Best Live Shows You Ever Went To

18 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Still kicking myself for skipping this show.

Tom Petty in Baltimore.

He left us a little more than 2 months later.

I saw him a few months before that, Steve Winwood opened, he was great but too short.  Tom Petty was one of the most disappointing shows ever, too loud and just going thru the motions. You can stop kicking anytime. I was putting anything I could fit in my ears it was that loud. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Still kicking myself for skipping this show.

Tom Petty in Baltimore.

He left us a little more than 2 months later.

Caught Petty in Berkeley at the Greek. It was one of his last shows. He had been sick and it was a makeup show. He was so happy to be on the stage and it showed. I am sorry you missed the run, it was like he knew it was his final tour.  

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

I was putting anything I could fit in my ears it was that loud. 

Maybe it’s time to just sit in a big chair next to the radio.  And be sure to put that big blanket on your lap to keep warm grandpa.  

Best live show?  Ann Howe and Her Twin 44's at Carol Doda's North Beach burlesque in SFO.

Or do you mean something different?

Then it would be The Velvet Underground and Nico at the Electric Theater in NYC in 1967.   

I was 21 and going to school on Union Square across the street from The Factory and Max's Kansas City.  Good times.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Al Paca said:
3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

I was putting anything I could fit in my ears it was that loud. 

Maybe it’s time to just sit in a big chair next to the radio.  And be sure to put that big blanket on your lap to keep warm grandpa.  

Loudest show I ever went to was Jethro Tull at the Kemper Arena in Kansas City. Left that show almost deaf, what little I could hear  sounded like it was spinning around my head very fast. Friends reported the same effect. Fortunately my hearing went back to normal after a couple of days. Then there was the band at my nephews wedding in Hudson New York, reception held in an old factory that had been rebuilt purposely for large events and had acoustic improvements etc etc. They were unpleasantly loud but a big part of it was the selection of clang-y music.

But there's a lesson in sounding LOUD and being loud. My wife and I went to see Peter Rowan & Tony Rice at an old theater... nice venue, great acoustics. The opening act was a young lady who'd had a recent country hit, and had an electric country trio. They sounded LOUD but in general pretty good. Then Rowan/Rice came on, four acoustic musicians (2 guitars, mandolin or violin, upright bass), and they sounded sweet and smooth but the sound pressure level was considerably higher... you could feel the bass notes in your ribs. My wife dislikes loud music (she left the wedding reception mentioned above before the band finished their first song) but she loved that show.

LOUD is partly the energy in the acoustic waves and partly how good the musicians are (and what their goals are).

It's also true that as one ages, the pleasure in extremely loud music kinda goes away. I no longer have a huge amplifier and I rarely turn up any of my amps more than about half way (except the little battery ones).

- DSK

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

And feel free to fuck off. I played professionally for about 8 years, have been to lots of shows and concerts and there were only 2 others that were unbearable, one of which was Little Feat playing in a converted movie theater - many years post Lowell George. You weren't there of course so can tell me that when the wax starts running in my ears I should just grin and bear it.  By the time Petty came on the entire crowd was redneck drunk and yehawing it up. The other was not long before one of my favorite guitarists died, in a converted church, we paid extra for front row seats, tried standing over the stage on the balcony and ended with watching through the window from the sidewalk.  Meanwhile I understand when decibel levels reach damage level.

edit: Hearing damage is cumulative and doesn't appear until you get older, I am fortunate that I have little loss but do have really annoying tinnitus now for which there is nothing to do but just get used to it. I wear hearing protection when shooting, those I know who didn't can't hear shit anymore.

Since I am in full rant mode let's point out some changes over the years - BITD the stage had walls of amps/speakers with some monitors for vocals.  We were spared some by being behind the PA ones.  Now everything is miked with small amps and monitors on stage so it's all controlled by the mixing boards which are normally toward the back of the floor seating (I was next to that for the Petty one).  The band has no idea how loud they are and in the above case Winwood was not nearly loud enough and Petty was turn it up to 11. It's not my first rodeo.

Rant off.

Does Platos Retreat count? Young and in the Navy with this extremely hot, crazy older woman (she was 32) who picked me up (19 years old) and paid for the entire crazy evening during fleet week in NYC. I did managed to keep my dixie cup on at all times - thank god!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, 45Roller said:

just to name a few:

U2 at Slane Castle September 1st 2001, it was a different world then,

Iron Maiden early years tour, 2005, RDS Dublin, they played only the first 4 albums, everyone in the audience knew pretty much every song, it was a great sing-along. I also caught one of Nico's drumsticks :)

All the gigs at the Ambassador in Dublin, used to be a cinema, so was perfect for small gigs:

Anthrax, Motorhead, Slayer, Megadeth, Velvet Revolver

We chucked our empty flagans at RaceyA0BD7F71-DF23-4A62-9CFC-6994C3E63CA5.thumb.jpeg.4455b79eddad4b0c9bb77b68f4a0d17d.jpeg

• Like 1
On 3/21/2021 at 6:46 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

wow,  just so many....   

SRV with BBKing ,     SRV many times..

Neil Young Garage band tour,   CSNY when they got back to together, but you could have called it the Neil Young show

Steve Miller at texas state fair

Yes with Wakeman at keyboard

ELP with full orchestra

Pink Floyd  animals tour  /  Led Zepplin / Rolling Stones   all at MSG  within a month of each other

Springsteen

Kinks

Little Feat in a small college auditorium

Lenny Kravitz at jazz festival Neville Brothers  too

King Crimson

Tom Petty

Stevie Winwood

Thomas Dolby

John Prine

Warren Zevon

Peter Gabriel

Eric Clapton

Paul Simon

Simon and Garfunkle

Edie Brikel  w/ New Bohemians

10,000 maniacs

Aerosmith

REM

and many others..

have one more to add...   Ian Dury and the blockheads  opened   Lou Reed closed..

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Loudest show I ever went to was Jethro Tull at the Kemper Arena in Kansas City. Left that show almost deaf, what little I could hear  sounded like it was spinning around my head very fast. Friends reported the same effect. Fortunately my hearing went back to normal after a couple of days. Then there was the band at my nephews wedding in Hudson New York, reception held in an old factory that had been rebuilt purposely for large events and had acoustic improvements etc etc. They were unpleasantly loud but a big part of it was the selection of clang-y music.

But there's a lesson in sounding LOUD and being loud. My wife and I went to see Peter Rowan & Tony Rice at an old theater... nice venue, great acoustics. The opening act was a young lady who'd had a recent country hit, and had an electric country trio. They sounded LOUD but in general pretty good. Then Rowan/Rice came on, four acoustic musicians (2 guitars, mandolin or violin, upright bass), and they sounded sweet and smooth but the sound pressure level was considerably higher... you could feel the bass notes in your ribs. My wife dislikes loud music (she left the wedding reception mentioned above before the band finished their first song) but she loved that show.

LOUD is partly the energy in the acoustic waves and partly how good the musicians are (and what their goals are).

It's also true that as one ages, the pleasure in extremely loud music kinda goes away. I no longer have a huge amplifier and I rarely turn up any of my amps more than about half way (except the little battery ones).

- DSK

Mine was Napalm Death at the Voodoo Lounge here in Dublin, its a tiny venue, the PA they brought was for a much bigger place, all the support bands were loud, but they were a different level, my ears were ringing for a week afterwards, earplugs from that gig on :D

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Does Platos Retreat count? Young and in the Navy with this extremely hot, crazy older woman (she was 32) who picked me up (19 years old) and paid for the entire crazy evening during fleet week in NYC. I did managed to keep my dixie cup on at all times - thank god!...

I vote that counts double

- DSK

• Like 1

My favorite show, that I can really remember was Jackson Browne at Providence Performing Arts center (excellent acoustics). Just him a piano, and a rack of 23 guitars.  All acoustic show.  I have been to many memorable shows over the years, and there are several bands/artists that I wish that I had seen in their heyday.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:57 PM, Mid said:

please tell me you work at the gigs ?

BTW.... a few years ago some journo approached Sir Paul McCartney and asked him what it was like to be in the world's greatest rock band?
McCartney's answer, "I am sorry, you are mistaken, I wasn't in The Grateful Dead."

BEST show ever....Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton at Madison Square Garden...just for how awesome their sets were, how the sound was and how tremendous they are 

Best show for something that happened at the show :

Fairfield Theater 5 years ago...I saw Greensky Bluegrass   ....2 hot chicks had full on lesbian sex in the front row and the band started playing James Brown's  "sex machine " 

Best show that was right up there with the MSG show...................Grateful Dead at Rich Stadium in Buffalo  summer 1990....

and the best show I ever played in :  Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival

1 hour ago, quod umbra said:

BTW.... a few years ago some journo approached Sir Paul McCartney and asked him what it was like to be in the world's greatest rock band?
McCartney's answer, "I am sorry, you are mistaken, I wasn't in The Grateful Dead."

Yeah right. That lame joke has been repeated with the names of any 2 rocks tars you care to name.  But I have to admit, I've never heard such a ludicrous example as that one.  Well played.

2 hours ago, dacapo said:

BEST show ever....Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton at Madison Square Garden...just for how awesome their sets were, how the sound was and how tremendous they are 

I saw that combo when they played in Belgium  some years back - like you said, awesome set, tremendous players, unfortunately marred by absolutely horrible acoustics in the hall (Sportpaleis Antwerp)... :angry:

That was my second time seeing Eric Clapton in concert, first time round was in an exhibition hall (Ghent Expo) with equally terrible sound quality...

if we're going to the best of ..

SRV & BBKing    /  Neil Young  garage band tour    / Led Zepplin      Best rocking music you can get

Peter Gabriel      best light show

Ian Dury &  Lou Reed   /   Aerosmith   best show while on drugs

rolling stones / springsteen /      best shows to get your money woth..

ELP  w/ orchestra -   best show   for showmanship sake

Jim Suhler Monkey Beat  - best show for fight between band members..   drummer showed up extra drunk, Jim got pissed

weirdest thing to happen at a concert,   me and friends getting high before rolling stones concert starting,  suddenly see security sprinting up towards us,   high school kids thinking we're about to get arrested,    security points at us,  "no not you with the joint, the guy with the snuck in beer,  give us the beer"....      not worried about the drugs, just MSG not making money selling it's beer... lol..

15 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if we're going to the best of ..

SRV & BBKing    /  Neil Young  garage band tour    / Led Zepplin      Best rocking music you can get

Peter Gabriel      best light show

Ian Dury &  Lou Reed   /   Aerosmith   best show while on drugs

rolling stones / springsteen /      best shows to get your money woth..

ELP  w/ orchestra -   best show   for showmanship sake

Jim Suhler Monkey Beat  - best show for fight between band members..   drummer showed up extra drunk, Jim got pissed

weirdest thing to happen at a concert,   me and friends getting high before rolling stones concert starting,  suddenly see security sprinting up towards us,   high school kids thinking we're about to get arrested,    security points at us,  "no not you with the joint, the guy with the snuck in beer,  give us the beer"....      not worried about the drugs, just MSG not making money selling it's beer... lol..

had a similarly weird thing happen at Allman bros/Dead show in DC.. My dad drove me to the concert. I had 2 tickets. was supposed to meet a girl at the parking lot. I had a cooler full of beer and food.. a whole ham, bread, cheese etc... carrying this towards the big steel rollup gates, I see a bunch of kids bust one open and run in.. I stroll up to the broken gate about the same time the cops show up to close it... one cop looked at me and laughed, said "goddam you're slow" opened the gate back up and let me in... I made him a ham sandwich and gave him a coke.. offered him a beer, but he looked around and said he better not. I wandered around and finally found my friend already inside.. she had been with the group that broke the gate... Sold my tickets through another gate, and went inside ... the hallucinogens'kicked in about this time ... 

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Yeah right. That lame joke has been repeated with the names of any 2 rocks tars you care to name.  But I have to admit, I've never heard such a ludicrous example as that one.  Well played.

There sure are a lot of Grateful Dead mentions in this thread.  Just saying.  

29 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Grabbed from the Joke thread - 

Rhino Records just announced they will be making an 80 CD Box set of the Grateful Dead.

No word on which song it will be.
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

What's your point?  They still suck.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

On top of the one Jerry Band show I saw the Dead a handful of times. Absolutely no question one of the best live acts.

Saw Dylan live early 90s. Top notch.

There is a curious sub species of music fan that doesn’t seem to get either.

I just shake my head and assume they must be into new country or opera. Or both.

32 minutes ago, fufkin said:

On top of the one Jerry Band show I saw the Dead a handful of times. Absolutely no question one of the best live acts.

Saw Dylan live early 90s. Top notch.

There is a curious sub species of music fan that doesn’t seem to get either.

I just shake my head and assume they must be into new country or opera. Or both.

I get Dylan even if his voice sucks.  I don't like most country music, especially the new stuff.  I can tolerate some opera and I love all other kinds of classical music.  And I like classic rock the best because I was lucky enough to grow up with it as well as metal, punk, new wave, most styles of jazz, and a bunch of other music.  Other than Wham! and Milli Vanilli, I can't think of a band I despise more than the Dead.  WTF, some people hate Springsteen, I don't know why Dead Heads get so defensive other than at some point they must realize in some visceral, sober moment they figure out that they spent a lot of time and money following a band that sucks all those years, and they will never get the time or the money back.  That has to be very depressing.

You love the Dead, fine, good for you.  I don't, they make me vomit bile and blood, that's fine too.

I hate Stevie wonder too, am I bad for feeling that way?

23 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I get Dylan even if his voice sucks.  I don't like most country music, especially the new stuff.  I can tolerate some opera and I love all other kinds of classical music.  And I like classic rock the best because I was lucky enough to grow up with it as well as metal, punk, new wave, most styles of jazz, and a bunch of other music.  Other than Wham! and Milli Vanilli, I can't think of a band I despise more than the Dead.  WTF, some people hate Springsteen, I don't know why Dead Heads get so defensive other than at some point they must realize in some visceral, sober moment they figure out that they spent a lot of time and money following a band that sucks all those years, and they will never get the time or the money back.  That has to be very depressing.

You love the Dead, fine, good for you.  I don't, they make me vomit bile and blood, that's fine too.

I hate Stevie wonder too, am I bad for feeling that way?

Dylan could do whatever he wanted with his voice it seems.  

2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

It is also era dependent.
While there is some nostalgic draw to early Dead, much of it is average.
The latter era of Pigpen, a good deal was good music.

1976 through Spring 1978, most of it and particularly 1977, Spring Tour was off the charts good. And it was interesting. I can remember a show in New Haven in May where some very strange things were taking place. Hunter yelling at the audience.... then playing drums while Ken Kesey played mouth harp.....LOL, deadheads get this sentence.

There were some very good shows with Mydland on keyboards....... but it was nothing like 1977. They were "the band beyond description" and anyone who saw them at that point in time regards them as one of the, if not the, greatest rock bands of all time.

As for Dylan, two points. First off if you go to see Bob Dylan and expect something other than a poet who sets his poems to music, you are gonna be sorely disappointed. Secondly, if you think Bob Dylan cares what you think of his voice, you are gonna be sorely disappointed. That said, I have seen a few average Dylan shows and some where he was on fire.....and knew he was on fire and took full advantage of that!

24 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Dylan could do whatever he wanted with his voice it seems.  

Ok, is this vocalist pedantry anarchy.  How about this, in most  of his songs his voice sucks.  I can agree when he sang Lay Lady Lay, I was surprised but in The Girl From the North Country he is clearly trying hard not to suck, particularly in the lower notes, and it's painful.  

Just my opinion, naturally.

Way back, maybe 1971, in Boston, a little club on Lansdowne Street near Fenway:

Spirit

Elvin Bishop

Sha Na Na

Ten bucks as I recall.   I was there for Spirit.  The rest were lagniappe, and good.  Three very different appraoches to music.

4 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

1976 through Spring 1978, most of it and particularly 1977, Spring Tour was off the charts good. And it was interesting. I can remember a show in New Haven in May where some very strange things were taking place. Hunter yelling at the audience.... then playing drums while Ken Kesey played mouth harp.....LOL, deadheads get this sentence.

There were some very good shows with Mydland on keyboards....... but it was nothing like 1977. They were "the band beyond description" and anyone who saw them at that point in time regards them as one of the, if not the, greatest rock bands of all time.

I will work on the assumption that your response is directed at least in part at me.  Your dissection of the dead above is why I often think that Dead Heads are like hard core baseball fans,.  They love nothing better than to sit around and discuss the minutiae, each season, the batting averages, the line ups, ERAs and all manner of statistics ad nauseum.  I don't know of any other rock music fans that do that.  I guess when the music sucks, you have to justify your devotion somehow.

10 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

As for Dylan, two points. First off if you go to see Bob Dylan and expect something other than a poet who sets his poems to music, you are gonna be sorely disappointed. Secondly, if you think Bob Dylan cares what you think of his voice, you are gonna be sorely disappointed. That said, I have seen a few average Dylan shows and some where he was on fire.....and knew he was on fire and took full advantage of that!

I never said I don't like Dylan, obviously he is a talented and brilliant writer, and just as obvious is that he makes Springsteen sound like Pavarotti.  As far as how Bob feels about my opinion, that's immaterial.  I don't give a shit that he doesn't give a shit.  That's not the point, and it doesn't change the sound of his voice one bit, it's still awful. 

5 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

I saw that combo when they played in Belgium  some years back - like you said, awesome set, tremendous players, unfortunately marred by absolutely horrible acoustics in the hall (Sportpaleis Antwerp)... :angry:

That was my second time seeing Eric Clapton in concert, first time round was in an exhibition hall (Ghent Expo) with equally terrible sound quality...

that tour IIRC was in Feb. 2008  as my best friend got me tix for my birthday...we had a blast

21 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I will work on the assumption that your response is directed at least in part at me.  Your dissection of the dead above is why I often think that Dead Heads are like hard core baseball fans,.  They love nothing better than to sit around and discuss the minutiae, each season, the batting averages, the line ups, ERAs and all manner of statistics ad nauseum.  I don't know of any other rock music fans that do that.  I guess when the music sucks, you have to justify your devotion somehow.

I never said I don't like Dylan, obviously he is a talented and brilliant writer, and just as obvious is that he makes Springsteen sound like Pavarotti.  As far as how Bob feels about my opinion, that's immaterial.  I don't give a shit that he doesn't give a shit.  That's not the point, and it doesn't change the sound of his voice one bit, it's still awful. 

Well then based on your expectations Dylan will always suck..... even if you like his music.

The baseball analogy isn't bad Ed. There is some truth there. So I will submit this, if The New York Yankees .... if The Yankees never moved from Baltimore (they were The Orioles in 1901-1902), if they never fielded Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Micky Mantle, Yogi Berra or Mariano Rivera, if they didn't win 40 American League Pennants and 27 World Series Championships.....
NO ONE WOULD GIVE A FLYING FUK.
In there time, The Grateful Dead played more shows than any other act in Madison Square Garden AND held the record for most revenue from touring.
Now in time they were displaced, Billy Joel surpassed the MSG record but basically did that by becoming the Garden house band. And your Bruce Springsteen surpassed them in touring revenue. But they do hold one record that no one thinks will ever be broken.....  25 million people have gone to see The Grateful Dead.

33 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Late 80’s into 1990 Dead were on fire. Jerry off the H for awhile.  

From the way back machine - Billy Joel, '73 Liberty Hall capacity about 400, was $8 for 4th row center, folding chairs and he was terrific - did a lot of his club stuff including imitating every great rock&roll keyboard player, best was Great Balls of Fire.  Jackson Browne on the Running on Empty tour. Band was the studio players who did the recordings.  Summit - now Lakewood church was a great venue.

5 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Well then based on your expectations Dylan will always suck..... even if you like his music.

That's a completely fallacious statement.  That's like saying Germany sucks because Hitler sucked or damned close to it.  You can hate the sinner but love the sin as it were.  I tolerate his voice because it's worth hearing what he has to say.  Except All Along the Watchtower, even Dylan said than the Hendrix cover is better than he ever thought that song could be.  The Peter Paul and May cover of Blowin' in the Wind is gorgeous, those harmonies give me the chills.  But when Mr. Zimmerman sings it so honestly and with such raw feelin', it also gives me the chills.  Just because Bob's voice suck, doesn't mean it doesn't add something to the songs.  Joan Baez has the voice of an angel and she lived with him for a time.  She wrote and sang some beautiful music about it, she must have seen something in the " unwashed phenomenon, the original vagabond" even if he did insult her poetry.  Much like many things in life, it's all about diamonds and rust, isn't it.  

12 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

And over 500 songs! on their playlist. 

And 2 of them are actually good!   

13 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Late 80’s into 1990 Dead were on fire. Jerry off the H for awhile.  

LOL...... take this....
Bear in mind this version of MNS was filmed in b&w. John Scher filmed every show in The Capitol Theater in b&w.

2 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

That's a completely fallacious statement.  That's like saying Germany sucks because Hitler sucked or damned close to it.  You can hate the sinner but love the sin as it were.  I tolerate his voice because it's worth hearing what he has to say.  Except All Along the Watchtower, even Dylan said than the Hendrix cover is better than he ever thought that song could be.  The Peter Paul and May cover of Blowin' in the Wind is gorgeous, those harmonies give me the chills.  But when Mr. Zimmerman sings it so honestly and with such raw feelin', it also gives me the chills.  Just because Bob's voice suck, doesn't mean it doesn't add something to the songs.  Joan Baez has the voice of an angel and she lived with him for a time.  She wrote and sang some beautiful music about it, she must have seen something in the " unwashed phenomenon, the original vagabond" even if he did insult her poetry.  Much like many things in life, it's all about diamonds and rust, isn't it.  

Dylan is pretty funny, when asked by someone who doesn't really know who he is he responds, "Just a song and dance man."

5 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Best forlast Ed.

Why did you post the same song 4 times?  

Oh wait, I looked at the titles, apparently they were for different songs.  They all sounded alike to me, like all of their music!  

3 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Why did you post the same song 4 times?  

Oh wait, I looked at the titles, apparently they were for different songs.  They all sounded alike to me, like all of their music!  

Sorry you are tone deaf.....

Eyes of the World is a lovely song. You should really make an effort to listen to it start to finish.

2 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Sorry you are tone deaf.....

Eyes of the World is a lovely song. You should really make an effort to listen to it start to finish.

I am anything but tone deaf.  I have near perfect pitch.  That might be part of the problem.  That and my discerning taste in music!  

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

I am anything but tone deaf.  I have near perfect pitch.  That might be part of the problem.  That and my discerning taste in music!  

I also thought you you might enjoy Donna Jean Godchaux singing and dancing for you. Her husband Keith is playing piano. Sort of a cool story about how they ended up in the dead...... basically they were fans and asked if they could play with them. DonnaJean has a lot of song credits.....she is from Muscle Shoals Studios and IIRC did backing tracks with Elvis.

Ed, I get you don't like The Dead. During that version of Eyes of the World, FFWD to like the 5 minute mark and just watch Garcia do what Garcia did best, which was to noodle up and down the fret board.

Maybe there should be a thread about the greatest musicians ever seen live who have also sat in with the Dead at one point or another. 

I'll start with The Allman Brothers, Santana, Dylan, and probably throw in Los Lobos. David Hidalgo is one hell of a smoking guitar player...pretty sure he doesn't sit in with bands that suck...

6 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

had a similarly weird thing happen at Allman bros/Dead show in DC.. My dad drove me to the concert. I had 2 tickets. was supposed to meet a girl at the parking lot. I had a cooler full of beer and food.. a whole ham, bread, cheese etc... carrying this towards the big steel rollup gates, I see a bunch of kids bust one open and run in.. I stroll up to the broken gate about the same time the cops show up to close it... one cop looked at me and laughed, said "goddam you're slow" opened the gate back up and let me in... I made him a ham sandwich and gave him a coke.. offered him a beer, but he looked around and said he better not. I wandered around and finally found my friend already inside.. she had been with the group that broke the gate... Sold my tickets through another gate, and went inside ... the hallucinogens'kicked in about this time ... 

great story B&G but a whole ham?  5 or 6 pounds of ham?  WTF?  :D

35 minutes ago, chester said:

great story B&G but a whole ham?  5 or 6 pounds of ham?  WTF?  :D

was the easiest thing to grab outa my mom's fridge at the moment LOL it was already wrapped in tin foil. carving with a swiss army knife was a bit of a challenge but do-able

Here's a list of some concerts I remember:

1968: Jimi Hendrix Experience / Vanilla Fudge / Soft Machine / Eire Apparent at the Hollywood Bowl (California).  About the only thing I remember was being blown away by Hendrix, Vanilla Fudge doing their slowed-down "You keep me hanging on", and that Eire Apparent was ear-piercingly harsh.  I was  14 years old.

1968: Cream at the Los Angeles Forum

1970: Hendrix at the Los Angeles Forum  Buddy miles Express, then Hendrix, I think with Buddy on drums)

King Crimson was an opener at one of the last two.

1970: Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Santa Monica Civic Auditorium

1971: Steve Miller Band, Hollywood Palladium.  I recorded this on a smuggled-in cassette tape. Horribly overloaded the built-in microphone, but I played it a lot.  Lost now.  I think David Lindley was there as well, in Kaleidoscope 

Others: 

Steve Miller / Wet Willie / Doobie Brothers at the Fillmore West (San Francisco)

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust tour, in Sacramento

Norton Buffalo, Russian River Theater

David Lindley (with his El Rayo X band), Cotati California

David Lindley / Richard Thompson, Santa Rosa CA

Richard Thompson. Petaluma Mystic Theater CA

Joan Osborne, Petaluma Mystic Theater CA

MeShell Ndegeocello, Petaluma Mystic Theater CA

Bela Fleck &  Flecktones, several times in Santa Rosa CA

Victor Wooten solo, San Francisco (Fillmore?)

Jeff Beck, twice in Santa Rosa

Joe Satriani, Santa Rosa CA

Brian Setzer Orchestra, New Year's Eve show, San Francisco

And many others, they sort of blur together.

But probably the most memorable concerts I've been to are the ones associated with the film Standing in the Shadows of Motown (about the Motown label's session musicians).  You may be aware of my significant involvement in this project, in addition I traveled to Detroit for some of the filming of the concert sequences, as well as many of the promotional tour concerts.  Hanging out with Joan Osborne, Meshell Ndegeocello, Bootsy Collins, Chaka Khan, and others, and of course getting to know the Funk Brothers, was a real treat.  One of the post-release concerts was in Helsinki, so I flew over and invited a bunch of our Finnish relatives to join me.  Definitely had an all-access pass.  This concert was in a big ice-arena, but Steve Winwood and Billy Preston were singing with the Funk Brothers, and Winwood's sound guy was in charge of the arena sound.  He did a brilliant job -- I had to find him after the show and complement him.  I was expecting mud, but it was crystal clear with a solid bottom.

• Like 1

At the Variety Playhouse in Hotlanta I was on the second row in front of Joan Baez.  I would have taken her home but my then wife would've interfered.  Dylan at the Fox.  Dylan with Paul Simon at Chastain.  John Cougar when he was just breaking the scene at a small venue at Michigan State University.  There was an ice rink in Muskegon, the Who in Pontiac.  How the fuck do you slack asses remember any of this?

Live anything is better than digital, especially now.

2 hours ago, chester said:

norton buffalo was a harmonica palyer, right?

Boy, he sure was!   Norton played with just about everybody and had his own band at times.  Search youtube and you fill find plenty of his work.  Here's possibly his most famous performance, with Bonnie Raitt doing "Runaway".  This particular live performance isn't as clean as the album version, but it's a lot of fun to watch Norton swapping harmonicas during his solo.  He also used the chromatic harmonica a lot.  He died way too young in 2009.

Thinking of Norton Buffalo, I do remember seeing "Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen" live somewhere in SoCal.  Norton was with them, but I didn't know who he was back then.

Other fun shows:  Reverend Horton Heat (in the "psychobilly" genre) at the Petaluma Phoenix Theater.  We saw him a couple of times in the 2000's and he puts on a hell of a show.  The Phoenix is youth-oriented venue that I was also deeply involved in.

12 hours ago, valis said:

Boy, he sure was!   Norton played with just about everybody and had his own band at times.  Search youtube and you fill find plenty of his work.  Here's possibly his most famous performance, with Bonnie Raitt doing "Runaway".  This particular live performance isn't as clean as the album version, but it's a lot of fun to watch Norton swapping harmonicas during his solo.  He also used the chromatic harmonica a lot.  He died way too young in 2009.

i had an album of his probably from the mid 80's?...really cool

1987 U2 Vancouver - The Joshua Tree tour. Sort of a quasi-religious experience. U2 were at the top of their game. Amazing sound in BC Place which usually sucked.

1984 September - K.D. Lang, University of British Columbia. Well before she got into that crooning sound she's famous for. At that time she was was more "cowboy punk" and finding her way. But boy could she sing.

1988 Stein Festival, Mt. Currie BC  - the headliners were pure Canadiana:  Bruce Cockburn, Gordon Lightfoot, Blue Rodeo, Spirt of the West, and Bare Naked Ladies. Highlights included Gord going on as last performer of one night, the Northern Lights came out. He stopped playing, got them to kill all the stage lights and lights all over the venue. We lay on our blanket in the dark, looking up at the northern lights, as Gordon Lightfoot played acoustic guitar. Also my wife was in a Porta-Pottie next to Ed from BNL. He was giggling to himself singing new silly lyrics to "If I Had $1,000,000 dollars"...

2013 Brisbane, Oz - Leonard Cohen put on a super long performance. Every time he got on his knees during a song we wondered if he could get back up. What a treat to see him before he died.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, my Dad got his Masters at Stanford.  We got there in June '67 and left in August of '68.

One of our "treats" was to drive into San Francisco and sightsee/people watch.  Haight-Ashbury was a frequent destination for us.  Lots to see.  People hanging out on steps, drinking, smoking, etc.  People sleeping anywhere and everywhere.  

Therefore, I feel comfortable saying I "saw" The Grateful Dead.  Maybe even Janis Joplin.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I was here for this. He wasn't well and ended the show early but it was great while it lasted.

remember seeing SRV many times,  some where he was gassed out on whatever concoction he was on,  sitting on a stool, head down ,   playing like there was no tomorrow..