Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Got a text from Hobot on the 18th after I messaged him on the 16th to ask when and if Scot was going to restore the Random pic thread.

Hobot's reply, " I've been really sick over the past 10-12 days. Quit eating food and barely could drink liquids. Got completely dehydrated."

I replied,"WTF!"

Hobot replied, "I'm in the hospital now at Swedish in Edmonds. Turns out I have COVID-19. Can you please come visit."

I explain, "Hospitals don't allow visitors with COVID-19 spreading like it is."

Hobot replies, "That must be why Hope(his partner) hasn't visited."

I ask, "How and where did you get it."

Hobot replies, "I don't know. I was so very careful with isolation, wearing a mask, washing my hands - barely leaving the house and still get taken down."

Friday the 18th I text, "How you doing this morning."

Hobot replies, "I now have pneumonia. I found out through a Facebook post last night (on his sister's page) my Mom passed away a few days ago and they didn't tell me - family is such a weird organization."

I reply," Well that's not what I want to hear - you with pneumonia! I'm sorry about the loss of your Mom, my sincere condolences." Then we banter back and forth for a while, but even texting Hobot tires quickly. I close with "Stay positive, Stay Strong, Hope needs you!"

Next morning I text, "How you doing today?"

Hobot replies, "Rough, they keep threating me with intubation. NFW am I going that direction."

I ask, "What meds?

Hobot replies, "All these wires, hoses and tubes I'm plugged into keep getting tangled. It all sucks" He sends a picture, I will not share, showing the wires, hoses and tubes plus Hobot wearing the clear face mask of a ventilator.

I reply, "Holy phuck - stay elevated. What meds?"

Hobot replies, "Other then the meds I was already on... not sure all the new stuff. Oxygen level was at 96% and I dropped to 79%. Supposed to take off this mask to eat and drink." A bit more banter back and forth, then nothing till..."I just got a strong lecture. Stern lecture."

I reply, "From a nurse."

He replies, "From a Doctor. My daytime Nurse I'm not cool with. No bedside manner. Night time Nurse is way cool. Going back to sleep now"

The next day text, "How's it going this morning?"

Hobot replies, "My oxygen falls quickly out of the 90s when I take this mask off. They're dumping as much oxygen and meds in me as they can.  Nest step is intubation, which scare the hell out of me. There's no knowing how long I will be under. To be honest, I'm pretty scared.'' We banter back and forth a bit, then discuss his meds again. He finishes with, "This is a bit of an adventure I'm on. I just don't want to be put out and have more hoses and an intubator jammed down my throat"

I reply, "Stay strong and positive, eat and stay hydrated."

Hobot replies, "It's pretty hard. I have to work on my breathing. Getting a deep breath is pretty impossible - makes me cough. But I can tell I'm using my lungs more today then yesterday, when I was barely using 10%. The big push is for me to lay on my belly, so my lungs get more of a workout. So that's my next thing."

At this point I realize they're preparing him for intubation.

I reply, "We need you to stay strong mentally and keep fighting. They'll probably put you under so you can fight this better. Stay strong. Hope needs you to get through this." We bantered back and forth a bit, then he had to sleep and rest. 

They intubated Hobot. I've been talking with Hope, who talks with his Doctor daily since. Yesterday they were finally able to reduce the oxygen their giving him, and he's maintaining in the 90s by his own accord - but he's still intubated. Send good thoughts or a say a little prayer, even if you don't usually pray. Pics of Hobot doing bow at the 2007 Six-Meter King Olaf Cup sponsored by Port Madison Yacht Club aboard SOCKEYE. 

 

6-meterb.jpg

6-meter.jpg

6-meterc.jpg

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a lot of work ahead of me still. I am and isolation for 2 weeks still at the new facility. I have so much to say to all of you that and so much for Hope and I, My heart has been touched an

Hobot was kept on a drug that put a protective layer over the ulcer yesterday and last night. The bleeding has been stemmed. He was taken off the respirator this morning. However his blood pressure ke

It appears as if Hobot is on the road to recovery. He's propped in his hospital bed up and alert, cutting it up with his nurses. He's also being combative with one of his doctors a tall blonde Doctor

Posted Images

I was at 78% oxygen after my heart attack.  Hallucinations.  Couldn't move.  Fell asleep every 15 seconds (or passed out) then came to, then passed out.  Couldn't follow a complete sentence.  De-intubated myself (completely unaware I did it), and was put under and reintubated.

For those unaware, just being under 90% consistently will cause extreme dizziness, inability to walk, and extreme lethargy (in my experience).  There was literal rejoicing in my hospital room when I got about 85%.

Holy fuck.  I can't imagine being there right now.  Please keep us informed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the update Boomer.

Hobot, you gotta kick this, there are still some pictures left that you haven't posted on here!!!! Git yer ass back in here and finish this!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I was at 78% oxygen after my heart attack.  Hallucinations.  Couldn't move.  Fell asleep every 15 seconds (or passed out) then came to, then passed out.  Couldn't follow a complete sentence.  De-intubated myself (completely unaware I did it), and was put under and reintubated.

For those unaware, just being under 90% consistently will cause extreme dizziness, inability to walk, and extreme lethargy (in my experience).  There was literal rejoicing in my hospital room when I got about 85%.

Holy fuck.  I can't imagine being there right now.  Please keep us informed.

Yes.........when I had my COVID run (at home) my SPO2 (Blood oxygen levels) was always in the low 90's and dipped into the high 80's from time to time. Although the symptoms were hard to separate from the other COVID symptoms, dipping into the 80's was not without some minor impact. Wouldn't want to stay there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Boomer.  WTF, first his thread gets SNAFU'd then he gets covid.  There has to be a silver lining here somewhere.  We're all thinking about you @hobot, fingers crossed that you come out of this in one piece with no lasting issues.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, boomer said:

Got a text from Hobot on the 18th after I messaged him on the 16th to ask when and if Scot was going to restore the Random pic thread.

Hobot's reply, " I've been really sick over the past 10-12 days. Quit eating food and barely could drink liquids. Got completely dehydrated."

I replied,"WTF!"

Hobot replied, "I'm in the hospital now at Swedish in Edmonds. Turns out I have COVID-19. Can you please come visit."

I explain, "Hospitals don't allow visitors with COVID-19 spreading like it is."

Hobot replies, "That must be why Hope(his partner) hasn't visited."

I ask, "How and where did you get it."

Hobot replies, "I don't know. I was so very careful with isolation, wearing a mask, washing my hands - barely leaving the house and still get taken down."

Friday the 18th I text, "How you doing this morning."

Hobot replies, "I now have pneumonia. I found out through a Facebook post last night (on his sister's page) my Mom passed away a few days ago and they didn't tell me - family is such a weird organization."

I reply," Well that's not what I want to hear - you with pneumonia! I'm sorry about the loss of your Mom, my sincere condolences." Then we banter back and forth for a while, but even texting Hobot tires quickly. I close with "Stay positive, Stay Strong, Hope needs you!"

Next morning I text, "How you doing today?"

Hobot replies, "Rough, they keep threating me with intubation. NFW am I going that direction."

I ask, "What meds?

Hobot replies, "All these wires, hoses and tubes I'm plugged into keep getting tangled. It all sucks" He sends a picture, I will not share, showing the wires, hoses and tubes plus Hobot wearing the clear face mask of a ventilator.

I reply, "Holy phuck - stay elevated. What meds?"

Hobot replies, "Other then the meds I was already on... not sure all the new stuff. Oxygen level was at 96% and I dropped to 79%. Supposed to take off this mask to eat and drink." A bit more banter back and forth, then nothing till..."I just got a strong lecture. Stern lecture."

I reply, "From a nurse."

He replies, "From a Doctor. My daytime Nurse I'm not cool with. No bedside manner. Night time Nurse is way cool. Going back to sleep now"

The next day text, "How's it going this morning?"

Hobot replies, "My oxygen falls quickly out of the 90s when I take this mask off. They're dumping as much oxygen and meds in me as they can.  Nest step is intubation, which scare the hell out of me. There's no knowing how long I will be under. To be honest, I'm pretty scared.'' We banter back and forth a bit, then discuss his meds again. He finishes with, "This is a bit of an adventure I'm on. I just don't want to be put out and have more hoses and an intubator jammed down my throat"

I reply, "Stay strong and positive, eat and stay hydrated."

Hobot replies, "It's pretty hard. I have to work on my breathing. Getting a deep breath is pretty impossible - makes me cough. But I can tell I'm using my lungs more today then yesterday, when I was barely using 10%. The big push is for me to lay on my belly, so my lungs get more of a workout. So that's my next thing."

At this point I realize they're preparing him for intubation.

I reply, "We need you to stay strong mentally and keep fighting. They'll probably put you under so you can fight this better. Stay strong. Hope needs you to get through this." We bantered back and forth a bit, then he had to sleep and rest. 

They intubated Hobot. I've been talking with Hope, who talks with his Doctor daily since. Yesterday they were finally able to reduce the oxygen their giving him, and he's maintaining in the 90s by his own accord - but he's still intubated. Send good thoughts or a say a little prayer, even if you don't usually pray. Pics of Hobot doing bow at the 2007 Six-Meter King Olaf Cup sponsored by Port Madison Yacht Club aboard SOCKEYE. 

 

6-meterb.jpg

6-meter.jpg

6-meterc.jpg

Buncha old farts having fun in boats. I frigging love it!!!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Yes.........when I had my COVID run (at home) my SPO2 (Blood oxygen levels) was always in the low 90's and dipped into the high 80's from time to time. Although the symptoms were hard to separate from the other COVID symptoms, dipping into the 80's was not without some minor impact. Wouldn't want to stay there.

You'd know better than anyone!  I have two pulse oximeters and an automatic defibrillator at home =/.  Being old sucks.  Hobot needs to get back on the bow of a boat.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

BEST Hobot!

I beat the damn thing, prolly thanks to an experimental drug called Bamlanivimab (aka Bam-Bam) I got as soon as I was diagnosed.  Immediately felt better.

All I can do is send you the very best wishes and prayers!  Get well soonest, we all need the Top o' the Page ta-tas!  And watch the post-Covid fatigue... it's VERY real and will take you off at the knees if you let it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a disaster for Hobbs - Covid, his mom dies and he doesn't even know about it and the Ed kills his wonderful thread.

He has to get better. I'm sure we're all thinking good thoughts for him.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boomer, thanks for starting this. Please share any news you get.

I don’t know the man but we exchanged some messages. If positive thoughts are any use, he’ll be fine. When/if appropriate please pass on my condolences on the loss of his mum.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Being intubated is a whole different level of challenges.  Sincerely wish HOBOT gets the care and meds he needs to beat this thing.   

Hang in there buddy.  We are all pulling for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for sharing this sobering news, Boomer.  Hopefully he can gain some strength from the knowledge that many people from around the globe are pulling for him.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just sent Hope the link to this thread, so when she talks with him virtually, she can share your kind wishes with him.

Hope is waiting right now, to talk to the Doctor, for todays prognosis - she'll call me and let me know, what she's learned afterwards.

I'm quite certain, she's hoping to have another virtual call with Hobot later today.

The limiter won' t let me like any more of your condolences for 24 hrs.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sending positive thoughts.  Get better, dude.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding my vibes to all those have come before - get well soon and can't wait to have you back around here Hobot!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn. Stay strong! Keep fighting. You foredeck fackers are hard to kill (I know because mine always said that's what I was doing to them but they just wouldn't die!)

The FU would not be the same without you!

Positive vibes headed your way.

 

WL

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hobot, hang in there and fight this thing!

We need you round here for our fix of random pics...

But don't let that stress you, concentrate on getting back on your feet first, deal with your health and your family and once you feel up to it, you can figure out what you want to do about your pics in the future...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best wishes Hobot. Intubation these days is nothing like it used to be. Still sux, but not as bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get Well Hobot! We miss you almost as much as your thread! ;)

    I that emoji was a wink...

    I would have posted this photoshop effort of mine on the photo thread which is now missing but will offer it here for your situation. Hope you and the Docs (and Nurses) can keep the situation on an even keel!

Plimsol-Mark.thumb.jpg.9608c24bd9c69c2c0358d87b69470ad9.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boomer said:

Got a text from Hobot on the 18th after I messaged him on the 16th to ask when and if Scot was going to restore the Random pic thread.

Hobot's reply, " I've been really sick over the past 10-12 days. Quit eating food and barely could drink liquids. Got completely dehydrated."

I replied,"WTF!"

Hobot replied, "I'm in the hospital now at Swedish in Edmonds. Turns out I have COVID-19. Can you please come visit."

I explain, "Hospitals don't allow visitors with COVID-19 spreading like it is."

Hobot replies, "That must be why Hope(his partner) hasn't visited."

I ask, "How and where did you get it."

Hobot replies, "I don't know. I was so very careful with isolation, wearing a mask, washing my hands - barely leaving the house and still get taken down."

Friday the 18th I text, "How you doing this morning."

Hobot replies, "I now have pneumonia. I found out through a Facebook post last night (on his sister's page) my Mom passed away a few days ago and they didn't tell me - family is such a weird organization."

I reply," Well that's not what I want to hear - you with pneumonia! I'm sorry about the loss of your Mom, my sincere condolences." Then we banter back and forth for a while, but even texting Hobot tires quickly. I close with "Stay positive, Stay Strong, Hope needs you!"

Next morning I text, "How you doing today?"

Hobot replies, "Rough, they keep threating me with intubation. NFW am I going that direction."

I ask, "What meds?

Hobot replies, "All these wires, hoses and tubes I'm plugged into keep getting tangled. It all sucks" He sends a picture, I will not share, showing the wires, hoses and tubes plus Hobot wearing the clear face mask of a ventilator.

I reply, "Holy phuck - stay elevated. What meds?"

Hobot replies, "Other then the meds I was already on... not sure all the new stuff. Oxygen level was at 96% and I dropped to 79%. Supposed to take off this mask to eat and drink." A bit more banter back and forth, then nothing till..."I just got a strong lecture. Stern lecture."

I reply, "From a nurse."

He replies, "From a Doctor. My daytime Nurse I'm not cool with. No bedside manner. Night time Nurse is way cool. Going back to sleep now"

The next day text, "How's it going this morning?"

Hobot replies, "My oxygen falls quickly out of the 90s when I take this mask off. They're dumping as much oxygen and meds in me as they can.  Nest step is intubation, which scare the hell out of me. There's no knowing how long I will be under. To be honest, I'm pretty scared.'' We banter back and forth a bit, then discuss his meds again. He finishes with, "This is a bit of an adventure I'm on. I just don't want to be put out and have more hoses and an intubator jammed down my throat"

I reply, "Stay strong and positive, eat and stay hydrated."

Hobot replies, "It's pretty hard. I have to work on my breathing. Getting a deep breath is pretty impossible - makes me cough. But I can tell I'm using my lungs more today then yesterday, when I was barely using 10%. The big push is for me to lay on my belly, so my lungs get more of a workout. So that's my next thing."

At this point I realize they're preparing him for intubation.

I reply, "We need you to stay strong mentally and keep fighting. They'll probably put you under so you can fight this better. Stay strong. Hope needs you to get through this." We bantered back and forth a bit, then he had to sleep and rest. 

They intubated Hobot. I've been talking with Hope, who talks with his Doctor daily since. Yesterday they were finally able to reduce the oxygen their giving him, and he's maintaining in the 90s by his own accord - but he's still intubated. Send good thoughts or a say a little prayer, even if you don't usually pray. Pics of Hobot doing bow at the 2007 Six-Meter King Olaf Cup sponsored by Port Madison Yacht Club aboard SOCKEYE. 

 

6-meterb.jpg

6-meter.jpg

6-meterc.jpg

Oh NO....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hang in there 

I was exposed on 1/23/21 and tested negative on 1/28/21 despite being pretty sick

Things progressed despite all the meds my GP gave me and ended up in ER ON 2/18/21 ,though I was getting because no fever for a few days but apparently I had Covid pneumonia and hypoxia 

So fortunately I was sent home eight hours later On home O2 support and was able to stop after 14 pretty difficult days and as of 3/25/21 I am happy just to walk the dog again as I am still having issues with elevated pulse 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tommays said:

 I am happy just to walk the dog again as I am still having issues with elevated pulse 

Following my COVID journey, I had an elevated resting heart of @ 90-110 for about a month afterwards....maybe 5 weeks. Slowly improved. Riding the bikes or walking fast would get me to 120-140 nearly immediately and take a good 10-15 minutes to recover back to the 90-110. After the 5 weeks it began to slowly improve. 

Just FYI

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Following my COVID journey, I had an elevated resting heart of @ 90-110 for about a month afterwards....maybe 5 weeks. Slowly improved. Riding the bikes or walking fast would get me to 120-140 nearly immediately and take a good 10-15 minutes to recover back to the 90-110. After the 5 weeks it began to slowly improve. 

Just FYI


Thanks for the insight on how it affected you longer term

Its Complicated for me because of my CLL (Chronic lymphocytic leukemia) which is a bit busy right now leaving me  dipping into anemia and really done number on my immune system 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get well soon Hobot.    Ain't no one like you can dig out those old photos and string them into a story.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sending best wishes and good thoughts!  We exchanged PM or texts for a while, when he was trying to line me up for a top of the page post, but the timing never worked, as I have way too much going on, most of the time...   Life is short, live every day like it's your last!!

Get well soon Hobot!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad, bad news.  Get better, you good man.  Lots of people rooting for you!

And as others have said, us old foredeck folk are hard to keep down.  Especially at the party afterwards.  "Did he just disappear with the owner's wife? Or was that the owner's daughter?"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that sucks.  Hobot is SA's MVP (most valuable poster).  Sending you all the positive energy I can muster.  I know you'll kick Covid's ass!  Boomer, thanks for the update which I am sure was not pleasant to compose or send.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn!  Be "Hobot Strong"!!  

Please pray to whatever god you believe in (Even the FSM).   Hobot is good people.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay strong Hobot! Sending you my best wishes from the other side of the pond. And a heartfelt prayer.

 

I also do bow on a six meter, Get well soon and we'll meet at the next worlds in Sanxenxo, drinks on me!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

More good vibes from Oi-rope, hang in there and battle it out!

Looking forward to more random pics and you taking the bow again.

56174.JPG.a64e3d8a3dd2be91c1b79c14e19f40d5.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Boomer for letting us know.  Best wishes Hobot for a quick recovery - from one old foredeckie to another. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the well wishes. Still haven't heard from Hope. She may still not have heard from the doctor, and I believe she had to go into work today.

She was a medical office manager for years. Now that she's retired, she helps operate a program to help people get assistance during these tough times.

Hobot can drive too, as well as double hand and single hand. He had several sailboats over the years.

Here he is driving and trimming the kite downwind on one of my boats, doublehanding - and the wind chill was probably in the low to mid 20s.

002.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, it's tough sending condolences and well wishes all at once. Words fail sometimes.

Hobs, hope you know what a strong kinship so many of us feel with you, even never having met nor laid eyes on you before this thread.

All the strength and calming thoughts I can muster coming atcha, brother!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to be a prick but jeez, Random Pic thread was worth a thousand hits a day and we are only at 70 some posts of "get well, hang in there, be strong"? jeez?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boomer said:

Thanks for all the well wishes. Still haven't heard from Hope. She may still not have heard from the doctor, and I believe she had to go into work today.

She was a medical office manager for years. Now that she's retired, she helps operate a program to help people get assistance during these tough times.

Hobot can drive too, as well as double hand and single hand. He had several sailboats over the years.

Here he is driving and trimming the kite downwind on one of my boats, doublehanding - and the wind chill was probably in the low to mid 20s.

002.jpg

You are lucky to have such nice pics and fond memories. I pray these are not your last memories...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we need to paint the bed orange?  Would that get him better faster?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Get Well Hobot! We miss you almost as much as your thread! ;)

    I that emoji was a wink...

    I would have posted this photoshop effort of mine on the photo thread which is now missing but will offer it here for your situation. Hope you and the Docs (and Nurses) can keep the situation on an even keel!

Plimsol-Mark.thumb.jpg.9608c24bd9c69c2c0358d87b69470ad9.jpg

Well, at least you didn't photoshop on the bulbous bow symbol too!

th.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The least I can do.

Thanks for the well wishes and condolences.

Just got off the phone with Hope.

Hobot is improving but he's not out of the woods yet.

Hope will be doing a virtual call tonight and share this thread with him.

The nurses said she can call at anytime, even in the wee hours of the morning.

Hope says the nurses are working hard to do everything for him  day and night, to help with his recovery.

The nurses will be attempting to roll him onto his back, to keep the lungs from filling with fluid.

He's both being intubated and on the ventilator.

Obviously they're drip feeding him nourishment and on drip for fluids too.

Hobot's dog is missing him very much, and just stares at his empty easy chair - wishing him home, too.

Most of all, Hope appreciate all of you thinking good thoughts for him.

Keep those good thoughts coming and stay positive.

  • Like 19
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hang in there Hobot. You have brought joy to many you dont even know! Prayers to you. Boomer, keep the updates coming.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Let Hope know that she's in our thoughts as well.  Tough duty she has.  

I sure did and his dog Fluffer. Yes she does.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites