Jump to content

Average Americans in Public???


Recommended Posts

Why do most Americans dress like crap when out in public? 

I took the ferry from Patriot Point, to Fort Sumter, in Charleston Bay this afternoon, something that I have been wanting to do for several years, and the timing finally worked out.  I wore a pair of Old Navy khakis and pink Polo shirt, both from clearance sale racks. 

As I was the last person rejoining the ferry, departing the island, the Park Ranger commented, "You are dressed better than most of your fellow traveller's, where are you from?"  I told him CT, and we had a brief and enjoyable conversation.  He has family and friends in Fairfield county, and served in Newport, either in the CG or Navy, not sure which. I told him my wife and I met in Newport during the 83 Cup Races, and then we discussed the tax differentials between living in SC, vs. CT and some other brief topics. 

I normally wear jeans like everyone else, except when travelling by air, or visiting somewhere important to me, like a historic site, that I have respect for.  Am I that different?  This Park Ranger thought I was, just based upon my presentation.  Grandpa always told me, "fake it 'til you make it!".  Good advice, and it has served me well.......

 

EDIT... After learning  the real history of Fort Sumter, much of which I did not know, I must stop at nearby Fort Moultre before we leave on Thursday, where there is over a hundred years of local nautical and  civil war history, whereas Fort Sumter only covers around 6 years....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all have our embarrassments....

I caught the tail end of the age when people used to dress to fly. Now it seems like a contest to see who can look the absolute shittiest. Unless I'm flying to the desert in the summer, I always

I agree. I am saddened there is no pride in people. The plane has turned into the bus.  My wife is always a little proud of me when we are across the pond and I am mistaken for a local. I was onc

Posted Images

ain't only 'mericans sadly.

don't start me on singlets in restaurants or on planes .....................

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"singlets"? is that Aussie for "wife beater"

never mind.. just googled it LOL

 

 

Billy, it wasn't all that long ago that people used to get dressed up to get on a plane. coat and tie etc....

people dress better on a greyhound bus now than in airports

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A hell of a lot of people don't grasp the distinction between "casual" and "slob".

I blame Walmart.

Pin on weird people of walmartPEOPLE OF WALMART | 2 - YouTubeWave The Flag - People Of Walmart : People Of Walmart

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Navig8tor said:

In Aussie this is called a singlet, NZ too.

image.jpeg.45a8119344fc0b5347cd4380c057788f.jpeg

 

That's a "wife beater" t-shirt in the states....

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

"singlets"? is that Aussie for "wife beater"

proud history .

sheep-shearers-work-in-a-shed-near-the-n

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Why do most Americans dress like crap when out in public? 

Notheng lookes goode on a fatte bodey.........       juste sayeng............                  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

As I was the last person rejoining the ferry, departing the island, the Park Ranger commented, "You are dressed better than most of your fellow traveller's, where are you from?"  I told him CT, and we had a brief and enjoyable conversation.  He has family and friends in Fairfield county, and served in Newport, either in the CG or Navy, not sure which. I told him my wife and I met in Newport during the 83 Cup Races, and then we discussed the tax differentials between living in SC, vs. CT and some other brief topics. 

I normally wear jeans like everyone else, except when travelling by air, or visiting somewhere important to me, like a historic site, that I have respect for.  Am I that different?  This Park Ranger thought I was, just based upon my presentation.  Grandpa always told me, "fake it 'til you make it!".  Good advice, and it has served me well.......

I thick he wase hitteng on you..........          juste sayeng............              :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I must stop at nearby Fort Moultre before we leave on Thursday, where there is over a hundred years of local nautical and  civil war history, whereas Fort Sumter only covers around 6 years....

Coolle uniformes on displaye, nice littelle museume theire...........              :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

Notheng lookes goode on a fatte bodey.........       juste sayeng............                  :)

 

Yes there were the usual very few overfed Americans, but there were more young, well built, good looking men and women, and families, than I expected. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I thick he wase hitteng on you..........          juste sayeng............              :)

 

Don't think so, much younger, good looking.  If he was looking for a hook-up, I would be the last geezer on his list!! :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

Don't think so, much younger, good looking.  If he was looking for a hook-up, I would be the last geezer on his list!! :lol:

Dointe selle yourselfe shorte theire BB.................                    :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I thick he wase hitteng on you..........          juste sayeng............              :)

Those pink Polo shirts may just be throwing off a certain vibe.  It's the tiny little horsey, I think.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Left Shift said:
9 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I thick he wase hitteng on you..........          juste sayeng............              :)

Those pink Polo shirts may just be throwing off a certain vibe.  It's the tiny little horsey stallione, I think.

fixte foire you.  'Horsey' sondes to innocentte...........            :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I flew through Phoenix once. Frightening. Duck Dynasty type dude in frayed cut off jeans, wife beater with Foghorn Leghorn on the front (with stains), dime store flip flops and a plastic bag from the market as his carry on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Al Paca said:

I flew through Phoenix once. Frightening. Duck Dynasty type dude in frayed cut off jeans, wife beater with Foghorn Leghorn on the front (with stains), dime store flip flops and a plastic bag from the market as his carry on.  

Dossentte sonde licke the Parke Rangeres type..........              :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. I am saddened there is no pride in people. The plane has turned into the bus. 

My wife is always a little proud of me when we are across the pond and I am mistaken for a local. I was once asked in Athens if I spoke English. Considered it a win

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Dointe selle yourselfe shorte theire BB.................                    :)

or maybe he was trying to get to the wife thru him!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Why do most Americans dress like crap when out in public? 

I took the ferry from Patriot Point, to Fort Sumter, in Charleston Bay this afternoon, something that I have been wanting to do for several years, and the timing finally worked out.  I wore a pair of Old Navy khakis and pink Polo shirt, both from clearance sale racks. 

As I was the last person rejoining the ferry, departing the island, the Park Ranger commented, "You are dressed better than most of your fellow traveller's, where are you from?"  I told him CT, and we had a brief and enjoyable conversation.  He has family and friends in Fairfield county, and served in Newport, either in the CG or Navy, not sure which. I told him my wife and I met in Newport during the 83 Cup Races, and then we discussed the tax differentials between living in SC, vs. CT and some other brief topics. 

I normally wear jeans like everyone else, except when travelling by air, or visiting somewhere important to me, like a historic site, that I have respect for.  Am I that different?  This Park Ranger thought I was, just based upon my presentation.  Grandpa always told me, "fake it 'til you make it!".  Good advice, and it has served me well.......

 

EDIT... After learning  the real history of Fort Sumter, much of which I did not know, I must stop at nearby Fort Moultre before we leave on Thursday, where there is over a hundred years of local nautical and  civil war history, whereas Fort Sumter only covers around 6 years....

I always dress like I'm going to be photographed in  fiery wreck when traveling. (Khakis, underwear, decent shirt, sometimes  socks, and shoes).

 While you're in Charleston, look up "Edmund Ruffin".... My wife's G-G- grandfather. Theoretically fired the first shot at Ft. Sumpter, although that's highly questionable. He was a pretty well known agricultural pioneer though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that it would have stopped the backslide of fashion in public that now has PJ's as acceptable, I wonder if Airlines are partly to blame.

Air travel has now devolved to something less than the city bus.  It dirty, uncomfortable, slow and undignified.   First class may be better, but only slightly.  

That said... back when the world was black and white, it had to have been easier.

Slacks/trousers/pants, coat, button up shirt and hat.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I always dress like I'm going to be photographed in  fiery wreck when traveling. (Khakis, underwear, decent shirt, sometimes  socks, and shoes).

 While you're in Charleston, look up "Edmund Ruffin".... My wife's G-G- grandfather. Theoretically fired the first shot at Ft. Sumpter, although that's highly questionable. He was a pretty well known agricultural pioneer though.

 

Highly questionable indeed!   There are many stories.   I prefer to believe the tale I was told by the Park Rangers at the Fort today, but I did not take notes, to remember the name......  IIRC, it was a Union soldier who fired the first shot, shortly before they safely retreated from Fort Sumter, before the Union reinforcements arrived from New York.  Had they not honorably taken down their flag, and surrendered the Fort, with dignity, they would have been slaughtered.  And Kudos to the Union for allowing them to leave unharmed, before they took over the Fort.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Why do most Americans dress like crap when out in public? 

I took the ferry from Patriot Point, to Fort Sumter, in Charleston Bay this afternoon, something that I have been wanting to do for several years, and the timing finally worked out.  I wore a pair of Old Navy khakis and pink Polo shirt, both from clearance sale racks. 

As I was the last person rejoining the ferry, departing the island, the Park Ranger commented, "You are dressed better than most of your fellow traveller's, where are you from?"  I told him CT, and we had a brief and enjoyable conversation.  He has family and friends in Fairfield county, and served in Newport, either in the CG or Navy, not sure which. I told him my wife and I met in Newport during the 83 Cup Races, and then we discussed the tax differentials between living in SC, vs. CT and some other brief topics. 

I normally wear jeans like everyone else, except when travelling by air, or visiting somewhere important to me, like a historic site, that I have respect for.  Am I that different?  This Park Ranger thought I was, just based upon my presentation.  Grandpa always told me, "fake it 'til you make it!".  Good advice, and it has served me well.......

 

EDIT... After learning  the real history of Fort Sumter, much of which I did not know, I must stop at nearby Fort Moultre before we leave on Thursday, where there is over a hundred years of local nautical and  civil war history, whereas Fort Sumter only covers around 6 years....

Fort Moultre is a much better park. Have things all the way up to WW2 and in much better shape. Just don't get the boat ride. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Notheng lookes goode on a fatte bodey.........       juste sayeng............                  :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, burndoc said:

I agree. I am saddened there is no pride in people. The plane has turned into the bus. 

My wife is always a little proud of me when we are across the pond and I am mistaken for a local. I was once asked in Athens if I spoke English. Considered it a win

Don't get me started on American tourists in Europe.  After more than 20 years of living here, it's downright embarrassing to see some of my countrymen out in public.  You can hear them before you see them, and many of them are dressed like fat slobs.  Bellies hanging out from under t-shirts (men and women), socks with sandals and all manner of slovenly attire.  Not all of them of course, but many.  And the Brits aren't any better.  A few years ago I went to a Fleetwood Mac concert in Berlin at a small outdoor venue.  I swear 3/4 of the audience had flown in from England.  After the show the majority of them were shitfaced drunk, loud, rude and belligerent.  A youngish woman and her friend were in front of us on the steep steps to go to the exits.  The one woman was yelling at her friend and every other word was fook or fooking.  They were staggering drunk and I was afraid one of them would fall back and send us all tumbling down the crowded steps like human dominoes.  It was a great concert but getting out of there was a nightmare.

I liven in blue jeans but they are clean and no rips or holes in them.  I try to blend in and other than my beloved Levi's 501 jeans, I usually buy clothes locally.  When I fly somewhere I wear khaki Dockers and a button shirt, and leather casual shoes.  I try to blend in and be polite, although at my height I tend to stand out no matter where I go.  When I lived in Korea and Japan, of course there was no way to blend in, but again, I tried to be polite, respectful, and as inconspicuous as possible.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Matt DI said:

Fort Moultre is a much better park. Have things all the way up to WW2 and in much better shape. Just don't get the boat ride. 

Yes I was there once, years ago, and plan to go back before we leave tomorrow.  I can walk there if i want, the beach house is a half a mile down the road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Nothing like the American tourist at Edinburgh Castle wearing a new kilt and a ten gallon hat...

At leaste hese wearreng somthinge undere it...........                       :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

"singlets"? is that Aussie for "wife beater"

never mind.. just googled it LOL

 

 

Billy, it wasn't all that long ago that people used to get dressed up to get on a plane. coat and tie etc....

people dress better on a greyhound bus now than in airports

Bi

My old boss made us fly (and we did alot)  in jackets and ties 'in case we bump into a customer' .  As a kid always a jacket and tie to see a show on Broadway.
Now they wear pajamas.  Same boss would send us home if we didnt come in to work with a plain white or light colored shirt.  No stripes, different collars, etc.
On the occasional screw up here was a place on the corner which would open at 0900 and we could buy a white shirt for about $8.  That guy sold us a lot of shirts.
Different times 

Chill out Billy. It isnt 'just 'Americans'.
    

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

My old boss made us fly (and we did alot)  in jackets and ties 'in case we bump into a customer' .  As a kid always a jacket and tie to see a show on Broadway.
Now they wear pajamas.  Same boss would send us home if we didnt come in to work with a plain white or light colored shirt.  No stripes, different collars, etc.
On the occasional screw up here was a place on the corner which would open at 0900 and we could buy a white shirt for about $8.  That guy sold us a lot of shirts.
Different times 

Chill out Billy. It isnt 'just 'Americans'.
    

 

I'm very Chill, Cristo! Especially after a weeks vacation in a warmer clime.  I just feel embarrassed that half or more of my countrymen, and women, feel okay wearing pajamas in public.  Good thing I don't live in a neighborhood, where I have to tell the neighbor kids to, "Get off my lawn!"..... :angry::P

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with BB on this one.  Maybe it's a sign of being old. 

As a former military officer, I was expected to be properly turned out at all times.  It's a habit that I can't or won't break.  

I think it also makes it difference in how I am treated in public.   Of course in a store or restaurant 'every customer is important' but the guy (or girl) dressed well might get a little extra attention.  I like that and appreciate it - and reciprocate.   Maybe that makes me a snob but I am ok with that.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A good buddy of mine worked for Arthur Anderson in the early 80s. A button down shirt and tie were required as was a hat. If working at a client site, lunch was required to be a sit-down restaurant with table service. No fast food, carry out, brown bag or self service allowed.

I'll wear jeans or shorts where it's appropriate, but visiting museums, flying, etc, it's a minimum slacks, polo shirt, boat shoes or loafers.

On our last trip to Cancun, my wife and I show up at the airport: she's wearing a pressed skirt, heels, a neat blouse and sweater; I'm business casual with topsiders. My brother in law and his wife meet us there. He's wearing sweat pants (a size too small) a ratty t-shirt and slippers. She's literally wearing flannel pajamas.

Of course, they fit in with the majority - we were the outliers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same trip:

We stayed at an all-inclusive resort and were warned that we would be expected to dress for dinner. The web site showed causally dressed people - men in khakis, women in dresses or slacks, etc. So I packed a bag with casual dress clothes and even included a blazer.

Imagine our surprise when we got there and the first night discovered that "dressing for dinner" simply meant not showing up at the restaurant in a bathing suit or barefoot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Nothing like the American tourist at Edinburgh Castle wearing a new kilt and a ten gallon hat...

Probably a 25 dollar kilt made in Pakistan.

 

If I go out to dinner with SWMBO, I'll probably be wearing a 8 yard Kilt, in the family tartan , accompanied by jacket, tie etc. , .  For a formal dinner I will wear  an Argyle jacket all silver buttons etc,  a Dress Kilt, Dress meaning "formal dress" has white back ground instead of say a  red background  a for the Stewart Tartan. .

I do have a suit, always used to wear it on flights, the company would book us into cattle class, but wearing a suit would give you more chance of an upgrade..  I wear the suit when required and the kilt would be out of place.

Sadly standards of dress have fallen, you only have to wander around any big city. to see those who haven't yet got dressed for the day, or think elasticated clothing and a backwards baseball cap is the height of fashion..

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Notheng lookes goode on a fatte bodey.........       juste sayeng............                  :)

Yes it does.

I was shopping with my daughter a few weeks ago and was amazed and proud of how many young women were dressing to compliment their curves. Fat shaming be dammed.

Curves to Kill...: Woodland Creature

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, billy backstay said:

As I was the last person rejoining the ferry, departing the island, the Park Ranger commented, "You are dressed better than most of your fellow traveller's, where are you from?"

Um BB, I think he might have been trying a line on ya :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bugsy said:

I'm with BB on this one.  Maybe it's a sign of being old. 

As a former military officer, I was expected to be properly turned out at all times.  It's a habit that I can't or won't break.  

I think it also makes it difference in how I am treated in public.   Of course in a store or restaurant 'every customer is important' but the guy (or girl) dressed well might get a little extra attention.  I like that and appreciate it - and reciprocate.   Maybe that makes me a snob but I am ok with that.  

The former military guys I know absolutely hate wearing anything like normal or business clothing.   They nearly all want out of any type of uniform.

20 years of wearing the same thing and they want color options and variety

All that said you may catch me getting the mail in sweats but that's about as far out of the house I will wear them.   Same for socks and sandals.  If you can wear sandles you don't need socks.

 

The problem with flying is that busses are more comfortable, Cleaner, etc.  Sleeping in a suit on a plane is uncomfortable at best.  

 

As for fashion someone made specific ripped jeans fashionable and it has been down hill since.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Um BB, I think he might have been trying a line on ya :D

 

Flattered that you lot think that, but not a chance!  It was interesting though; when we were all gathering around the other Ranger to hear the history story, he said into the PA to the the Ranger about to speak, People keep asking me about your other good looking Ranger...?? :wacko:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Windward said:

Not that it would have stopped the backslide of fashion in public that now has PJ's as acceptable, I wonder if Airlines are partly to blame.

Air travel has now devolved to something less than the city bus.  It dirty, uncomfortable, slow and undignified.   First class may be better, but only slightly.  

That said... back when the world was black and white, it had to have been easier.

Slacks/trousers/pants, coat, button up shirt and hat.

 

Grew up in the 70's and 80's so as a kid I remember doing this.  Vivid memories of flying to Europe in my damn "Flying clothes"  I think I was around 10.  Remember the "smoking section" and when you actually got real(albeit shitty) meals served to you on a plane.  Now, 50 yo grown ass man has to fly with headphones and a hoodie preferably on about my 3rd cocktail so I can just pass out and forget where I am.  Air travel has stagnated...  Maybe the double decker seat thing will make things better...  LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Yes it does.

I was shopping with my daughter a few weeks ago and was amazed and proud of how many young women were dressing to compliment their curves. Fat shaming be dammed.

Curves to Kill...: Woodland Creature

Sorry but that's not curves.  That's called obesity medically speaking.  Rationalize iot any way you like.  Heart disease and/or diabetes are in her future for sure.  There is no excuse for it, it wasn't like that not that long ago.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shaggy said:

Grew up in the 70's and 80's so as a kid I remember doing this.  Vivid memories of flying to Europe in my damn "Flying clothes"  I think I was around 10.  Remember the "smoking section" and when you actually got real(albeit shitty) meals served to you on a plane.  Now, 50 yo grown ass man has to fly with headphones and a hoodie preferably on about my 3rd cocktail so I can just pass out and forget where I am.  Air travel has stagnated...  Maybe the double decker seat thing will make things better...  LOL

Smoking section?  The first time I flew across the pond in 1970, the entire plane was the smoking section.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every plane with a smoking section was a smoking section. Same thing with bars and restaurants. Thankfully, those days are gone.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, IStream said:

Every plane with a smoking section was a smoking section. Same thing with bars and restaurants. Thankfully, those days are gone.

LOL.  Scuse me, I need to go to the smoking section....  Leaves seat, goes back 1 row, sits down lights up...  Good times...  LOL

Trip to NZ was, Get up, Go to the back of the bus, sit down shoot the shit with the rest of the dregs in the back, go back to seat.  Repeat every couple of hours until arrival.  

Yes that was a thing...  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Flying these days is so miserably uncomfortable that it's no surprise people don't dress up unless they are going straight to a business meeting from the airport.  When you are treated like cattle you dress for the barnyard.  Once on a flight the middle seat was taken by a scruffy guy in a sleeveless shirt.  Turned out to me a maritime guy who was conversant in classical philosophy, so you never know.  Some folks dress well and smell bad.  I can deal with folks dressed down better than those noisy or smelly or drunk.  That's redundant since drunk on a plane = noisy and smelly.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Flying these days is so miserably uncomfortable that it's no surprise people don't dress up unless they are going straight to a business meeting from the airport.  When you are treated like cattle you dress for the barnyard.  Once on a flight the middle seat was taken by a scruffy guy in a sleeveless shirt.  Turned out to me a maritime guy who was conversant in classical philosophy, so you never know.  Some folks dress well and smell bad.  I can deal with folks dressed down better than those noisy or smelly or drunk.  That's redundant since drunk on a plane = noisy and smelly.

Drunk smelly snakes on planes

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Al Paca said:

I flew through Phoenix once. Frightening. Duck Dynasty type dude in frayed cut off jeans, wife beater with Foghorn Leghorn on the front (with stains), dime store flip flops and a plastic bag from the market as his carry on.  

Both heading to the DNC ??

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Fat shaming be dammed.

You're right - these people should be proud of displaying their curves for the rest of us.

image.jpeg.f27c4be96675ad8ca001ad966f7e1fdf.jpegimage.jpeg.69dd864a1e9db264f9227e9770f5ae0a.jpegPeople Of Wal-Mart - 25 Scary Picsimage.jpeg.a584a12a6596e59b9b8f5f5f3913a1fe.jpegEnrique D. Nuñez Walmart email: Miami official mocks Walmart's 'typical  customers' in offensive email that was leaked as the mega-retailer pushes  to build store in city center | Daily Mail OnlineThe 68 Funniest People of Walmart Pictures of All TimeCreate meme "fat Granny, fat grandma humor, People of Walmart" - Pictures -  Meme-arsenal.comEnrique D. Nuñez Walmart email: Miami official mocks Walmart's 'typical  customers' in offensive email that was leaked as the mega-retailer pushes  to build store in city center | Daily Mail OnlinePeople of Walmart – More Pics of Weird, Crazy, & Fat Americans!! - Paperblog

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at old pics of hockey and ball games; don’t get me wrong, the full getup at a baseball game in particular  may have been a bit over the top but yeah, things have changed. And the phat phucks must have stayed home the days when public event pics were taken pre-70’s, very few to be seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You fellas can go on congratulating yourselves for your always dapper attire. I'm all about comfort and don't really care who is impressed by me when I go to the grocery store or a Civil War fort. 

I'm in shorts and birks most of the time these days. It it's cool, I'll throw on a fleece and <gasp!> pull on a pair of socks.  When it warms up later in the day, the socks come off and go in a pocket or backpack. 

Covid has stopped all business travel for me since last March. I used to fly every week. And even when I did, I dressed for comfort in jeans and an untucked polo, or trackpants and quarter zip athletic top on longer flights.  When I fly internationally, I exclusively wear athlesuire attire, even in business class. I want to sleep and wearing regular clothes is too uncomfortable.

I haven't worn a necktie since my stepfather's funeral three years ago. 

I have not had a haircut in 5 months and haven't shaved in three weeks. My wife kind of digs my feral look, and if she's happy, I'm happy! 

I'm clean and I don't wear anything inappropriate. If I'm on the boat out to Fort Sumter you'll probably see me in shorts, birks, and Braves baseball t-shirt like I'm wearing right now. (Although last time I was there, I was wearing a BSA scoutmaster uniform...)

Wow this sounds like a rant. It kind of is I suppose, but it's not intended to be mean. All I'm saying is maybe it's best to keep our judgements about other people to ourselves. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Why do most Americans dress like crap when out in public? 

I took the ferry from Patriot Point, to Fort Sumter, in Charleston Bay this afternoon, something that I have been wanting to do for several years, and the timing finally worked out.  I wore a pair of Old Navy khakis and pink Polo shirt, both from clearance sale racks. 

As I was the last person rejoining the ferry, departing the island, the Park Ranger commented, "You are dressed better than most of your fellow traveller's, where are you from?"  I told him CT, and we had a brief and enjoyable conversation.  He has family and friends in Fairfield county, and served in Newport, either in the CG or Navy, not sure which. I told him my wife and I met in Newport during the 83 Cup Races, and then we discussed the tax differentials between living in SC, vs. CT and some other brief topics. 

I normally wear jeans like everyone else, except when travelling by air, or visiting somewhere important to me, like a historic site, that I have respect for.  Am I that different?  This Park Ranger thought I was, just based upon my presentation.  Grandpa always told me, "fake it 'til you make it!".  Good advice, and it has served me well.......

 

EDIT... After learning  the real history of Fort Sumter, much of which I did not know, I must stop at nearby Fort Moultre before we leave on Thursday, where there is over a hundred years of local nautical and  civil war history, whereas Fort Sumter only covers around 6 years....

 

get off of my lawn.jpg

 

and "Fort Moultrie is temporarily closed."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

image.png.0a3ed24a83c487a728b725edb097ba40.png

LOL. I have a nice 7 yard kilt of a tartan appropriate to my ancestors, but would not occur to me to bring it to Scotland.  Would be like someone packing a kimono and a katana for a trip to Japan.  I would consider wearing my Lucchese ostrich skin boots in Texas, but I don't want to cram them in my carryon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

   I would consider wearing my Lucchese ostrich skin boots in Texas, but I don't want to cram them in my carryon.

it's funny, not as many wear boots anymore in the last 25 years in the metroplex,  there used to be a ton of "boot" stores, not so many now..   i guess the idea of "exotic" skins has fallen by the wayside   best boots I had were sharkskin,  wouldn't buy them again.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

If I'm on the boat out to Fort Sumter you'll probably see me in shorts, birks, and Braves baseball t-shirt like I'm wearing right now. (Although last time I was there, I was wearing a BSA scoutmaster uniform...)

Didde the parke rangere hitte on you to?                                             :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

LOL. I have a nice 7 yard kilt of a tartan appropriate to my ancestors, but would not occur to me to bring it to Scotland.  Would be like someone packing a kimono and a katana for a trip to Japan.  I would consider wearing my Lucchese ostrich skin boots in Texas, but I don't want to cram them in my carryon.

Anybody that owns Luchese ostrich boots and a 7 yard kilt isn't going to get my sympathy about flying in the cattle class.  Pony up the extra money and go first class in the US and business overseas.  At my age, my physical condition and my height I'm not flying in the cheap seat ever again.  A round trip ticket form Berlin to Cleveland, OH in premium economy or super premium economy is between $1,200 and $1,500.  And all you get for that is an earlier boarding and a little more leg room, and for the higher amount, a little wider seat. For $3,000 I can fly in business and get 2 checked bags 60 pounds each, a lie flat bed that I can actually lay down on as long as I don't move once I'm flat and way better treatment all around.  Plus a nice lounge with free everything in the big airports.  To me it's a no brainer.  I have been flying since 1970, across the Atlantic a shit ton of times and across the Pacific a lot of times.  Until the mid 1990s it was tolerable.  Nowadays it's ridiculous flying coach.  I'm too old for that shit and for a trip every couple of years, I'll pay the extra money, it's well worth it to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Anybody that owns Luchese ostrich boots and a 7 yard kilt isn't going to get my sympathy about flying in the cattle class.  Pony up the extra money and go first class in the US and business overseas.  At my age, my physical condition and my height I'm not flying in the cheap seat ever again.  A round trip ticket form Berlin to Cleveland, OH in premium economy or super premium economy is between $1,200 and $1,500.  And all you get for that is an earlier boarding and a little more leg room, and for the higher amount, a little wider seat. For $3,000 I can fly in business and get 2 checked bags 60 pounds each, a lie flat bed that I can actually lay down on as long as I don't move once I'm flat and way better treatment all around.  Plus a nice lounge with free everything in the big airports.  To me it's a no brainer.  I have been flying since 1970, across the Atlantic a shit ton of times and across the Pacific a lot of times.  Until the mid 1990s it was tolerable.  Nowadays it's ridiculous flying coach.  I'm too old for that shit and for a trip every couple of years, I'll pay the extra money, it's well worth it to me.

I pony up and fly in the front of the winged bus.  Otherwise I ache too much for a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MisterMoon said:

You fellas can go on congratulating yourselves for your always dapper attire. I'm all about comfort and don't really care who is impressed by me when I go to the grocery store or a Civil War fort. 

Nobody said you have to wear a suit or even a tie.  I think it's psychological thing as well.  If you are wearing respectable clothes, and by that I mean a newish jeans and a decent shirt with a collar be it a polo or button down, you act differently.  And in airports and other businesses, fair or not the workers treat you better.  Of course being polite is a nice thing to do too.  A few years ago I was returning to Europe from New Jersey.  My friend and his family had come with us and the girl at the check in counter had to lift a bunch of bags off of the scale and drag them to the conveyer behind her  I said I wished I could help her and that it was too bad she had to do that herself.  She said thanks for my concern.  When I got to our gate, I saw on our boarding passes that she had put us in the 1st boarding group and our seats were pretty far back so we would have been in the 5th group or so and might not have any room left in the overheads for our stuff.  It was a small thing, but it showed she appreciated my polite concern.  People that work in airports get shit on all of the time.  I am always very nice to them and sometimes they are grateful sometimes they aren't but I don't care, I'll keep being nice because it's a nice thing to do, I don't expect to get anything for it.  And wearing decent clothes helps to put me in the mood to be nice. 

But if you are flying and want to be comfortable, I get it.  Especially if you are flying around the US and you have showered and you aren't showing your ass you are already doing better than many.  You be you.   And being nice, and polite is the most important thing in my mind, no matter your appearance.  In Europe I want to present a nicer image of Americans because I want to show them we all aren't overweight, loud, obnoxious, and dressed in rags.  It isn't a matter of impressing anybody, it's just what I like to do. YMMV.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NaptimeAgain said:

I pony up and fly in the front of the winged bus.  Otherwise I ache too much for a week.

Well you were complaining about poor treatment, that hasn't been my experience for the extra money.  I get driven or wheeled through the airport so I go right to the front for security but most big airports I've been to have special security lines for business and first, so what's left to bitch about?

I reread your other post and it sounded like you were being mistreated, perhaps you were speaking in general.  

3 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Flying these days is so miserably uncomfortable that it's no surprise people don't dress up unless they are going straight to a business meeting from the airport.  When you are treated like cattle you dress for the barnyard.  Once on a flight the middle seat was taken by a scruffy guy in a sleeveless shirt.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Nowadays it's ridiculous flying coach.  I'm too old for that shit and for a trip every couple of years, I'll pay the extra money, it's well worth it to me.

$1800 for a 12 hr flight x 2 = 24 hrs flying time = $75 per hour price increase (and with your example, premium economy)  I go for the cheapest seat I can.

While I agree with you as to the why and how for your personal needs, I'm struggling with that expense for mine.  So I will permit myself the luxury to complain, while I "save $?"

I get to deal with the unwashed masses in their pajamas.  So I earn my $75 per hour

It's like a trip to the dentist.  Get it over with, make the best of it that you can, and move on.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

You fellas can go on congratulating yourselves for your always dapper attire. I'm all about comfort and don't really care who is impressed by me when I go to the grocery store or a Civil War fort. 

I'm in shorts and birks most of the time these days. It it's cool, I'll throw on a fleece and <gasp!> pull on a pair of socks.  When it warms up later in the day, the socks come off and go in a pocket or backpack. 

Covid has stopped all business travel for me since last March. I used to fly every week. And even when I did, I dressed for comfort in jeans and an untucked polo, or trackpants and quarter zip athletic top on longer flights.  When I fly internationally, I exclusively wear athlesuire attire, even in business class. I want to sleep and wearing regular clothes is too uncomfortable.

I haven't worn a necktie since my stepfather's funeral three years ago. 

I have not had a haircut in 5 months and haven't shaved in three weeks. My wife kind of digs my feral look, and if she's happy, I'm happy! 

I'm clean and I don't wear anything inappropriate. If I'm on the boat out to Fort Sumter you'll probably see me in shorts, birks, and Braves baseball t-shirt like I'm wearing right now. (Although last time I was there, I was wearing a BSA scoutmaster uniform...)

Wow this sounds like a rant. It kind of is I suppose, but it's not intended to be mean. All I'm saying is maybe it's best to keep our judgements about other people to ourselves. 

"I'm a slob... and proud of it".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Windward said:

$1800 for a 12 hr flight x 2 = 24 hrs flying time = $75 per hour price increase (and with your example, premium economy)  I go for the cheapest seat I can.

While I agree with you as to the why and how for your personal needs, I'm struggling with that expense for mine.  So I will permit myself the luxury to complain, while I "save $?"

I get to deal with the unwashed masses in their pajamas.  So I earn my $75 per hour

It's like a trip to the dentist.  Get it over with, make the best of it that you can, and move on.

 

It's all a matter of priorities and necessity.  I don't need a lot of shit in my life.  I like good food, good wine and other than flying business which is a necessity at this point in my life, I don't spend a lot of money.  I drive a 20 year old car that I paid $4,000 for 10 years ago.  I never want another one, I love that car, actually a Mitsubishi jeepish 4x4, not an SUV.  I'll buy a new motor for mine if I have to.  It doesn't look a day over 15 years old anyway!

Complain away!  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A hell of a lot of people don't grasp the distinction between "casual" and "slob".

I blame Walmart.

Pin on weird people of walmartPEOPLE OF WALMART | 2 - YouTubeWave The Flag - People Of Walmart : People Of Walmart

Just say no to crack

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Just say no to crack

 I really appreciate the new feature that hides most of the photo in replies so you have to click the arrow to see them.  It's a lifesaver!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

image.png.0a3ed24a83c487a728b725edb097ba40.png

If that is in Scotland, Wt serious fuck??  So you appropriate someone else's culture, in their country and mock them by wearing cowboy boots and hats...  Fucking texans, surprised they did not get a beat down..  Now it does look like it might actually be a texas wedding and they are just fucking stupid... Cary on

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Well you were complaining about poor treatment, that hasn't been my experience for the extra money.  I get driven or wheeled through the airport so I go right to the front for security but most big airports I've been to have special security lines for business and first, so what's left to bitch about?

I reread your other post and it sounded like you were being mistreated, perhaps you were speaking in general.  

 

I didn't always ride up front :-)  On some routes Southwest is the only efficient option.  While the crew is pleasant, the cabin experience is the same if you pay $300 or $1200 for the seat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

 I really appreciate the new feature that hides most of the photo in replies so you have to click the arrow to see them.  It's a lifesaver!

I will remember this next time someone reposts "Santa"....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

I didn't always ride up front :-)  On some routes Southwest is the only efficient option.  While the crew is pleasant, the cabin experience is the same if you pay $300 or $1200 for the seat.

I don't fly enough in the US to haver ever tried Southwest.  I don't think they were a thing when I was still living in the US.  I usually fly United to the US direct from Berlin and I connect to my destination on United.  If I have to make a connecting flight in Europe before the trans Atlantic flight, it's a code share flight on Lufthansa which is not a sacrifice at all.  The cheap airlines in Europe are godawful  Ryan Air is the best of the worst in my opinion, and that isn't saying much.  I will walk barefoot in a snowstorm instead of ever flying Easy Jet again.  The planes suck, the seating sucks, the staff on the planes and on the ground suck and the budget airlines in Europe fly to all of the suckiest airports in Europe if possible.  Because of the Cold War, there are a lot of out of the way former military bases that the cheap airlines use.  Sometimes the terminal is a corrugated metal building with exposed girders and bare concrete floors inside.  And it goes downhill from there.  They never pay for jetways at the bigger airports (the small airports don't have them), so you get bussed to the plane which creates a 2nd stampede in addition to the scramble for seats stampede. If it's raining tough shit.  You pay for checked bags, you pay for carry on bags, you pay for a chance to get on the plane early, but when the busses come it's a free for all so unless you are a defensive lineman, you might end up with no advantage, and on and on.  If possible I travel by train, it doesn't cost much more, you go to the middle of the city and not up to an hour and a half from the city that they claim is your destination.  For example Frankfurt Hahn is is about 80 miles from Frankfurt, whereas the real airport is just outside of the city. The train isn't really any slower when you factor everything in.  And there is no cattle call to board or to go through security, and there are comfortable seats and leg room.   

The advent of cheap airfares is one of the many signs of a failing civilization for many reasons in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Sorry but that's not curves.  That's called obesity medically speaking.  Rationalize iot any way you like.  Heart disease and/or diabetes are in her future for sure.  There is no excuse for it, it wasn't like that not that long ago.

Yes Ed, and just like always, some women have genetics that make them the way they are so there is an "excuse" 

Or hormones. 

I know plenty of women that eat healthy and do normal exercise for their cardiovascular health, they're still curvy women. 

It's not always the stereotype of lack of exercise and poor diet.  

I'm glad that these young women have the courage to dress to suit their body shapes without feeling the need to wear the sugar bags of shame to satisfy some outdated ideal of health and beauty.

A healthy mind and self image is just as important.

Yes, too many people are unhealthily overweight due to poor diet and lack of exercise. Body shaming won't fix that in fact it does the opposite.

Feeling good about oneself is the first step to looking after oneself.

Just sayin.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shaggy said:

If that is in Scotland, Wt serious fuck??  So you appropriate someone else's culture, in their country and mock them by wearing cowboy boots and hats...  Fucking texans, surprised they did not get a beat down..  Now it does look like it might actually be a texas wedding and they are just fucking stupid... Cary on

Seriously, could someone explain what the "men in kilts" wedding thing is about? :wacko:

Re the correct flying attire, 22hours plus stopovers in economy class in thrombosis inducing clothing?

Wear loose and comfortable that wont show stains. I get so tired of the fashionista's hogging the "bathrooms" 30 minutes before landing and appearing like they're going clubbing for the queue at Heathrow or Madrid. They usually leave a mess of tissues, hair, stubble and  water behind them too.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Seriously, could someone explain what the "men in kilts" wedding thing is about? 

Gonads are a part of the answer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

People are shocked to see me go business class or at least economy plus. Some clothing style plays to the charade of looking similar to a famous person.  a nice jacket, a quality t-shirt and swagger go a long way.

Being cute and fashionable makes for nicer counter service, upgrades and more flight attendant warm smiled attention. Beside you never know who you are going to sit near - I have gotten great paid work and friendships because i was dress with style, seemed was approachable and appeared confident in who am.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

You fellas can go on congratulating yourselves for your always dapper attire. I'm all about comfort and don't really care who is impressed by me when I go to the grocery store or a Civil War fort. 

I'm in shorts and birks most of the time these days. It it's cool, I'll throw on a fleece and <gasp!> pull on a pair of socks.  When it warms up later in the day, the socks come off and go in a pocket or backpack. 

Covid has stopped all business travel for me since last March. I used to fly every week. And even when I did, I dressed for comfort in jeans and an untucked polo, or trackpants and quarter zip athletic top on longer flights.  When I fly internationally, I exclusively wear athlesuire attire, even in business class. I want to sleep and wearing regular clothes is too uncomfortable.

I haven't worn a necktie since my stepfather's funeral three years ago. 

I have not had a haircut in 5 months and haven't shaved in three weeks. My wife kind of digs my feral look, and if she's happy, I'm happy! 

I'm clean and I don't wear anything inappropriate. If I'm on the boat out to Fort Sumter you'll probably see me in shorts, birks, and Braves baseball t-shirt like I'm wearing right now. (Although last time I was there, I was wearing a BSA scoutmaster uniform...)

Wow this sounds like a rant. It kind of is I suppose, but it's not intended to be mean. All I'm saying is maybe it's best to keep our judgements about other people to ourselves. 

Maybe have some respect for your fellow travelers, and dress like an adult, not a 6 y/o at a sleep over.

I have to admit that I consider adult people who wear pajamas, or sweats in an airport to be..... Something to avoid. Especially if they bring their binky, and wee piwwow.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I  was in line inside a gas station in cedar city Utah. The woman ahead of me had on a ragged t-shirt, baggy shorts and flip flops.  She accessorized via a bag of urine strapped to her ankle and a tube running back up into her shorts. Now that's classy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites