Looking to swap the headstay wire on my J80. It has a Harken 00 unit.

Do I have to cut the wire to get it out and then have the rigger press the new wire on site?

Or can I extract it from the foil go to the rigger and reinsert myself?

thanks

Are you trying to replace the furler? Or get rid of the furler entirely? To get the wire out of an assembled HK furler you will have to cut one end off. Cannot insert a wire with end fitting back into furler.. Any of the popular mechanical fittings can be installed after the wire is snaked back into the furler, but you WILL lose length in the headstay & possibly the furler. A completely new wire can be made to end up at the same O.A. length as the old wire.

Thanks for the answer.

I am not looking to remove the furler but exchange the old wire headstay inside as that has not been done. I was forced to exchange the mast tube a few years ago due to fatigue cracks in the side vertical attachment points. When doing that I changed all standing wires except headstay. 
Time has come to complete the work. 

Either way it sounds like the rigger will need to get in the bus with tools...

New forestay ordered in -4 rod.

One can separate the aluminium profile and slide them off the wire

Once the forestay is out one can cut one end of the wire (in my case Dyform 4.7mm I think) and salvage the joining inside pieces of the profile. These joining parts should then be slid onto the new forestay before the second end piece is pressed.

According to the rigger he will press an identical screw-terminal that I had on the old stay onto the Rod allowing me to reuse the turnbuckle at the bottom. This screw-terminal should be able to pass into the furler the same way the old came out.

Thanks for answers and I hope the thread may be useful for someone in the future.