Best iPhone/iPad App for starts

Not sure this is the right forum, but here it goes.

I am an accomplished sailor just getting into racing and looking to improve my starts.   Has anyone found a good app that can let you mark the two sides of the line, and calculate your ETA at the line? Connecting to the NMEA0183 data via WiFi would be great.

Yes one can use a stopwatch to count down to the start, or spend $2-3,000 on a new MFD with the ability to countdown and calculate ETA at the start line.   But if I can get it in a $10 app...

thanks

2 hours ago, Snore said:

Not sure this is the right forum, but here it goes.

I am an accomplished sailor just getting into racing and looking to improve my starts.   Has anyone found a good app that can let you mark the two sides of the line, and calculate your ETA at the line? Connecting to the NMEA0183 data via WiFi would be great.

Yes one can use a stopwatch to count down to the start, or spend $2-3,000 on a new MFD with the ability to countdown and calculate ETA at the start line.   But if I can get it in a $10 app...

thanks

I haven't found a good app to do that yet, but Velocitek ProStart does most that without wifi or NMEA. Distance to Line, and Countdown. Just no Time to Target if you were.  $895.  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, trimfast said:

I haven't found a good app to do that yet, but Velocitek ProStart does most that without wifi or NMEA. Distance to Line, and Countdown. Just no Time to Target if you were.  $895.  

Thanks- I pondered that or the Tacktik (sp?) and then pondered the Ray Axiom with Lighthouse that will perform many of the same functions for less (same with separate keyboard).  

Or the  7" Zeus3 for a few hundred more.  

Seems it would be a fairly simple APP to write....

16 minutes ago, Snore said:

Thanks- I pondered that or the Tacktik (sp?) and then pondered the Ray Axiom with Lighthouse that will perform many of the same functions for less (same with separate keyboard).  

Or the  7" Zeus3 for a few hundred more.  

Seems it would be a fairly simple APP to write....

I would imagine it exists from the AC campaigns.

We tried out our Vakaros Atlas for the first time this weekend and we enjoyed becoming part of the parade of boats pinging each end of the starting line.  It worked great for us.  

• Like 1

iregatta, vakaros and racemaster all work well. get an extra batterypack in your see through waterproof pouch. Velcro on the back of the pouch and instant electronics. Sailmon used to have a very good app. but they decided at one point that it should work with their hardware instead of stand alone

Thanks for all the inputs.    Will start playing with some.

Hopefully I can get a decent start 

I Use Race starter on the iPad all the time. Very successful and easy to use. Just make sure your iPad is one of the models with a GPS included.

RTT

Race Starter.jpg

Played with a few apps in the park and decided to use iRegatta.  RumTum's Sailboat Race Timer is also a good option.  FWIW I practiced by walking in a park and doing starts.

@Kenny Dumas As someone new to racing, I found not driving gives me better management of the boat.  When it gets "intense" and we are close to boats, or sparing for position heading into the zone, I will take the wheel, other than that I found a solid 'helms person' to drive.   But that may change when the driver goes north for the summer.