I was shocked to see that Sabine Schmitz had died of cancer at 51. She just had such a joie de vivre (or whatever the German equivalent would be. First video is her driving seriously in a race at the Nurburgring in a top Porsche. Second video is from Top Gear of her driving the ring in a Ford Transit van. The van lap was only about 1:20 slower.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/auto-racing/2021/03/17/sabine-schmitz-pioneering-german-race-driver-dies-at-51.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzdL1JaEKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

• Like 4

Sad news.  IIRC, she was in the running for "the Stig" about the time that her diagnosis occurred and quietly disappeared about 2 years ago.  There are some rare cancers that are somewhat responsive top treatment but very hard to knock out completely.  Those tend to come back hard when they do.  

• Like 1

40 cars passed, 23 by the first time to the stands, and almost caught the two front runners who had no traffic to weave through.

Such sad news. I always loved her appearances on Top Gear. She was so fun, despite how serious she was about her driving, and so skilled.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bacchus66 said:

40 cars passed, 23 by the first time to the stands, and almost caught the two front runners who had no traffic to weave through.

Such sad news. I always loved her appearances on Top Gear. She was so fun, despite how serious she was about her driving, and so skilled.

First lap of a 24 hour race? Took her a while to creep up to the top two once she cleared the others but catch them she was.

• Like 1

A  life  lived well.

My daughter inherited much of my love for German cars and driving, A strong athletic blonde lady, I sent her to a couple of Skip Barber schools at Lime Rock and she feels very confident and capable behind the wheel. Also sent her Sabine  Schmitz's vids not just to view the driving but appreciate the seemingly constant joyous spirit Schmitz put forth. Couldn't be a better role model.

Vielen Dank Frau Schmitz

• Like 2

Not only a role model for women, but for all of us.

One of those people who LOVES their job.  It oozes out of their pores.

A sad loss to a terrible disease.

fuck. She was something else.... very sad news. movement afoot to name a corner of the ring after her. 

that episode of TG with her driving a van around is still an all time fave. 

5 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

fuck. She was something else.... very sad news. movement afoot to name a corner of the ring after her. 

that episode of TG with her driving a van around is still an all time fave. 

Any place we can go to endorse that naming?  Perfectly appropriate and well earned memorial. 

13 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Any place we can go to endorse that naming?  Perfectly appropriate and well earned memorial. 

linky for petition to name a corner

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 8:09 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

She just had such a joie de vivre (or whatever the German equivalent would be)

There is no German equivalent for joie de vivre.:P

• Downvote 1