1. Postal workers who used to come to the door to drop off the mail, before these neighborhood distribution boxes took over and mailboxes got disconnected from the house or the front of the house. Back then, the Postal Workers were the eyes and ears of any good neighborhood. If kids were getting abused, they would often find out, and make anonymous calls, if someone's mail was piling up, they would call for a wellness check. The Postal Workers had the pulse of the neighborhood and they made it a more connected and happier place.

2. Visible bumpers on cars. Back before they started covering bumpers with plastic, it was possible to look at almost any old car and with a basic knowledge of Department of Transportation guidelines, get a quick idea of within a few years of when the car or truck was made based on the thickness, relative height, rubber (if any), connection points and other aspects of the bumper. Now, those gorgeous functional bumpers are made of the most nondescript steel possible and hidden under a thin layer of pressure-formed plastic. I miss seeing bumpers.
  • Like 2

I miss cars with windows large enough to see out of, large enough that you would comfortably put your arm on the window sill.

• Like 1

The hair on top of my head.  (cold and rain, not vanity)

My eyesight for reading. (glasses are irritating at best)

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Windward said:

And a bit of protection from the bumps that bleed like a stuck pig.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, slap said:

I miss cars with windows large enough to see out of, large enough that you would comfortably put your arm on the window sill.

What tiny shit box do you drive?  There last several cars I’ve owned easily met both of those criteria. 

12 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

1) The Random Pic Thread

2) Hobot's random pics

Huh????  What did I miss?  Where did the thread go?

46 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Huh????  What did I miss?  Where did the thread go?

Forum "upgrade". It got flushed and Hobot has dropped out of sight.

1. I miss what sailing anarchy used to be.

2. I miss what sailing anarchy used to be

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

Hobot has dropped out of sight.

Hese stille aronde.                        :)

19 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

1. Amen brorther

2. Amen brorther

:)

3 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

Forum "upgrade". It got flushed and Hobot has dropped out of sight.

Apparently Hobot is in the hospital with COVID

21 hours ago, Windward said:

My eyesight for reading. (glasses are irritating at best)

I hate glasses. Never wore them till about age.........40. Went from I see fine to I can’t read stuff without them almost overnight. I remember the moment precisely. At work, I get up at @ 1am for a reported house fire. It’s several station districts away so I’m going alone (engine and truck not going) and it’s long before the computer aided dispatch that brings up the address and map route in on the computer screen in the rig so everything is paper run maps of 1 square mile grids. You cannot carry the whole county that way, so for more distant calls we used Thomas Bros maps for addresses and route in. I stumble downstairs sleepy and get into my rig, pull the Thomas Bros, turn to the page and I cannot read any of it......not one word. WTF??!! How the heck am I gonna get to the call? I got no other rigs from same station to follow (which I usually do). While I’m sitting in the rig, motor running and door up squinting at the map trying to see anything the first engine goes on scene and announces nothing showing, comes back a few seconds later and says hot wall plug, he can handle, cancel everyone else. So grateful I got canceled I’m now scrounging thru the various offices and desks at 1am looking for magnifying anything. I find a old pair of cheaters someone left laying around. Try it out and I can see enough to read the map. So, it’s back to bed only to get up again around 2:30. This time I can read the map. Bought my first set of cheaters 2x next day. Over time it has gone from drugstore cheaters, to prescription readers now to distance and reading correction. Can’t see shit without them. I hate glasses.

• Like 3

Very good hearing and a reliable sense of balance.

And Hobbs thread.

I know... that's three.

And there are more.

On 3/25/2021 at 7:54 AM, Bugsy said:

1. Clarity of thought. 

2. Clarity of word.  

I found cutting down on the drink fixed these problems.

Of course then I missed the drinking...

7 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Gesse I wase roungue................

Spelled wrong wronge (-:

I miss my youth, haven't seen the little bugger in 30 years.

Ungrateful bastard.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gissie said:

I found cutting down on the drink fixed these problems.

Of course then I missed the drinking...

Christ, no wonder you're such a mizzable SOB. Let me buy ya a drink!

On 3/24/2021 at 4:29 PM, ROADKILL666 said:

Manual windows and locks in cars.Are we that lazy now?

Yeah, I used to think I wanted a low tech low budget car again too. But with the dog in the back seat begging for the window down at every stop that ain't happening. And the thrill of clutching and shifting is gone. And lugging around cases of cassettes and cds, not missing that so much. And who wants to sit on a cold seat for a half hour on a January morning or feel the sweat drip down their ass crack in the summer? And 2 or 3 windshieldwiper speeds used to seem adequate but now I can't get the right speed with infinitely adjustable intervals. And having to reach across the passenger seat and out the window to adjust that damn mirror I somehow bumped when was walking by, don't miss that. Nor the usual tune up, brake job, shocks and tires every 20k miles.

Other than that, I really miss my old 61 Rambler Classic station wagon.

Not exactly "things" but, my parents, and my sense of touch. Both gone way too young in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

So, youre outta touch?

I've had bilateral neuropathy in both my lower, and upper extremities for about 12 years now. That feels like you slammed your fingers, or feet in the car door..... Yesterday. Numb, but pain. Not good. Thank those little deer ticks that carry Lyme disease.

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

Yeah, I used to think I wanted a low tech low budget car again too. But with the dog in the back seat begging for the window down at every stop that ain't happening. And the thrill of clutching and shifting is gone. And lugging around cases of cassettes and cds, not missing that so much. And who wants to sit on a cold seat for a half hour on a January morning or feel the sweat drip down their ass crack in the summer? And 2 or 3 windshieldwiper speeds used to seem adequate but now I can't get the right speed with infinitely adjustable intervals. And having to reach across the passenger seat and out the window to adjust that damn mirror I somehow bumped when was walking by, don't miss that. Nor the usual tune up, brake job, shocks and tires every 20k miles.

Wow - are you ever getting old!.

49 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Wow - are you ever getting old!.

Yeah, I got the patent on dirt.

11 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

I miss the relative calm of a world without the Internet and cable news.

This.  The Internetz is both the greatest gift to man and it's greatest curse.  I'm still not convinced where on the good/bad spectrum it will fall out in history.  It's not looking great so far......

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Burning Man said:

This.  The Internetz is both the greatest gift to man and it's greatest curse.  I'm still not convinced where on the good/bad spectrum it will fall out in history.  It's not looking great so far......

It will have a place of honour in between syphilis and Lawrence Welk.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, ancientseawolf said:

I miss two sexes

Which two?

Thankfully, I still have two sexes; the sex I think about and the sex I talk about.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Which two?

Thankfully, I still have two sexes; the sex I think about and the sex I talk about.

I guess I'm missing the time we knew there were two sexes.  The one we were and the one they were

• Like 1

I miss civility and epic dirt clod battles after school in the vacant lot

14 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Internet is like an Interstate highway.  People do the same good and bad shit as ever, just faster in greater volume.

I miss not having to block so many idiots and trolls on this site.  

I also miss the DDWFTTWS thread.  Can we start that up again?

Are those contradictory?  Yeah, so what.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2021 at 8:28 AM, Point Break said:

I hate glasses. Never wore them till about age.........40. Went from I see fine to I can’t read stuff without them almost overnight. I remember the moment precisely. At work, I get up at @ 1am for a reported house fire. It’s several station districts away so I’m going alone (engine and truck not going) and it’s long before the computer aided dispatch that brings up the address and map route in on the computer screen in the rig so everything is paper run maps of 1 square mile grids. You cannot carry the whole county that way, so for more distant calls we used Thomas Bros maps for addresses and route in. I stumble downstairs sleepy and get into my rig, pull the Thomas Bros, turn to the page and I cannot read any of it......not one word. WTF??!! How the heck am I gonna get to the call? I got no other rigs from same station to follow (which I usually do). While I’m sitting in the rig, motor running and door up squinting at the map trying to see anything the first engine goes on scene and announces nothing showing, comes back a few seconds later and says hot wall plug, he can handle, cancel everyone else. So grateful I got canceled I’m now scrounging thru the various offices and desks at 1am looking for magnifying anything. I find a old pair of cheaters someone left laying around. Try it out and I can see enough to read the map. So, it’s back to bed only to get up again around 2:30. This time I can read the map. Bought my first set of cheaters 2x next day. Over time it has gone from drugstore cheaters, to prescription readers now to distance and reading correction. Can’t see shit without them. I hate glasses.

It's inevitable and irrevocable and universal.  The goo in your eyeballs - aqueous and vitreous humor -  have a lifespan of about 45 years.  After that they start to thicken up.  One of the things in the human body that has not slowly lengthened it's durability as humans have lengthened their lifespan.   You are not unique.  

46 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I miss civility and epic dirt clod battles after school in the vacant lot

It was all fun and games til it turned into a rock throwing event....

I miss not having to want on eggshells for everything I say or do without having to worry that a lawyer will be knocking on my door.

15 hours ago, Burning Man said:

The Internetz is both the greatest gift to man and it's greatest curse.  

You no, the same hase beene saide abote women.........                    :)     

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, More Cowbell2 said:

I miss not having to want on eggshells for everything I say or do without having to worry that a lawyer will be knocking on my door.

walk, walk walk on eggshells.  sheesh, learn to typewhat you mean.

30 minutes ago, More Cowbell2 said:

you'd type better if ya had more cowbell.. just sayin'

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:
34 minutes ago, More Cowbell2 said:

you'd type better if ya had more cowbell.. just sayin'

I niewe what he mentte,ist onley a cuppelle of letteres........            :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

It could have been "wank on eggshells" for all we know.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:
3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

It could have been "wank on eggshells" for all we know.

When I thicke abote it, you kinda ritte........       :)

I juste kinda hade a feelling........      :)

I miss rear windows where you can see the edge of the trunk and fenders.

I miss vent windows in the front doors.

I will no longer live without a heated steering wheel

On 3/25/2021 at 5:27 PM, Willin' said:

Meet La Bamba, my latest daily driver down here in Baja....

20201214_160652~2.jpg

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

20201214_160652~2.jpg

Ingnore my laste poeste.............             Loveng that bitche!                                     :)

7 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

20201214_160652~2.jpg

Manual everything I presume?

That thing is collectible now.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Manual everything I presume?

That thing is collectible now.

And with no power brakes. No power windows. 4:09 gears, posi rear, divorced N/P 202 2 speed t-case, original 304 V-8 glued to a stick 4 speed B/W trans, twin tanks, 126k o-g miles, o-g everything else in fact.....even the 2 bbl Holley. Crank windows, dimmer on the floor and wind wings.....just as gawd intended. Oh yeah, and runs like striped assed ape. Love this olde gal.....

• Like 4

Oh yeah? 

EYE got pwr brakes ,

, need a little work on windows rollupper mechanism,  but windwings work great.

256k mi w/fresh crate RE22  (puny, about 1/2  kornbinder displacement) 

5 speed trans, 2 speed t-case,  oversize tires and suspension lift, 

, gets me through a bit deeper,  umm "sand" up in the winter mtns,

, that I am RESISTING posting the pics,

so that Boothy won't tip over catatonic,

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

I miss vent windows in the front doors.

That is the main reason I bought my 1991 Isuzu Rodeo. At the time I was still refusing to get AC in my cars and it made enormous sense to me to have wind wings.

93805031990108.jpg

It was actually the only good thing I remember about that car.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

20201214_160652~2.jpg

Loving La Bamba, Boothy. Good to see you around again. Last I remember you were hiding out in the Sonoran Desert somewhere. Would it be rude to ask your whereabouts now? Surf side or clear water side of Baja?

24 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Loving La Bamba, Boothy. Good to see you around again. Last I remember you were hiding out in the Sonoran Desert somewhere. Would it be rude to ask your whereabouts now? Surf side or clear water side of Baja?

Punta Banda area for the last 3.5 years. But the winters are killing me and I'm getting antsy. Maybe Arizona again? Or the Hill Country in Texas? Or......maybe Zihuatenejo. Just never know what E/M's gonna do next......:D

• Like 2
2 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

20201214_160652~2.jpg

Hey,  look who's back in town!!

How's life treating you Mr Booth?:)

Not too bad, Sir. Except that once in a while you'll notice that a few of those 'Golden Years'....are actually just cheap Chinese knock-offs. So age carefully, Brah.....:D

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Not too bad, Sir. Except that once in a while you'll notice that a few of those 'Golden Years'....are actually just cheap Chinese knock-offs. So age carefully, Brah.....:D

Yeah....when the warranty expires.........things go off the rails. Nice you’re back.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

All good, PB? Más o menos?.....

Been a hard road for a bit. I’m still on the green side of the dirt though. All in all........better than some, not as good as others. Really glad to see you back. Us oldster surf bums gotta stick together. 

• Like 1
On 3/25/2021 at 8:28 AM, Point Break said:

Totally with you here.  For me it was when I was maybe 45...tuning up a sewing machine that my grandmother gave to my daughter.  Absolutely killer headache...no understanding of why.  Followed up with trying to oil the gears in a clock my grandfather and I made when I was a teenager, headache so bad that I was in bed for a solid day.  Went to readers, now have progressives.  what a PITA.  Added damn hearing aids to the mix this past year because my lovely wife got tired of repeating everything.

Side note...I threw away my last LA Country ThomasGuide just about a month ago!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Que said:

Totally with you here.  For me it was when I was maybe 45...tuning up a sewing machine that my grandmother gave to my daughter.  Absolutely killer headache...no understanding of why.  Followed up with trying to oil the gears in a clock my grandfather and I made when I was a teenager, headache so bad that I was in bed for a solid day.  Went to readers, now have progressives.  what a PITA.  Added damn hearing aids to the mix this past year because my lovely wife got tired of repeating everything.

I didn't start taking leave of my senses until nearly 60.

Now it's no sense of smell, hearing aids, failing eyesight.

The worst part is it's a life sentence.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I took leave of my senses somewhere between the time I divorced my 1st wife and I married the 2nd one.  Now I'm on my 3rd wife but I don't think I ever regained my senses, too much damage done to them.  

I miss vowels.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

But think of the alternative...

10 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Or the Hill Country in Texas?

I lived in San Antonio for 4 years, left in 1996.  It was the last place I had lived in the US.  I miss the Tex Mex food and the BBQ.

The Hill Country would be heaven if only it wasn't in Texas.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Point Break said:

Been a hard road for a bit. I’m still on the green side of the dirt though. All in all........better than some, not as good as others. Really glad to see you back. Us oldster surf bums gotta stick together. 

FB_IMG_1584552272348.jpg

• Like 2
20 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

1). My Dad.

2). Thirty four of the 41 vehicles I've ever owned.....

FB_IMG_1582903781109.jpg

Good to see you back, EM. Will you be staying?

19 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Good to see you back, EM. Will you be staying?

Yeah.....kinda miss this Blazing Saddle-ish mixed bag of you morbid miscreants, malcontents & mentally challenged maniacs. It's a good group......

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Yeah.....kinda miss this Blazing Saddle-ish mixed bag of you morbid miscreants, malcontents & mentally challenged maniacs. It's a good group......

Hey, hey, easy there surfer boy, I resemble that remark!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Sweet board. Can’t tell the make though. Hobie? Stewart? 

Don't recall, twas a couple of years. Borrowed from my neighbor down here. Ten feet long and was about as manueverable as that f'ng freighter parked in the Suez.  Never really liked long boards after the later 60's anyways....no Hackman-style legs for making big turns. Best thing that happened for me in surfing was discovering the joy of sub-six foot twinnys.....:D

FB_IMG_1586463954494.jpg

14 hours ago, Willin' said:

That is the main reason I bought my 1991 Isuzu Rodeo. At the time I was still refusing to get AC in my cars and it made enormous sense to me to have wind wings.

93805031990108.jpg

It was actually the only good thing I remember about that car.

That's not a U.S. model right? We don't have wing-glasses in our Rodeos. I still have my 1997 Rodeo, I've managed to keep thethe old gal running, she's the best snow and mud vehicle I've ever had. Manual 5 speed, manual transfer case with the granny gear, when the conditions are rough, she turns into a hell bitch, intent to fuck up the environment and beyond.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, mikewof said:

That's not a U.S. model right? We don't have wing-glasses in our Rodeos. I still have my 1997 Rodeo, I've managed to keep thethe old gal running, she's the best snow and mud vehicle I've ever had. Manual 5 speed, manual transfer case with the granny gear, when the conditions are rough, she turns into a hell bitch, intent to fuck up the environment and beyond.

That was a stock photo from the net, not mine, which was all red and a US model and did have the windwings. Could be Isuzu weened them off later. I bought it when we lived in the San Bernardino Mtns and it really was good in the snow. I especially liked the lockable hubs when most suvs of the time were becoming AWD. Those hard seats and rough ride were murder on the buns on the 3 hour drive to the boat though.

8 hours ago, Willin' said:

That was a stock photo from the net, not mine, which was all red and a US model and did have the windwings. Could be Isuzu weened them off later. I bought it when we lived in the San Bernardino Mtns and it really was good in the snow. I especially liked the lockable hubs when most suvs of the time were becoming AWD. Those hard seats and rough ride were murder on the buns on the 3 hour drive to the boat though.

Mine is a 1997, I could see where the wing glasses would go, but there is a solid mounting point for the rear view mirrors in the whole window angle there. Mine has electric windows (unfortunately, I replace regulators like used Kleenex in that truck) so maybe the wing glasses are eliminated when the user picked the electric window option?

I still have a little 1975 Fiat with no AC and wing glasses.

Your 1999 has the locking hubs, do you have a manual five speed? I have the manual five, and the differential lock with the little transfer case lever next to the five speed shift.

Apologies for all these questions, I didn't know that there were Isuzus like you have, let alone one as late as 1999. They were made in the GM factory, who also made the Honda Passport. I think some of the Chevy Blazers had the same basic setup as the Rodeos and Passports.

I bought that truck with maybe 20k miles on it back in 2002 or so, and nearly got rid of it so many times through the years, each time I figured I would get rid of it later, and stashed it somewhere. Then this year it was on its last legs from sitting outside so long, I put some elbow grease into her, and now I remember why I love that truck so much, the fully boxed frame, the short wheelbase, the transfer case is gear driven with none of those pullies.

4 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Mine is a 1997, I could see where the wing glasses would go, but there is a solid mounting point for the rear view mirrors in the whole window angle there. Mine has electric windows (unfortunately, I replace regulators like used Kleenex in that truck) so maybe the wing glasses are eliminated when the user picked the electric window option?

I still have a little 1975 Fiat with no AC and wing glasses.

Your 1999 has the locking hubs, do you have a manual five speed? I have the manual five, and the differential lock with the little transfer case lever next to the five speed shift.

Apologies for all these questions, I didn't know that there were Isuzus like you have, let alone one as late as 1999. They were made in the GM factory, who also made the Honda Passport. I think some of the Chevy Blazers had the same basic setup as the Rodeos and Passports.

Can't help ya Mike, mine was a '91. I sold it around '97 or so.

3 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Can't help ya Mike, mine was a '91. I sold it around '97 or so.

'91, apologies, I first read your post as a '99. I guess my eyesight is shit. That explains the wing glasses.

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

'91, apologies, I first read your post as a '99. I guess my eyesight is shit. That explains the wing glasses.

No worries as long as you admit you made a mistake and were wrong about something...:D

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Willin' said:

No worries as long as you admit you made a mistake and were wrong about something...:D

Yeah, I mistook your Rodeo as a '99 and I was pissed that my '97 doesn't have wing glasses.

But now that you got me looking at it, I wonder how hard it would be to put 91 or earlier doors onto my '97. Wing glasses are just the shitty shit shit, I love 'em the way Boothie loves strippers and Borg Warner transfer cases.

14 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

when Porsche and Jaguars only had 2 doors, and were sport cars not suv's

stick shift

Dacron sails

I knew the world was fucked when I saw Lamborghini and Bentley SUVs.  Is nothing sacred FFS.

• Like 2