Offshore GPS Tracker Suggestions?

We need a new tracker for our boat.  We've had a Xaxero SkyEye on it since 2008, which worked great, but it has finally shit the bed, and they don't make them anymore.  Wondering if anyone has suggestions on a new Iridium based GPS tracker that can automatically ping a position to a website every hour.  The old one had an integral battery and solar panel, so we could just bolt it to the stern arch - ideally would like the new one to be similarly independent of the boat's power supply.

Yellow Brick, Redport XTracker, any others I should be considering, any experiences with them?

Looking for family and friends to view.  We already have a Go - do you know if the GO can be set to automatically send updates, or does it need to be triggered manually?  Ideal would be something that can just go and do its thing without any human interaction, and ideally be independently powered from boat - the GO would be OK, but ideal is also that it keeps pinging even if boat has some sort of issues with its own batteries.

The Iridium Go has a lithium battery but it doesn't last long. Maybe 12 hours. I have ours plugged into a usb outlet that is powered by the house batteries.

For sharing your position or track  you can pair it with predictwind which gives you a website like this https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/Totem

SPOT also has trackers that are similar but I'm not aware of any that are indepently powered.

I've got a SPOTX B - the one with the keyboard and two way comms and it just pings away every 10 minutes and lasts a good 10 hours.

Pings go off to the website for people to be able to track you and you can change the pings to every 30 mins or even an hour to massively extend the battery life.

I'm just about to set mine up with a USB lead wired into my portable power bank which I'm guessing will give it a weeks worth of juice quite readily and keeping it in a watertight phone bag with the lead coming in through the bottom with loads of goop around the cable and I also put on some roofing repair tape like this stuff:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bostik-flashband-grey-10m-x-100mm/57969?tc=LB6&ds_kid=92700058021678352&ds_rl=1249407&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CjwKCAjw3pWDBhB3EiwAV1c5rLWBs21EsNULqITMWJRgBDkGNxwFIQCnviZksKfVMZtb3RWMx9IrIxoC-mMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll see if the signal still works ok inside there shortly and report back, but assuming it will then good to go.

We will still have easy access to the SOS function etc, just need to find a mountain bike waterproof case that it fits into snugly.

I've used the goop and roof tape on my phone in a mounted case for years and had no issues at all with it. The lead goes off to my powerbank or fixed battery depending on what boat I'm in. The mounting ensure it is always hanging down and I've never had any water ingress issues.

17 minutes ago, Adventure Trimarans said:

...keeping it in a watertight phone bag with the lead coming in through the bottom with loads of goop around the cable and I also put on some roofing repair tape like this stuff:

I've used the goop and roof tape on my phone in a mounted case for years and had no issues at all with it. The lead goes off to my powerbank or fixed battery depending on what boat I'm in. The mounting ensure it is always hanging down and I've never had any water ingress issues.

Have you tried something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyMAX-Super-Fast-Wireless-Compatible-USB-Black/dp/B08GKQZDJZ

These look like a good solution to waterproofing, assuming they work OK through the bag (they are OK through a normal phone case, so I don't see why not).

If you've tried and they don't work, please let us know.

Cheers,

W.

I did look at using one of my wireless chargers but as you still need the cable to connect to the power source it makes no real difference.

It was a bit annoying to keep the phone close to the charger plate as keeping it vertical to help with keeping any water out made it quite awkward.

I tried strong elastic bands and it was kind of ok but then made taking it out of the bag annoying and meant I couldn't use the screen as the band interfered.

If I could find a case that both would fit in very snugly it without the band it might be useful but don't find a real problem with the current set up.

In addition it still works really well to connect to the waterproof speakers via bluetooth so we can have radio/music on quite happily.

• Like 1