Best news 

• Like 6
  • Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a lot of work ahead of me still. I am and isolation for 2 weeks still at the new facility. I have so much to say to all of you that and so much for Hope and I, My heart has been touched an

Hobot was kept on a drug that put a protective layer over the ulcer yesterday and last night. The bleeding has been stemmed. He was taken off the respirator this morning. However his blood pressure ke

It appears as if Hobot is on the road to recovery. He's propped in his hospital bed up and alert, cutting it up with his nurses. He's also being combative with one of his doctors a tall blonde Doctor

Posted Images

Thanks for the update Boomer, and thanks for the information on your leg prosthesis.  Very interesting.

Tell Hobot we are pulling for him and pushing and whatever else is necessary to support his recovery.  And greetings and good thoughts to Hope as well.

• Like 2

The piss tube. That is the only tube in him, which should be removed in a day or two - perhaps today.

Hobot did say, he's looking forward to getting this tube removed, and taking a real piss.- just to make sure everything is working down there.

I can relate to where he's coming from on that. I had to have two stents placed from my groin, one in the main artery in my upper thigh, and the artery where it splits to a two way under my heart. What I found out after the fact, when they come in down their, moving things around, it effects the blood supply to the penis. Though I could wake with a piss hard on, maintaining the erection proved difficult. Also the ejaculation wasn't nothing to write home about initially.

It's taken two years and eight months of regular exercise, by various methods by my wife and myself to finally be blowing an almost full load. I was told I'd probably never be able to get hard or blow a full load again - so I feel fortunate in that respect - thank God - because the majority who lose that ability, never get it back. I had a telephone conference with my Doc, a few weeks ago, about getting the blue bill, to maintain longer erections like days of yore. Also eating a shredded raw beet salad with equal part of fresh pineapple and a partial root of ginger fine shredded into the mix has worked wonders for opening the blood veins just getting a woody, with the side benefit of pissing like an 18 year old again, because the beets help open the prostate.

So when they were debated clamping off veins supplying Mark's stomach ulcer, and were discussing coming in through the groin or above. I was hoping and praying they'd come in from above, which thankfully they did.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, boomer said:

Mark also said, "Just tell them, "I'm alive."

That made me smile.  There is a lot of good stuff in that short statement 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Thanks for the update Boomer, and thanks for the information on your leg prosthesis.  Very interesting.

Tell Hobot we are pulling for him and pushing and whatever else is necessary to support his recovery.  And greetings and good thoughts to Hope as well.

My pleasure and quite alright.

I kept telling him more then a few times last night, how most everyone both here and abroad has come through for him. He's very grateful for the global support.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, boomer said:

The piss tube. That is the only tube in him, which should be removed in a day or two - perhaps today.

Hobot did say, he's looking forward to getting this tube removed, and taking a real piss.- just to make sure everything is working down there.

I can relate to where he's coming from on that. I had to have two stents placed from my groin, one in the main artery in my upper thigh, and the artery where it splits to a two way under my heart. What I found out after the fact, when they come in down their, moving things around, it effects the blood supply to the penis. Though I could wake with a piss hard on, maintaining the erection proved difficult. Also the ejaculation wasn't nothing to write home about initially.

It's taken two years and eight months of regular exercise, by various methods by my wife and myself to finally be blowing an almost full load. I was told I'd probably never be able to get hard or blow a full load again - so I feel fortunate in that respect - thank God - because the majority who lose that ability, never get it back. I had a telephone conference with my Doc, a few weeks ago, about getting the blue bill, to maintain longer erections like days of yore. Also eating a shredded raw beet salad with equal part of fresh pineapple and a partial root of ginger fine shredded into the mix has worked wonders for opening the blood veins just getting a woody, with the side benefit of pissing like an 18 year old again, because the beets help open the prostate.

So when they were debated clamping off veins supplying Mark's stomach ulcer, and were discussing coming in through the groin or above. I was hoping and praying they'd come in from above, which thankfully they did.

It's stories like this that make me consider looking after myself better....

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

It's stories like this that make me consider looking after myself better....

More wisdom than you know. It’s a bitch when the warranty runs out. We all said “I’ll deal with it when I get old”. Then all the sudden....there you are dealing with it thinking.......”I should have been a little more attentive to taking care of myself”.

• Like 4
On 4/14/2021 at 11:49 PM, Point Break said:

Yep, I’m 4 months into my infected hip prosthesis. We (my ortho Doc and I) elected a different surgery than the explant and spacer your wife had. That was discussed. If the current less difficult approach I had in December of open it up, pull it apart again, irrigate, debride, replace the “plastic” parts, close up with antibiotic beads and home with big followup antibiotics via a PICC line for 3 months (which I just finished) is not successful then I’ll be headed to your wife’s surgery next......maybe. There are a few other complications I won’t bore you with but yes an infected hip replacement is no fun.

Had 4 hips done..  well, 1 3x and the 4th they took a piece of my tibia and jammed it into my right hip for blood flow..  Anywhoo, 1st was a birmingham hip around 2000, then I was dumb and fell off boat and broke my femur(same hip as the birmingham replacement, so that was prob why everything failed in the first place) So they patched me together.  Wellmmm, that did not work(my left leg was shorter and I was in constant pain, limping etc..) so Weeeee back to full replacement once the femur healed.  It was a fun couple yrs, but I am basically back to normal..  No infections thank god..    

• Like 2

Even when you do everything right - you never know the outcome. 46 years, my wife ensured, I ate over the top healthy whole foods,vegetables, fruits daily with little crap - always took home prepared foods to work - or made the menu aboard rigs the same as at home, with me often cooking for the crew, if the deck engineer wasn't a good cook - my only vice was corn chips and homemade salsa, and ice cream once every month or two. Fastfoods maybe a coupIe times a year.

I also worked out regularly with weights, jumped rope, walked or ran 7-8 miles a day, as well as rode mountain bikes. Windsurfed from my mid 30s on, 3-4 days a week for ten+ years. Usually not over two alcoholic beverages a day. Quit drinking any alcohol a month and a half after retiring eight and a half years ago, till my doctor told me to drink one alcoholic beverage a day last year, to keep my blood platelet count down. When you quit alcohol for seven and a half years, you don't have a taste for it, and have to remind yourself to drink, which my wife always does - still hard to drink alcohol, so maybe one adult beverage every two to three days and increase my water intake on those days I don't drink alcohol by drinking 36 ounces or more of water on top of the 48-60 ozs I drink a day.

What I've done to reduce my arterial plaque and  clean the pipes is drinking 6 ozs of Pomegranate for four years, and taking Niacin with a 10mg satin for three years. A diet eliminating the full American breakfast, and replace with oatmeal, w/walnuts, cassia cinnamon, w/banana. Lentils or beans for lunch, sardine snacks, salmon three days a week, nine vegetable salads with avocado, and everything on the cholesterol reducing food list and the blood thinning foods list. Wake up with a seven minute workout, several more workouts a day, staircimbing all three floors x6, 1/2 hr high intensity workout with a heavy medicine ball, and dumbells workouts throughout the day. With several dumbells by both desks and work benchs.

• Like 1

This thread has become super educational. While getting old sucks keeping your head in the ground isn't the best thing to do.  Thanks Boomer.

• Like 3

My late dad, a great surgeon and a good sailor, once said, "By the time a man's 50, he's either his own doctor or a fool."

What he meant by this, I think, was that you should know what your body likes, and what it doesn't like.  You should know how to avoid injury or infection, and correctly diagnose it when you have one.  You should know how much sleep you need, and what sort.  You should know your alcohol tolerance, and keep below it.  You should know what foods are healthy for you, and what foods might be troublesome.  And so on...

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

My late dad, a great surgeon and a good sailor, once said, "By the time a man's 50, he's either his own doctor or a fool."

What he meant by this, I think, was that you should know what your body likes, and what it doesn't like.  You should know how to avoid injury or infection, and correctly diagnose it when you have one.  You should know how much sleep you need, and what sort.  You should know your alcohol tolerance, and keep below it.  You should know what foods are healthy for you, and what foods might be troublesome.  And so on...

Then why does my wife still think all my choices are poor, my taste and opinions questionable, and any ideas I may have will be bad.   

***  Nevermind... I think I know the answer.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, P_Wop said:

At the least.....which is my approach....I view myself as a partner in my health care and the MD is the expert consultant who I want to answer my questions in detail. I’m not a MD or even close, but with a rudimentary understanding of physiology and some science there is enough information available that I can ask coherent questions of my expert. Then I decide. I care enough about my health to put that much effort into it. To behave otherwise is to really short change yourself. 

• Like 3

Go the Hobot. I wouldn't rush into a rehab facility with a bunch of other people. Mrs. HB's father had been in the hospital with COPD related issues, and was moved to rehab, caught COVID from a roommate and did not make it due to the complications from his underlying issues. Hopefully, Hobot has fewer :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the leg and I’ll check out the Austin thread for the backstory. I spent some time vacuum forming bioelastic materials for amputees with our crew. The correct interview and measurements are essential to determine what the client needs, as you well know. 

You rock!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, P_Wop said:

What did he have to say about transferring that knowledge to action?

Because without the threat of imminent death, I seemed to talk more, move less....

8 hours ago, Windward said:

Then why does my wife still think all my choices are poor, my taste and opinions questionable, and any ideas I may have will be bad.   

***  Nevermind... I think I know the answer.

You need to remind her that your choices, taste and opinions are why you chose her.

Then double down and remind her that you are the results of hers.....

25 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

You need to remind her that your choices, taste and opinions are why you chose her.

Then double down and remind her that you are the results of hers.....

Brave and bold.... I like it. Let me know how that works out.....,;)

• Like 3
11 hours ago, boomer said:

Even when you do everything right - you never know the outcome. 46 years, my wife ensured, I ate over the top healthy whole foods,vegetables, fruits daily with little crap - always took home prepared foods to work - or made the menu aboard rigs the same as at home, with me often cooking for the crew, if the deck engineer wasn't a good cook - my only vice was corn chips and homemade salsa, and ice cream once every month or two. Fastfoods maybe a coupIe times a year.

I also worked out regularly with weights, jumped rope, walked or ran 7-8 miles a day, as well as rode mountain bikes. Windsurfed from my mid 30s on, 3-4 days a week for ten+ years. Usually not over two alcoholic beverages a day. Quit drinking any alcohol a month and a half after retiring eight and a half years ago, till my doctor told me to drink one alcoholic beverage a day last year, to keep my blood platelet count down. When you quit alcohol for seven and a half years, you don't have a taste for it, and have to remind yourself to drink, which my wife always does - still hard to drink alcohol, so maybe one adult beverage every two to three days and increase my water intake on those days I don't drink alcohol by drinking 36 ounces or more of water on top of the 48-60 ozs I drink a day.

What I've done to reduce my arterial plaque and  clean the pipes is drinking 6 ozs of Pomegranate for four years, and taking Niacin with a 10mg satin for three years. A diet eliminating the full American breakfast, and replace with oatmeal, w/walnuts, cassia cinnamon, w/banana. Lentils or beans for lunch, sardine snacks, salmon three days a week, nine vegetable salads with avocado, and everything on the cholesterol reducing food list and the blood thinning foods list. Wake up with a seven minute workout, several more workouts a day, staircimbing all three floors x6, 1/2 hr high intensity workout with a heavy medicine ball, and dumbells workouts throughout the day. With several dumbells by both desks and work benchs.

I will have to give a lot of credit to my Mrs. Off Watch, she has been on the organic/ healthy food for the last 40 years. I have to hide a pint of Ben and Jerry's out in the 1950s fridge in the garage. I started back running pretty seriously 12 years ago after my daughter talked me into doing a 10k with her.  As usual I can't do anything casually but have to go in 100 percent. I spent two years and seven marathons training to qualify for the Boston marathon but got my BQ time on a marathon I ran on my 60th birthday 3 hrs and 42 min. Some things you can't control but being in good shape I feel give me the best shot at handling what ever health issues old age sends my way. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Her reply was "did you say something?".

yes dear .............

17 hours ago, boomer said:

What I've done to reduce my arterial plaque and  clean the pipes is drinking 6 ozs of Pomegranate for four years, and taking Niacin with a 10mg satin for three years.

Is this an ad or something?

BTW, how did you measure the before and after "arterial plaque".

5 hours ago, Randro said:

Carotid ultrasound is used by my cardiologist to check but he didn’t do any before and after, just a single evaluation. Also every chest CT I’ve had in last year has mentioned the level in the heart vessels during the remarks (not what the CT was for but all of them mention it.)

8 hours ago, Randro said:

Call it what you want - just what I did, plus cholesterol reducing diet and exercise.

See your doctor first, to see if you can tolerate Niacin, or to monitor how much Niacin you should be taking. Caveat: Not everyone can take Niacin, and do so under doctors care and supervision.

My original vascular surgeon Dr. Byron DeCamp said, "my diet or exercise didn't effect good vascular health", and said, "that's what Doctors are for", "to fix what you did wrong." I'm thinking like,"your kidding right." What he was saying, went against everything I knew and read. He took a assistant professorship of Vascular Surgery at the University of Kansas, so had to look for a new vascular doctor.

Living across the Puget Sound from Seattle, I don't have a lot of choices. Either Dr. DeCamp's former Vascular Clinic operated by CHI Franciscan, with half a dozen vascular surgeons, or choose the one independent at that time - Dr. Angela Diamond. Who is now also within the CHI Franciscan system as well as covered over here under my insurance Kaiser Permanente. The first thing when under her care I requested a CIMT and whole vascular system ultrasound scan, in which the blockage is measured in February of 2019, I get this done every year, and am due for my third. Dr. Angela Diamond also believes in preventative care of proper diet and exercise.

In 2019 Dr. Diamond found my left carotid artery was over 60% blocked and the right side 50% blocked and only does work with her combination rote-rooter/suction device if the artery is more then 60% blocked. She also said I suffered what she called, "a silent stroke" on my left side and said 25% of patients who have a stroke, suffer this "silent stroke", the rest suffer a regular stroke, with a high percentage being fatal.

She's been doing a wait and see approach as I attacked it with the Pomegranate Juice, Niacin and a Statin, diet and exercise. The first Statin I was on was 40 mg Avorastatin (Lipitor) which I did for a year. When I went back and got the scans again, we've seen an improvement overall, and most importantly a reduction in blockage under 50%. My statin was changed and reduced to 10mg Pravastatin. I did the full two years of Dr. Ford Brewer's  recommended  Endur-acin or rather 2x500mg Endur-acin Niacin a day which was increased to 3x500mg, then increased tto4x500mg daily. So initially, started at 1000mg of Niacin and worked up to 2000mg a day for the first year, then back down to 1000mg a day for my second year.

The other clear measurement, besides the measured reduction - was that I was getting very mini-TIAs - where I saw a gradual progressive decline of the TIAs, from daily, to weekly to monthly to occasionally to none - how the mini-TIAs manifested, I suffered my vision becoming a bright white or then go murky or black daily for 10-15 minutes till my vision cleared - and now haven't had an episode since November of 2019.

So take it for what it's worth. I do believe diet and exercise is important, and I do believe what I did with the Niacin & Statins plus the daily Pomegranate by all measurements and signs is working for for me. Three years seems to be about the limit of plaque reduction with Pom, but I'm continuing into my fourth year of including it in my daily  diet. I stick to everything on the cholesterol reduction food list as well as the blood thinning list. I drink excess water, only because I don't have the taste for beer or adult beverages anymore. When you eat salmon three times a week, you quickly tire of it, no matter how many ways you barbecue, plank, bake or fry the fish - so now we've also added canned salmon which so far I more tolerable. We were ordering 50lbs several times a year from my commercial fisherman friend, but my wife put her foot down with this last order, because we still have a couple dozen slabs in the freezer.

I also take half a dozen supplements including D3, E, Turmeric or Curcumin, Primal Defense Ultra Probiotic Formula, and probably the most important Coenzyme Q10 known as CoQ10. 

Angela Diamond, MD, FACS, RVT, FACPh

Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces common carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure and LDL oxidation

How To Unclog Arteries With Pomegranate - Life Extension

Help for your cholesterol when the statins won't do

Benefits of Coenzyme Q10

What is a silent stroke

14 hours ago, boomer said:

So you are going to be really pissed-off on your death bed.

Dying of Nothing.

Looks to me like you have a touch of fear of death.

• Downvote 1
14 hours ago, boomer said:

Call it what you want - just what I did, plus cholesterol reducing diet and exercise.

See your doctor first, to see if you can tolerate Niacin, or to monitor how much Niacin you should be taking. Caveat: Not everyone can take Niacin, and do so under doctors care and supervision.

My original vascular surgeon Dr. Byron DeCamp said, "my diet or exercise didn't effect good vascular health", and said, "that's what Doctors are for", "to fix what you did wrong." I'm thinking like,"your kidding right." What he was saying, went against everything I knew and read. He took a assistant professorship of Vascular Surgery at the University of Kansas, so had to look for a new vascular doctor.

Living across the Puget Sound from Seattle, I don't have a lot of choices. Either Dr. DeCamp's former Vascular Clinic operated by CHI Franciscan, with half a dozen vascular surgeons, or choose the one independent at that time - Dr. Angela Diamond. Who is now also within the CHI Franciscan system as well as covered over here under my insurance Kaiser Permanente. The first thing when under her care I requested a CIMT and whole vascular system ultrasound scan, in which the blockage is measured in February of 2019, I get this done every year, and am due for my third. Dr. Angela Diamond also believes in preventative care of proper diet and exercise.

In 2019 Dr. Diamond found my left carotid artery was over 60% blocked and the right side 50% blocked and only does work with her combination rote-rooter/suction device if the artery is more then 60% blocked. She also said I suffered what she called, "a silent stroke" on my left side and said 25% of patients who have a stroke, suffer this "silent stroke", the rest suffer a regular stroke, with a high percentage being fatal.

She's been doing a wait and see approach as I attacked it with the Pomegranate Juice, Niacin and a Statin, diet and exercise. The first Statin I was on was 40 mg Avorastatin (Lipitor) which I did for a year. When I went back and got the scans again, we've seen an improvement overall, and most importantly a reduction in blockage under 50%. My statin was changed and reduced to 10mg Pravastatin. I did the full two years of Dr. Ford Brewer's  recommended  Endur-acin or rather 2x500mg Endur-acin Niacin a day which was increased to 3x500mg, then increased tto4x500mg daily. So initially, started at 1000mg of Niacin and worked up to 2000mg a day for the first year, then back down to 1000mg a day for my second year.

The other clear measurement, besides the measured reduction - was that I was getting very mini-TIAs - where I saw a gradual progressive decline of the TIAs, from daily, to weekly to monthly to occasionally to none - how the mini-TIAs manifested, I suffered my vision becoming a bright white or then go murky or black daily for 10-15 minutes till my vision cleared - and now haven't had an episode since November of 2019.

So take it for what it's worth. I do believe diet and exercise is important, and I do believe what I did with the Niacin & Statins plus the daily Pomegranate by all measurements and signs is working for for me. Three years seems to be about the limit of plaque reduction with Pom, but I'm continuing into my fourth year of including it in my daily  diet. I stick to everything on the cholesterol reduction food list as well as the blood thinning list. I drink excess water, only because I don't have the taste for beer or adult beverages anymore. When you eat salmon three times a week, you quickly tire of it, no matter how many ways you barbecue, plank, bake or fry the fish - so now we've also added canned salmon which so far I more tolerable. We were ordering 50lbs several times a year from my commercial fisherman friend, but my wife put her foot down with this last order, because we still have a couple dozen slabs in the freezer.

I also take half a dozen supplements including D3, E, Turmeric or Curcumin, Primal Defense Ultra Probiotic Formula, and probably the most important Coenzyme Q10 known as CoQ10. 

Angela Diamond, MD, FACS, RVT, FACPh

Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces common carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure and LDL oxidation

How To Unclog Arteries With Pomegranate - Life Extension

Help for your cholesterol when the statins won't do

Benefits of Coenzyme Q10

What is a silent stroke

These posts of yours are concerning boomer.  Taking a rather strange turn.

Does anyone here actually sail with hobot?

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Randro said:

So you are going to be really pissed-off on your death bed.

Dying of Nothing.

Looks to me like you have a touch of fear of death.

What the fuck you talking about you fuckwit.

I'm doing what works under the care of Dr.D and several other doctors.

I've had a good life and have no fear of dying.

I do this for my wife, children and grandchildren - simple as that you fuckwit.

I'm not afraid of everything and everyone like you, hiding behind a keyboard.

Your not an honorable man and by your past history a coward.

How does it feel being spineless? How does it feel to be cravenly candy ass pussy.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Randro said:

These posts of yours are concerning boomer.  Taking a rather strange turn.

Does anyone here actually sail with hobot?

Nothing strange at all about them. You asked the question. Are you stupid or just dumb.

Shouldn't you be known by what you are - a shit stirrer. You mix up shit and you fling shit.

You're a fuckwit shit stirrer - I bet you eat shit, too.

Why would you say that about Hobot other then being a shit stirrer.

Hobot has sailed on many boats with many programs here in the PNW for over 30 years.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, boomer said:

Hobot has sailed on many boats with many programs here in the PNW for over 30 years.

Uh huh, sounds like a nice guy.

So who here has he sailed with?

• Downvote 1

People for the most part are anonymous here.

However I could name dozens names of the actual posters here.

Some of which posted on this thread. But I'm not going to say their names.

Why? Because your a coward and a shit stirrer. Bye bye you fuckwit shit stirring coward.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, boomer said:

People for the most part are anonymous here.

However I could name dozens names of the actual posters here.

Some of which posted on this thread. But I'm not going to say their names.

Why? Because your a coward and a shit stirrer. Bye bye you fuckwit shit stirring coward.

Pretty uncalled for responses boomer.

All I did was ask if anyone here actually knew hobot.

• Downvote 1
6 minutes ago, Randro said:

Uh huh, sounds like a nice guy.

So who here has he sailed with?

Before I go. You didn't answer the question.

How does it feel being spineless? How does it feel to be cravenly candy ass pussy?

How does it feel to go through life being a shit stirrer?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Randro said:

Pretty uncalled for responses boomer.

All I did was ask if anyone here actually knew hobot.

Not uncalled for at all - with your long history of shit stirring here.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Randro said:

Feels pretty good actually.

So which anonymous posters here have sailed with hobot?  I think I have seen one or two in the thread but it's a long one to go back over.

Feels good huh - only you and Trump could answer that, like that.

You got my answer.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, boomer said:

You got my answer.

Hey Boomer. Ignore Randy, just shut him out. He's not worth your time.

Great work keeping the board up to date on Hobs. I salute you both.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, boomer said:

You got my answer.

Mmmmmmmm

Randumb. Are you getting ready to hang out with Jack_Sparrow? This is the same shit you were doing to Verne when you got flicked last year. Remember, the  rules are: no rules here and flicking is a capricious act by the mods for any reason they like if you piss them or us off enough. Seems like you’re well on your way tonight.

We’ll see if you get yours soon enough

Go Hobot!!

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Fuck off Randro!

Randro 5mg Tablet is used in the treatment of schizophrenia (a mental disorder in which a person develops unreal thoughts and behavior). It works by blocking the action of a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.

• Like 2

Boomer--appreciate all you've done for Hobot and the threads (still glad of your friendly and helpful posts in Ocean Racing Anarchy).

Just PM Jack: he and Mad did a fine job chasing off Randum and other trolls there. No need for you to clean the stables. 

Cheers, and best wishes to you, yours, and Hobot. 

• Like 4

Hi there! I usually enjoy just lurking the threads and learning from the collective wisdom and knowledge or being amused by the odd shitfight. But now and again I can't keep quiet.

Boomer, don't feed Randumb! Every reply makes it worse! It just tries to destroy the threads it turns up in! Just put it on ignore...

I respect you for standing up for a friend and help in the way you do! All of you in this thread actually, but one: Randumb...

Get well soon Hobot!

• Like 3

Many of us know Hobot. While I haven't been on the same boat, we've raced in the same races and regattas and he has been a fixture at the local clubs afterwards.

Yes, I know who Hobot is.

Now, fuck off, Rando. Go away. Nobody likes you.

Get well, Hobot. We want you back ASAP!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Randumb. <Snip>

Go Hobot!!

....and Go Boomer for keeping us updated!!

• Like 4
On 4/20/2021 at 1:29 AM, Ease the sheet. said:

His first unassisted piss is going to be worthy of a proper celebration!

Closest I ever came to that was the aftermath of a 20' header off a ladder onto concrete. Didn't break anything but I was so bashed up that I couldn't climb the stairs to bed. I slept on the couch and couldn't even get up to piss - had to use a milk jug for a week.

The most embarrassing part of it was that my 80 Y.O. MIL had a hip replacement the same day I fell and was walking before me.

Go the Hobot!

• Like 1

When Hobbs is well enough to browse this thread I think two things will happen.

1. He will be truly appreciative of all the well wishes and concern.

2. He will be completely unsurprised that Randum took a crap in it.

Keep getting better Hobot. You are sorely missed.

WL

• Like 3
9 hours ago, boomer said:

You got my answer.

Pssst @boomer,

There's an ignore function.  It works great on this fuckwad's posts.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kimbottles said:

I post under my real name (Kim Bottles) and Hobot has sailed on my boat FRANCIS LEE.

I can confirm that Hobot is a very good guy.

And I can confirm that Kim personally emailed me to thank me for a donation to the Hobot fund. A true gentleman. 

• Like 2

Why does anyone not have Randumb on ignore? I haven't seen his posts for years unless someone quotes it. Flicking the fuckwit doesn't work for long.

And I can confirm that Kim is a very good guy.

15 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Why does anyone not have Randumb on ignore? I haven't seen his posts for years unless someone quotes it. Flicking the fuckwit doesn't work for long.

Well, flick it again anyway. It's a waste of vowels here and a waste of oxygen in the southern hemisphere. 

34 minutes ago, Dorado said:
53 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well, flick it again anyway. It's a waste of vowels here and a waste of oxygen in the southern hemisphere. 

Wasteng vowelles?  Granney woude of respondidde in a gutteralle "yocchi dom pedoopya" herre determinatione coude gette throuh to anneybodey witha haertebeate..........                 :)

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Why does anyone not have Randumb on ignore?

Prefer to exercise the mental 'ignore'. or start a honeypot thread for the trolls.

The 'ignore signatures' is very useful, though. 

4 minutes ago, stief said:
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Why does anyone not have Randumb on ignore?

Prefer to exercise the mental 'ignore'. or start a honeypot thread for the trolls.

The 'ignore signatures' is very useful, though. 

I nevere ignoire annybodey, I finde ist fun to reade the stupidness.............     YMMV          :)

• Like 2

Mark's recover continues at a steady pace. He was transferred to Kindred Hospital in Seattle for three weeks of rehab. Hope asked if he was ready for his ipad, but he wants to wait. The swelling has mostly gone down in his hands and feet, but Mark wants his motor skills to improve a bit more. It may take the whole three weeks, or until he gets home till he's ready for an ipad. When I talked with him the other night, using a smart phone was still a bit of a struggle. Hope says his weight is just under 200lbs, and that's a good thang - of less weight on his hips. Hope said he had a good day, and said he's Okay with being at Kindred for their rehab. I'll give him a call after dinner and relay any more info afterwards.

• Like 29
1 hour ago, boomer said:

Mark's recover continues at a steady pace. He was transferred to Kindred Hospital in Seattle for three weeks of rehab. Hope asked if he was ready for his ipad, but he wants to wait. The swelling has mostly gone down in his hands and feet, but Mark wants his motor skills to improve a bit more. It may take the whole three weeks, or until he gets home till he's ready for an ipad. When I talked with him the other night, using a smart phone was still a bit of a struggle. Hope says his weight is just under 200lbs, and that's a good thang - of less weight on his hips. Hope said he had a good day, and said he's Okay with being at Kindred for their rehab. I'll give him a call after dinner and relay any more info afterwards.

Oh now yer just sucking up to all of us to get that SA'er of the year award

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Is the award still a colonoscopy performed by that guy who almost passed the boards?

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Is the award still a colonoscopy performed by that guy who almost passed the boards?

No I have a special framed photo I got off the internet. Snaggs will have to approve it first 

Actually - just making my once every couple days update.

Called Mark but he's to tired to talk tonight.

Will talk with him tomorrow.

The capture below however is for currying favor with....

052b7.JPG

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Yup--- these are the guys. 2100i-Boom-In-Use.jpg

• Like 2

Great news on the recovery front. I suspect the PT is going to be long, painful and arduous.

Back in the 80s when my wife blew out her first ACL she was bed bound for about 3 days and lost about half her thigh  muscle mass in that leg during that short time. Not the best weight loss plan if you like lateral body symmetry.

Fast recovery, Hobs, we're pulling for ya!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, VWAP said:

I think Boomer has already wrapped that award up for 2021. No contest.

(BTW, I have also had Boomer aboard FRANCIS LEE and he is also a very good guy with a very wide scope of knowledge.)

• Like 5

Boomer on behalf of all the  Aussies that frequent this place we humbly apologize for Random. What he said upthread was out of line. 

Haven't posted before in this thread but been following it as have many others.  Thanks for your updates and all the best to Hobot in his recovery.

I'm really looking forward to his first post here in this thread. I feel it's not too far away.

#GotheHobot

• Like 7
1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

What happens if somebody just takes the statin? 

Statins are designed to keep triglycerides in check, lower the bad LDL and raise the good HDL - but not all statins aren't created equal as are the doses. There are some side effect, listed in the link below. You should have your blood work done and monitored regularly. With some, such as Avorastatin you can't eat certain foods and for me specifically, fruits such as grapefruit, so I couldn't eat grapefruit - I like grapefruit.

Everyone is different, some can't take some statins, some can't take high doses. I noticed with 40mg of Avorastatin all the negative side effects - the worst which were muscle and joint ache, and a sharp memory that was beginning to fail me. Told my Doc and he didn't want to change the statin yet. So I quit taking them for six months, but still taking the Niacin which also reduces the bad LDL and raises the good HDL, and not deviating at all from a cholesterol reducing diet, and upped my exercise regime . I request blood work every six months, and read the results myself. I figured I could do it with diet and exercise - but apparently not. The LDL and HDL were border line high, my Triglycerides were elevated. So called Kaiser and said I want a new Doc, and they gave me a list of five to choose from. I picked a young ex-Navy Doc, who I could see just from looking at his pic, was on the ball, then talking in a video conference confirmed it. I requested a different statin, specifically the Pravastatin and only 10mg, he looked at my blood work and agreed. I could also have grapefruit with breakfast.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statins/art-20045772

• Like 3
15 hours ago, boomer said:

Mark's recover continues at a steady pace. He was transferred to Kindred Hospital in Seattle for three weeks of rehab. 

So happy he’s doing inpatient rehab. Hard work for sure, but more effective than outpatient, and logistically easier for both Hobot and Hope. Best!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, boomer said:

Actually - just making my once every couple days update.

Called Mark but he's to tired to talk tonight.

Will talk with him tomorrow.

The capture below however is for currying favor with....

052b7.JPG

Martha?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boomer said:

Statins are designed to keep triglycerides in check, lower the bad LDL and raise the good HDL - but not all statins aren't created equal as are the doses. There are some side effect, listed in the link below. You should have your blood work done and monitored regularly. With some, such as Avorastatin you can't eat certain foods and for me specifically, fruits such as grapefruit, so I couldn't eat grapefruit - I like grapefruit.

Everyone is different, some can't take some statins, some can't take high doses. I noticed with 40mg of Avorastatin all the negative side effects - the worst which were muscle and joint ache, and a sharp memory that was beginning to fail me. Told my Doc and he didn't want to change the statin yet. So I quit taking them for six months, but still taking the Niacin which also reduces the bad LDL and raises the good HDL, and not deviating at all from a cholesterol reducing diet, and upped my exercise regime . I request blood work every six months, and read the results myself. I figured I could do it with diet and exercise - but apparently not. The LDL and HDL were border line high, my Triglycerides were elevated. So called Kaiser and said I want a new Doc, and they gave me a list of five to choose from. I picked a young ex-Navy Doc, who I could see just from looking at his pic, was on the ball, then talking in a video conference confirmed it. I requested a different statin, specifically the Pravastatin and only 10mg, he looked at my blood work and agreed. I could also have grapefruit with breakfast.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statins/art-20045772

I'm on 10mg of Atorvastatin and also love grapefruit, which interferes with its metabolism so it leads to a higher effective dose. I complained to my doc and he said that my dosage was low enough that I don't need worry about it. 

For those interested, here's a short article on it:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/grapefruit-juice-and-statins

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Willin&#x27; said:

Great news on the recovery front. I suspect the PT is going to be long, painful and arduous.

Back in the 80s when my wife blew out her first ACL she was bed bound for about 3 days and lost about half her thigh  muscle mass in that leg during that short time. Not the best weight loss plan if you like lateral body symmetry.

Fast recovery, Hobs, we're pulling for ya!

in 3 days? typo?

I am really great full that Hobart made it to rehab as my COVID was much less extreme BUT the 14 days on home O2 and the forced reduction in activity is really a lot of work to recover from  

17 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Afterwards you feel like you passed the boards, a couple of 4-foot 1X6's.

3 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

in 3 days? typo?

Nope! I was amazed but the Dr. said it's not uncommon to lose tone and mass rapidly when you are physically immobile, even for short periods. Fortunately most of it came back with about 6 weeks of PT.

She never could cave a right turn on skis after that though.