Woody Kitchen Remodel

Since maybe mid December I've been working on a neighbor's kitchen.  He made some French fries and took them next door for dinner.  But instead of turning the heat off, he turned it on high.  Yes, his kitchen caught fire.  He was lucky he came back before the house was gone.

It's been like a full time job but I'm finally beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. 

WKR_008.jpg.4a979f880f55d8863dc120dfdcf0c8bb.jpg

A closeup of the cabinets.  Pecky Bolivian walnut rails & stiles with zebrawood panels. 

WKR_009.jpg.2518ded105525a737968e17b027bbfb6.jpg

On the far left wall is tigerwood.  Zebrawood is over the cooktop.  Still have to make the drawer fronts for under the cooktop.

WKR_010.jpg.dd968d9e8699abf53ac6086ff7a197f4.jpg

• Like 8

beautiful Jules , but wasted on one who forgets the chips ......................

• Like 1

Very nice! Too bad that it's almost impossible to get decent Maple "butcher block" counter top these days. Much like hardwood flooring, it's all made up of shorts. Beats Formica, or Corian, but I long for the days of 10' runs of uninterrupted clear maple counter top. Last hardwood counter top I did was Cherry, and I had to glue it up myself..... Used to be the second most used wood for counter tops.... Sigh... Actually, I lie. The last one I did was Mahogany, and it was one piece solid slabs 6/4 with a glued on lip of 4/4. That was a beautiful counter top.... Real "Honduras" Mahogany, although it really came from Costa rica.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Since maybe mid December I've been working on a neighbor's kitchen.  He made some French fries and took them next door for dinner.  But instead of turning the heat off, he turned it on high.  Yes, his kitchen caught fire.  He was lucky he came back before the house was gone.

It's been like a full time job but I'm finally beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. 

A closeup of the cabinets.  Pecky Bolivian walnut rails & stiles with zebrawood panels. 

On the far left wall is tigerwood.  Zebrawood is over the cooktop.  Still have to make the drawer fronts for under the cooktop.

The perimeter framing is for an elevated dining counter I presume.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Very nice! Too bad that it's almost impossible to get decent Maple "butcher block" counter top these days. Much like hardwood flooring, it's all made up of shorts. Beats Formica, or Corian, but I long for the days of 10' runs of uninterrupted clear maple counter top. Last hardwood counter top I did was Cherry, and I had to glue it up myself..... Used to be the second most used wood for counter tops.... Sigh... Actually, I lie. The last one I did was Mahogany, and it was one piece solid slabs 6/4 with a glued on lip of 4/4. That was a beautiful counter top.... Real "Honduras" Mahogany, although it really came from Costa rica.

I boarded maple trees 10-15 years ago. Lightning strikes that had to come down.  I wasn't smart enough to specify 2" true but had a shit load of 1' true rough sawn 8' to 10' stickered in a barn.  I still have a few boards but most is casement, baseboards and window trim for a friends daughters home.

4 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Yeah, but even with the shorts and shitwood, they're still really workable countertops. I've gone to only doing the shitwood countertops in my rentals. They look good, they're not expensive, they wear well, and when the tenants inevitably burn the top with hot pan, the burns sands right out.

Wood for the win.

Jules, your work is outstanding, gorgeous.

13 hours ago, Jules said:

That's beautiful Jules!!!  Wish I could hire you to remodel our kitchen, but we are a thousand miles away in SE CT...:(

13 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I have posted the pic here before, but there were no short pieces in the bar height dining table we made from a prep cook table, from a 1950's summer resort. Long strips of bullseye, tiger, and straight maple, mixed together.  You can't get wood like that anymore....

1 hour ago, dyslexic dog said:

And here I thought this was about a car/boat/ Kitchen project with a big breasted cougar.

had me going too

I had to go to the kitchen & check before clickin

Just having Woody's and my handles is the thread title gave me pause, but I'm glad I clicked. Nice work Jules.

9 hours ago, IStream said:

Beautiful, Jules. Now get them to replace the floor with something that does it justice. 

Pouring a dark red.....Burgundy urethane about 1/2 thick on that "quarry tile", might not look bad. Give it some bounce, and foot appeal too.....

Just about anything but more brown and/or a 2' square pattern that's out of scale with the space would be an upgrade.

On 3/20/2021 at 10:01 PM, Mrleft8 said:

The top he has for the other side of the kitchen has those 10' runs.  And it was finished when it arrived.  All from Global but the shorts tops were made by Boos.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:51 AM, chester said:

@Jules You tease!  You drop the sexy pic on us and then disappear? Sheesh.  :D

Sorry.  I've been so busy that by the end of the day I just want a hot shower and cold drink... at the same time. ;)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

The job is about 95% complete.  Still have to make up some downlights over the bar.

wr_310.jpg.3724439600ff5ed4aac619ba848a403a.jpg

wr_301.jpg.e1fe9db4c7fd5307a5c12f017763036c.jpg

wr_301c.jpg.3661e474d566d7061d1f98d30ddb2984.jpg

This started out as an attempt to hide the seam between the two slab halves and grew from there.  The bubbles are mother of pearl and the fish's eye is abalone.

wr_291.jpg.aa8fa0493d30830f6fdb14bcb0072c8c.jpg

• Like 2
On 3/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, Jules said:

You gonna put something up on the lumber behind the stove top?....

1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

You gonna put something up on the lumber behind the stove top?....

You mean over the oven between the wall cabinets?  If so, I made up a couple of bloodwood shelves with a curved front.  They are ready to install but my neighbor is working on getting his house ready for an after party party for our birthday boy neighbor who turned 80 today.

1 hour ago, chester said:

Nice. I think Rick means a back splash behind the cook top

Yups.....though even I would think twice about covering up those gorgeous dead tree pieces with a sheet of stainless or copper or marble or granite or tile.....or a Bengal Tiger pelt...

1 hour ago, chester said:

Nice. I think Rick means a back splash behind the cook top

37 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Yups.....though even I would think twice about covering up those gorgeous dead tree pieces with a sheet of stainless or copper or marble or granite or tile.....or a Bengal Tiger pelt...

This is Fish Camp.  Rust, rot, grease, and anything else that looks like shit to most, is what Rick (my neighbor) wants.  After I finished the walnut bar top he asked me if it was ready for a hammer. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Jules said:

This is Fish Camp.  Rust, rot, grease, and anything else that looks like shit to most, is what Rick (my neighbor) wants.  After I finished the walnut bar top he asked me if it was ready for a hammer. 

Sounds like my filthy rich chiropractor-2-the-Stars. His t & g 80 year old flooring came from two box cars he bought up in BFE Washington, his 9 foot tall double sliding/pocket 5 lite doors came out of an old office building in Ohio, the custom kitchen cabinets were made from recycled African Mahogany that was once some big wheeler-dealer dude's huge personal library somewhere....and the gorgeous stained glass windows came from a century old greenhouse. He painted the walls mustard yellow and the cieling tomatoe soup red. The only new thing in that kitchen was the white & grey marble counter tops.....purposedly left unsealed. 

When Chris finally had his open house party (about 150 of us showed up), he made a point to tell every guest to treat the kitchen like you were 5 years old ......and your parents had run off and abandoned you. I came bsck the next afternoon and that kitchen looked it had been there since the Civil War......

• Like 2

I hope the fishing poles, net, and etc. were the client's idea.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:37 PM, El Mariachi said:

Sounds like my filthy rich chiropractor-2-the-Stars. His t & g 80 year old flooring came from two box cars he bought up in BFE Washington, his 9 foot tall double sliding/pocket 5 lite doors came out of an old office building in Ohio, the custom kitchen cabinets were made from recycled African Mahogany that was once some big wheeler-dealer dude's huge personal library somewhere....and the gorgeous stained glass windows came from a century old greenhouse. He painted the walls mustard yellow and the cieling tomatoe soup red. The only new thing in that kitchen was the white & grey marble counter tops.....purposedly left unsealed. 

When Chris finally had his open house party (about 150 of us showed up), he made a point to tell every guest to treat the kitchen like you were 5 years old ......and your parents had run off and abandoned you. I came bsck the next afternoon and that kitchen looked it had been there since the Civil War......

I have to share this with my neighbor.  He'll love it.

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

9C0F39FB-4A27-455A-8DA9-7283BA1B26B8.jpeg

F'ng cats. They're the reason we can't have nice things.......

FB_IMG_1599023014380.jpg

On 5/15/2021 at 8:03 AM, Max Rockatansky said:

9C0F39FB-4A27-455A-8DA9-7283BA1B26B8.jpeg

We need one of those.  There's about a million rabbits here looking to be a meal.

6 hours ago, Jules said:

We need one of those.  There's about a million rabbits here looking to be a meal.

Happy to lend you a few. Not uncommon around here to see them when I'm hiking. Usually sitting off the trail quietly watching....tail twitching.......never been bothered or charged or stalked (well probably stalked but I don't know it).......but its always a sight when you spot one sitting and watching you.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:57 AM, IStream said:

Okay, this is Florida wacky at its best. Pretty amazing. Well done!

You should see his restaurant, located not in Florida but in Michigan.  He brings wacky wherever he goes.

1740617742_photo2jpg1.jpg.c902d8a2b19b07bcfdaccbddf9a121ff.jpg

569056124_photo0jpg1.jpg.fe29e20156d29b29e9ad39d78e6f2a83.jpg

And he puts a chub in a Bloody Mary, which apparently, people love.

1097420645_photo3jpg1.jpg.34bc438fd6467c5281b4300a28b549d7.jpg

21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You used to have them - have they all been exterminated?

The rabbits ate them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jules said:

You should see his restaurant, located not in Florida but in Michigan.  He brings wacky wherever he goes.

1740617742_photo2jpg1.jpg.c902d8a2b19b07bcfdaccbddf9a121ff.jpg

569056124_photo0jpg1.jpg.fe29e20156d29b29e9ad39d78e6f2a83.jpg

The health dept. must love him...:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Jules said:

I will probably regret this but what is a chub and does it improve a Bloody Mary?

Probably turns tomato juice into a facsimile of Clamato which means you have a Caesar instead of a Mary.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, Point Break said:

Happy to lend you a few. Not uncommon around here to see them when I'm hiking. Usually sitting off the trail quietly watching....tail twitching.......never been bothered or charged or stalked (well probably stalked but I don't know it).......but its always a sight fright when you spot one sitting and watching you.

IFTFY

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

The health dept. must love him...:rolleyes:

The patrons certainly do.  The restaurant is said to be the most popular waterfront restaurant in Michigan.  I was there over 30 years ago, on one of our Chicago to Mac trips, but Rick didn't own it then and my failing memory doesn't remember much other than one boat owner in the harbor telling me the approaching storm could wash right over the breakwater so I'd better tie down the boat really well before I go to sleep.

As a confirmed sardine and mackerel lover, I would hit this without hesitation.

Nothing better than sardines on Carr's crackers with a dash of Louisiana sauce. The perfect tea time snack.

41 minutes ago, IStream said:

Nothing better than sardines on Carr's crackers with a dash of Louisiana sauce. The perfect tea time snack.

You spelled anchovy wrong.....

1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

You spelled anchovy wrong.....

I got my 10 year old daughter into sardines, anchovies are next...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IStream said:

I got my 10 year old daughter into sardines, anchovies are next...

They both rock if you ask me. 'Chovies on artichoke/garlic/Jack cheese/fresh 'shrooms/red pepper flakes Brushettas on sliced French bread, on pizza, in spinach salads (with hard boiled eggs and hot vinagrette dressing of course) and in home made Miso soup with a dash of high quality spicey horse radish stirred in. 

Sardines? 'Pends on what you bought. If thery're still whole, dried & salted.....well there's your Mother Nature's version of Ichthyologists pototoe chips....right out the f'ng bag. If you bought them in a big can floating around in a bunch of tomatoe paste? Drain the can and then dip them in Wasabi. If they're whole, uncleaned and fresh? Just gut the little fukers, dip them in egg juice, sprinkle some seasoned flour on them, brush on more egg juice, sprinkle Panko, crushed Corn Flakes, crushed Ritz crackers or even crushed garlic & olive flavored Triscuits....and teach yourself  how to deep fry shit. When they're done sprinkle some real grated Parmesan on top.....and go at. Just get a  few dish towels ready....'cuz you're probably gonna have at least one big tongue-gasm.....

• Like 3
5 hours ago, IStream said:

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the great drink they call the Chubby Mary.

Well, 'great' if you want a smoked fish in your cocktail. Meet the most Michigan drink ever.

The Chubby Mary is a twist on the traditional Bloody Mary served at The Cove in Leland's Fishtown neighborhood one of the small fishing hamlets in the Leelanau Peninsula. The recipe is pretty close to a traditional spicy Bloody Mary with hot sauce and horseradish. It's that garnish that sets it apart. Olives, pickle spear and a whole smoked chub, no doubt caught nearby in Lake Michigan.

• Like 2
On 3/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, Jules said:

I need a new Kitchen, Really, it is an old 80's tile pos counter tops with crappy 1st gen particle board.

• 2 months later...

Still messing around with Rick's Man Cave...

I took the scrap pieces from the walnut bar top and tried to make a very rustic stool.  Carving the seat top:
RP_011.thumb.jpg.0d58d610d25c2eeb7dc281f63fe42ea0.jpg

Finished product (sorry for the blur -took the pic with my phone)
RP_008.thumb.gif.540d8c7ff745e0325bd441d4c304b609.gif

This was a real challenge getting the braces lined up correctly.  Lots of cipherin'

• Like 3

Next was dealing with the smoke stained white walls and doors in the adjacent hallway

I found some fish campy items for the hallway entry
Halls_103.jpg.4f45d431e8455d2a0ebdcec4f3fccb45.jpg

The ceiling is the reverse side of wood planking.  I replaced the fixture, removed the white bubbled paint on the doors with a heat gun, and made up some wood trim for the doors with tigerwood.

Halls_102.thumb.jpg.1d7bc95c55a4196d9a58b097cd9725bd.jpg

• Like 3

On to the guest bath.  It used to be peeling wallpaper covering yellow paint.  The soffit had that old Florida lighting - fluorescent lights over translucent plastic sheeting.  Gutted the soffit.  Installed pecky Bolivian walnut veneer I resawed.  Found some cheap lights and spray painted them with 3 different colors.   Did the same on the ceiling as in the hallway.  The vanity will probably be replaced.

GBath_103.jpg.ff5deb946f99f1d1fe7f9c5d6652db35.jpg

I found some old lithographs and hung them for effect.  Don't know if they will stay.  Still gotta figure out the walls.
GBath_102.jpg.9d75943c83c2cb1ffd6c5f768fd66026.jpg

Working on window trim and faux mold staining.  For the Havana picture, I made a zebrawood frame out of scrap.
GBath_101.jpg.1b2692944e918a3ad76e600355e55f13.jpg

• Like 1

Found a clearer pic of the stools
stools_104.jpg.c572100081c78d5e98e6c98a29ec4ecb.jpg

And dressed up the Tucan spot with a custom fish camp sign
Kitchen_101.jpg.7669b16aa3e6879d001187c7400d8458.jpg

That picture on the back wall between the woven cabinets is a lithograph of the bar at Sloppy Joe's in Key West.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Jules said:

Found a clearer pic of the stools
stools_104.jpg.c572100081c78d5e98e6c98a29ec4ecb.jpg

And dressed up the Tucan spot with a custom fish camp sign
Kitchen_101.jpg.7669b16aa3e6879d001187c7400d8458.jpg

That picture on the back wall between the woven cabinets is a lithograph of the bar at Sloppy Joe's in Key West.

F'n amazing.  Congratulations, Jules!

This guy must have mucho dinero!

(And anchovies are just salty fishy,spiny zippers)

Better on tourist pizzas, in caesr slads than on crackrs with cheese.

I used to like thenm smoked oyster, Littleneck clams  barely seared bay scallops in lemon juce and chicken stoc, with a puncg od garlc.

Thanks for the kind words.

This has been fun.  I'm doing stuff I've never done before and Rick has caused my mind to go places it has never gone before.  For decades it's been straight, square, level, plum, flat... and boring.  Now I'm spending more time in the creative world than the version of perfection created by man.  And Rick seems to love it.

Some more

For the shelves, I took the 16" wide bloodwood board, cut out a curved front and installed adjustable shelf pins.  And a close up of the Sloppy Joe lithograph.
RP_002c.thumb.jpg.0a9f3ac16ebbbca51be3be163236df10.jpg

Another fish camp find.  No doubt this fighting belt will create some conversation.  In the background is a portion of what I was told is a beach pole, for casting off the beach.  The pole is over 8 feet long.  It didn't have a reel when we got it but I was able to find an old one that fit perfectly.  The brackets are made out of tigerwood scraps.
RP_003c.thumb.jpg.bfd9c803a5da62ca1aaae7f5c0c23fc2.jpg

Gotta have some fish lure ads, and smoke stains at the top of the door frame in memory of the Great Fire.  Rick had that basket laying around.  I hung it because it reminded me of a fishing basket.  Under the copper cups are two scrap pieces of tigerwood.  I'm going to mount them to the wall on the right as shelves.  The copper cups will go on one and something else on the other.  The ladder is my 'lektrishuns ladder, customized to cut conduit and hold tools.  I've had that thing for close to 35 years.
RP_004c.thumb.jpg.dbe74cb9f64e544fb2a85638cdc43460.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cyclone said:

New saw?

Yeah.  Some of the money I made on the project went to replacing a 25 year old Delta contractors saw.  It really struggled with the South American woods more commonly found around here.  The increase from 1-3/4HP to 4HP was instantly obvious. 

There is no doubt in my mind, that the bathroom, especially the vanity, sink, and toilet need to be replaced.

I'm thinking Saltillo tile for the floor, a simple slat fronted vanity, with hidden hinges, and touch latch doors. The sink/toilet paper holder can be hammered copper with a humorous fish faucet on the sink, and tail fin water valves. The toilet takes a little more thought..... Those are hard to custom make. My B-i-L did a few many years ago in stoneware, but they weren't as successful as he'd hoped.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, Mrleft8 said:

There is no doubt in my mind, that the bathroom, especially the vanity, sink, and toilet need to be replaced.

I'm thinking Saltillo tile for the floor, a simple slat fronted vanity, with hidden hinges, and touch latch doors. The sink/toilet paper holder can be hammered copper with a humorous fish faucet on the sink, and tail fin water valves. The toilet takes a little more thought..... Those are hard to custom make. My B-i-L did a few many years ago in stoneware, but they weren't as successful as he'd hoped.

I like it! I'm on the road right now but when I get back I'll see what's doable.  Thanks!