single year in the modern era and when was that?

Correct. It was the USA that sent no less than 5 challenging syndicates

BUT it was 2000 and it was to Auckland where no less than 11 challengers showed up for the Luis Vuitton Challenger series, of which 5 teams were USA syndicates.  The winner of the grueling challenger series was Prada.  But she was beaten (21 years ago) by Team New Zealand in the final.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What if, the Isle of Wight race is used as a marketing pull for the Cup?  Say setup Isle of Wight race an ACWS event, all Challengers and Defender must compete in this event for the qualification to participate in the Cup itself?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

What if, the Isle of Wight race is used as a marketing pull for the Cup?  Say setup Isle of Wight race an ACWS event, all Challengers and Defender must compete in this event for the qualification to participate in the Cup itself?

Not happening, Dalts has confirmed a one off against the Poms is likely.

I just hope the Poms win and then tell him to fuck off over the 'agreement' to go back to NZ. Serve Dalts right to be treated like the cunt he is turning into.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalton backed the decision.

"It is quite cool and to take it effectively right back to where it came in 1851, I think is good for the event," he said.

So he is full of complete bullshit to justify his asshole behaviour. Making shit up, fuck me, someone take this chalice away from us.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

and then they call themselves a National Team

I dont think there anything in the DoG about national teams.  It was a Yacht Club team representing a club not a nation.  For some reason a lot of people seem to think the AC is about national teams vs national teams, it club vs club and the nationalities of the sailors is totally irrelevant.  It is Dalton that is trying this on to tear at the emotions of NZ so they can lever more money from the tax-payer.  Do you think maybe that Emirates has slammed the door shut on Dalton and now he is desperate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trt131 said:

I dont think there anything in the DoG about national teams.  It was a Yacht Club team representing a club not a nation.  For some reason a lot of people seem to think the AC is about national teams vs national teams, it club vs club and the nationalities of the sailors is totally irrelevant.  It is Dalton that is trying this on to tear at the emotions of NZ so they can lever more money from the tax-payer.  Do you think maybe that Emirates has slammed the door shut on Dalton and now he is desperate.

to be honest it was created as a friendly competition between foreign countries. Any organized Yacht Club of a foreign country...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Not happening, Dalts has confirmed a one off against the Poms is likely.

I just hope the Poms win and then tell him to fuck off over the 'agreement' to go back to NZ. Serve Dalts right to be treated like the cunt he is turning into.

Why is UK the "Poms"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Why is UK the "Poms"?

Australians (and probably Kiwis) refer to the Brits as "Poms" or "Pommys" .

It dates back to pre WW1.

Likely explanation is that when Brits arrived in Australia unused to the sun they turned bright red like Pomegranate and Pomegranate works as rhyming slang with immigrant.  Shortened to "Pom". 

Much nicer that what Aussies call Americans which is "seppos", for "Septic Tank rhymes with Yank .

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, trt131 said:

But not national teams as selected by the the country's governing body.

Yes, you are right. It was just to say that a loose idea of a national-level competition is in the deed, "indeed" :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Yes, you are right. It was just to say that a loose idea of a national-level competition is in the deed, "indeed" :)

 

Ted Lasso creeps into our forum?  :) dirty deeds, not cheap? ( it is match racing after all.....)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kiwin said:

Thanks for this link.

It made for an interesting read. But under the heading of "Alternative names for Welsh People"  It describes the term, "Sheepshagger" as offensive . This might be confusing to New Zealanders who would consider it a compliment and a rite of passage for any young man reaching adulthood. 

At least, that is how an Australian friend of mine described it.

:)  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Australians (and probably Kiwis) refer to the Brits as "Poms" or "Pommys" .

It dates back to pre WW1.

Likely explanation is that when Brits arrived in Australia unused to the sun they turned bright red like Pomegranate and Pomegranate works as rhyming slang with immigrant.  Shortened to "Pom". 

Much nicer that what Aussies call Americans which is "seppos", for "Septic Tank rhymes with Yank .

Glad to know it.    :lol:   (As I was reading your post, our automated oh so modern Septic System kicked on.  Make of that what you will.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gissie said:

It's not, but Sir Ben and his crew are.

Sir Ben is one of the most classy guys you can ever meet very much like Dean Barker, gentleman-like and like my other huge Sporting Idol Roger Federer. It's only on the water where he let's it all out and when someone is trying to shut him out like Francesco Longaresi-Cattani tried to do with that Final Prada Cup Presser.

Not every Italian but some of them are just pricks. It's getting waaay over their head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Much the same as Ernie after 2007

At least the COR is an actual yacht club, not a sock puppet ^_^

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Sir Ben is one of the most classy guys you can ever meet very much like Dean Barker, gentleman-like and like my other huge Sporting Idol Roger Federer. It's only on the water where he let's it all out and when someone is trying to shut him out like Francesco Longaresi-Cattani tried to do with that Final Prada Cup Presser.

Not every Italian but some of them are just pricks. It's getting waaay over their head.

But he is still a Pom, or if he really is a nice guy, a Pommy cunt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

 

1. Which two countries have entered a challenger in the challenger series in more years in the modern era than any other countries?

France and Italy with 6 a piece.

France entered a challenger in all 5 of the IACC challenger series and participated again at Bermuda

The USA has been at every AC but was defender for four of those

2. How many countries in total have challenged for the AC in the modern era(post 12 meters)?

13 countries have challenged for the AC during the 8 cycles of the cup in the modern era.

Italy

France

Spain

Australia

Japan (4 times!)

Sweden

New Zealand

Switzerland

China

USA

GBR (only 2 times)

South Africa (once)

and one other team.....can you name the country of origin of the 13th team?

What is the most challengers from a single country in a single year in the modern era and when was that?

Correct. It was the USA that sent no less than 5 challenging syndicates

BUT it was 2000 and it was to Auckland where no less than 11 challengers showed up for the Luis Vuitton Challenger series, of which 5 teams were USA syndicates.  The winner of the grueling challenger series was Prada.  But she was beaten (21 years ago) by Team New Zealand in the final.

Hey no fair

For number 2 I thought you meant actual challengers rather than in the challengers series.

Better read the fine print next time.:lol:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

 

1. Which two countries have entered a challenger in the challenger series in more years in the modern era than any other countries?

France and Italy with 6 a piece.

France entered a challenger in all 5 of the IACC challenger series and participated again at Bermuda

The USA has been at every AC but was defender for four of those

2. How many countries in total have challenged for the AC in the modern era(post 12 meters)?

13 countries have challenged for the AC during the 8 cycles of the cup in the modern era.

Italy

France

Spain

Australia

Japan (4 times!)

Sweden

New Zealand

Switzerland

China

USA

GBR (only 2 times)

South Africa (once)

and one other team.....can you name the country of origin of the 13th team?

What is the most challengers from a single country in a single year in the modern era and when was that?

Correct. It was the USA that sent no less than 5 challenging syndicates

BUT it was 2000 and it was to Auckland where no less than 11 challengers showed up for the Luis Vuitton Challenger series, of which 5 teams were USA syndicates.  The winner of the grueling challenger series was Prada.  But she was beaten (21 years ago) by Team New Zealand in the final.

Germany. Unites Internet in VLC, AC32.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Amati said:

Glad to know it.    :lol:   (As I was reading your post, our automated oh so modern Septic System kicked on.  Make of that what you will.)

Kiwis definitely call them poms.

It was considered quite derogatory in NZ but I think most people in NZ are like me and use it without any ill intention just like yank, frog, ities, ockers, what not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

Kiwis definitely call them poms.

It was considered quite derogatory in NZ but I think most people in NZ are like me and use it without any ill intention just like yank, frog, ities, ockers, what not.

“What Not?”  Them’s fighting’ words!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Sir Ben is one of the most classy guys you can ever meet very much like Dean Barker, gentleman-like and like my other huge Sporting Idol Roger Federer. It's only on the water where he let's it all out and when someone is trying to shut him out like Francesco Longaresi-Cattani tried to do with that Final Prada Cup Presser.

Not every Italian but some of them are just pricks. It's getting waaay over their head.

Pricks are just random scattered withoud any nationality rule I fear

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Kiwis definitely call them poms.

It was considered quite derogatory in NZ but I think most people in NZ are like me and use it without any ill intention just like yank, frog, ities, ockers, what not.

Like us Paddys or Micks :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Pricks are just random scattered withoud any nationality rule I fear

Well, what Longaresi-Cattani was trying to do was IMO waaay over his head. The guy really lost his mind there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

They have announced protocol in 8 months but that it will be in AC 75s so presumably existing teams can fire up right away with 2 boat testing in their existing boats since they are not subject to a protocol at this time.  If I was Ineos, I would be making multiple foil packages and hacking the heck out of Rita for the next 6-7 months

You have to be careful of that without a Protocol. The Protocol is frequently applicable as of the end of racing for the last iteration of the Cup, particularly if they are continuing to race under the same class rule. This could include component and component modification limits.

Presumably, neither INEOS nor ETNZ would shoot themselves in the foot in this regard when drafting the new Protocol and updated Class Rule.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

They also had GER 100, IIRC? 

100 was the last Alinghi boat.

It was GER 101. I don't think it was ever finished was it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Well, what Longaresi-Cattani was trying to do was IMO waaay over his head. The guy really lost his mind there.

I'm sure it was not done on purpose to offend Ben or the British, even if I agree it was not correct and not a smart move, but they immediately amended for that presser and apologized. Ben's reaction was a little bit too much violent with an old man IMHO. Nothing in comparison to the ACE behaviour towards Luna Rossa, for which I expected apologies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jaysper said:

100 was the last Alinghi boat.

It was GER 101. I don't think it was ever finished was it?

You are correct mate, apologies :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IACC_yachts

I just remember the photo of the boat builders holding a piece of cardboard with the number, it was 101

I did buy a t-shirt from their site back in the day, pretty cheap by cup standards

https://web.archive.org/web/20070307231738/http://www.united-internet-team-germany.de/

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

I'm sure it was not done on purpose to offend Ben or the British, even if I agree it was not correct and not a smart move, but they immediately amended for that presser. Ben's reaction was a little bit too much violent with an old man IMHO. Nothing in comparison to the ACE behaviuor towards Luna Rossa, for which I expected apologies.

Really? I disagree. It was excatly done on purpose, let one of the competing Teams pay for it for whatever the spat they had with the ACE! Not really nice from my Point of view. Why do thing Ben was so offended by it? It takes a lot to make him angry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else wish that dietrich mateschitz/Red Bull would get into the AC? Considering how they've dabbled in the XSS and other series and already sponsored Oracle/JS, I feel like it's not that much of a stretch for them to start what amounts to just another f1 team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

They also had GER 100, IIRC? 

 

19 minutes ago, jaysper said:

100 was the last Alinghi boat.

It was GER 101. I don't think it was ever finished was it?

They bought SUI 91 and built GER 101, and couldn't do anything with these boats anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Cool story for you.  I was a Cavalry Officer in the US Army.  On many occasions we wear a felt Stetson (go watch Apocalypse Now, or We Were Soldiers)...  I was once told to remove my "cover" indoors... I told that ranking officer from a different division to go fuck himself and that if he wanted me to remove my Stetson he would have to remove it himself.    

After quite a few "discussions"...  the ranking officer appiligized to me!!!  A Cavalry Stetson, in the US Army, as part of the uniform, is authorized to be worn indoors. I'll edit this with a picture. 

20210319_172851.jpg

A captain, I see.

Here are the analogous Marine Corps regulations:

d. Headgear is normally removed indoors. Marines in a duty status and wearing side-arms or a pistol belt will remain covered indoors except when entering a space where a meal is in progress or religious services are being conducted. Headgear will be worn in Government vehicles, except when doing so would present a hazard to safe driving. Wear of headgear in privately owned vehicles is not required.

 

Growing up, my father was always covered when outdoors. He even wore a hat when he was in civvies. Habit dies hard for Marines. He was buried in his uniform. No cover, however.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Really? I disagree. It was excatly done on purpose, let one of the competing Teams pay for it for whatever the spat they had with the ACE! Not really nice from my Point of view. Why do thing Ben was so offended by it? It takes a lot to make him angry.

Ben is a legend as a sailor, not for being a particularly calm guy in many situations.

I heard the Italian bell on the matter and I have no reason not to believe to the bona fide. They were wrong, they amended and apologized.  They had no reason to offend anyone, especially after such a series. What did you pretend more? You are free to stick with your opinion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

You are correct mate, apologies :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IACC_yachts

I just remember the photo of the boat builders holding a piece of cardboard with the number, it was 101

I did buy a t-shirt from their site back in the day, pretty cheap by cup standards

https://web.archive.org/web/20070307231738/http://www.united-internet-team-germany.de/

 

LOL! Don't apologize, otherwise this place will start showing signs of civility!

Did they end up finishing 101? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

 

1. Which two countries have entered a challenger in the challenger series in more years in the modern era than any other countries?

France and Italy with 6 a piece.

France entered a challenger in all 5 of the IACC challenger series and participated again at Bermuda

The USA has been at every AC but was defender for four of those

2. How many countries in total have challenged for the AC in the modern era(post 12 meters)?

13 countries have challenged for the AC during the 8 cycles of the cup in the modern era.

Italy

France

Spain

Australia

Japan (4 times!)

Sweden

New Zealand

Switzerland

China

USA

GBR (only 2 times)

South Africa (once)

and one other team.....can you name the country of origin of the 13th team?

 

I depends on how you count it. 

Russia challenged and built two boats in 1992. One of those boats made it to San Diego, but never sailed. It was a complete boat, but I don't think it was ever even launched, since they didn't pay their yard bills.

Yugoslavia also challenged in 1992. They started a molded wooden boat, but it was never finished.

And has been mentioned, there was Germany...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marlowe said:

Typically shoddy NZ Herald. Dalts doesn't confirm the rumours (next AC round Isle of Wight), at best he confirms there are rumours.

If it happens it will be a dog n pony show (as Paddywackery says), not an an AC match.

Yes a rubbish article. Deliberately obscures whatever it's trying to say.

I'd guess the outcome would be as you say,@marlowe
, which would be fun!

Question: what's the sea state around the Isle of Wight? Could these things hack it in any weather?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

They have announced protocol in 8 months but that it will be in AC 75s so presumably existing teams can fire up right away with 2 boat testing in their existing boats since they are not subject to a protocol at this time.  If I was Ineos, I would be making multiple foil packages and hacking the heck out of Rita for the next 6-7 months

Huh? Two-boat testing? Not anymore.

Simulators, AI and Bots are clearly where the cutting edge is now at. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Sure they can. Money can walk.  Mount a challenge from an emerging country and you can bring half of your best guys and have half grinders from the local country. There is no nationality restriction on the source of funds. 

no they cant the new rule has lots of conditions "the devil is in the detail" to capture and disallow "workarounds" like above

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Huh? Two-boat testing? Not anymore.

Simulators, AI and Bots are clearly where the cutting edge is now at. 

I'll have to finish translating Verdier's interview, this is not exactly what he says.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear SAYC is to conjoin with LBYC for the UK race w Snapper on the Stick for Local Knowalage

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I'll have to finish translating Verdier's interview, this is not exactly what he says.

No. But he may well need to up his game too, to stay in the vanguard.

Design technology has definitely moved along from VPP's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the new rules.

1. Immediate statement of intention to provide some clarity for those wishing to put together a syndicate.

2. Nationality rules are good. If you think of the teams in NZ over the last few months we always referred to them as the Italians, the Americans, the British (poms) and the Kiwi's. Not like Oracle and Alinghi who were teams of hired guns. The enormous support Team GB, LRPP, and ETNZ got was because they were national teams, full of patriots (except JS)

3. Not sure about the Isle of Wright race but it will give TR the opportunity to stretch her legs, something that we have not had over the last few months. If it provides some exposure for the AC and some cash for teams and some hospitality options and some racing  - well that can only be good. (ps the Poms have no chance with Rita)

4. There will always be some winners and losers with the rules around a new regatta. Alinghi being the biggest loser, a point that I am happy with. The winners will be the Franseco, Ben, Burling. They are with established teams from their own country and have many hours racing AC75's in anger (although I suggest that Ben retires from the sailing team). 

5. Opportunity: China, France, Australia, Sweden, Japan, Stars and Stripes are all provided some leeway to enter the next round. I would suggest that they put in an offer for one of the boat 1's from the existing teams. Crew work is important.

6. World Series. I would like to see a regatta in the UK, Italy and NY (yes Am Magic will be back) in 2022/3 with maybe support races with smaller foilers (junior class). Seeing these boats race with your own eyes will increase interest from all and gain sponsors some exposure in the in-between years. If other countries or cities (Abu Dhabi, Saudi, Spain.... are willing to front with a hosting fee it would be good to have other regatta's at these places.

The New Zealand Government need to front with some cash otherwise they will lose the ability to host some of these events and NZ will increasingly lose many of the benefits of being the holders of the cup.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Yes, I am with you. As I explained Alinghi had only 3 Swiss Sailors in their Team in 2003. That was cut down to 1 for 2007 in Ernesto. And Larry did the same thing. In 2010 only he & John Kostecki was on that giant Trimaran and in 2013 it was only Rome Kirby after Kostecki got jettisoned for Ben after 5 Races.

your point just further highlights and reinforced what I was believing, interesting and telling statistics you have provided 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trt131 said:

And the weather guru

I guess the idea is to have foreigners design us the fastest boat, then claim it as our own with full crew of Kiwis, apart from the Aussie ringer of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, idontwan2know said:

Nationality rules are good for ginning up the rooting interests of the handful of nations who can mount a respectable team.

They are bad for creating a compelling event with several competent teams, and it's certainly not good for the sport.

Emerging teams get a bit of leeway in the Nat rules. NO sailing for Japan?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blitzkrieg9 said:

Why is UK the "Poms"?

 

3 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Australians (and probably Kiwis) refer to the Brits as "Poms" or "Pommys" .

It dates back to pre WW1.

Likely explanation is that when Brits arrived in Australia unused to the sun they turned bright red like Pomegranate and Pomegranate works as rhyming slang with immigrant.  Shortened to "Pom". 

Much nicer that what Aussies call Americans which is "seppos", for "Septic Tank rhymes with Yank .

It’s an Australian term for when the English were sent to Australia as convicts? Prisoner Of Mother England or POME later to be shortened as POM 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Emerging teams get a bit of leeway in the Nat rules. NO sailing for Japan?

I suspect If an Emerging Nation is backed by a wealthy Billionaire they will not get much dispensation in regards to nationality rules

Link to post
Share on other sites

POME, Prisoner Of Mother England or "pommy is based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion"

To have seen red lobster brits on Spanish beaches, I can agree on the second definition :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I suspect If an Emerging Nation is backed by a wealthy Billionaire they will not get much dispensation in regards to nationality rules

It's a very vague clause...I suspect it's what Grant and Jim deem........EN will probably mean no fucking hope of winning, but pays all fees and adds gloss to the event.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

I like the new rules.

1. Immediate statement of intention to provide some clarity for those wishing to put together a syndicate.

2. Nationality rules are good. If you think of the teams in NZ over the last few months we always referred to them as the Italians, the Americans, the British (poms) and the Kiwi's. Not like Oracle and Alinghi who were teams of hired guns. The enormous support Team GB, LRPP, and ETNZ got was because they were national teams, full of patriots (except JS)

3. Not sure about the Isle of Wright race but it will give TR the opportunity to stretch her legs, something that we have not had over the last few months. If it provides some exposure for the AC and some cash for teams and some hospitality options and some racing  - well that can only be good. (ps the Poms have no chance with Rita)

4. There will always be some winners and losers with the rules around a new regatta. Alinghi being the biggest loser, a point that I am happy with. The winners will be the Franseco, Ben, Burling. They are with established teams from their own country and have many hours racing AC75's in anger (although I suggest that Ben retires from the sailing team). 

5. Opportunity: China, France, Australia, Sweden, Japan, Stars and Stripes are all provided some leeway to enter the next round. I would suggest that they put in an offer for one of the boat 1's from the existing teams. Crew work is important.

6. World Series. I would like to see a regatta in the UK, Italy and NY (yes Am Magic will be back) in 2022/3 with maybe support races with smaller foilers (junior class). Seeing these boats race with your own eyes will increase interest from all and gain sponsors some exposure in the in-between years. If other countries or cities (Abu Dhabi, Saudi, Spain.... are willing to front with a hosting fee it would be good to have other regatta's at these places.

The New Zealand Government need to front with some cash otherwise they will lose the ability to host some of these events and NZ will increasingly lose many of the benefits of being the holders of the cup.

 

 

As General De Gaulle famously said, “vaste programme”

Or, more pedestrially, “et le vélo de ma grand-mère, ça t’intéresse pas?”

Inquire with TC if needed

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barnyb said:

I like the new rules.

1. Immediate statement of intention to provide some clarity for those wishing to put together a syndicate.

2. Nationality rules are good. If you think of the teams in NZ over the last few months we always referred to them as the Italians, the Americans, the British (poms) and the Kiwi's. Not like Oracle and Alinghi who were teams of hired guns. The enormous support Team GB, LRPP, and ETNZ got was because they were national teams, full of patriots (except JS)

3. Not sure about the Isle of Wright race but it will give TR the opportunity to stretch her legs, something that we have not had over the last few months. If it provides some exposure for the AC and some cash for teams and some hospitality options and some racing  - well that can only be good. (ps the Poms have no chance with Rita)

4. There will always be some winners and losers with the rules around a new regatta. Alinghi being the biggest loser, a point that I am happy with. The winners will be the Franseco, Ben, Burling. They are with established teams from their own country and have many hours racing AC75's in anger (although I suggest that Ben retires from the sailing team). 

5. Opportunity: China, France, Australia, Sweden, Japan, Stars and Stripes are all provided some leeway to enter the next round. I would suggest that they put in an offer for one of the boat 1's from the existing teams. Crew work is important.

6. World Series. I would like to see a regatta in the UK, Italy and NY (yes Am Magic will be back) in 2022/3 with maybe support races with smaller foilers (junior class). Seeing these boats race with your own eyes will increase interest from all and gain sponsors some exposure in the in-between years. If other countries or cities (Abu Dhabi, Saudi, Spain.... are willing to front with a hosting fee it would be good to have other regatta's at these places.

7. The New Zealand Government need to front with some cash otherwise they will lose the ability to host some of these events and NZ will increasingly lose many of the benefits of being the holders of the cup.

 

 

1. For what it's worth

2. We know it means nothing and the design everything.

3. These boats, contrarily to multis, just can't sail fast in waves and they will break their wide hulls, they need excellent weather conditions or a very different rule.

4. Given advantage, more than ever

5. Teams for the only intestest of getting money from and make up the numbers

6. Shopping the venues

7. Usual GD pressure tactics.

The Deed has been more twisted than ever, time for BOFD ?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gissie said:

Pity NO can't sail unless Aus gets a team.

A total injustice. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if Larry is having the folks at Latham and Watkins look over what’s gone on with the whole COR thing.  Nothing looks untoward but I wouldn’t put it past him.  Sickening feeling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Barnyb

Forget about any World Series happening anytime soon.

It is not doable with ever changing Travel Restrictions & different Quarantine Rules + Safety Measures because of COVID19 which is probably the reason why they have so many "Options" regarding the Venue. They need to find a safe spot first before thinking about holding a Regatta there.

To those people here on SA who live in either NZL or AUS you are incredibly fortunate be able to live a sort of normal life.

I am not even sure SailGP will have a full Season 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd concede on the proposed Nationality Rule, if ETNZ/RNZYS agree to a Defender series before AC38 (assuming they're still the Cup holders).

That way, the NZL/AUS talent pool could be fully tapped, if their is appetite for further 'investment/interest' here.

Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eurochild said:

Question: what's the sea state around the Isle of Wight? Could these things hack it in any weather?

 

Completely variable. You’d need to pick your weather window to be off St Catherine’s Head in an AC75. Can be pretty lumpy and that isn’t so unusual, even in summer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, amc said:

Exactly all he says is that it is on the cards, i.e. an option. 
 

Edit: I think he is ramping up pressure on the Government and Auckland Council. 

Or, the next " cup" is a race around wight, the ac38 is a multi challenge in Auckland in 4 years as "normal". So 37 is just a quick fund raiser/interim event.

Maybe should be called 36.5.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, barfy said:

Or, the next " cup" is a race around wight, the ac38 is a multi challenge in Auckland in 4 years as "normal". So 37 is just a quick fund raiser/interim event.

Maybe should be called 36.5.

This would be shopping both the venue and the Cup. ETNZ will probably lose. And GD wants to play the challenger game in home waters, to have that advantage as well, and more visibility with more races. Sorry Kiwi friends, but if true I wish this will backfire in the most spectacular way, with a Match where GD would be spectator.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, barfy said:

Or, the next " cup" is a race around wight, the ac38 is a multi challenge in Auckland in 4 years as "normal". So 37 is just a quick fund raiser/interim event.

Maybe should be called 36.5.

But it wouldn't really be four years. They may have it written in the protocol that it will use the same boats, but that is not enforceable. So why would you spend millions developing a boat that may not be needed. Just hoping Dalts or Rads keep their word.

Yeah right.

It is a dumb idea at best. Dalts deserves a kick in the nuts for even suggesting it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, strider470 said:

This would be shopping both the venue and the Cup. ETNZ will probably lose. And GD wants to play the challenger game in home waters, to have that advantage as well, and more visibility with more races. Sorry Kiwi friends, but if true I wish this will backfire in the most spectacular way, with a Match where GD would be spectator.

If this is true GD wants his cake and eat it too, greedy cunt.

If you win the cup, you are lord and master for exactly 1 cup cycle. If you want to be lord and master for another cup cycle, win the fucking thing again.

This basically says we won It once but want to be lord and master for 2 cycles.

Very Bertarelli-esque if you ask me.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Ratcliffe doesn't seem to be very pleased with all the crap coming out of the NZ Press kind of says 'Let us do our job'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also for the Brits, they could be remembered as the only ever team that bought the America's Cup. I'm sure that for them winning the Cup after almost 200 years will be a legendary moment, that deserves a fair victory without shortcuts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Also for the Brits, they could be remembered as the only ever team that bought the America's Cup. I'm sure that for them winning the Cup after almost 200 years will be a legendary moment, that deserves a fair victory without shortcuts.

Or is Ratcliffe buying broke Dalton ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Depends who Guillaume Verdier is working for.

Not really, Prada came fucking close this time despite having to largely build the team from scratch.

I don't think I was the only one expecting Etnz to cruise home. I think they expected it too, but they almost didn't win it.

If these rumours are true, it's a shame they did win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Also for the Brits, they could be remembered as the only ever team that bought the America's Cup. I'm sure that for them winning the Cup after almost 200 years will be a legendary moment, that deserves a fair victory without shortcuts.

People like that are so utterly disconnected from the real world that they wouldn't see it that way.

Bertarelli is on record saying how proud he is having built that team. LOL!

Never underestimate people's ability to shield themselves from harmful truths. I have no doubt that buffoon believes that shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites