Jump to content

Biden’s got the buzz. Who’s smirking now?


Recommended Posts

Old Pol, New Tricks

Joe Biden never had a seat at the cool kids’ table at the Obama White House.

Heading into 2016 and 2020, if you told the hotshots from Obamaworld that you thought Biden would be a good candidate, they would uniformly offer a look of infinite patience, tolerance and condescension and say something like, “Well, I could understand how someone would think that.”

The message was unmistakable: Biden was not part of the Obama entourage. He was sort of a goofball and windbag. He was a member of an older, outmoded generation. In other words, uncool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good article!  Maureen Dowd may be older generation, but she is nowhere near her sell by date, as an essayist with depth, keen understanding and great communication skills.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

He isn’t living up to his promise to restore Obama’s Cuba policy. 

 

Obama couldn't solve that either.  Give him credit for what he has accomplished.  No one can solve all the problems, we would like him to, there are always roadblocks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Obama couldn't solve that either.  Give him credit for what he has accomplished.  No one can solve all the problems, we would like him to, there are always roadblocks.

Trump reversed Obama policy by exec order. Biden could restore it with a one sentence order. “Executive Order Number ____ is hereby recinded.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

Old Pol, New Tricks

Joe Biden never had a seat at the cool kids’ table at the Obama White House.

Heading into 2016 and 2020, if you told the hotshots from Obamaworld that you thought Biden would be a good candidate, they would uniformly offer a look of infinite patience, tolerance and condescension and say something like, “Well, I could understand how someone would think that.”

The message was unmistakable: Biden was not part of the Obama entourage. He was sort of a goofball and windbag. He was a member of an older, outmoded generation. In other words, uncool.

We had a similar situation here years ago.

Trudeau the Greater was asked his opinion of his #2, Jean Chretien.

His reply was "He knows his limitations"

Years later Chretien became one of our most effective PM's ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frenchie said:

LOL, you know who's an uncool member of an older generation? 

Maureen Dowd, that's who.

I read her columns with general enjoyment but sometimes, like Bill Maher, the smirk is too much with her.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Obama couldn't solve that either.  Give him credit for what he has accomplished.  No one can solve all the problems, we would like him to, there are always roadblocks.

It’s worth seeing. There’s a photography page on Facebook titled “Cuba en Fotos” that really captures the place well. Roberto Suarez is the guy who runs it. He has a personal Fb page that is also good, and a blog page, https://robertosuarezpinon.blogspot.com/?m=1

We are missing out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

We are missing out. 

so are the ordinary Cuban people

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mid said:

so are the ordinary Cuban people

That goes without saying. It is easy to do an entire trip without spending anything with the government other than taxes on the plane flights and charges on exchanged money.  No govt taxis, restaurants or lodging. It isn’t rocket science. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

No govt taxis, restaurants or lodging.

legit or blind eye , simply curious .

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

That goes without saying. It is easy to do an entire trip without spending anything with the government other than taxes on the plane flights and charges on exchanged money.  No govt taxis, restaurants or lodging. It isn’t rocket science. 

 

Do you bring greenbacks with you, or is that frowned upon?  And, does one need to speak Spanish?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
32 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

That goes without saying. It is easy to do an entire trip without spending anything with the government other than taxes on the plane flights and charges on exchanged money.  No govt taxis, restaurants or lodging. It isn’t rocket science. 

 

Do you bring greenbacks with you, or is that frowned upon?  And, does one need to speak Spanish?

Sign up with a church "mission" to Cuba. The work isn't usually onerous, and you get an up-close look at what life is really like there. You don't have to be a praying Indian yourself but you have to gladly coexist with them for a couple weeks.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mid said:

legit or blind eye , simply curious .

Legit.
Flights have taxes included, and visas cost money. When you get through the airport and come out of customs, you walk out of Jose Marti Airport and there will be a throng of taxi drivers trying to get you into their yellow cab. Those are government. Walk right past and thank them but say no. Then walk to a clear spot and look at the parking lot for the antique car you want to ride in. Those are private. Walk up, talk to them and make a deal. That gets you to your AirBnB. The govt allows AirBnB there, so you can stay with budding entrepreneurs. I have a place where I always stay, on the water in a brand new 1 BR/ 1 BA apartment. The folks there send me a shopping list when I am planning a trip and I bring them whatever they need. They have a pot of really good cafe ready to go every morning.  Private restaurants (Paladars) vary in quality. I have several that I trust.  They provide better food than the government restaurants. Folks running the AirBnBs either provide taxi service for a price or have a relative who does. At Marina Hemingway there is a taxi stand (all private taxis). If you like cigars it isn’t hard to find someone who’s relative rolls them for a job. They have a motto. “They pretend to pay us and we pretend not to steal.” 
 

If you travel by boat you are going to stay at a govt Marina. Marina Hemingway is owned by the Ministry of Tourism. That’s gonna put a per foot charge in govt coffers. The new 1200 slip Marina at Varadero is owned by Grupo Gaviota, the tourism branch of the Cuban Military. Going to the latter was the first thing Trump outlawed re Cuba. He didn’t end vessel travel there altogether until a couple of years later when he needed to win Miami.  
 

if you want to drink rum, and you have any taste, you’re going to drink 11 y.o. Ron Santiago de Cuba, bottled in Santiago at the old Bacardi distillery. The government is going to make money off of that. 
 

if you work at it, you can spend the vast majority of your money with private citizens. Keep in mind that Cuba has two economies, and have just allowed another swath of business types to join the private economy. If you see the same people again and again, you can arrange a lot of your trip in advance. I bring all of the clothes and stuff that I used to give to charity and give it to my friends down there. If they can’t use it they can trade it. Old phones? They’re like gold there. My buddies all have stuff I had in drawers and never used. Those are essentially the rules for the “Support for the Cuban People” travel category, which is still legal. 

It’s a pretty cool place. One of the few places where they really like Americans. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Do you bring greenbacks with you, or is that frowned upon?  And, does one need to speak Spanish?

They love greenbacks. The first year of the race we had some misinformation about that and had changed out some dollars for Euros but that was Anti Castro bullshitters having fun. They want USD. That said, the USD could be exchanged for Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC), which can be spent easier than dollars. Not everyone knows what a dollar is worth there. 
The CUCs were mostly for the turistas while the locals use CUPs, Cuban Pesos. CUPs are worth peanuts while CUCs worth slightly less than a dollar. My next trip down is going to be a learning experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mid said:

Thank-you Sol , definitely on the bucket list .

I have a Paladar near Morro Castle where I go for dinner, followed by walking across the street to watch them fire the cannons (9pm every night), then a cab ride to Old Havana. Habana Vieja is good for hours of strolling and listening to music and seeing sights. Awesome place. 
 

I want to do a trip to Santiago next winter. They say it’s too hot in the summer. That’s where the distillery is, where the daiquiri was supposedly invented. I’ve heard that the best bartender in all of Cuba works there in the rum museum.  I hate just taking someone’s word about something as important as that. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the dribbler in chief needs a hand up those stairs. Biden’s got the buzz. :lol:

 

  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

He isn’t living up to his promise to restore Obama’s Cuba policy. 

He is not living up to anything he promised.

But I agree, the more people that can go visit Cuba the freer the Cubans will become. I think China might buy Cuba soon.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

He is not living up to anything he promised.

...    ...

Other than to get the vaccination program off the ground

And to stop being deliberately cruel to brown people trying to cross the US-Mexican border

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

He is not living up to anything he promised.

But I agree, the more people that can go visit Cuba the freer the Cubans will become. I think China might buy Cuba soon.

I have a stimulus check that says otherwise, and from the cries of people who rediscovered their deeply held desire for fiscal responsibility over that bill, I'd say he's living up to stuff.  He's been in office just over 60 days. He just didn't redistribute a bunch of borrowed money to give to rich people to put into their bank, never to see the light of day again. That pisses the Be$t Americans off something fierce.  

China is trying to buy everything. They've weaseled their way into the Bahamas and have a fish processing facility on the north end of Great Abaco just northwest of Coopers Town with semi-deep water access, which should strip the northern Bahamas of their fish in short order. Look at it on google earth, with ocean access alongside Spanish Cay. They want It. All. 

Cubans won't give it all to them.  The Russians are already in there.  Their embassy is visible from well offshore, and looks like the handle of a sword, sunk straight down into the heart of Havana.  That's their spy shop and word has it that it extends down as far below ground as it does above. Chinese did get in on the oil exploration on the north coast but did not do very well from what I've heard. 

I had an old waiter in Varadero tell me, in perfect English, "end the Embargo and this whole island will be speaking English in six months." He's right. There are big markets there for our farmers, and others. It's just that the Fanjul brothers don't want their sugar subsidies cut. US Sugar, Flo-Sun, Domino...they don't want that kind of competition. They donate a lot of money to the FL GOP delegation. The free market ain't what our iconic capitalists are interested in. It's the Americanos they want to have more than anyone.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I have a stimulus check that says otherwise, and from the cries of people who rediscovered their deeply held desire for fiscal responsibility over that bill, I'd say he's living up to stuff.  He's been in office just over 60 days. He just didn't redistribute a bunch of borrowed money to give to rich people to put into their bank, never to see the light of day again. That pisses the Be$t Americans off something fierce.  

China is trying to buy everything. They've weaseled their way into the Bahamas and have a fish processing facility on the north end of Great Abaco just northwest of Coopers Town with semi-deep water access, which should strip the northern Bahamas of their fish in short order. Look at it on google earth, with ocean access alongside Spanish Cay. They want It. All. 

Cubans won't give it all to them.  The Russians are already in there.  Their embassy is visible from well offshore, and looks like the handle of a sword, sunk straight down into the heart of Havana.  That's their spy shop and word has it that it extends down as far below ground as it does above. Chinese did get in on the oil exploration on the north coast but did not do very well from what I've heard. 

I had an old waiter in Varadero tell me, in perfect English, "end the Embargo and this whole island will be speaking English in six months." He's right. There are big markets there for our farmers, and others. It's just that the Fanjul brothers don't want their sugar subsidies cut. US Sugar, Flo-Sun, Domino...they don't want that kind of competition. They donate a lot of money to the FL GOP delegation. The free market ain't what our iconic capitalists are interested in. It's the Americanos they want to have more than anyone.  

  If big sugar was marketing sugar for the Cuban commies Havana would be overrun by Spring Break.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2021 at 11:22 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Other than to get the vaccination program off the ground

And to stop being deliberately cruel to brown people trying to cross the US-Mexican border

- DSK

You are obviously Blind and Stupid.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:41 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

I have a stimulus check that says otherwise.  

Yea, my son, 27, and grand daughter, only 1.5 yr old, will be paying that off to China for their whole lives. Lets add in the new 3T the dipshits want to borrow too. Maybe we will just Sell the USA to China to pay off the debt.

Where the FUCK does this money come from? There is not that much money in the world we are borrowing.

Democrats and GOP are so fucked up. Where are the Moderates?

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

You are obviously Blind and Stupid.

Yea, my son, 27, and grand daughter, only 1.5 yr old, will be paying that off to China for their whole lives. Lets add in the new 3T the dipshits want to borrow too. Maybe we will just Sell the USA to China to pay off the debt.

Where the FUCK does this money come from? There is not that much money in the world we are borrowing.

Democrats and GOP are so fucked up. Where are the Moderates?

The vast majority of the debt is not owned by China.  Around 80% of the debt is publicly owned. Of that about a third is owned by foreign governments.  The biggest holder is Japan followed by China which owns about $1T of our $27T.  Of course the fact that people and governments clamor to hold out debt is a good thing.  It speaks to their confidence in our economy.

Try not to be such an uninformed Moran.  Read a little and get your head out of your ass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Where the FUCK does this money come from? There is not that much money in the world we are borrowing.

Print it, like China does?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

You are obviously Blind and Stupid.

Yea, my son, 27, and grand daughter, only 1.5 yr old, will be paying that off to China for their whole lives. Lets add in the new 3T the dipshits want to borrow too. Maybe we will just Sell the USA to China to pay off the debt.

Where the FUCK does this money come from? There is not that much money in the world we are borrowing.

Democrats and GOP are so fucked up. Where are the Moderates?

It comes from the same place we borrow it from when the rich folks want their entitlement laundered through Iraq or Agfghanistan, or cut from their taxes. I have suggested that this bill could have been fully funded by repealing the Relief for Needy Billionaires Act of 2017, but our new believers in fiscal responsibility didn’t seem to like that idea too much. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

I have a Paladar near Morro Castle where I go for dinner, followed by walking across the street to watch them fire the cannons (9pm every night), then a cab ride to Old Havana. Habana Vieja is good for hours of strolling and listening to music and seeing sights. Awesome place. 
 

I want to do a trip to Santiago next winter. They say it’s too hot in the summer. That’s where the distillery is, where the daiquiri was supposedly invented. I’ve heard that the best bartender in all of Cuba works there in the rum museum.  I hate just taking someone’s word about something as important as that. 

a serious question re your interesting Cuba series.

If you run around Cuba avoiding everything government and essentially having a holiday on the black market, are you not undermining the thing that makes  modern Cuba?

It's on my bucket list too

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

a serious question re your interesting Cuba series.

If you run around Cuba avoiding everything government and essentially having a holiday on the black market, are you not undermining the thing that makes  modern Cuba?

It's on my bucket list too

It’s the people who make Cuba. The history is there but the place has survived 70 years of embargo, due to its resourceful and determined people. No matter what happens, they press on. They make due with next to nothing, and appreciate everything. 
edit. 60 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It’s the people who make Cuba. The history is there but the place has survived 70 years of embargo, due to its resourceful and determined people. No matter what happens, they press on. They make due with next to nothing, and appreciate everything. 
edit. 60 years. 

It just worries me a little. The thought of floods of Americans looking for cheap holiday in "Exotic" place.

30 years on, you get the equivalent of the British "suntan with your fish and chips" tours. (Spain and Greece)

There's an argument that says the Commies in Cuba preserve that which the tourist finds charming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

You are obviously Blind and Stupid.

Yea, my son, 27, and grand daughter, only 1.5 yr old, will be paying that off to China for their whole lives. Lets add in the new 3T the dipshits want to borrow too. Maybe we will just Sell the USA to China to pay off the debt.

Where the FUCK does this money come from? There is not that much money in the world we are borrowing.

Democrats and GOP are so fucked up. Where are the Moderates?

You are miserable.  Just end it now, it's going to be a long 4 years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

It just worries me a little. The thought of floods of Americans looking for cheap holiday in "Exotic" place.

30 years on, you get the equivalent of the British "suntan with your fish and chips" tours. (Spain and Greece)

There's an argument that says the Commies in Cuba preserve that which the tourist finds charming.

The govt soaks up all it can get, that’s why they allow the shadow economy. It’s that private economy that keeps the peace. Otherwise they can’t feed everyone. 
 

Cuba is special for us because we have not been allowed to go there, and because of the history we have from before the revolution. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The govt soaks up all it can get, that’s why they allow the shadow economy. It’s that private economy that keeps the peace. Otherwise they can’t feed everyone. 
 

Cuba is special for us because we have not been allowed to go there, and because of the history we have from before the revolution. 

I think Biden will fix it like Obama did, hopefully for good.  The guy has a lot of shit to deal with.  Only idiots like the elk above don't see that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been in office over two months now and there are still problems he hasn't fixed.

Worst POTUS ever.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

I think Biden will fix it like Obama did, hopefully for good.  The guy has a lot of shit to deal with.  Only idiots like the elk above don't see that.

I get that there is much on his plate, but this is an easy one. He’s supposed to be reversing a bunch of Trump’s executive orders. Trump screwed up Cuba policy by Exec order. All it will take is a one sentence order. “Executive Order XX is rescinded.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I get that there is much on his plate, but this is an easy one. He’s supposed to be reversing a bunch of Trump’s executive orders. Trump screwed up Cuba policy by Exec order. All it will take is a one sentence order. “Executive Order XX is rescinded.”

C'mon bullshitter. :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Turrible place.  Just turrible.  One downside is that they have converted seemingly every vehicle to diesel, so the whole place reeks of burning oil at all times. On the other hand...

161274396_4540107032672596_3030545677964

Link to post
Share on other sites

WaPo re Biden presser: "They never laid a glove on Biden; they did, however, make the case for why these events are an utter waste of the president’s time."

Link to post
Share on other sites

He cleared a very,  very low bar - that it wasn't a burning down the outhouse shit show like the previous guy's is hardly the same as being great. 

 

That said,  I'll take it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

He cleared a very,  very low bar - that it wasn't a burning down the outhouse shit show like the previous guy's is hardly the same as being great. 

 

That said,  I'll take it. 

Not a single “you are fake news”.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

WaPo re Biden presser: "They never laid a glove on Biden; they did, however, make the case for why these events are an utter waste of the president’s time."

I feel that the Single-Flush toilet Caucus was ignored at this so-called press conference.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Biden did an excellent job of looking like a competent executive at today's press conference.

He had a good command of the information,made no gaffes,  had  control of the room and did not set himself on fire or tell multiple lies.

I give him a 10.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have felt better about the presser if Biden had repeatedly assured us he is a genius, totally honest, knows more about xxx than anyone, and that many people have been complementing him on a great great truly fantastic job. As it is I'm left without a solid opinion.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2021 at 12:02 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Not a single “you are fake news”.  

You know what?   

If President Biden HAD,  in fact gone after a Faux News 'reporter' with an unhinged pack of lies attack, like his predecessor had,  I'd have given him a one-time pass on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 1:51 PM, billy backstay said:

 

Do you bring greenbacks with you, or is that frowned upon?  And, does one need to speak Spanish?

Yes, but you have to spend it discretely to individuals.  I've purchased art that way.  And there is a dollar limit per day. There are two currencies in Cuba, the convertible CUC pegged to the dollar and the CUP which is the Cuban peso and non-convertible.  The best path is to go to a currency exchange and trade your dollars for CUC.  Then you are good to go.

As far as Spanish goes, you are never going to learn to speak it as fast as a Cuban.  But many speak English and have family in the US.  I visited one kindergarten where the kids greeted us in Spanish, English, French and Japanese.  Smart little buggers.  I also had a conversation with a teenage kid who was studying to be a large animal vet and wanted to know if that was a good job over here.

 

Let's get the vaccination program, the stimulus, the infrastructure program, the judges, the climate accord, and voting rights dealt with and then say "Hi" to our friendly neighbors to the south.  Needs to be done, but Biden is writing off Florida if he does it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Yes, but you have to spend it discretely to individuals.  I've purchased art that way.  And there is a dollar limit per day. There are two currencies in Cuba, the convertible CUC pegged to the dollar and the CUP which is the Cuban peso and non-convertible.  The best path is to go to a currency exchange and trade your dollars for CUC.  Then you are good to go.

As far as Spanish goes, you are never going to learn to speak it as fast as a Cuban.  But many speak English and have family in the US.  I visited one kindergarten where the kids greeted us in Spanish, English, French and Japanese.  Smart little buggers.  I also had a conversation with a teenage kid who was studying to be a large animal vet and wanted to know if that was a good job over here.

 

Let's get the vaccination program, the stimulus, the infrastructure program, the judges, the climate accord, and voting rights dealt with and then say "Hi" to our friendly neighbors to the south.  Needs to be done, but Biden is writing off Florida if he does it.  

They just nixed the CUC within the last couple of months. 

Biden won't have Florida either way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

They just nixed the CUC within the last couple of months. 

Biden won't have Florida either way. 

May as well saw it off and kick it adrift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

They just nixed the CUC within the last couple of months. 

Biden won't have Florida either way. 

I wonder why they did that?  Are they going to be pegging it to the Euro now?  Or stabilizing the peso.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I wonder why they did that?  Are they going to be pegging it to the Euro now?  Or stabilizing the peso.

Not sure why, but pegging it to the dollar, at 24 pesos per dollar.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-11/cuba-to-end-dual-currency-system-from-january-in-crisis-reform

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

So that's basically the old rate for the peso.  Probably saving a fair bit of money with only the one currency and perhaps avoiding a fair bit of currency shenanigans.  And a remnant of "colonialism".

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Left Shift said:

May well be mostly underwater by 2050 anyway.  

How?

Climate change is a hoax - ask a Floriduhn

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Left Shift said:

May well be mostly underwater by 2050 anyway.  

By then, the folks who brought us the rising waters will have been bailed out by the taxpayers, to cover the loss of their beachfront property, because the Best Americans cannot be left holding their own sack. They are entitled to have their losses covered by the masses because Capitalism. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Biden is a machine.  His bold infrastructure plan is going to transform America and he’s going to pay for it which is refreshing.

The ROI is going to be huge.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/30/biden-infrastructure-plan-white-house-unveils-economic-recovery-proposal.html

If this passes I can foresee a bunch of old timers (like myself) sitting around the hiring hall with a wound somewhere on their face.

It works like this: old timer takes a dispatch to go out & tie some bar, at some time shortly after their pliers slip off the wire & strikes them in the face, noticed this first hand back in the 80s when reinforcing work was hot & heavy around here.

 

 

 

 

 

(Said old folks are back at the hall BTW not for the wound, but simply because they are too slow to keep up with the hands who made a career of tying re-bar.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The S&P closed over 4K today as Wall Street applauded Biden’s bold infrastructure plan (one that is incredibly popular with the American people).  Since his election the S&P is up 21%.  I boldly predicted a 4,800 close to end the year but it may well be 5K or higher.

Biden has the big Momentum.  So happy he’s our President.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Biden is shaping up to be a transformational president.  It’s early but he has a chance to be the most effective POTUS ever.

Just today he announced a panel to look at reforming the SCOTUS and that is against the backdrop of.

1) Ending the pandemic

2) Record stock market performance

3) Massive COVID relief directed to the middle class

4) A bold infrastructure plan that’s paid for!

5) Executive orders that introduce modest gun control laws.

6) expanding the majority in Congress as Republicans are forced to step aside due to sex crimes

7) Possibly nominating a liberal Justice to the SC in the near future.

8) Many other good things that I will save for a future post..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Asia dominates semiconductor manufacturing and current shortages demonstrate that’s a national security issue.

But not to worryBiden’s on it.

In February, Biden signed an executive order which involves a review of the semiconductor supply chain to identify risks. As part of a $2 trillion economic stimulus package, $50 billion was earmarked for semiconductor manufacturing and research. A bill known as the CHIPS for America Act is also working its way through the legislative process and aims to provide incentives to enable advanced research and development and secure the supply chain.

Meanwhile, U.S. firm Intel last month announced plans to spend $20 billion to build two new chip factories and said it will act as a foundry. This could offer a domestic alternative to the likes of TSMC and Samsung.

Best 3 months to start a presidency ever?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/12/us-semiconductor-policy-looks-to-cut-out-china-secure-supply-chain.html

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 8:42 PM, Fakenews said:

Oh forgot this...

The economy is set to Boom and it may be like nothing we’ve seen since 1984.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/09/the-economy-is-on-the-cusp-of-a-major-boom-and-economists-believe-it-could-last.html

The economy can do nothing but boom when you inject $2trillion.  Funny thing is the Trump economy didn't need $2trillion direct payment gubmint money to boom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, warbird said:

The economy can do nothing but boom when you inject $2trillion.  Funny thing is the Trump economy didn't need $2trillion direct payment gubmint money to boom.

Funny you don't understand numbers. Today you have screwed both the COVID death rate and the economic numbers. Trump's $2T trickle down "boom" had markedly slowed - pathetic 2% GDP - during 2019. That is pre-COVID in case you are having trouble with year numbering. 

Funny thing: Biden's spending was not intended to create a "boom" for the rentier class but rather to help households impacted by the pandemic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe may has the BigMo, but he cannot govern on EOs alone.  A smart idea to push the things that large majorities of the public support.  But the Dems really have got to start prepping for the mid-terms.  We all know the history of what happens to POTUS’s party in the mid-terms.  The Dems have no room for error. They have to pick up a couple or three seats in the Senate so people like Manchin have less power.  A larger working majority in the House is not as critical but would give Speaker Pelosi more arrows in her quiver.

If Moscow Mitch becomes Majority Leader in ‘23, the game is all but over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2021 at 10:35 PM, warbird said:

The economy can do nothing but boom when you inject $2trillion.  Funny thing is the Trump economy didn't need $2trillion direct payment gubmint money to boom.

Funny thing, > 2 trillion in tax cuts for bazillionaires is a "direct injection" and it created economic growth almost as good as the Obama economy

image.png.bc76a74931637934def2de0578f19fb0.png

Numbers 'n facts

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:

Joe may has the BigMo, but he cannot govern on EOs alone.  A smart idea to push the things that large majorities of the public support.  But the Dems really have got to start prepping for the mid-terms.  We all know the history of what happens to POTUS’s party in the mid-terms.  The Dems have no room for error. They have to pick up a couple or three seats in the Senate so people like Manchin have less power.  A larger working majority in the House is not as critical but would give Speaker Pelosi more arrows in her quiver.

If Moscow Mitch becomes Majority Leader in ‘23, the game is all but over.

All true but the unrelenting good economic news should offset the GOP’s efforts to suppress the vote as well as Gerrymandering 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

All true but the unrelenting good economic news should offset the GOP’s efforts to suppress the vote as well as Gerrymandering 

Absolutely! Stacy Abrams and her crowd need to do all they can to assure a huge Dem turnout in places where Senate and House seats can be protected and picked up. Warnock in GA and defeat Johnson or whoever succeeds him in WI as 2 examples.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Absolutely! Stacy Abrams and her crowd need to do all they can to assure a huge Dem turnout in places where Senate and House seats can be protected and picked up. Warnock in GA and defeat Johnson or whoever succeeds him in WI as 2 examples.

How does someone as stupid as Ron Johnson get elected in the first place? 

 

 

I'm sorry, I had an attack of idiocy there. I forgot about Republican voters. 

 

Marjorie_Greene_on_Unite_America_First.j

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, SloopJonB said:

We had a similar situation here years ago.

Trudeau the Greater was asked his opinion of his #2, Jean Chretien.

His reply was "He knows his limitations"

Years later Chretien became one of our most effective PM's ever.

Did he really need a security detail?

r/canada - Jean Chrétien, 1993 - 2003.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

How does someone as stupid as Ron Johnson get elected in the first place? 

 

 

I'm sorry, I had an attack of idiocy there. I forgot about Republican voters. 

 

Marjorie_Greene_on_Unite_America_First.j

Stupidity explains a lot. But in his case other variables at play.  He didn’t announce his candidacy until much less than a year before the election.  He was a total unknown.  No political history to refer to. Sold himself as a self-made businessman.  Truth was he married the boss’s daughter and his father-in-law was the largest single customer of Johnson’s business for several years.

Throw in that he was first elected in 2010, the year of the Tea party.  He was re-elected in 2016 when TFG won Wisconsin.

I still cannot fathom how he beat Russ Feingold twice.  Truly one of the good days in my estimation.

He is vulnerable in ‘22 but he has not yet said if he will seek a 3rd term.  Like many of the Tea Party adherents, he promised to term limit himself.  But once they got a taste of power and PAC money they soon recanted. Johnson originally said 2 terms was it for him but he soon got off of that train.  And the Dems need to come up with a candidate who can appeal to voters outside of Madison and Milwaukee.  The former Democrat OzaukeeCounty Exec (a reliably red area) has made overtures to run.  Right now, he might be their best chance.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Putin?

Xi?

 

11 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

No buzz.  They are Joe’s bitch.  

Are you saying Biden owns Putin and Xi?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Are you saying Biden owns Putin and Xi?

 

No, they are merely wallowing in his wake as he gets (good) shit done. Best 100 days to start a presidency ever.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Stupidity explains a lot. But in his case other variables at play.  He didn’t announce his candidacy until much less than a year before the election.  He was a total unknown.  No political history to refer to. Sold himself as a self-made businessman.  Truth was he married the boss’s daughter and his father-in-law was the largest single customer of Johnson’s business for several years.

Throw in that he was first elected in 2010, the year of the Tea party.  He was re-elected in 2016 when TFG won Wisconsin.

I still cannot fathom how he beat Russ Feingold twice.  Truly one of the good days in my estimation.

He is vulnerable in ‘22 but he has not yet said if he will seek a 3rd term.  Like many of the Tea Party adherents, he promised to term limit himself.  But once they got a taste of power and PAC money they soon recanted. Johnson originally said 2 terms was it for him but he soon got off of that train.  And the Dems need to come up with a candidate who can appeal to voters outside of Madison and Milwaukee.  The former Democrat OzaukeeCounty Exec (a reliably red area) has made overtures to run.  Right now, he might be their best chance.

 

 

 

 

Johnson is a smart guy.  You don't like his politics of success, fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites