Xtreme 26 - Never seen one of these before

Dropped off my Melges 24 in Charleston on Sunday after the Bacardi Miami event and much to my surprise, besides my friend's Farr 30 which was nearby, across the aisle is this thing.  I've never heard of an Xtreme 26 before.  The HIN on this boat says that it's a 2016 which is hard to believe considering how it looks.  Looks like a really deep keel. Cassette rudder in the floor of the cockpit too.  

Xtreme26.jpg

Raced with it and against it on our little lake.  What a total PITA.  To enter the forepeak you need be a ballerina and about 16yo and 6' tall.  The blades are so narrow they make the Melges appendages look like J24.  Ergonomics?  WTF is that?  This is one model that deserves to die a slow death on a rusty trailer near sail-water.  PS.  the owner sold his for a FE28 and never looked back.

13 minutes ago, Senator Seditious Maximus said:

Raced with it and against it on our little lake.  What a total PITA.  To enter the forepeak you need be a ballerina and about 16yo and 6' tall.  The blades are so narrow they make the Melges appendages look like J24.  Ergonomics?  WTF is that?  This is one model that deserves to die a slow death on a rusty trailer near sail-water.  PS.  the owner sold his for a FE28 and never looked back.

Wow...okay, so that might explain why this one seems to be wasting away on a trailer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 8:18 AM, pudge said:

There was one for sale here at a decent price for a bit, this one in better days: https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/72779 

I thought about buying the one on here a couple of months ago. Looks super sweet to me, although needed a bigger, carbon stick if i remember. 

Ended up with a winged sportboat, but for the right price (and a bunch of mods? these little guys don't seem terrible. 

• 3 weeks later...

I own one, bought it a couple years back for a really good price. It's a very fast and stable boat that planes in most conditions. Forepeak can be difficult to get to, but we remedied that by removing the lowest set of stays which are pretty redundant unless you're sailing in 30+ knot winds without reefing, which is not typical for us. Foils are very high aspect, but perform well if you know how to sail the boat properly. If you can keep the speed up the boat treats you well. An advantage of the boat is the ability to use both symmetrical and assymmetrical spinnakers which makes us more versatile than the assym boats downhill. 

• Like 1