Ancient History

the Sun set July 1, 1997 .

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a lot of work ahead of me still. I am and isolation for 2 weeks still at the new facility. I have so much to say to all of you that and so much for Hope and I, My heart has been touched an

Hobot was kept on a drug that put a protective layer over the ulcer yesterday and last night. The bleeding has been stemmed. He was taken off the respirator this morning. However his blood pressure ke

It appears as if Hobot is on the road to recovery. He's propped in his hospital bed up and alert, cutting it up with his nurses. He's also being combative with one of his doctors a tall blonde Doctor

Posted Images

Hobot was kept on a drug that put a protective layer over the ulcer yesterday and last night. The bleeding has been stemmed. He was taken off the respirator this morning. However his blood pressure keeps going up and down, and his doctor said this is because of Hobot's worry and stress for Hope, his daughters and any and everything else. The doctor asked Hope to come in and see him, to hold his hand and help relieve this stress. Hope will be gowned and masked like the nurses to do this. They will allow his daughters masked and gowned in succeeding days to visit him as well. Hobot is now putting whole sentences together when speaking with Hope. The doctors are confident that Hobot will continue to improve, and these temporary setbacks are just part of the march progressing out of this virus.

• Like 34
15 minutes ago, boomer said:

Hobot was kept on a drug that put a protective layer over the ulcer yesterday and last night. The bleeding has been stemmed. He was taken off the respirator this morning. However his blood pressure keeps going up and down, and his doctor said this is because of Hobot's worry and stress for Hope, his daughters and any and everything else. The doctor asked Hope to come in and see him, to hold his hand and help relieve this stress. Hope will be gowned and masked like the nurses to do this. They will allow his daughters masked and gowned in succeeding days to visit him as well. Hobot is now putting whole sentences together when speaking with Hope. The doctors are confident that Hobot will continue to improve, and these temporary setbacks are just part of the march progressing out of this virus.

Very encouraging news.  Wishes for continued improvement.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Very encouraging news.  Wishes for continued improvement.

SAME HERE!  NEED HOBOT BACK WITH THE GROUP HERE.

• Like 4

I check this thread several times a day hoping to hear news; always hoping for good news.  I look forward to the day Hobot is discharged.  I will use that as an excuse to celebrate in true Irish fashion.  

In the meantime, I continue to offer the best thoughts I can muster for him and Hope as well as Boomer who we all appreciate for keeping us in the loop.    

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Dresse as leprackon and spreade three leafe cloveres throuh oute the lande?

I'm going for luck and plan to spread four leaf clovers...if I can walk.   

62ee23e06d9c2fa019d52b6dfef9a410.png

31 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

surgeons do 

No we don’t. Some wear clogs never crocs at any hospital I worked 

34 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

four leafed clovers. :)

Always prefer those ... they don't even have to be green. :)

209ab3fad78104ec8c51a4ecb555c05937845b61.thumb.jpg.98ce27f63c381e70e7da14acb9ca0765.jpg

Go the H&H!

• Like 6

Paddle Out Memorial for Hobie Alter some years back in DP...

Alter's personal cat in the center. I'm in there somewhere near the outrigger canoes.

Wish I could find a photo panned out more. Way bigger crowd then shown. The dude had serious waterman brothers and sisters.

Haven't stopped pulling for you, Hobot! 

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Haven't stopped pulling for you, Hobot! 

Won't :)

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Paddle Out Memorial for Hobie Alter some years back in DP...

Alter's personal cat in the center. I'm in there somewhere near the outrigger canoes.

Wish I could find a photo panned out more. Way bigger crowd then shown. The dude had serious waterman brothers and sisters.

I know the family pretty well. Got a ride on his first (2nd?) proto cat at San O back way back then, got to test fly his new fangled skate board with gas engine on it (and one single rear wheel), I let Hobie Jr beat me in the 1965 8 years old & Under surf category, fell in love with Paula when I was 11 (and she was like 17), owned two Hobie blades and at least 5 different skateboards.....and spent a few summers just nine houses up from his D-Point shop....as Killer Dana was being destroyed.

Good memories of a really cool (and innovative) man.....:lol:

• Like 2
Two days ago, Hope was gowned and masked by the nurses to help with his care to relieve his stress.

Yesterday Hope returned to the hospital in the morning  early to stay with him and help the nurses care for him. They will allow his daughters masked and gowned in a few days to visit him as well. He is now putting whole sentences together when speaking. The doctors are still confident that he will continue to improve. There can be more possible set backs. However, hoping for the easiest and best outcome.
  • Like 29
10 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

article-0-1D3267CD00000578-173_634x422.jpg

I see me...I'm about 4 boards NE of that Hobie 14 which was actually Wayne Schaefer's not Pops' boat...

Message_1581023326933.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, boomer said:
Two days ago, Hope was gowned and masked by the nurses to help with his care to relieve his stress.

Yesterday Hope returned to the hospital in the morning  early to stay with him and help the nurses care for him. They will allow his daughters masked and gowned in a few days to visit him as well. He is now putting whole sentences together when speaking. The doctors are still confident that he will continue to improve. There can be more possible set backs. However, hoping for the easiest and best outcome.

great to hear, thanks

13 hours ago, boomer said:

you deserve to win the bestest service award for Sailing Anarchy 2021. Once it is confirmed I will mail u the award. It is a stunning  framed photo that I will be printing from my search on the internet!!!!!!!!!!. 

• Like 4

A turn for the worse now. Hobot was sedated again, then intubated again last night and put on a respirator again. All hands plus a vascular surgeon are now working desperately to save Hobot.  The drugs stemming the flow aren't working now. They cauterized the ulcers, but that didn't stem the bleeding. They just asked Hope for an OK to do a clamping procedure. They'll go in through groin, to reach the artery supplying the blood to the blood veins providing blood to the ulcers and clamp those veins off to stem the bleeding internally. They've been putting unit after unit of blood into him, and Hobot has taken another eight pints of blood. Need help - send more prayers.

Shit.    Hobot, when you recover and read this, know a lot of people you never even met are worrying about you.   

• Like 7

Bleeding ulcers are difficult. As he gets better from the virus and faces this. Interventional radiologist are very good at thrombosing (clotting) them off. Occasionally we still operate on them. Getting ready to do a perforated ulcer in the OR now. 

my prayers will be with him

thanks for updates

Bill

• Like 7
47 minutes ago, boomer said:

A turn for the worse now. Hobot was sedated again, then intubated again last night and put on a respirator again. All hands plus a vascular surgeon are now working desperately to save Hobot.  The drugs stemming the flow aren't working now. They cauterized the ulcers, but that didn't stem the bleeding. They just asked Hope for an OK to do a clamping procedure. They'll go in through groin, to reach the artery supplying the blood to the blood veins providing blood to the ulcers and clamp those veins off to stem the bleeding internally. They've been putting unit after unit of blood into him, and Hobot has taken another eight pints of blood. Need help - send more prayers.

on their way, Thanks for the update Boomer... 

• Like 4

Dammit Hobot.

When you get back here, Imma gonna go of on you for doing this shit.  
Stop that damn bleeding.  We're all rooting for you.

• Like 1

Fingers well and truly crossed.  Hang in there Hobot, please!  In this silly little internet community, people like you really matter to the rest of us.

• Like 4

I've seen enough bad endings in my lifetime....to last me 5 lifetimes. Fuk. Time to spin the S/V Hope-Bot completely around and downhill this baby with the warm tradewinds to a nameless tropical isle. 

C'mon Hobot, you can punch thru this shit.....we all know it and you've got a very large fan club here rooting for ya. So stay tough & stay focused.........

My brother had the license plate tihswa for many years before Illinois caught on.  Read it backwards and you'll get how I feel right now.  Thanks boomer for passing information on faithfully, although it might be disappointing, it is greatly appreciated.  

Hearing about the units of blood reminded me I haven't donated blood for a while.  I need to call and ask how donations and Covid vaccinations get along as I am between the two Moderna shots.  I am O- so they like me and I'm happy to do it.  I am 63 and there is no upper age limit but a lot of cautionary tales after age 70.  I urge others to do what they can; even if it means asking your kids/grandkids to donate.

I only know Hobot from this site, and primarily from the tapestry of images he has posted in what I will accurately refer to as Hobot's thread.  Help me out here, what tags would you put on his thread:

1.  Women's bodies

2.  Motorcycles

3.  Civil Unrest

<help!>

42 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Hearing about the units of blood reminded me I haven't donated blood for a while.  I need to call and ask how donations and Covid vaccinations get along as I am between the two Moderna shots.  

Did my two minutes of research, most vaccinations are a non-issue, some require a two-week waiting period.  Scheduled my blood letting for Monday afternoon.  

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

My brother had the license plate tihswa for many years before Illinois caught on.  Read it backwards and you'll get how I feel right now.  Thanks boomer for passing information on faithfully, although it might be disappointing, it is greatly appreciated.  

Hearing about the units of blood reminded me I haven't donated blood for a while.  I need to call and ask how donations and Covid vaccinations get along as I am between the two Moderna shots.  I am O- so they like me and I'm happy to do it.  I am 63 and there is no upper age limit but a lot of cautionary tales after age 70.  I urge others to do what they can; even if it means asking your kids/grandkids to donate.

I only know Hobot from this site, and primarily from the tapestry of images he has posted in what I will accurately refer to as Hobot's thread.  Help me out here, what tags would you put on his thread:

1.  Women's bodies

2.  Motorcycles

3.  Civil Unrest

<help!>

Old OC, back in the day!

Don't make me miss you more than I already do, Hobs!

The last place you want to be when you're sick is the hospital. It's loud, it's bright, they keep on pestering you everytime you doze off. It's no place to heal..... But it sometimes is necessary....

All my best wishes, and thoughts Hobot. Get better, kick ass, and take names.

• Like 2

I made a little shrine in my kitchen for H & H, orchids, candles etc... No idea if Christian, Jewish, Pastafarian or other, but it seemed like the thing to do.

Hobot shrine.jpg

• Like 11

Dammit. Hobot kick this thing and get back on your feet. If what you have done to this place is any example of what you've done in the rest of the world around you, you are still sorely needed!

WL

• Like 4

Squeaky has promised to show you her tits as soon as you're fully recovered, Hobs.

Every word of that is true except the part about Squeaky and her tits.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Hobot, FYI, Willin' calls me squeaky and so far, my tits are minimal, hairy, and private!

Fuck, I hate coffee out the nose syndrome!

• Like 3

I can't get this song out of my mind.  Having people you care for has been my life for a year or two.I'm giving blood tomorrow hoping for Hobot's recovery, we need him back.  

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Try un-snorting Mezcal......

Heh, heh, good morning Boothy. Usually I start my day with something a little less...um aggressively mind enhancing, shall we say?

Pollen season is just around the corner, I won't rule out the possibility of a tequila sneeze at some near future date. I'll report back on it when and if.

20 hours ago, P_Wop said:

I made a little shrine in my kitchen for H & H, orchids, candles etc... No idea if Christian, Jewish, Pastafarian or other, but it seemed like the thing to do.

Hobot shrine.jpg

How about calling it a shrine to the Worthwhile Anarchist?

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 4:44 AM, Grrr... said:

What self respecting doctor wears crocs?

You've obviously never worked in an OR. Lots of Crocs...

Sending all the love I can from France. The bow may be narrow and pointy, but you can hang in there.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, sailronin said:

You've obviously never worked in an OR. Lots of Crocs...

Don't see Crocs. See lots of CLOGS. Holes let the blood in.

Maybe more common on west coast, i never worked outside Mid-Atlantic.

I texted Hope twice yesterday with no response. She's frustrated and under a lot of stress. Hope texted this early this morning with no further updates, other then Hobot still clings to life.  She's having problems setting up the gofund me account, so I will set it up this afternoon, after she get's home at 1300 hrs, to get me the account and routing numbers.

Hope's text this morning: 

Hi Boomer, 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did what you told me and I can't get the account set up or kicked off. I need some help. I am at the hospital and was there all yesterday, Hobot is still on a ventilator and has had 13 units of blood. I am really frustrated.

Hope 

I  responded and said I'd set up the gofundme account and asked how Hobot is doing and if he's improving at all.

Her response::

Thank you so much, I am so tired and honestly don't know how much more I can handle. I'm a strong person, but when I see Hobot so sick and helpless it breaks my heart. I should be home at 1:00 PM.

Hope

I might add - Mark is a big guy, and now has lot so much weight - it's no doubt, heart wrenching.

Appreciate all the support from everyone. Let's stay positive for a good outcome.

• Like 3
On 4/11/2021 at 3:54 AM, Mrleft8 said:

The last place you want to be when you're sick is the hospital. It's loud, it's bright, they keep on pestering you everytime you doze off. It's no place to heal..... But it sometimes is necessary....

No shit.  The one and only time I had a little stay in an ICU was during and after a heart attack.  It was a good incentive to get the hell out of there and back in a normal room where I could rest in relative peace.

So there you go Hobot, the sooner you get things under control the sooner you can get moved to a little quieter environment!

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

No shit.  The one and only time I had a little stay in an ICU was during and after a heart attack.  It was a good incentive to get the hell out of there and back in a normal room where I could rest in relative peace.

So there you go Hobot, the sooner you get things under control the sooner you can get moved to a little quieter environment!

They're getting better. I was pretty impressed at Stanford. They let me wear my street clothes even with the IVs running. 

I've received notes and letters from friends in healthcare as well as from healthcare workers I don't know. The following are a selection of those notes and letters.

1)One a nurse anesthetist who said all last year they were, "cancelling elective surgeries that could potentially result in an ICU admission due to no ICU beds. Other hospitals are not even doing electives right now. This is a huge problem! Let’s put COVID aside for a second...not doing these surgeries alone is creating a HUGE backlog. After we get done dealing with COVID, we will then have to try to get as many of these surgeries done while doing the cases we already have scheduled for the future."

2)A Respiratory therapist said, "It's BAD, we're going into a fourth wave right now, and people don't realize how much more contagious these mutant strains are, plus we're now seeing a mutant strain that is hitting the kids and our youth.

We are about to open our third ICU for COVID at my hospital. Tons of nurses have quit and are burnt out. Therapists are on FMLA, people are getting sick from stress and burn out. Everyday I’m in such a bad mood and at wits end knowing full well I’m gonna have to go another shift with no lunch break. We’re constantly short staffed. We actually missed a few rapid responses that ended up being intubated."

"We have expanded beds in the hospital and converted them to “ICU beds”. So while most people can google ICU bed utilization in Washington and find that it isn’t 100% - they will be confused as to why we are contradicting this."

"The reason why is this: you can take an empty room and turn it into an ICU bed. It just needs electrical outlets, monitors (BP, EKG, HR, Pulse ox) oxygen, air and suction. One can place a ventilator and bed in this room and now you have an ICU bed. This is fairly simple to do. We call this retrofitting a room."

"Next piece of the equation: for covid patients, they need to be in a negative pressure room. This is a little bit more difficult to do based on different facilities, easier if they are a newer, more modern hospital, more difficult if it’s an older hospital."

"On to the next most critical piece - STAFFING. What makes an ICU, an ICU is that there are properly trained nurses, respiratory therapists, and doctors. Not to mention all the ancillary staff that make the wheels turn: housekeepers (yes, CRITICAL - I treat the housekeeping staff like the gold they are, who do you think empties the trash between surgeries or cleans the room after we have made a mess from saving a patients life??), X-ray techs, laboratory staff, transporters, pharmacists, etc..."

"It literally takes a village."

"Now imagine: we expanded our bed capacity...but how do we get staff if EVERYWHERE is starting to go to capacity and above capacity. We have a finite workforce. Even if we have unlimited supplies, remember this, we have a finite workforce. People can and will quit."

"So that might mean that now your ICU nurse is a nurse that was pulled from another unit, (she/he may be very adept at the specialty they were working in) but now is under the burden of having to learn something new and under pressure. Last week your nurse was scrubbing in surgery and now is your ICU nurse. How do you feel about that? What if they take the first year internal medicine resident and reassign him to manage patients without much oversight in the ICU? How you feel about that? This is what would happen in lower income and third world countries, but is now happening in America."

"The last pieces of the puzzle are supplies and medications. Again, we DO NOT have unlimited amounts of these."

"Next, this all costs money. Who is paying for it? An ICU stay for just one day is EXORBITANT."

"Now, imagine your 75 year old mother or grandmother who has heart disease, diabetes and COPD needs to be admitted to the ICU but there are no beds...yes, now we have come to nightmare scenario. Care can and will be rationed."

"So the take home message: "STAY HOME."

"We’re well and truly fucked, because people aren't staying at home. Nor masking up when they go out, washing hand and taking it seriously. If there is one thing I can say, after seeing people not masking up - please mask up not only for yourself, but for everyone else, too."

3)Another friend called after seeing my Facebook post. She was too tired to get on and write after a long couple day shift. She's a ICU RN in Seattle - this is what she said;. It's getting busy again, not worse than this past winter, but it's increasing towards exponential proportions again. One thing that is different, we now allow visitors for Covid+ patients who are actively dying, so we do not have to facetime patient deaths as much anymore. (That was gut wrenching.) Some non intubated patients still deny that they have it. One patient said "I have been tested 3 times, and each time was WRONG!" On a positive note, I really love the group that I work with, despite the insanely short staffing and chaos. Without them, it would be game over for me.

4)Then I started getting messages from people I've never met. Like this one: Healthcare but I do not work in the ICU. We have been dealing with supply shortages. Masks, gloves, certain meds, etc. Essential things that are usually easy to get. This had been a reoccurring problem that has become worst, not better, over the course of the pandemic.

5)Hello. Cancer inpatient nurse here.

I. Am. Scared.

Not for myself. I am terrified for my patients who have to have chemo and have their immune systems destroyed. Then a visitor comes in and gives them COVID???! Fuck!

I'm not trained to take care of ICU patients. Have I done it? Yes. I'm not trained to take care of step-down icu patients. Have I? YES. We are stretched so thin.

We have 4 inpatient med surg units turned into covid units. Our ICUs are full. We are already more than 100 cases over our April peak last year - and its going to get worse. I'm so fucking scared.

6)I just finished a 24 hour shift working in Surgical services, we also tend to patients in the ICU to change their invasive monitoring lines when they expire. I witnessed a doctor tell a nurse that the patient in the next room I was working in wished not to be put on a ventilator. The Dr told the nurse that since there's restrictions to visitors this would likely be a end of life scenario and the family would be able to stay indefinitely.

It's real, it's bad and the best cure is to stay home. Keep your family, friends, even your asshole neighbor safe.

7)I’m an EDT, I work in MD. I can say I honestly cried this week. I’ve been burnt out for the past several weeks (due to all the Covid over the winter). This is our “fourth wave”, i called it weeks ago when I saw the first positive test after not seeing anything for two shifts in a row. We knew this would happen. Today I cried because my sister caught it, which spread it to my dad, which will likely spread to my mother (who is also a nurse with comorbidities), and that will spread to my brother. I stay with my boyfriend who is a medic and I cried over the fact that people aren’t listening. They’re being stupid. And it breaks my heart because I can’t see my family that I reside with 90% of the time. I’m sad I can’t even go home and see my cat without thinking I’ll get exposed. Stay home, please.

8)Not from Seattle but ED nurse in another state. It's horrible. Our 60ish bed ED was running out of only 3 or 4 rooms since inpatient holds were occupying almost all of the ED rooms. 30 deep in the waiting room and literally nowhere to move anyone means it's a really bad time to have an emergency.

9)It is horrible. We have lost so many healthcare workers and haven’t hired replacements. The patients just keep coming. We're going to be is trouble these next few weeks again, like this past winter. It fuckin sucks. Working basically mandatory overtime again. Short staffed every shift. Can’t give great patient care due to heavy patient loads. No vacations. Still don’t have adequate testing. Can’t wait for most to get vaccinated - that's the only thing that will slow it down, if everyone doesn't wear masks.

10)In my hospital we have 4x the COVID patients we had 8 weeks ago, ~150 staff sick or quarantined. Our dedicated COVID beds are almost 100% occupied meaning they are going to cut into other units. ICU nurses are now tripling up. No announcements, but postponing/canceling elective procedures seems pre-ordained. We can manage for now, but the curve isn’t doing anything other than exponentially increasing.

I can’t help but be bitter at all the people that didn’t think THEY needed to wear masks, didn’t see WHY they shouldn’t go to that party or that bar or that restaurant and just went back to life as normal because they were “just tired of it”. The blame ultimately rests with our former feckless leader who sowed doubts about all of it and who was cowed and dominated by the crazy fringe.

The healthcare system and our society is going to bear the brunt of people’s selfishness. My coworkers and I risk getting sick and dying all because people couldn’t be bothered to wear a fucking mask.

• Like 10
48 minutes ago, Raz&#x27;r said:

They're getting better. I was pretty impressed at Stanford. They let me wear my street clothes even with the IVs running. 

I was in a German hospital.  I don't think I need to say any more.

• Like 2