Netflix original series are on the take from tobacco companies.

The number of scenes with smoking in them ... I developed lung cancer and had to stop watching Narcos before the end of season one.

Anyone else noticed? 

Fuck them I say.

Edit: Googled it and found I was not the only one

Stub it out: Netflix criticised for too many smoking scenes

• Like 1

I'm very sorry about your struggles with smoking.  But this form of cancel culture (hint - Stranger things is written as if it took place in the late 70's early 80's when a TON of people smoked) is just stupid.

Might as well pretend the Germans didn't exist either.

I'll try to be shocked that an anti-smoking group found a way to be outraged about smoking.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

This article is more than 3 years old

The shows were set in time periods when everyone did smoke. My high school had a smoking area for KIDS back then :o

So you are a smoker then?

I have some bad news for you.

11 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

But this form of cancel culture (hint - Stranger things is written as if it took place in the late 70's early 80's when a TON of people smoked) is just stupid.

Well, I have just been watching it now.   Suits Big Tobacco, I bet they are funding it.

Funni how things work.

6 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The shows were set in time periods when everyone did smoke. My high school had a smoking area for KIDS back then :o

What?!!

Oh, hang on a minute. Now I recall. we sixth formers had a common room where smoking was permitted. 

Unimaginable going back to the 70's and 80's offices..

We worked with one guy who's cream coloured rota dial desk phone was brown around the speaker bit. ugh. the stench if you had to answer it you hold it 2 foot away from your face and yell. Ashtrays on desks.

It does surprise me we never seemed to have bin fires. 25 floors up.

6 minutes ago, rantro said:

So you are a smoker then?

I have some bad news for you.

You're a smoker too aren't you? or was your "smoko" comment gratuitous 'strine. 

4 minutes ago, rantro said:

Well, I have just been watching it now.   Suits Big Tobacco, I bet they are funding it.

Funni how things work.

why the hell are you funding Netflix anyway? ABC Iveiw and SBS on demand not good enough, you have to go support the main purveyor of mental mush to children. Shame on you. 

1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

You're a smoker too aren't you? or was your "smoko" comment gratuitous 'strine. 

No, I have had family members die from it though.

Smoko is an ORStralian term for "Morning Tea".  Is it not my good fellow?

1 minute ago, rantro said:

No, I have had family members die from it though.

Smoko is an ORStralian term for "Morning Tea".  Is it not my good fellow?

No, morning tea is a Union sanctioned paid morning break.

Smokos are the unsanctioned 2 or 3 smoke breaks between morning tea and lunch.

Don't you know anything? :P

Just now, Shortforbob said:

why the hell are you funding Netflix anyway? ABC Iveiw and SBS on demand not good enough, you have to go support the main purveyor of mental mush to children. Shame on you. 

SBS shits me with the login and iView is pretty shallow.

iView ihas been shit since the ABC cut the Quantum team for a couple of reports that Big Pharma didn't like.

I just added them to my 'list of people who can get fucked'.

Just now, Shortforbob said:

No, morning tea is a Union sanctioned paid morning break.

Smokos are the unsanctioned 2 or 3 smoke breaks between morning tea and lunch.

Don't you know anything? :P

I do know about those things Meli, I lived them on construction camps.

Smoko is Morning Tea.  We used to boil the billy.  I was taught to swing it to settle the tea leaves by a wanted murderer of old people in nursing homes.

iView ihas been shit since the ABC cut the Quantum team for a couple of reports that Big Pharma didn't like.

Correction. IView has been shit ever since Howard, Abbot and co started gradually financially strangling our public broadcaster.

I do know about those things Meli, I lived them on construction camps.

Smoko is Morning Tea.  We used to boil the billy.  I was taught to swing it to settle the tea leaves by a wanted murderer of old people in nursing homes.

You should have had a better Union then :D

11 minutes ago, 2slow said:

I am out of the PA loop. Is ranto the old Randumb?

Nah, just some other Qld hippy with a taste for conspiracy theories. They breed them up there.

Oh and nostalgia for Capt Goodvibes and living his life as a pork chop.

1 hour ago, rantro said:

What is it with SBS log in? WTF is that?

Dumped Netflix a couple of months ago........

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Same.  Bring in a signed form from your parents (yeah, THEY were never forged) saying you had permission and you could light up.  The location was under a portico, near the dumpster.  Of course, this was in the 70s.

I've only smoked one cigarette.  Made me dizzy and I puked.  Decided I never wanted that, again.  Funny how that wasn't the case with alcohol.....

3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

I'm very sorry about your struggles with smoking.  But this form of cancel culture (hint - Stranger things is written as if it took place in the late 70's early 80's when a TON of people smoked) is just stupid.

I'll try to be shocked that an anti-smoking group found a way to be outraged about smoking.

Actually, Big Tobacco’s culture of cancelling their customers’ lives was the bigger offense against humanity. Knowing their products were addictive and statistically lethal yet hiding & suppressing those facts was far worse than reducing the depiction of smoking in movies.

Cry me a River you silly boy.

3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Yes, it is a form of 'cancel culture' but then that does completely trivialize the point (which cancel culture critiques usually do). This isn't about Stranger Things being That '70s Show all over again.  It's about public health, you know, boring stuff like trying to keep people alive.

I don't look at smoking as some sort of defining cultural artifact which we need to preserve the way the Tennessee GOP wants to defend Nathan Bedford Forrest statues from disgusting liberals such as myself. Smoking kills people. So I don't feel the need to be the least bit fair in this. Fuck tobacco companies and fuck Hollywood.

Tobacco companies used to sponsor cultural events. For example, they sponsored the Virginia Slims Circuit which is the predecessor of the WTA. Philip Morris had a brand targeting women and they had money. The Circuit could get that brand in front of the desired target market. Yes, money has a way of insinuating itself and when the Virginia Slims Circuit got a television contract, free advertising! This Netflix thing is that all over again.

Do I need to make a legal case out of this with a signed contract between Philip Morris and Netflix entered into evidence? No, I do not. The numbers are sufficient.

image.thumb.png.33aafc29543876e1137dcd010df19a42.png

It isn't just 'cancel culture' to want to keep people alive.

Full disclosure: I've lost family members to cancer and so I tend to look at tobacco companies as murderers.

• Like 1

We love Netflix.  Lots of great shows.  Digging "The Crown", right now. 

Just finished Season 1, and there is a lot of smoking.  Of course, that season is set in the 30s-50s.

Smoking or Vaping or voluntarily putting anything in you lungs other than air is just plain STUPID.

With all the knowledge available about breathing in this junk, there should be some sort of denial of care for idiots who put smoke in their lings. I've watch 2 men die long slow miserable and EXPENSIVE deaths (in terms of public provided healthcare). Smoking or Vaping is like shooting up with Heroin. Just plain dumb.

4 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

You have a problem with smoking but not the amount of guns not only in movies, tv but also video games?

Do we have to specify EVERYTHING to which we object, when speaking about one?  That's an odd expectation.

Just now, Bus Driver said:

Do we have to specify EVERYTHING to which we object, when speaking about one?  That's an odd expectation.

Sure seems like that's what folks are doing now.  How about if you don't like something on tv/internet you stop watching it.  You have the ability to do just that.  Do you really give a shit what people who think differently than you think?

2 minutes ago, Gone Drinking said:

Sure seems like that's what folks are doing now.  How about if you don't like something on tv/internet you stop watching it.  You have the ability to do just that.  Do you really give a shit what people who think differently than you think?

Um, a coupla posts above, I explained that is exactly what I do.

3 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

I tried to watch "Mad Men", but the amount of smoking was off-putting.  Growing up in a house with a smoking parent, I could almost taste the air.

11 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

I tried to watch "Mad Men", but the amount of smoking was off-putting.  Growing up in a house with a smoking parent, I could almost taste the air.

I tried to watch Narcos, didn't make it to the end of season 1.  Smoking got me first, then the plot became predictable.  Very disappointed give the reviews it got. 

I will refuse to watch series where the producers are making money advertising tobacco.