Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a lot of work ahead of me still. I am and isolation for 2 weeks still at the new facility. I have so much to say to all of you that and so much for Hope and I, My heart has been touched an

Hobot was kept on a drug that put a protective layer over the ulcer yesterday and last night. The bleeding has been stemmed. He was taken off the respirator this morning. However his blood pressure ke

It appears as if Hobot is on the road to recovery. He's propped in his hospital bed up and alert, cutting it up with his nurses. He's also being combative with one of his doctors a tall blonde Doctor

Posted Images

Mark continues to improve throughout the day. Since there have been so many setbacks, we're keeping our fingers crossed, but will wait for a few days of continued progress, before we get our hopes to high. With clear lungs that are now staying clear, the pneumonia has probably been beaten. I knock on wood, least we have another setback. Hope was in tears when donations started to roll in today. Thanks to everyone who has donated - very, very much appreciated.  Thank you all again! 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, boomer said:

I just set up a go fund me page for Hobot and added a donation to get the ball rolling.

Any donation no matter how small would be helpful and appreciated.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-mark-vraney?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf share-flow-1&fbclid=IwAR3C0V2T7OBysBjdNgRM1-wFYNOMscQ4hVv0jgpXN83iSDl1Bz-uGl07yxc

Done.  Continued wishes for a full recovery.

And, thank you, Boomer.  Appreciate you keeping us informed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, boomer said:

I texted Hope twice yesterday with no response. She's frustrated and under a lot of stress. Hope texted this early this morning with no further updates, other then Hobot still clings to life.  She's having problems setting up the gofund me account, so I will set it up this afternoon, after she get's home at 1300 hrs, to get me the account and routing numbers.

Hope's text this morning: 

Hi Boomer, 

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did what you told me and I can't get the account set up or kicked off. I need some help. I am at the hospital and was there all yesterday, Hobot is still on a ventilator and has had 13 units of blood. I am really frustrated.

Hope 

I  responded and said I'd set up the gofundme account and asked how Hobot is doing and if he's improving at all.

Her response::

Thank you so much, I am so tired and honestly don't know how much more I can handle. I'm a strong person, but when I see Hobot so sick and helpless it breaks my heart. I should be home at 1:00 PM.

Hope

 

I might add - Mark is a big guy, and now has lot so much weight - it's no doubt, heart wrenching.

Appreciate all the support from everyone. Let's stay positive for a good outcome.

Has Hope read this thread?

Knowing that there is this  community that has sprung up around her and supporting both her and hobot has got to be a source of strength?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Hope read the thread, and got support from it, and was surprised Hobot had such a large support group of sailors. However with the onslaught of setbacks last week that last through the weekend, she was frustrated and quite a bit overwhelmed.

We talked for about an hour and a half today, while we jumped through all the hoops to get the gofundme page set up. Once we were done there was much relief by both of us, as the gofundme site, made what should have been simple, quite difficult.

Hope is quite appreciative of the sailing community here on SA, and is still a bit overwhelmed that so many sailors are lending support and now donating.

Here's a short brief on why we had difficulty setting up the account at gofundme: I had originally set the gofundme account up on my computer, and gave her the name and the password to the account - which she tried to get into on her computer - and therein lay the difficulty in doing the final set up of adding account and routing numbers. - Most sites alert on a change of computers and devices.

After the site wouldn't let her in, I suggested we change the password to the account. Half a dozen times she set up a new password and was denied, then finally blocked after repeated attempts. Gofundme doesn't have a contact number, just a help page, with a contact request, with generic answers that wasn't helping. Then I found on the site another contact page, that connected me with a live operator.

Once I explained the two different computers, they let Hope change the password. Then she had difficulty adding the account numbers. I then signed into the account with the new password, and was able to add the routing and account numbers.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boomer said:

I've used all my likes up for the day gentlemen. Thank you very much for your donations. Much appreciated!

in ... thanks for helping her get it set up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boomer said:

Mark continues to improve throughout the day. Since there have been so many setbacks, we're keeping our fingers crossed, but will wait for a few days of continued progress, before we get our hopes to high. With clear lungs that are now staying clear, the pneumonia has probably been beaten. I knock on wood, least we have another setback. Hope was in tears when donations started to roll in today. Thanks to everyone who has donated - very, very much appreciated.  Thank you all again! 

You can knock on my head any time....very dense wood.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boomer said:

Yes Hope read the thread, and got support from it, and was surprised Hobot had such a large support group of sailors. However with the onslaught of setbacks last week that last through the weekend, she was frustrated and quite a bit overwhelmed.

We talked for about an hour and a half today, while we jumped through all the hoops to get the gofundme page set up. Once we were done there was much relief by both of us, as the gofundme site, made what should have been simple, quite difficult.

Hope is quite appreciative of the sailing community here on SA, and is still a bit overwhelmed that so many sailors are lending support and now donating.

Here's a short brief on why we had difficulty setting up the account at gofundme: I had originally set the gofundme account up on my computer, and gave her the name and the password to the account - which she tried to get into on her computer - and therein lay the difficulty in doing the final set up of adding account and routing numbers. - Most sites alert on a change of computers and devices.

After the site wouldn't let her in, I suggested we change the password to the account. Half a dozen times she set up a new password and was denied, then finally blocked after repeated attempts. Gofundme doesn't have a contact number, just a help page, with a contact request, with generic answers that wasn't helping. Then I found on the site another contact page, that connected me with a live operator.

Once I explained the two different computers, they let Hope change the password. Then she had difficulty adding the account numbers. I then signed into the account with the new password, and was able to add the routing and account numbers.

Yes, my bank, Chase kept blocking my donation through their fraud division. It took tree attpts to complete the donation.

Never had any problem with retail charges going through... even fraudulent ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Point Break said:

I shudder at the blood and body fluid exposures over my years of service. But I think I’ll save those stories for another thread, another time. Hoping the best for Hobot.

Save the stories for that book you keep promising to write.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I sent a few złoty Hobot's way.  Every groszek counts!

Go the Hobot.

It does.  Better report EOD yesterday.  Keep it up Hobot!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking of Hotbot in these troubled times and sending good vibes.  

Many thanks to Boomer for the updates topo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, boomer said:

Mark continues to improve throughout the day. Since there have been so many setbacks, we're keeping our fingers crossed, but will wait for a few days of continued progress, before we get our hopes to high. With clear lungs that are now staying clear, the pneumonia has probably been beaten. I knock on wood, least we have another setback. Hope was in tears when donations started to roll in today. Thanks to everyone who has donated - very, very much appreciated.  Thank you all again! 

Glad for this bit of good news and hope the trend continues.  A light in an otherwise dark day for me.  Just reached out to a sailor friend I hadn't talked to in a bit to learn that he has esophageal and lung cancer and is undergoing chemo.  Just sold his long loved trimaran.  Damn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Cal20Sailor reports he's well enough to advise Hope to steer clear of this lot.  ;) 
Last I heard. 

Go the 'Bot!

That's awesome.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears as if Hobot is on the road to recovery. He's propped in his hospital bed up and alert, cutting it up with his nurses. He's also being combative with one of his doctors a tall blonde Doctor who Hope says looks like a Barbie Doll, walks around on air, and has total disregard for everyone beneath her including Hope, and ignoring her questions.

The one doctor who is down to earth, whom was Hobot's primary care doctor, whom Hobot gets along with. Whom with the nurses was responsible for saving Hobots life, along with the vascular surgeon who clamped off the veins leading to the bleeding ulcers, is forthwith with every question by Hope. He has concern for Hobot and everyone - the nurses, the other doctors, Hope. Whom is a young Russian immigrant with a broken accent, who studied here at the U of W.

Hope hasn't told Hobot about the GFM donations, and will probably break the news to him today.

It's quite nice to see the GFM donations exceed $10, 000 this morning. I thank all you sailors for coming through in a time of need. Words can not express my and Hope's gratitude.

Thank you all!

  • Like 32
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boomer said:

It appears as if Hobot is on the road to recovery. He's propped in his hospital bed up and alert, cutting it up with his nurses. He's also being combative with one of his doctors a tall blonde Doctor who Hope says looks like a Barbie Doll, walks around on air, and has total disregard for everyone beneath her including Hope, and ignoring her questions.

Sadly, my experience has been that many of the asshole docs have been the most effective.

Awesome news on his recovery!  He had me scared.  This is a great community and so happy we're looking out for our own.  Boomer, you have been great, does the name come from time on an Ohio class?  My second guess is that you fart a lot!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Besides being born a boomer, then working in a trade where we moved around from state to state or country to country if necessary - booming - there's a lot of reasons for the handle, including working around friction rigs and Derrick Barges for 41 years, and active duty Seabees for four years, and 24 years as a Seabee Reservist - and in that trade, sometimes it means working up to our ears in mud or water and sometimes underwater.

maw.jpg

maw2.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

 My second guess is that you fart a lot!

As a diver, Mr. Boomer has to live with the consequences of any self inflicted gaseous release while wearing a dive helmet.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, boomer said:

...including working around friction rigs

Nice work experience, it sounds exciting and challenging.  I like those red and white cranes.

But Boomer, most of us men here have extensive experience with a friction rig, except we just call it a right hand.  Just sayin'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boomer said:

It appears as if Hobot is on the road to recovery. He's propped in his hospital bed up and alert, cutting it up with his nurses. He's also being combative with one of his doctors a tall blonde Doctor who Hope says looks like a Barbie Doll, walks around on air, and has total disregard for everyone beneath her including Hope, and ignoring her questions.

The one doctor who is down to earth, whom was Hobot's primary care doctor, whom Hobot gets along with. Whom with the nurses was responsible for saving Hobots life, along with the vascular surgeon who clamped off the veins leading to the bleeding ulcers, is forthwith with every question by Hope. He has concern for Hobot and everyone - the nurses, the other doctors, Hope. Whom is a young Russian immigrant with a broken accent, who studied here at the U of W.

Hope hasn't told Hobot about the GFM donations, and will probably break the news to him today.

It's quite nice to see the GFM donations exceed $10, 000 this morning. I thank all you sailors for coming through in a time of need. Words can not express my and Hope's gratitude.

Thank you all!

Thanks for keeping us informed, and providing a means for us/me to make a donation.

Continuing to send positive vibes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Nice work experience, it sounds exciting and challenging.  I like those red and white cranes.

But Boomer, most of us men here have extensive experience with a friction rig, except we just call it a right hand.  Just sayin'.

No doubt about that ED!

It's not for everyone, and takes a different breed of cat to work long hours in the winter with the rain or snow coming down sideways. Piledriving 'Fishery Window' season in the salt waterways is from Aug 15 to February 15. Hobot and I sailed together and he worked in the trade for me at Manson, too.

A friction rig or friction crane is a land based lattice boom crane crawler or water based derrick barge or a friction crane crawler on a barge, that uses clutches and foot brakes for load control instead of a hydraulic system as with modern lattice boom cranes. Your very largest derrick barges all all friction lattice boom cranes. Friction cranes are no longer manufactured; however, many are still in use on job sites. Since these cranes are still in service and their operation is completely different than their modern counterpart, it is important for the accrediting agency as well as the construction company to train with a four year union program and a couple years of yard experience before demonstrating operator skills on the crane types they are expected to operate.

https://www.mansonconstruction.com/what-we-do/fleet#Derrick Barges and Clamshell Dredges/827154

 

pier57d.jpg

pier57e.jpg

ptwsf.jpg

ptwsf3.jpg

water2.jpg

water3.jpg

water15.jpg

water14.jpg

water12.jpg

water10.jpg

water11.jpg

water7.jpg

water8b.JPG

water6.jpg

 

derrick-barge-wotan.jpg

water4.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Windward said:

As a diver, Mr. Boomer has to live with the consequences of any self inflicted gaseous release while wearing a dive helmet.  

The one thing you cant take out of the enclosed atmosphere.  Which is why the space shuttles always smelled like boiled cabbage when they landed until they were cleaned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used my limit of likes for the last 24 hours. Many thanks to all who donated.

It would be nice to see that $25K figure met. I set the end date for this GFM at 90 days .

Any amount would be appreciated as once he's healed up he's facing a staggered double hip replacement.

Mark has a tough road ahead this coming year, and a few of us including Kim would like to get him back out on the water. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boomer said:

Used my limit of likes for the last 24 hours. Many thanks to all who donated.

It would be nice to see that $25K figure met. I set the end date for this GFM at 90 days .

Any amount would be appreciated as once he's healed up he's facing a staggered double hip replacement.

Mark has a tough road ahead this coming year, and a few of us including Kim would like to get him back out on the water. 

As the current owner of a 3 year old double hip replacement, I’d be surprised if they are willing to do it until some time after the virus. Hip infections of the prosthesis are a hell of a thing to get through. Believe me I know. A virus is less likely an infectious agent than a bacteria but a recovering or compromised immune is ripe for a secondary opportunistic bacterial infection.   .....it’s a very very bad thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Point Break said:

As the current owner of a 3 year old double hip replacement, I’d be surprised if they are willing to do it until some time after the virus. Hip infections of the prosthesis are a hell of a thing to get through. Believe me I know. A virus is less likely an infectious agent than a bacteria but a recovering or compromised immune is ripe for a secondary opportunistic bacterial infection.   .....it’s a very very bad thing. 

My wife lived without a hip joint for 5 months while they tried to cure a replacement joint gone septic.  Went from long-distance hiking and sailing to permanently needing a walker.  Her immune system had been ravaged by chemo so she was a ready and waiting target for bacteria.  

Any weakness from Covid has got to be resolved, from my purely non-professional view from standing on the (lucky, so far) medical sidelines.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

My wife lived without a hip joint for 5 months while they tried to cure a replacement joint gone septic.  Went from long-distance hiking and sailing to permanently needing a walker.  Her immune system had been ravaged by chemo so she was a ready and waiting target for bacteria.  

Any weakness from Covid has got to be resolved, from my purely non-professional view from standing on the (lucky, so far) medical sidelines.

 

I'm scared shitless from Covid and I'd really like to shoot the assholes not wearing a mask, but I won't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The University of Washington's Dr. Howard Chansky a Professor and Chair of the Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, who's specialty  is hip replacements, who's also a specialist in bone and soft tissue tumors, volunteered to do both hip replacements several months ago. He won't proceed without making sure Mark is fully healed and any issues resolved.

https://orthop.washington.edu/faculty-profiles/howard-a-chansky-md.html

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I'm scared shitless from Covid and I'd really like to shoot the assholes not wearing a mask, but I won't.

Butte that inclinatione ist badde as we sawe in "Do the ritte thinge" that in itselfe ist the probelme..........        :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I'm scared shitless from Covid and I'd really like to shoot the assholes not wearing a mask, but I won't.

My wife's view is that if she gets Covid she will die.  And if I get Covid, she will get it.  From everything I read, and from what I see Hobot and others going through, she is very likely correct.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Is he lookeng foire a bowman?

Hope set this up. Working 40+ years in healthcare, she knew exactly who she wanted to do the surgery.

During the past five years Mark has missed several windows of opportunity to get the replacement/s done.

So I got hold of Hope, and we set this up in such a way that Mark got signed up with healthcare, under the watchfull eye of Hope, with the plan, no matter what, Mark was going to get a hip replacement. Hope did the rest of the footwork, choosing the best surgeon in the area - who volunteered to do the surgery no charge - but with the cavet, it had to be in a teaching environment on the U of W.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, boomer said:

Hope set this up. Working 40+ years in healthcare, she knew exactly who she wanted to do the surgery.

During the past five years Mark has missed several windows of opportunity to get the replacement/s done.

So I got hold of Hope, and we set this up in such a way that Mark got signed up with healthcare, under the watchfull eye of Hope, with the plan, no matter what, Mark was going to get a hip replacement. Hope did the rest of the footwork, choosing the best surgeon in the area - who volunteered to do the surgery no charge - but with the cavet, it had to be in a teaching environment on the U of W.

Two takeaways from this, living in the USA:  Always go to a teaching hospital; if you work for said hospital, you will get the best doctors and care available .  I’m sure Hobot is getting the best of care, with Hope as his advocate.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm one of those space alien creatures who've actually had two complete sets of Wisdom teeth yanked. First set of four when I was 19.....second set of four when I was 23. First time I went to the hospital I was born in in So Cal....and I think they charged me like $25.00 (1975). Next time they came in I was 1200 miles away at the bottom of Baja in '79 with my Gal-Pal Stace.....who unfortunately couldn't drive my '65 Econoline pickup with 3-on-a-tree. Long story short, three daze, 50 cotton balls and 2 bottles of whiskey later, we limp into the Little Company of Mary parking lot, I drunk stumbled through the main doors and mumble out my issues. After some back door discussions they said they would pull 'em out for free....but there would be a half dozen dental students there watching it all happen. Unfortunately they didn't put me completely out, it took almost 3 hours from start to finish.....and it hurt like hell. But when you're young & broke....what else are ya gonna do?......:lol:

FB_IMG_1582904160181.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

My wife lived without a hip joint for 5 months while they tried to cure a replacement joint gone septic.  Went from long-distance hiking and sailing to permanently needing a walker.  Her immune system had been ravaged by chemo so she was a ready and waiting target for bacteria.  

Any weakness from Covid has got to be resolved, from my purely non-professional view from standing on the (lucky, so far) medical sidelines.

 

Yep, I’m 4 months into my infected hip prosthesis. We (my ortho Doc and I) elected a different surgery than the explant and spacer your wife had. That was discussed. If the current less difficult approach I had in December of open it up, pull it apart again, irrigate, debride, replace the “plastic” parts, close up with antibiotic beads and home with big followup antibiotics via a PICC line for 3 months (which I just finished) is not successful then I’ll be headed to your wife’s surgery next......maybe. There are a few other complications I won’t bore you with but yes an infected hip replacement is no fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, boomer said:

No doubt about that ED!

It's not for everyone, and takes a different breed of cat to work long hours in the winter with the rain or snow coming down sideways. Piledriving 'Fishery Window' season in the salt waterways is from Aug 15 to February 15. Hobot and I sailed together and he worked in the trade for me at Manson, too.

A friction rig or friction crane is a land based lattice boom crane crawler or water based derrick barge or a friction crane crawler on a barge, that uses clutches and foot brakes for load control instead of a hydraulic system as with modern lattice boom cranes. Your very largest derrick barges all all friction lattice boom cranes. Friction cranes are no longer manufactured; however, many are still in use on job sites. Since these cranes are still in service and their operation is completely different than their modern counterpart, it is important for the accrediting agency as well as the construction company to train with a four year union program and a couple years of yard experience before demonstrating operator skills on the crane types they are expected to operate.

https://www.mansonconstruction.com/what-we-do/fleet#Derrick Barges and Clamshell Dredges/827154

 

Nice construction porn!  I've always liked that stuff since I was a kid, and I still stop at construction sights to rubberneck whenever possible.

I have a little crane collection.

 

Cranes.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I'm scared shitless from Covid and I'd really like to shoot the assholes not wearing a mask, but I won't.

The biggest thing with this is you just don't know what it's going to do to you if you get it.  I caught it in mid-March after attending an open regatta.  At 54 I've been a careful "masker" through the whole thing.  I'm pretty good shape but was terrified.  My first test, a rapid test came back negative.  I found out 2 days later it was a failed test when I hauled my 6 yr old kid and myself to the Doctor for a PCR test.  Both positive.  It bothered my kid for 2 days and put me mostly out of commission for 10 days, but a full month on recovery, (assuming no unknown future issues come from this.  Again, what we DON'T know).  I got very lucky.  A younger guy in my workout group who is in much better shape than me, (like one of those MMA dudes) had it and it put him down for 3 months with the hospital stay and whole 9 yards.   My whole family is vaccinated and/or carrying some immunity right now but we still mask up when leaving the house and social distance.  This thing ain't over....

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen many catch the virus and go through it without almost noticing (including my 88yo uncle) and I've seen a 49yo friend of a friend die in a month and a half.

My (uninformed) take is that is a bit of a lottery with genetics, previous health condition and amount of virus in your system being the most likely to win tickets.

Stay strong Hobbot!

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RobbieB said:

The biggest thing with this is you just don't know what it's going to do to you if you get it.  I caught it in mid-March after attending an open regatta.  At 54 I've been a careful "masker" through the whole thing.  I'm pretty good shape but was terrified.  My first test, a rapid test came back negative.  I found out 2 days later it was a failed test when I hauled my 6 yr old kid and myself to the Doctor for a PCR test.  Both positive.  It bothered my kid for 2 days and put me mostly out of commission for 10 days, but a full month on recovery, (assuming no unknown future issues come from this.  Again, what we DON'T know).  I got very lucky.  A younger guy in my workout group who is in much better shape than me, (like one of those MMA dudes) had it and it put him down for 3 months with the hospital stay and whole 9 yards.   My whole family is vaccinated and/or carrying some immunity right now but we still mask up when leaving the house and social distance.  This thing ain't over....

Smart to keep masking up with the variants now spreading. My brother's family had it 3 months ago, well before us. They now have it again and are seriously ill. Starting to feel like this is never going to end. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LenP said:

Smart to keep masking up with the variants now spreading. My brother's family had it 3 months ago, well before us. They now have it again and are seriously ill. Starting to feel like this is never going to end. 

This is what scares me the most.  I have to wait about 45 more days before I can get the vaccine but you can bet your ass I'm getting it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

This is what scares me the most.  I have to wait about 45 more days before I can get the vaccine but you can bet your ass I'm getting it!

That is interesting, the health dept here told us no need to wait for the vaccine. I am 3 weeks removed from first symptoms and scheduled for the 27th. As long as I am not still actively fighting the virus I want it as soon as possible. Did they say why they want you to wait? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, LenP said:

That is interesting, the health dept here told us no need to wait for the vaccine. I am 3 weeks removed from first symptoms and scheduled for the 27th. As long as I am not still actively fighting the virus I want it as soon as possible. Did they say why they want you to wait? 

Same here. 10 days after no symptoms I got a shot. Michigan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LenP said:

That is interesting, the health dept here told us no need to wait for the vaccine. I am 3 weeks removed from first symptoms and scheduled for the 27th. As long as I am not still actively fighting the virus I want it as soon as possible. Did they say why they want you to wait? 

Actually my Dr's office said current CDC guidelines was to wait 90 days.  I'm planning to get in earlier at 45 days.  I have a friend who got her shot 30 days after having COVID and had a major set back.  So, I was thinking about splitting the difference and getting it around mid-May.

Edited by RobbieB
Ad info
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Thanks, booms for that glimpse into your office, 

I spent most of one day in Bambi season (binocs across a canyon) watching a logging crew.

fascinating , yet scary to think about if things go south

Yes Mike - in my trade - Things can and do south in the blink of an eye, and I worked hard to ensure that accidents were minimized or didn't happen on jobs I supervised - and feel fortunate no one died under my watch.

I have seen men killed on other crews killed, crushed, heads taken off when a headache ball two-blocked and the cable sheered off and the ball took the guys head off right through the deck.

My #1 foreman who've I spoke of before here and I, had a new operator two-block a headache ball right above us as we rigged a heavy steel fabrication - four feet between us, both bent ove, making up the shackles for the rigging and the headache ball landed between us, less then two feet away from both our heads.

I did have a Labor Foreman who lost the toes and end of a foot in 1989 on the Hylebos Waterway Bridge demo and replacement, because he made the unsafe decision to clean the pile cap under the deck demolition of the concrete above him - he should have never been down there and knew it. It wasn't an enjoyable evening I spend in the hospital with him - after that I said never again. A Job Hazard Analysis was written up, for every step of every operation we did from start to finish including cleanup. If a worker perform any task on my jobs, they had to read and sign the JHA for that task.

EVERY morning started with a safety meeting, followed by a detailed step by step of the game plan, in order of every operation, for that day.  The do and don'ts were reviewed, and everyone always reminded to stay out of the bight - and keep digits and limps out of the bight. Daily the crew was reminded to use all their senses - sight, sound, smell and most of all gut instinct > when you know or feel something is dangerous or can go wrong > then stop, look, listen > turn around and observe what's causing your intuition alarms to be going off. When those intuition bells and alarms go off in your head, never second guess them 99.9% of the time your intuition is spot on.

I retired in the winter of 2007/2008 with my retirement papers sitting on my desk all spring at home living on my own dime. Late in the spring I awoke, and said, "I do believe it's time and will sign those papers and send them into the Trust."

Just as I was reviewing them before signing, the phone rang. It was Manson, and a deck engineer, a real go-getter, an operating engineers mechanic on my old rig had been crushed by the counterweight. A real go-getter in the yard, she had spent a year in the yard learning all the do's and don't's.

I knew exactly why it happened, when I was told what happened. She was trying to prove herself to the General Foreman, (Whom I knew, didn't like women in our trade). She put herself in a dangerous situation welding the handrail on the edge of a stairwell, that vibration had caused the welds to weaken. Wearing her hearing protection under her welding hood, she didn't pay attention to the derrick engine or note she was standing within the yellow ring and yellow lines of the stand clear zone. She didn't see the counterweight of the crane as it approached and then crushed her into the stairwell. The operator effected deeply by losing his deck hand, took a year off. The Super requested a transfer to a offshore job in Mexico.

I came back for four and a half more years till November of 2012, till just before the installation of the false work for the foundation of Seattle's Great Wheel. If your reading and feeling your intuition, you feel it right in the middle of your face under your nose. I had been feeling that for some time, because I was getting to old to be out there doing this business with my men and women.

Sure, I could have stayed in the safety of the office, doing paperwork, planning, interviews and the myriad of other duties. But I had always hired others for most the office work, other then approvals, meetings, and writing the dailies(job progress)reports. I stayed out in the field, not bird dogging my crew, but rather watching over my people, seeing to their safety and teaching them the tricks I had learned.

Eight and a half years later, I still miss it - you don't miss the work or the danger - you miss the people, working with them and seeing them go home after a properly orchestrated day.

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I give Scot shit, but he stepped up.  

he may have stepped up, but that's no reason not to give him shit :P

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Actually my Dr's office said current CDC guidelines was to wait 90 days.  I'm planning to get in earlier at 45 days.  I have a friend who got her shot 30 days after having COVID and had a major set back.  So, I was thinking about splitting the difference and getting it around mid-May.

I believe the 90 days was because you are immune for 90 days as best they can tell and they wanted to get the most people vaccinated and immune as soon as possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Actually my Dr's office said current CDC guidelines was to wait 90 days.  I'm planning to get in earlier at 45 days.  I have a friend who got her shot 30 days after having COVID and had a major set back.  So, I was thinking about splitting the difference and getting it around mid-May.

Your doc needs to read it again.  The document is a bit fuzzy.  I know NY, Mass and NH are saying as long as you don't have active symptoms and are "generally healthy" go get the vaccine.

 

NH explicitly told me 7 days after my wife tested positive and 3 days after I tested negative to get the vaccine if I could and breaking quartine to do so was acceptable.  I had access to a rapid test that I took 3 hours prior to leaving for the vaccine to be doubly sure.

That said I was vaccinated in the 1B group back in Feb even though I spent all of Feb in quartine as my wife and then my 6 month old son tested positive.  

I never tested positive even living at home with my wife(masked and positive) and a 6month old who was breastfeeding.

Pretty certain masks and social distancing work as we live in a 1500 sqft home.  

 

Currently both of us are done and most of our immedaite family so social gatherings are mask less if it is a small crowd.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

he may have stepped up, but that's no reason not to give him shit :P

, won't be too much longer and we can all gather 'round, sing kumbaya,and kick Scott's ass about Hobot's  thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching cases rise and hearing how my BIL and nephew are STILL battling it, more than 3 months out.  BIL has a brain fog that won't quit, jeopardizing his business.  Nephew had to go to a 1/2 schedule at school and was diagnosed with Post-exertional Malaise.  I'd never heard of it, but it seems like it has set up for him much like those who battle Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  15 year old kid who can't get out of bed without becoming exhausted.

Wear the fucking mask and get the shot, when you can.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

With all this worrying about one human’s life, I’m ok with the idea of the thread being gone. There won’t be another like it if Hobot doesn’t resurrect it when he has the free time.

I’ll take the Hobot over  the thread any day!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

If he gets long haul COVID symptoms, I think doing the hips will become lower priority unless he has significant pain at rest or with minimal activity.  COVID recovery itself is very limiting on physical exertion when it hurts to breathe and your heart is doing crazy shit.  Hopefully he can avoid that, but it sounds like he's already been to hell and back.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, peragrin said:

Your doc needs to read it again.  The document is a bit fuzzy.  I know NY, Mass and NH are saying as long as you don't have active symptoms and are "generally healthy" go get the vaccine.

 

NH explicitly told me 7 days after my wife tested positive and 3 days after I tested negative to get the vaccine if I could and breaking quartine to do so was acceptable.  I had access to a rapid test that I took 3 hours prior to leaving for the vaccine to be doubly sure.

That said I was vaccinated in the 1B group back in Feb even though I spent all of Feb in quartine as my wife and then my 6 month old son tested positive.  

I never tested positive even living at home with my wife(masked and positive) and a 6month old who was breastfeeding.

Pretty certain masks and social distancing work as we live in a 1500 sqft home.  

 

Currently both of us are done and most of our immedaite family so social gatherings are mask less if it is a small crowd.  

Thanks- I'm getting signed up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

If he gets long haul COVID symptoms, I think doing the hips will become lower priority unless he has significant pain at rest or with minimal activity.  COVID recovery itself is very limiting on physical exertion when it hurts to breathe and your heart is doing crazy shit.  Hopefully he can avoid that, but it sounds like he's already been to hell and back.  

Asked hope about that yesterday. Fortunately since beating the pneumonia and weened off the sedatives he hasn't had a problem breathing and doesn't need oxygen. However he can only speak low and quietly due to being intubated twice. The one thing he seems to be suffering from is - his short term memory isn't up to par yet. He also appears to be suffer from a malaise which is apparently common in about 30% of the COVID survivors, and manifests itself with a bit of brain fogginess. He's also been a bit cranky as he weened off the sedatives, but once again the Doc said this was common for being sedated that long. Hope told him about the GFM yesterday, but Hope said, "he didn't understand why the GFM was set up, and was surprised so many have donated." Other then that, he gets to try and eat solid foods today.

Once again, I can't thank everyone enough for their generosity for their donations. and yes the donations are much needed, no matter what or how Mark's brain fog is effecting him. Thanks again sailors, the donations are very much appreciated.

So if I don't answer right away, it's because I'll be driving. Off to my prosthetic guy to get the final fitting for my new compression shuttle lock sailing socket, because this suction socket is a PITA sailing, losing suction on every tack or piece of rough water. It will be a pleasure to go back to the compression shuttle lock socket. Also with the toe/ heel action triggering the bending or stiffening of the knee, I can also see why sailors used peg legs back in the day.

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kimbottles said:

Boomer is one hell of a guy!

You and Bob speak highly of him, that's enough for me.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick update for everyone, after talking with Hope this morning.

Mark is eating solid food as of yesterday. He has to really chew a lot before swallowing, because his throat is still sore from being intubated. He's getting along  well with Hope and the medical staff.

His hand restraints were removed, but only if he promised not to pull out tubes, which is why he had restraints. His feeding tube was removed this morning, because he got two meals down yesterday.

He will be moved out of ICU and up to the next floor soon - perhaps today or tomorrow. No word on how long till he's released - hopefully this week - I know I'd be wanting to get out of there, or plotting my escape.

We heard originally that he was going to another facility for physical and occupational therapy, but that changed. He will get to go home, and got to a close by physical & occupational therapist 2-3 days a week.

Hope said this morning, he talked with his daughters on the phone yesterday, and  he may call this here afternoon.

Hope also talked with his orthopedic surgeon yesterday for an approx date for his double hip replacement - probably not till July at the earliest, and only if fully recovered.

  • Like 24
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, boomer said:

A quick update for everyone, after talking with Hope this morning.

Mark is eating solid food as of yesterday. He has to really chew a lot before swallowing, because his throat is still sore from being intubated. He's getting along  well with Hope and the medical staff.

His hand restraints were removed, but only if he promised not to pull out tubes, which is why he had restraints. His feeding tube was removed this morning, because he got two meals down yesterday.

He will be moved out of ICU and up to the next floor soon - perhaps today or tomorrow. No word on how long till he's released - hopefully this week - I know I'd be wanting to get out of there, or plotting my escape.

We heard originally that he was going to another facility for physical and occupational therapy, but that changed. He will get to go home, and got to a close by physical & occupational therapist 2-3 days a week.

Hope said this morning, he talked with his daughters on the phone yesterday, and  he may call this here afternoon.

Hope also talked with his orthopedic surgeon yesterday for an approx date for his double hip replacement - probably not till July at the earliest, and only if fully recovered.

thanks

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites