I have seen a lot of J105 are sailing with a genoa about 40 m2.

so the configuration I would like to try I think has to be an option to consider.

not sure about the mast settings and the double backstay if it will work

1 hour ago, Francisco Laguna said:

105 backstays get caught on the leech of the class main in light air.  How would you solve the issue with a square top?  the boat really isnt set up to have split backstays.

Thats why I am asking!

thought to do a similar system as the sf3300

If you're planning to race in PHRF, you'll likely pay a high penalty for the experiment. Whereas going to a large Genoa, at least you know in advance what the hit will be and can evaluate if it's worth it.

Talk to @Alaris

64520F7D-BEDC-459D-8284-5F4235DAF519.jpeg

"Carbon Hall rig 7’ taller than stock, masthead (136m2) and fractional (89m2) kites 

7’ keel (looks like a J/125 without as long a trailing edge on the bulb)

Carbon/GRP rudder (looks like a J/111)

155% genoa

500lb lighter than a stock boat"

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Talk to @Alaris

"Carbon Hall rig 7’ taller than stock, masthead (136m2) and fractional (89m2) kites 

155% genoa

They use more sail upwind! I think that boat works well under PHRF

33EB64FD-AB0B-47C1-8B1A-DB2F689B2975.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snowden said:

Talk to @Alaris

155% genoa

Shit at that point might as well just buy a J/125.   There is one for sail in SF.   

1 hour ago, IMR said:

Shit at that point might as well just buy a J/125.   There is one for sail in SF.   

which one?

2 hours ago, ASP said:

which one?

the silver boat, ex double trouble.   Its been listed since 2018, they dropped pricing to $280K in 2019 I would bet it could be had for less.  Need new sails, only sails that are race serviceable are a newer A2 and a MHG(Screecher) all other sails are from 2016 and older.  

http://www.sailcal.com/boats-for-sale/1999-j-boats-j-125-j-125-alameda-california-6870091/

57 minutes ago, IMR said:

the silver boat, ex double trouble.   Its been listed since 2018, they dropped pricing to $280K in 2019 I would bet it could be had for less.  Need new sails, only sails that are race serviceable are a newer A2 and a MHG(Screecher) all other sails are from 2016 and older.  

http://www.sailcal.com/boats-for-sale/1999-j-boats-j-125-j-125-alameda-california-6870091/

Going once, going twice, gone.

"Price: $280,000 (Sale Pending)"

• Like 1

The difference in budget between a J/125 and our program is several orders of magnitude. 

Can’t really speak to a square top on the stock rig, as ours is a custom rig. Sounds like an interesting idea. I’d be interested to see what comes of it!

• Like 1
On 3/23/2021 at 1:37 PM, IMR said:

The boat was built well before the J/125 existed, 1992-1994 if I recall correctly. The story is here on SA somewhere. It was kind of risky taking a new one design class boat (at the time) and modifying it, but I guess the guy got exactly what he wanted tat didn't exist in stock form at that time.

• Like 1

Whelp, let's see. You'll move the COE aft creating more weather helm, you'll create a reason for PHRF to change the rating, you'll take yourself out of the whole reason to have a J105 (OD racing) and you won't be able to tack or gybe (in main roach vs standing rod backstay, backstay wins every time)

There are lots of PHRF orphans that are already set up for square top mains if that's what you're into. Boats that go a lot faster than a J105

• Like 1
On 3/23/2021 at 3:39 PM, glass said:

Going once, going twice, gone.

"Price: $280,000 (Sale Pending)"

Sounds like is sold and is going to SoCal.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:27 AM, USA 5184 said:

The boat was built well before the J/125 existed, 1992-1994 if I recall correctly. The story is here on SA somewhere. It was kind of risky taking a new one design class boat (at the time) and modifying it, but I guess the guy got exactly what he wanted tat didn't exist in stock form at that time.

You nailed it. Hull 99, 1994 build. 

1 hour ago, Alaris said:

You nailed it. Hull 99, 1994 build. 

Where is the SA write up. Would like to read it some day. 

1 minute ago, IMR said:

Where is the SA write up. Would like to read it some day. 

No write up, just a post here and there about her. 

You might be able to put a flicker on the backstay, but risk breaking the mast in a gybe.
It's a fractional rig, so damaging or breaking off the top section of the mast might be an issue.  
A genoa and larger kites will give you an improved performance and a known factor at a much lower cost.    

On 4/4/2021 at 12:52 PM, Alaris said:

No write up, just a post here and there about her. 

You guys do anything to the sprit or is it still stock?

I had the same thought about the COE as @some dude. In addition the extra sail area aloft could really screw you in heavier air, remember the wind is greater aloft and sails tend to be cut deeper up top. It might be a winner in light air I would think assuming you can solve all the other issues. You really need to have a long talk with your sail designer. I think much of the motivation for square top is not so much increased sail area as it is reduced drag (elliptical shapes are much more efficient). I think I would pass on this.