Jump to content

Best Live Shows You Ever Went To


Recommended Posts

allman brothers band as a warm up for spirit at miami jai alia

best and worst show in one nite

allman's were great

spirit sucked were boo ed and the crowd chanted bring back the bro's

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about best, but this was interesting.

Sarah McLachlan at the Ontario Place Forum the same night the Rolling Stones were playing Exhibition Stadium.

Both outdoors, a quarter mile apart.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Squeeze, The Who, The Kinks, Warren Zevon, INXS, CSN, Frank Zappa (Even though I don't remember half of it from Ambient pot smoke inhalation), Joan Jett, The Subdudes, The Eagles/Heart/Little River Band/The Cars, Little Village..... There really are too many to remember at this point.... Ah! I forgot.... THE BAND. That one was spectacular!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, and Lyle Lovett..... Like I said. These guys are so good..... It's just............ It really is awe inspiring.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Standouts:

Kansas at their very peak. Beyond amazing. Absolutely perfect. (saw em a few times, but there was a single amazing standout performance)

Diana Krall 

Rush

Buddy Rich

Spock's Beard

Shoulda Stayed Home:

Van Halen - early 80's after much success. Was phoned in. Badly. Few years before they were decent. 

Journey

Link to post
Share on other sites

worst is easier , happened to be in NQ same time as Elton was there on his farewell tour , opening of a new stadium and sound was abysmal .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god. Been to hundreds of shows. Hard to choose really.
Seen The Good Ol' Grateful Dead over 100 times alone..... Barton Hall May 1977. They were on that night and it is considered their finest performance.
Grateful Dead Englishtown also 1977. It certainly was also one of their top performances. Hell all of '77 proved them to be "the band beyond description"

Allman Bros. at The Beacon. John Belushi as Jolliet Jake doing cartwheels on the stage. I wanna say both Dickie Betts and Jimmy Herring were on stage  but I could be wrong.

Jefferson Airplane at The Jones Beach Theater. Amazing.

The Band at I wanna say Fairly Dickenson University, outdoors. Bonnie Raitt opened, she was joined by most of The Band to end her set and she joined The Band for the last third of their show. Rag Momma Rag!

The Neville Bros, Academy of Music on 14th st NYC. Wow, just wow.

The Neville's. Radiators and Doctor John, River Walk New Orleans. Something about Mardi Gras and home town music.

Ringo Star and the Allstars. Some dive bar on Long Island. Tiny place but can't remember the name of the joint. It was not a venue you would expect to see Ringo in. Maybe 200 people. Allstars was Joe Walsh, Billy Preston, Clarence Clemons, Nils Lofgren, Doctor John (who also opened), Rick Danko and Levon Helm. Talk about being floored by the vast talent on stage. Beyond belief and in retrospect likely the best show I ever saw.

Jorma Kaukonen, Commack Rink, Commack Long Island. In a radio interview Jorma said someone spiked his Heineken with a bit of a dose. IIRC it was an WLIR radio show and Jorma played from when the sun went down until the sun came back up..... Not one person there that evening didn't come away understanding just how good an acoustic guitar player Jorma is.

This is gonna sound odd but Blue Oyster Cult in The Nassau Coliseum. Patty Smith opened and the bass player was a guy who had contractual issues with his record label. He didn't say a damn thing the whole night except to thank everyone for putting up with his playing...... Bruce Springsteen.

Iron Butterfly in a dive bar on Long Island. They were very impressive. Bar was half empty.

Grateful Dead, Folsom's Field 15th Anniversary Shows, Day Two. Watching TV that evening Eyewitness News did a piece on the shows. Reporter was outside in downtown Denver....like on West Colfax Ave. The Dead were playing up in Boulder.... so 25 miles away. During the report you could clearly hear Sugar Magnolia playing in the background.

David Bowie, outside, somewhere in New Jersey I wanna say. Peter Frampton was in the band. Bowie fired him like the next day! It was a real good show.

I'm sure if I pondered this a bit more some other outstanding show would come to mind.........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Seen The Good Ol' Grateful Dead over 100 times alone

please tell me you work at the gigs ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mid said:

please tell me you work at the gigs ?

LOL. They were at their peak. You went to every damn show you could cop a ticket to.... and some you couldn't.
And the tickets were like $7.50 General Admission. Best deal in rock and roll.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Grizz said:

Man- hard to pick! Hendrix and Cream at the Hunter College Auditorium (separate shows) in '68 stand out.

Man................ You are a grizzled old fart! ;):D

 I think the first concert I really saw/went to was ELP at Yale Bowl in 75....76. It was pretty good, but the crowd sucked. Lots of very sexy hippy chicks, none of whom even knew I existed. The 20 year old guys were getting blown, and fucked in the bleachers, and I was completely ignored.... Maybe why I started listening to ELP only on headphones.... I didn't want anyone else to have to share my pain. That and the stereo on the headphones, with a couple of tokes on good Jamaican weed was pretty intense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

Man................ You are a grizzled old fart! ;):D

In fairness, I was 14. School nights, so couldn't catch the late sets!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Man................ You are a grizzled old fart! ;):D

 I think the first concert I really saw/went to was ELP at Yale Bowl in 75....76. It was pretty good, but the crowd sucked. Lots of very sexy hippy chicks, none of whom even knew I existed. The 20 year old guys were getting blown, and fucked in the bleachers, and I was completely ignored.... Maybe why I started listening to ELP only on headphones.... I didn't want anyone else to have to share my pain. That and the stereo on the headphones, with a couple of tokes on good Jamaican weed was pretty intense.

Thanks for the memory jog....

Emerson Lake and Palmer, Fanfare for the Common Man Tour with full orchestra was a great show.
YES from the same era was beyond belief.
Volunteer Jam, the year Lynard Skynard crashed...... wild evening. Highlight was Charlie Daniels with Papa John Creach and Vassar Clemons all playing fiddle on Orange Blossom Special. Amazing just amazing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Grizz said:

In fairness, I was 14. School nights, so couldn't catch the late sets!

Still a grizzled old fart! I turn 60 in a week or so. At age 18 I never thought I'd see 30. I truly enjoyed my 20s, my 30s, and most of my 40s. It's been hit and miss ever since, but I still enjoy life, even though it hurts more.... But damn, I wish there was more good music.... All this voice/pitch manipulation sound really bugs me.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Thanks for the memory jog....

Emerson Lake and Palmer, Fanfare for the Common Man Tour with full orchestra was a great show.
YES from the same era was beyond belief.
Volunteer Jam, the year Lynard Skynard crashed...... wild evening. Highlight was Charlie Daniels with Papa John Creach and Vassar Clemons all playing fiddle on Orange Blossom Special. Amazing just amazing.

Vassar Clements on fiddle, or Mandolin?

 I know he was known for his fiddle playing, but he was also an amazing mandolin player.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagles, Tina Turner, Steely Dan at Irvine Bowl, always ended up with seats generally about 10 rows back, in the center. I miss that place.

CSN, exact middle of the 1st row. I had six tickets, brought a friend and his smoking hot girl friend. Even in the mid nineties, those three guys were basically playing to my friends gf all night long. It was hysterical to watch them play rock star to the hilt for a chick.

I’ve seen plenty of stadium shows, ELP, Doobies, Stones, Yes and too many others to recall, all of them at their peak, but nothing compares to Pink Floyd at the Rose Bowl in ‘94. That was epic. A massive production.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to recall a lot of shows I saw, back in the day.

Best show in recent years - March 28, 2012 - Van Halen and Kool & The Gang in DC.

Kool & The Gang came ready to play.  And, play they did.  Terrific stuff.  Of course, it's a whole new "Gang", with Kool being the only original member.  Later found out they formed in 1964.  Think about that.

Van Halen?  The music was terrific.  I mean, Eddie.  DLR sucked.  Fucking around on stage.  Forgetting the lyrics to his own song.  Then, joking about it.  Didn't go over well for a crowd who'd dropped $100+ per ticket.  I'd seen Van Hagar, and that was much better.  But, my son can say he saw Eddie tear it up, live.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Vassar Clements on fiddle, or Mandolin?

 I know he was known for his fiddle playing, but he was also an amazing mandolin player.

Fiddle. They were each taking turns impressing one another. They all seemed genuinely blown away at one another's chops.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

Eagles, Tina Turner, Steely Dan at Irvine Bowl, always ended up with seats generally about 10 rows back, in the center. I miss that place.

CSN, exact middle of the 1st row. I had six tickets, brought a friend and his smoking hot girl friend. Even in the mid nineties, those three guys were basically playing to my friends gf all night long. It was hysterical to watch them play rock star to the hilt for a chick.

I’ve seen plenty of stadium shows, ELP, Doobies, Stones, Yes and too many others to recall, all of them at their peak, but nothing compares to Pink Floyd at the Rose Bowl in ‘94. That was epic. A massive production.

Seen Pink Floyd a number of times. I wanna say the best was touring Wish You Were Here. Animals was really good or at least they were playing very passionately..... in anger! Wall we saw every night they played at Nassau Coliseum. I wanna say the second night the backing track tape machine malfunctioned. It became rather apparent when The Wall was up that the band were NOT playing live. Gilmore was doing his solo bit, tape stops.... Gilmore has a look of panic in his eyes and then kicked it into overdrive while the guys at the soundboard, flashlights blazing, tried to sort out the issue. Very funny, but also not very funny.

Years back saw The Stones....errrr, RFK Stadium in Philly. The closed with Satisfaction. Good show. Mid-afternoon and my then GF says, "Aren't The Dead playing in PA somewhere? Off to Lehigh Valley we go, score some tickets and then The Dead closed with Satisfaction. Also a good show.... but man I was tired when we finally got back home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tax Man said:

I don't know about best, but this was interesting.

Sarah McLachlan at the Ontario Place Forum the same night the Rolling Stones were playing Exhibition Stadium.

Both outdoors, a quarter mile apart.

Bruce Cockburn at the Ontario Place Forum

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Best: CSNY, Doobies, Heart

Worst: Kings Of Leon. Santana and Phish outdoors in the mud and Santana was in one of his stranger phases I think. The Who in the Silverdome - just too damn loud.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Worst? Whitney Houston at Shoreline in late 80's/early 90's. $100-ish tickets and after 3 songs 'apologized' for having to cancel the concert because her throat hurt. Bill Graham got paid. Whitney Houston Got paid. Oh yeah, Bill Graham got paid, and, wait for it... Whitney Houston probably got paid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Reggae Sunsplash, Bob Marley Park, Montego Bay.1987... 5 nights in a row shows started at dusk and the top acts came on at sunrise. Steel Pulse, Third World, Black Uhuru, Dennis Brown, Jacob Miller, Sly and Robbie, Bunny Wailer, Rita Marley and the I Threes, Ziggy Marley's first year touring, Yellowman stole one of the nights er...mornings rather...

2. Im gonna go with Page/Plant with Jason Bonham on drums. 10 person symphonic orchestra and another 10 person middle eastern orchestra. 4th row. Got em on a trade for Leafs tickets.

3. A couple of Lollapalooza shows. First one had Pearl Jam, SoundGarden, Ministry close it..The Chilis were left to pick up the pieces. One year I had all access. Various bands of note...George Clinton, The Breeders, Elastica, Beck, Courtney Love, The Beastie Boys stole that one...Nine Inch Nails on a B stage for one of them...SharkbaitCrushfest stole one of the B stage shows...

4. Stevie Ray Vaughn. 3 different occasions. Was young enough to sneak into the first two, had to pay for the third.

5. Pink Floyd Momentary Laps of Reason Tour.(yeah yeah) Two shows. 1st and 6th rows.

6. Rage Against The Machine. 3 different shows. Best band of their era. 

7. Gov't Mule. 4 shows. One super small venue. Was standing side stage. Some dude with seriously long hair was sitting on speaker case beside me. Didn't recognize him until he got up and joined the band half way through the show...the dude was Big Sugar...hadn't seen him since he wore suits and a hollow body guitar.

8.Jerry Garcia Band. Buffalo Auditorium. Scored 4th row seats for 40 bucks at bell time.

9. B.B. King. Got to shake his hand.

10. Son Seals. Twice. Got to meet the man himself.

11. Mel Brown. Became friends with him. (he played for James Brown among others).

12. James Brown. Took the boat over to Ontario Place for the show and after party.

13 Further Festival. Same venue. Took the boat over. The Black Crowes stole it.

14 J.J. Cale. Two shows. Montreal. 

15. Bootsauce. Rialto Theatre. Montreal.

16. Fishbone. Commodore Ballroom. Vancouver. 

17. Eek a Mouse. Wetlands Coliseum(its actually a smallish club). N.Y.C.

18. Prodigy. All access. Montreal.

19. Santana. 12th row 20 buck tickets at bell time.

20. Van Morrison's No Method No Guru No Teacher tour...it was at the perfect venue(the old Forum at Ontario Place), on a perfect night, with a special someone.

21. Paul McCartney. Montreal. All Access. Tested that out to see if it included the Montreal Canadians bench. Apparently it didn't.

Ok that's tip of the iceberg and with the exception of the top spot(so far) the rankings are pretty loose. These shows all have either a great performance or a great story attached to them, but most likely both. So many more great shows...I guess I gotta cap it there...

...o.k.fuck it...recently The Black Angels wins best show...also saw the Tedeschi Trucks set up that D'Ranger mentioned...saw them on a double bill with Willie Nelson

...damn, I guess I'll have to throw in that free concert in Central Park that Paul Simon put on. I was one of something like 700,000 in attendance...that was somethin else...

...now I'm unofficially done...for now...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cab Callaway give me a private concert when I was working in a small luxury hotel in San Francisco. He wanted to give me tickets to his show but I was working that night. He called me up to his room and did a melody of his favorite songs for just me.  When I told my freind Marty Balens (Jefferson Airplane/Starship) whom I would work as a personal rodie cried when I told him what he had done. For a brief moment I knew what the greatest showman from the Cotton Club was all about.

Callaway was one of the nicest and most talented persons I ever met. I have met and know many.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

June 1972. Hollywood Bowl. First Grateful Dead concert. New Riders opened. Pigpen’s last show. First acid trip. Brown window pane.  

What a long strange trip it’s been. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As with others there are many.

Billy Joel at Yankee Stadium in the 80's.

Peter Frampton

Dee Dee Bridgewater

Many "unknowns" I have forgotten (shame on me)

Some of the best I've seen have been at Dizzy's at Lincoln Center Jazz at Columbus Circle. When I'm sober, I'll remember the young lady's name.  She looked like she was 18 and she blew the audience away.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mid said:

too many to choose .

at this age, yer not kiddin.. truly a case of "I may be old, but got to see all the really cool bands."

Alice Cooper at a roller rink in Alexandria VA in like '72, Janis with Big brother same venue, couple years before.. 

Allmans and Dead at RFK Stadium in like 1871... 

a whole lotta outdoor stuff at Lake Alice field in Gainesville FL in the 70s.. 10 Years After: epic. 

way too many Crosby Stills and Nash (young) shows.. but the best ever was in Glasgow in 2015. most complete sets, and Stills guitar was absofuckinglutely on fire that night. 

The Who at Red Rocks. way too much acid. 

ELP at an arena ouside DC was phenomenal

Clapton and Winwood at DC convention center 2008? 

Frank Zappa at an outdoor park in MD somewhere right on the bay. 

Leon Russel, Pure Prairie League, Marshall Tucker Band was wonderful live. 

Mountain, Cream a couple times at different places. 

Jeff Beck a bunch, 

Just a rough sampling.. probably 10-15 shows a year starting in about '67-68.

 

a name from above that I'll 2nd is Diana Krall.. Wolftrap a few years ago... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Vassar Clemons on fiddle, or Mandolin?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aw hell..... I forgot... I saw Phish (Before they became Phish) at a pizza joint in Burlington, Vt. in 1982-83... Didn't even pay the cover charge because my friends and I went in to eat a pizza just before the door man showed up. It was pretty good show. We hung around and drank a few pitchers of beer. The door man came up and said that if we were going to stay, we'd have to pay the cover charge.

 We got up to leave, and the singer, a guy they called "Trey", told the door man to leave us alone, and bought us another pitcher of beer.

 It wasn't a great show, but it was a lot of fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

top two...

Eric Clapton with guest guitarist Mark Knophler for the 25th anniversary of 'crossroads' in Toronto at maple leaf gardens. Was amazing.

The Tragically Hip in Kingston at fort Henry. very very very early in their career. Marched from RMC to Fort Henry in full uniform to watch them. didn't appreciate what i was seeing at the time. still had a great time.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Springsteen without a doubt, never seen a musician put so much effort and passion into a 3 hour performance.

The Feelers and Herbs/Dave Dobbin in NZ were also good.

Never got to see Bowie but wished I did.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Springsteen without a doubt, never seen a musician put some much effort and passion into a 3 hour performance.

Exactly!  

The man's passion is incredible and his connection with the audience is unbelievable.  He sings every song like he is singing it just for you.  And almost everybody in the place thinks he's singing it to them.  That's part of his magic.  When I saw him in Berlin, he took one of the signs that his folks collected  from the audience during the show.  He read it, then he looked over the crowd and he said "Where's Bob and Susie?"  A couple in the center area started waving their hands.  He was laughing and smiling and said "Hey, hey, so this is your favorite song? OK, I'm gonna sing it for you, happy anniversary!"  I turned to my wife and I said, "Can you imagine how that couple feels right now? That's why his fans love Bruce." 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Al Paca said:

First acid trip. Brown window pane.

That explains a lot.  You weren't supposed to take the brown acid!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock Werchter festival in Belgium in the early 80'ies - particularly special memories of U2 in the very early days of their career absolutely electrifying the field at 3 in the afternoon

Yeah I'm a bit younger than many round here!

Still managed to catch great memories of Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and Neil Young, all in Prague in the mid 90'ies

 

rock-torhout-rock-werchter-1982-59ce3057d6cbb.jpg

rock-torhout-rock-werchter-1983-59ce307452ca1.jpg

rock-torhout-rock-werchter-1984-59ce30877c013.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Cab Callaway give me a private concert when I was working in a small luxury hotel in San Francisco. He wanted to give me tickets to his show but I was working that night. He called me up to his room and did a melody of his favorite songs for just me.  When I told my freind Marty Balens (Jefferson Airplane/Starship) whom I would work as a personal rodie cried when I told him what he had done. For a brief moment I knew what the greatest showman from the Cotton Club was all about.

Callaway was one of the nicest and most talented persons I ever met. I have met and know many.

 

Cool story.  Though, Marty Balin would be disappointed his friend doesn't know how to spell his name.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Cool story.  Though, Marty Balin would be disappointed his friend doesn't know how to spell his name.

I don't think Marty would care....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best

1969- Jefferson Airplane with Grace, Neil Young with Crazy Horse in a tiny venue.

Less Ancient- Peter Gabriel, U2

More Recent- RichardThompson/Shawn Colvin at Levon Helm Studio in Woodstock NY

Worst- Accompanied my then 15 year  old daughter to Mariah Carey concert at Madison Square Garden.Surrounded by gum chewing, cake makeuped, leather jacket wearing Long Island housewives that spent the entire time loudly yacking with one another. I  hope I earned some good dad points somewhere that evening.

Guess I should lie and say I went to Woodstock like half the people who say they went do.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn! I must be getting old.... Talking Heads in Springfield, Ma. second night of the "Stop making sense!" tour.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was never a concert buff. Only been to a dozen or so big name concerts. So the best was probably Billy Joel in the late 80s. 
I went to a lot of small venue (bars) with local bands. Sometimes you get a surprise. My favorite of those was watching the Detroit Blues band featuring Jimmy McCarty. They played a small bar and there was maybe 20 people in the place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Hard to believe nobody has mentioned Husker Du yet  

 

 

 

Well........ not really. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, basketcase said:

top two...

Eric Clapton with guest guitarist Mark Knophler for the 25th anniversary of 'crossroads' in Toronto at maple leaf gardens. Was amazing.

The Tragically Hip in Kingston at fort Henry. very very very early in their career. Marched from RMC to Fort Henry in full uniform to watch them. didn't appreciate what i was seeing at the time. still had a great time.

 

saw the Hip live twice, BOTH times at Louis on the Uof S campus in 1988.  their first cross country tour and they were supporting their EP The Tragically Hip.  That record was way more garagy and jangly than the their first full length release a year later.  they were great even then and seeing downie just fucking blew me away as a frontman on that little stage in that little club

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, basketcase said:

 

The Tragically Hip in Kingston at fort Henry. very very very early in their career. Marched from RMC to Fort Henry in full uniform to watch them. didn't appreciate what i was seeing at the time. still had a great time.

 

Alfie's pub before that

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lowly Crew said:

Alfie's pub before that

I see that Alphies was Louies of Queens!  Or Louies is the Alphies of the UofS...:P.  I also note that Gord SINCLAIR get's the most writing credits on the EP

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, chester said:

I see that Alphies was Louies of Queens!  Or Louies is the Alphies of the UofS...:P.  I also note that Gord SINCLAIR get's the most writing credits on the EP

Queen's '85  '86 '87

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Cool story.  Though, Marty Balin would be disappointed his friend doesn't know how to spell his name.

Dislexics with default spell checkers have enough self hate. Balin, Ray Manzarek and Allen Ginsberg at Cafe Trieste said i should become a filmmaker rather than a writer. Imagine the heart break i would have had if gone the other way.  Those Balin private concerts with Sal Valentino were pretty cool too. 

My brother was best friends with and used to help manage Chris Cornell, Soundgarden. Those personal and private jam sessions with visiting artists were epic. Chris would drive over in his pickup truck to West Seattle, famous musicans and other folks would pop out and they would play classic songs, folk, hits, show tunes all day long.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was this time in El Paso aftera rugby game, we all went to Juarez and .......

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Damn! I must be getting old.... Talking Heads in Springfield, Ma. second night of the "Stop making sense!" tour.

The soundtrack remains in heavy rotation on my playlists.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Warped Tour in 1999 on Randall's Island,

Pogues in 1997 or so, promoter says Shane didn't show up, but then Joe Strummer takes over for Shane. Clash long after the Clash was long gone, Spider and the boys stood in for Mick Jones and Paul Simonon.

Shane McGowan and the Popes in 2000, bouncer sends my pregnant wife up to the VIP to stay away from the violence. After it was over, Shane invited us back stage, told us about his son, gave the pregnant belly a little blessing, named our first daughter after his grandmother.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Floyd's Division Bell tour at the Rose Bowl. Incredible, awesome arena show, by a band at its dysfunctional prime. At least what I remember. 

A light wind was blowing from the stage over the crowd on the field, right in our faces 10 rows up, show center, end zone. With all the shiite being smoked on the field, I was glad the next day wasn't the date for my drug test. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

J Geils Band 

Peter Wolf owned that stage.  Hell of a set list.  It was the tour before they started moving away from R&B to synthesizer driven pop.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Grateful Dead, saw them about a dozen times and one show I remember as somewhat less than stellar (they did have "off" nights) but their music was fantastic

Jethro Tull, Heavy Horses 1978 and Under Wraps 1991

The Tubes, 1979

Emmylou Harris, every show I've been to (about a dozen between 1980 and 2000)

Peter Rowan and Tony Rice, 1994

Mostly go to local bands, some of which are very good... except for the past year, everybody is looking forward to starting up again

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the Beatles in Toronto in 1964 (I must be very old). Was an event rather than a concert. They played the first chord of a song and that was the last you heard of it with all the screaming. Someone mentioned Old Fort Henry in Kingston, saw the 1812 Overture played by the local symphony orchestra. Used the fort's cannons and the bells from the churches a mile or so away. They sequenced the bells to allow for the time delay.

Best concerts I can remember, well into this century, Springsteen and Bryan Adams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

The soundtrack remains in heavy rotation on my playlists.

i saw 'the heads' at a small venue in toronto on their 'no talking' tour, and then David Bryne a year later in the same place. i regret not seeing them together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

at this age, yer not kiddin.. truly a case of "I may be old, but got to see all the really cool bands."

Alice Cooper at a roller rink in Alexandria VA in like '72, Janis with Big brother same venue, couple years before.. 

Allmans and Dead at RFK Stadium in like 1871... 

a whole lotta outdoor stuff at Lake Alice field in Gainesville FL in the 70s.. 10 Years After: epic. 

way too many Crosby Stills and Nash (young) shows.. but the best ever was in Glasgow in 2015. most complete sets, and Stills guitar was absofuckinglutely on fire that night. 

The Who at Red Rocks. way too much acid. 

ELP at an arena ouside DC was phenomenal

Clapton and Winwood at DC convention center 2008? 

Frank Zappa at an outdoor park in MD somewhere right on the bay. 

Leon Russel, Pure Prairie League, Marshall Tucker Band was wonderful live. 

Mountain, Cream a couple times at different places. 

Jeff Beck a bunch, 

Just a rough sampling.. probably 10-15 shows a year starting in about '67-68.

 

a name from above that I'll 2nd is Diana Krall.. Wolftrap a few years ago... 

other posts have popped some memory bubbles... Prine was always a very fun show. grateful to have seen him with one of the Cash girls at Strathmore in DC a few years .... 

the other guy that I almost never miss if he's playing within a couple hundred miles is David Bromberg. He seems to be a bit of an acquired taste, but can play anything with strings on it and his bands are always full of very good musicians that nobody ever heard of. He toured for many years starting late 60s early 70 then quit to open up a fine violin shop in Wilmington DE. got back on the road a few years ago. Hope he does some more shows post covid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Saw the Beatles in Toronto in 1964 (I must be very old). Was an event rather than a concert. They played the first chord of a song and that was the last you heard of it with all the screaming. Someone mentioned Old Fort Henry in Kingston, saw the 1812 Overture played by the local symphony orchestra. Used the fort's cannons and the bells from the churches a mile or so away. They sequenced the bells to allow for the time delay.

Best concerts I can remember, well into this century, Springsteen and Bryan Adams.

Oh hell.... Yeah. Paul Simon in Central park in.... 89(?).... We couldn't see the people that could seethe main stage, but were close enough to one of the sub-stages that we could see the African rhythm section. Apparently there was something like a 30 second delay on the sound system so that all the music came out of the speakers in sync. It was amazing... Getting out of mid-town sucked, and we'd parked in Brooklyn, but it was worth it. My g/f and my best friend decided at around 9AM to go to the concert.... We got there around 1PM... Try to buy a 6 pack, cold in mid-town when Paul Simon is playing a free concert in Central Park.... We got one, but it's probably the most expensive 6 pack I ever bought.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or maybe it only gets crazy when she is onstage with Derek Trucks..... I mean love can do that right?

Or maybe, just maybe it is Ms. Tedeschi who drives the bus. Let's ask Bob Dylan, shall we?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was starting to wonder if anyone has seen them - the videos don't begin to do them justice - I was fortunate to see them in a concert hall and was blown away. Derek is the best currently playing, Susan plays a mean blues and sings her ass off. Over the years have seen some great ones, including several before they were famous and nothing topped that. 12 on stage and every one was awesome.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Oh hell.... Yeah. Paul Simon in Central park in.... 89(?).... We couldn't see the people that could seethe main stage, but were close enough to one of the sub-stages that we could see the African rhythm section. Apparently there was something like a 30 second delay on the sound system so that all the music came out of the speakers in sync. It was amazing... Getting out of mid-town sucked, and we'd parked in Brooklyn, but it was worth it. My g/f and my best friend decided at around 9AM to go to the concert.... We got there around 1PM... Try to buy a 6 pack, cold in mid-town when Paul Simon is playing a free concert in Central Park.... We got one, but it's probably the most expensive 6 pack I ever bought.

The Dead did a few legendary shows at the bandshell in Central Park. I was at the '68 show when they played with Jefferson Airplane and Butterfield, and at the '69 show with a bunch of folks I can't remember. Massive sound columns on either side of the bandshell, and refreshments thrown into the crowd from the stage- small round orange ones from a guy I assume in retrospect was Owsley. NYC was a great concert venue in those years- the Fillmore East had every big name band, and was only a subway ride away.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never been to a music concert. Don’t like them, but Le Bourget 2013 definitely stands head and shoulders above the rest. I saw an A380 go vertical. An Su-35S deafen me, Rafale, P-38. Super Constellation. All sorts. It was fucking awesome. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

Prague in the mid 90'ies

Good time to be in Prague.  The city got really expensive in the years following the year 2000.  No more Czech platter and a Czech Bud draft for $5.00.  Still a very cool city though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Le Bourget 2013 definitely stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Well, I'm rather fond of old Cheval Blanc myself.  Oh wait, you are talking about an airshow aren't you.  

 

Old CB.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The first ever Fleetwood Mac concert with Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham. El Paso. Band we'd never heard of opened,Kansas. Couple of nights after my last final of the semester. I had broken my foot tripping over a painted line in a parking lot. We sat in the third row, got the folks in the second row to leave a seat open for my foot.

7 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

There was this time in El Paso aftera rugby game, we all went to Juarez and .......

The El Paso rugby story ends at a live sex show, no donkeys, but a teammate joined the show.  Bouncer plucked him off the girl as he went off (he was the hooker, small guy, ended up exec VP of Conoco), he was drunk to  shit, jacking like a dog helplessly in the air, squirting towards the audience. Did NOT want front row for that.  Funny as fuck. 

Saw everybody, too young for the Beatles, but Dead with Pigpen, Stones with Mick Taylor on lead, etc. Best might have been Hot Tuna acoustic, just Jack and Jorma. Procol Harum with Robin Trower was badass. 

A boarding school buddy's BIL owned the Palace Concert Theater in PVD, so we had free tix and BS passes to everything. His family was mob, he was found murdered a few years later. Wild  days. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

The first ever Fleetwood Mac concert with Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham. El Paso. Band we'd never heard of opened,Kansas. Couple of nights after my last final of the semester. I had broken my foot tripping over a painted line in a parking lot. We sat in the third row, got the folks in the second row to leave a seat open for my foot.

The El Paso rugby story ends at a live sex show, no donkeys, but a teammate joined the show.  Bouncer plucked him off the girl as he went off (he was the hooker, small guy, ended up exec VP of Conoco), he was drunk to  shit, jacking like a dog helplessly in the air, squirting towards the audience. Did NOT want front row for that.  Funny as fuck. 

Saw everybody, too young for the Beatles, but Dead with Pigpen, Stones with Mick Taylor on lead, etc. Best might have been Hot Tuna acoustic, just Jack and Jorma. Procol Harum with Robin Trower was badass. 

A boarding school buddy's BIL owned the Palace Concert Theater in PVD, so we had free tix and BS passes to everything. His family was mob, he was found murdered a few years later. Wild  days. 

Was his last name Longo, or Scarpellini?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Entire shows or parts of shows...

Entire Shows:

U2 POP Tour at Oakland Coliseum

Stones Steel Wheels Tour Oakland Coliseum

U2's Joshua Tree 2017 total album show with first mini set being their first stripped down hits, Levi's Stadium

Elton John's Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour

Grateful Dead, Berkeley Greek Theater Sept 1981, enhanced

Pat Metheny Group First Circle Tour, Warfield Theater San Francisco

Projekt 2 - Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn, Adrian Belew, Palookaville Santa Cruz, CA

 

Partial Shows:

Steely Dan a few years ago

Multiple Grateful Dead shows.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones with Future Man

Miles Davis in the late 80's

Pat Metheny, Jack Dejohnette, Dave Holland, and Herbie Hancock mid 90's - Hebie went on strike halfway through cause he couldn't keep up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone (RARE 1965 - Forest Hills, NY) - YouTube

Bob Dylan's infamous 1965 Forest Hills concert, where he booed by the audience when he played electric ...
 
 
 
Bob Dylan's infamous 1965 Forest Hills concert, where he booed by the audience when he played electric ...
Link to post
Share on other sites

Both visually and aurally my absolutely most memorable live show was Yes on their Relayer tour in New Haven late 1974. Complete with huge glowing alien insect heads rising up or dropping down on the band!

Sadly the music doesn't hold up, like a lot of that old bombastic shit, but man, what a night!

Weirdest pairing ever was at Florida State in Tallahassee... Fleetwood Mac on their Bare Trees tour opening for Black Sabbath on their Paranoid Tour.

Time was we'd try to kick off a vacation with a big concert in town. Still memorable was Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints tour at the Inglewood Forum around 1990. Huge band including the Brecker Bros and Mr. Rubber Legs on guitar made it hard to get to sleep before 2 weeks skiing Banff/ Lake Louise.

These days it's mostly festivals for us. The two that work best for our age demo are JazzFest in NO and Rhythm and Roots in Rhode Island. It's about the joy of discovery rather than seeing the latest big thang.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, basketcase said:
16 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

The soundtrack remains in heavy rotation on my playlists.

i saw 'the heads' at a small venue in toronto on their 'no talking' tour, and then David Bryne a year later in the same place. i regret not seeing them together.

I saw them at the University of Maryland - College Park, back in 1978 (I just looked it up).  Have very vague recollections of those days and nights.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, chinabald said:

Was never a concert buff. Only been to a dozen or so big name concerts. So the best was probably Billy Joel in the late 80s. 
I went to a lot of small venue (bars) with local bands. Sometimes you get a surprise. My favorite of those was watching the Detroit Blues band featuring Jimmy McCarty. They played a small bar and there was maybe 20 people in the place. 

We went to a bar with silver dollars epoxied to it on Anna Maria Island on a Friday night back in '76.  A guy wearing a beat up old work shirt, scruffy jeans and a gagillion dollars worth of sterling silver and turquoise.  He picked up a guitar and played a bluesy number, then a boogie and then Ramblin' Man.  It was Dicky Betts and the house band that he was playing with were his old high school band buddies.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Good time to be in Prague.  The city got really expensive in the years following the year 2000.  No more Czech platter and a Czech Bud draft for $5.00.  Still a very cool city though.

Absolutely! There was a feeling in the air that anything was possible. Those gigs I mentioned were very special, because the Czechs really loved those bands, even back in the 60'ies and 70'ies, widely sharing illegal tapes smuggled in from the west. Most of them never could dream then of ever being able to see these bands live, so when that moment finally came after the Velvet Revolution, the crowds were totally ecstatic!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, quod umbra said:

I'm just gonna live this right here for your consideration.

 

I saw Derek Truck playing with Clapton in 2005 in Mannheim, Germany. I suppose Clapton doesn't take just any young guitarist on tour with him.  The kid was good.  

The Robert Cray Band was the opening act and Cray jammed with them on a couple of song as well.  All in all a satisfying show.  Except Clapton played the electric version of Layla so fast and so sloppy that it was clear that he hates that song as he has often said.  Then don't play it Eric.  Playing it like shit is worse than that insipid acoustic version, and not hearing it all is better than both of those options in my opinion.  And when I saw him for the first time in Korea in 1997, he opened with 3 acoustic songs, the last being that insipid acoustic Layla.  Then he mumbled something about, that's enough of that shit, threw the acoustic guitar to a tech and strapped on Blackie and kicked ass the rest of the night including the heaviest version of Cocaine I've ever heard.  I thought the stage would collapse from the weight.  Maybe he was trying to erase the damage done by the acoustic Layla.  The last time I saw Clapton in Berlin in 2013, he didn't play any Laylas.  Which was fine with me after the last two.  What he did play were some Cream classics including Sunshine of Your Love and Badge, so I was very pleased.

 I'm willing to forgive Clapton for almost any transgression, the man is a guitar god, arguably the best ever.  

Here's a little video I made at the show in Berlin, he's playing Badge.  Not the best quality video, but whatever.  There's a sweet little jam starting around 1:16, no pyrotechnics, just competent, confident, solid playing, the result of more than 50 years of doing it.  It was his 50 years of touring tour.  He opened the show with Hello Old Friend, I almost burst into tears!   We had seats in the 6th row and you could walk right up to the edge of the stage as long as you didn't park there all night.  I could have reached out and touched Clapton.  I wonder how long YouTube will let the video stay up, before I get dinged for a copyright violation.  Enjoy it while it's there.

 

 

Clapton.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

Absolutely! There was a feeling in the air that anything was possible. Those gigs I mentioned were very special, because the Czechs really loved those bands, even back in the 60'ies and 70'ies, widely sharing illegal tapes smuggled in from the west. Most of them never could dream then of ever being able to see these bands live, so when that moment finally came after the Velvet Revolution, the crowds were totally ecstatic!

My best friend here is a German doctor that lives across the river.  He is 4 years younger than me.  He grew up listening to the US Armed Forces Network radio station in Berlin, and he and his friends would buy bootleg American Rock tapes.  We have driven or flown to concerts all over Germany together, we share a love of classic rock.  I got to hear it as it was happening growing up in the US, he had a little different experience growing up in East Germany.  He's like a little kid at the live shows, practically jumping up and down with excitement.  Like the Czechs you mentioned, he never dreamed he could see the bands perform live when he was young.  We've seen Clapton, Springsteen, ZZ Top, Robert Plant, Black Sabbath, Mungo Jerry, Tito and the Tarantulas, and a few other shows in venues large and small. 

He also told me he wanted to go to the US and he wanted to see the 'real America', he didn't care about the typical sights that tourists want to see.  I told him where I grew up, in NW PA, on Lake Erie in a rustbelt city, and my family and friends there were about as real as it gets.  So a few years ago, he and his family went with my wife and I for 3 weeks.  We did spend a day in Manhattan and a couple of days in Asbury Park (We just missed by a day a spontaneous Bruce appearance at a bar almost next to our hotel in AP, as Bruce often does).  Then we drove across PA and spent the rest of the time there.  Again, as a young guy in East Germany, he always dreamed of going to America.  I was happy to help him.  We had a great time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Led Zeppelin, February 20, 1972. Nothing / no one else I have ever seen comes close. (My own photos from that concert)

I saw them in Cleveland, OH in 1977.  It was a mind blowing, 3 hour long, incredible concert.  My only regret was that we won free tickets and I had no idea we would be on the floor, center seats, 15 rows from the stage.  My girlfriend figured she wouldn't bring her 35 mm camera because we would probably be up in the nosebleed section.  Oh well, I have the memories anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites