If you want to look at why Nz is successful at this. Look @ other engineering successor's. John Britten v10000 motorcycle, Bruce McLaren can- am sports cars, Hamilton jet river boats and of course Richard Pierce, arguably, the first aviator and fly machine. All of these guys are backyard builders, not afraid to try something out of the box to get ahead.

"frigging in the rigging because there's fuck all else to do" becomes "sailing in the cup because there's fuck all else to do"  NZ is the most parochial backwater, we have a HUGE inferiority complex papered over with sporting achievements

9 minutes ago, Caecilian said:

"frigging in the rigging because there's fuck all else to do" becomes "sailing in the cup because there's fuck all else to do"  NZ is the most parochial backwater, we have a HUGE inferiority complex papered over with sporting achievements

and as mentioned earlier, no such word as....... ASSUM BUMCHA

1 hour ago, Caecilian said:

"frigging in the rigging because there's fuck all else to do" becomes "sailing in the cup because there's fuck all else to do"  NZ is the most parochial backwater, we have a HUGE inferiority complex papered over with sporting achievements in sports nobody else participates in.

On 3/18/2021 at 6:34 PM, AVALANINIA said:

NZ.....should make a strict nationality rule.....no one would ever beat them

We get our British designer then?

I think Simon hit the nail on the head in that it's as much about the institutional knowledge of ETNZ the team as it is something inherent about New Zealand or its population. The only time the team really faltered seriously is when somebody was able to hire away a giant chunk of that institutional knowledge.

I would say that the willingness of the NZ government to provide bridge and seed money to ETNZ is also a big factor. If they were operating exclusively on the whim of a billionaire or corporate sponsorship, the team would have gone under multiple times already. The money is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but the fact that it's there for the team at the critical stage when they would otherwise risk losing major talent is a big deal.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:34 PM, SimonN said:

Credit to the team. They have something and that something helps them win. However, it is not just an NZ thing. Look at how over the years key people in the team haven't been New Zealanders. 

I see a number of contributing factors. The biggest is that they are a team that has effectively been a team for far longer than any other currently competing, although you could argue that another long lived team, Oracle, was just as successful, maybe proving that longevity is important. Teams that have been together for a long time can develop cultures that include openness and trust. It takes time to develop that. They also have a way of integrate new people into the team - Pete and Blair fitted in well with the support of people like Glenn, who, let's not forget, ran the sailing side. 

I think the reduced budgets that ETNZ had also help, because the sailors needed to have a dual role. With the AC50 a lot is made of the ride height control, but they also had the best wing control and set the rig differently to other teams. That came directly from Glenn. Pete had his input as well as an engineer. You don't see that with other teams where instead of the sailors being directly involved in the design process, there is usually somebody responsible for sailor to designer liaison. 

Much is made of the team being an NZ team, but I think they are actually very good at knowing when they need outsiders in either the design or sailing side (or a mix of both). It is a myth that ETNZ is only full of NZers. I don't believe they will ever bring in a 100% nationality rule or one that says the designers have to be NZers. I don't have an issue with this, but some (mainly NZers) think strict nationality rules are important. It would seriously bite them.

All those things add up, but you could get to the same place with a non NZ team. So why have so few done this in recent times (only, arguably, Oracle). Money. Almost every other team has been at the whim of a VRO and they don't tend to hang around for long enough. The one thing Dalton has managed to achieve is continuity through maintaining enough funding while persuading the team members not to become mercenary and chase bigger bucks.

Now the real trick will be to defend the Cup a second time. That will be super tough, particularly if they stick with this class of boat, because others will know most of the NZ secrets which means teams start from a similar place of knowledge. They will also lose some key personnel and need to integrate new people into those key positions. And some of the teams will have another campaign under their belts and will have learnt a lot and be able to close the gap in the way the team works (some probably won't learn anything, but that is another story!). The next edition will be interesting. 

Good summary.

Combination of a pool of knowledge + good management + good choices + team culture + good talent pool of sailors and unafraid to to make promotions/changes+ sprinkling of good fortune that these things come together at the right time.  The shift to foiling happened at a perfect time for NZ....admittedly they were part of the catalyst for that.

5 hours ago, dullers said:

We get our British designer then?

No way. We've given him the lobotomy and taught him how to shag sheep already. 

Besides with an Italian name I think @strider470would like to make a claim  for him.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, jaysper said:

No way. We've given him the lobotomy and taught him how to shag sheep already. 

Besides with an Italian name I think @strider470would like to make a claim  for him.

I think everyone would want a bit of him. We have sheep in the UK.I think the UK invented sheep.  Italy may not have enough sheep to entice him over.

12 minutes ago, dullers said:

I think everyone would want a bit of him. We have sheep in the UK.I think the UK invented sheep.  Italy may not have enough sheep to entice him over.

If that is so, Bernasconi could easily be from Sardegna! :D

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, strider470 said:

If that is so, Bernasconi could easily be from Sardegna! :D

Cut to the chase......how many sheep are you offering?

• Like 1
On 3/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, marlowe said:

NZ has the 9th longest coastline of any country. So plenty of access for sailing.

(Canada has by far the longest coastline, nearly two thirds of the world's total, but a lot of it is ice!)

It is also great sailing there. I spent a year in my boat doing the top of the south Island and the North Island. Also had great engineering firms for boat work. if you cant get your boat fixed in the Solent or NZ you cant get it fixed anywhere. In regards to this thread it is really for fan boys. It is of interest to see how much smoke they can blow up their own arses. I might start a thread on why the Brits are so dominant at Olympic Sailing. Is it the culture etc blah blah is in the DNA blah blah......