1 minute ago, boomer said:

People for the most part are anonymous here.

However I could name dozens names of the actual posters here.

Some of which posted on this thread. But I'm not going to say their names.

Why? Because your a coward and a shit stirrer. Bye bye you fuckwit shit stirring coward.

Pretty uncalled for responses boomer.

All I did was ask if anyone here actually knew hobot.

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a lot of work ahead of me still. I am and isolation for 2 weeks still at the new facility. I have so much to say to all of you that and so much for Hope and I, My heart has been touched an

Hobot was kept on a drug that put a protective layer over the ulcer yesterday and last night. The bleeding has been stemmed. He was taken off the respirator this morning. However his blood pressure ke

It appears as if Hobot is on the road to recovery. He's propped in his hospital bed up and alert, cutting it up with his nurses. He's also being combative with one of his doctors a tall blonde Doctor

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Randro said:

Uh huh, sounds like a nice guy.

So who here has he sailed with?

Before I go. You didn't answer the question.

How does it feel being spineless? How does it feel to be cravenly candy ass pussy?

How does it feel to go through life being a shit stirrer?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Randro said:

Not uncalled for at all - with your long history of shit stirring here.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Randro said:

Feels pretty good actually.

So which anonymous posters here have sailed with hobot?  I think I have seen one or two in the thread but it's a long one to go back over.

Feels good huh - only you and Trump could answer that, like that.

You got my answer.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, boomer said:

You got my answer.

Hey Boomer. Ignore Randy, just shut him out. He's not worth your time.

Great work keeping the board up to date on Hobs. I salute you both.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, boomer said:

You got my answer.

Mmmmmmmm

Randumb. Are you getting ready to hang out with Jack_Sparrow? This is the same shit you were doing to Verne when you got flicked last year. Remember, the  rules are: no rules here and flicking is a capricious act by the mods for any reason they like if you piss them or us off enough. Seems like you’re well on your way tonight.

We’ll see if you get yours soon enough

Go Hobot!!

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Fuck off Randro!

Randro 5mg Tablet is used in the treatment of schizophrenia (a mental disorder in which a person develops unreal thoughts and behavior). It works by blocking the action of a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.

• Like 2

Boomer--appreciate all you've done for Hobot and the threads (still glad of your friendly and helpful posts in Ocean Racing Anarchy).

Just PM Jack: he and Mad did a fine job chasing off Randum and other trolls there. No need for you to clean the stables. 

Cheers, and best wishes to you, yours, and Hobot. 

• Like 4

Hi there! I usually enjoy just lurking the threads and learning from the collective wisdom and knowledge or being amused by the odd shitfight. But now and again I can't keep quiet.

Boomer, don't feed Randumb! Every reply makes it worse! It just tries to destroy the threads it turns up in! Just put it on ignore...

I respect you for standing up for a friend and help in the way you do! All of you in this thread actually, but one: Randumb...

Get well soon Hobot!

• Like 3

Many of us know Hobot. While I haven't been on the same boat, we've raced in the same races and regattas and he has been a fixture at the local clubs afterwards.

Yes, I know who Hobot is.

Now, fuck off, Rando. Go away. Nobody likes you.

Get well, Hobot. We want you back ASAP!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Randumb. <Snip>

Go Hobot!!

....and Go Boomer for keeping us updated!!

• Like 4
On 4/20/2021 at 1:29 AM, Ease the sheet. said:

His first unassisted piss is going to be worthy of a proper celebration!

Closest I ever came to that was the aftermath of a 20' header off a ladder onto concrete. Didn't break anything but I was so bashed up that I couldn't climb the stairs to bed. I slept on the couch and couldn't even get up to piss - had to use a milk jug for a week.

The most embarrassing part of it was that my 80 Y.O. MIL had a hip replacement the same day I fell and was walking before me.

Go the Hobot!

• Like 1

When Hobbs is well enough to browse this thread I think two things will happen.

1. He will be truly appreciative of all the well wishes and concern.

2. He will be completely unsurprised that Randum took a crap in it.

Keep getting better Hobot. You are sorely missed.

WL

• Like 3
9 hours ago, boomer said:

You got my answer.

Pssst @boomer,

There's an ignore function.  It works great on this fuckwad's posts.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Randro said:

j72u8es.gif?noredirect

3 hours ago, kimbottles said:

I post under my real name (Kim Bottles) and Hobot has sailed on my boat FRANCIS LEE.

I can confirm that Hobot is a very good guy.

And I can confirm that Kim personally emailed me to thank me for a donation to the Hobot fund. A true gentleman. 

• Like 2

Why does anyone not have Randumb on ignore? I haven't seen his posts for years unless someone quotes it. Flicking the fuckwit doesn't work for long.

And I can confirm that Kim is a very good guy.

15 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Why does anyone not have Randumb on ignore? I haven't seen his posts for years unless someone quotes it. Flicking the fuckwit doesn't work for long.

Well, flick it again anyway. It's a waste of vowels here and a waste of oxygen in the southern hemisphere. 

34 minutes ago, Dorado said:
53 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well, flick it again anyway. It's a waste of vowels here and a waste of oxygen in the southern hemisphere. 

Wasteng vowelles?  Granney woude of respondidde in a gutteralle "yocchi dom pedoopya" herre determinatione coude gette throuh to anneybodey witha haertebeate..........                 :)

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Why does anyone not have Randumb on ignore?

Prefer to exercise the mental 'ignore'. or start a honeypot thread for the trolls.

The 'ignore signatures' is very useful, though. 

4 minutes ago, stief said:
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Why does anyone not have Randumb on ignore?

Prefer to exercise the mental 'ignore'. or start a honeypot thread for the trolls.

The 'ignore signatures' is very useful, though. 

I nevere ignoire annybodey, I finde ist fun to reade the stupidness.............     YMMV          :)

• Like 2

Mark's recover continues at a steady pace. He was transferred to Kindred Hospital in Seattle for three weeks of rehab. Hope asked if he was ready for his ipad, but he wants to wait. The swelling has mostly gone down in his hands and feet, but Mark wants his motor skills to improve a bit more. It may take the whole three weeks, or until he gets home till he's ready for an ipad. When I talked with him the other night, using a smart phone was still a bit of a struggle. Hope says his weight is just under 200lbs, and that's a good thang - of less weight on his hips. Hope said he had a good day, and said he's Okay with being at Kindred for their rehab. I'll give him a call after dinner and relay any more info afterwards.

• Like 29
1 hour ago, boomer said:

Mark's recover continues at a steady pace. He was transferred to Kindred Hospital in Seattle for three weeks of rehab. Hope asked if he was ready for his ipad, but he wants to wait. The swelling has mostly gone down in his hands and feet, but Mark wants his motor skills to improve a bit more. It may take the whole three weeks, or until he gets home till he's ready for an ipad. When I talked with him the other night, using a smart phone was still a bit of a struggle. Hope says his weight is just under 200lbs, and that's a good thang - of less weight on his hips. Hope said he had a good day, and said he's Okay with being at Kindred for their rehab. I'll give him a call after dinner and relay any more info afterwards.

Oh now yer just sucking up to all of us to get that SA'er of the year award

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Is the award still a colonoscopy performed by that guy who almost passed the boards?

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Is the award still a colonoscopy performed by that guy who almost passed the boards?

No I have a special framed photo I got off the internet. Snaggs will have to approve it first 

Actually - just making my once every couple days update.

Called Mark but he's to tired to talk tonight.

Will talk with him tomorrow.

The capture below however is for currying favor with....

052b7.JPG

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Yup--- these are the guys. 2100i-Boom-In-Use.jpg

• Like 2

Great news on the recovery front. I suspect the PT is going to be long, painful and arduous.

Back in the 80s when my wife blew out her first ACL she was bed bound for about 3 days and lost about half her thigh  muscle mass in that leg during that short time. Not the best weight loss plan if you like lateral body symmetry.

Fast recovery, Hobs, we're pulling for ya!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, VWAP said:

I think Boomer has already wrapped that award up for 2021. No contest.

(BTW, I have also had Boomer aboard FRANCIS LEE and he is also a very good guy with a very wide scope of knowledge.)

• Like 5

Boomer on behalf of all the  Aussies that frequent this place we humbly apologize for Random. What he said upthread was out of line. 

Haven't posted before in this thread but been following it as have many others.  Thanks for your updates and all the best to Hobot in his recovery.

I'm really looking forward to his first post here in this thread. I feel it's not too far away.

#GotheHobot

• Like 7
1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

What happens if somebody just takes the statin? 

Statins are designed to keep triglycerides in check, lower the bad LDL and raise the good HDL - but not all statins aren't created equal as are the doses. There are some side effect, listed in the link below. You should have your blood work done and monitored regularly. With some, such as Avorastatin you can't eat certain foods and for me specifically, fruits such as grapefruit, so I couldn't eat grapefruit - I like grapefruit.

Everyone is different, some can't take some statins, some can't take high doses. I noticed with 40mg of Avorastatin all the negative side effects - the worst which were muscle and joint ache, and a sharp memory that was beginning to fail me. Told my Doc and he didn't want to change the statin yet. So I quit taking them for six months, but still taking the Niacin which also reduces the bad LDL and raises the good HDL, and not deviating at all from a cholesterol reducing diet, and upped my exercise regime . I request blood work every six months, and read the results myself. I figured I could do it with diet and exercise - but apparently not. The LDL and HDL were border line high, my Triglycerides were elevated. So called Kaiser and said I want a new Doc, and they gave me a list of five to choose from. I picked a young ex-Navy Doc, who I could see just from looking at his pic, was on the ball, then talking in a video conference confirmed it. I requested a different statin, specifically the Pravastatin and only 10mg, he looked at my blood work and agreed. I could also have grapefruit with breakfast.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statins/art-20045772

• Like 3
15 hours ago, boomer said:

Mark's recover continues at a steady pace. He was transferred to Kindred Hospital in Seattle for three weeks of rehab. 

So happy he’s doing inpatient rehab. Hard work for sure, but more effective than outpatient, and logistically easier for both Hobot and Hope. Best!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, boomer said:

Actually - just making my once every couple days update.

Called Mark but he's to tired to talk tonight.

Will talk with him tomorrow.

The capture below however is for currying favor with....

052b7.JPG

Martha?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boomer said:

Statins are designed to keep triglycerides in check, lower the bad LDL and raise the good HDL - but not all statins aren't created equal as are the doses. There are some side effect, listed in the link below. You should have your blood work done and monitored regularly. With some, such as Avorastatin you can't eat certain foods and for me specifically, fruits such as grapefruit, so I couldn't eat grapefruit - I like grapefruit.

Everyone is different, some can't take some statins, some can't take high doses. I noticed with 40mg of Avorastatin all the negative side effects - the worst which were muscle and joint ache, and a sharp memory that was beginning to fail me. Told my Doc and he didn't want to change the statin yet. So I quit taking them for six months, but still taking the Niacin which also reduces the bad LDL and raises the good HDL, and not deviating at all from a cholesterol reducing diet, and upped my exercise regime . I request blood work every six months, and read the results myself. I figured I could do it with diet and exercise - but apparently not. The LDL and HDL were border line high, my Triglycerides were elevated. So called Kaiser and said I want a new Doc, and they gave me a list of five to choose from. I picked a young ex-Navy Doc, who I could see just from looking at his pic, was on the ball, then talking in a video conference confirmed it. I requested a different statin, specifically the Pravastatin and only 10mg, he looked at my blood work and agreed. I could also have grapefruit with breakfast.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statins/art-20045772

I'm on 10mg of Atorvastatin and also love grapefruit, which interferes with its metabolism so it leads to a higher effective dose. I complained to my doc and he said that my dosage was low enough that I don't need worry about it. 

For those interested, here's a short article on it:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/grapefruit-juice-and-statins

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Willin&#x27; said:

Great news on the recovery front. I suspect the PT is going to be long, painful and arduous.

Back in the 80s when my wife blew out her first ACL she was bed bound for about 3 days and lost about half her thigh  muscle mass in that leg during that short time. Not the best weight loss plan if you like lateral body symmetry.

Fast recovery, Hobs, we're pulling for ya!

in 3 days? typo?

I am really great full that Hobart made it to rehab as my COVID was much less extreme BUT the 14 days on home O2 and the forced reduction in activity is really a lot of work to recover from  

17 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Afterwards you feel like you passed the boards, a couple of 4-foot 1X6's.

3 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

in 3 days? typo?

Nope! I was amazed but the Dr. said it's not uncommon to lose tone and mass rapidly when you are physically immobile, even for short periods. Fortunately most of it came back with about 6 weeks of PT.

She never could cave a right turn on skis after that though.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Afterwards you feel like you passed the boards, a couple of 4-foot 1X6's.

That’s enough lumber to build a stool

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Willin&#x27; said:

Nope! I was amazed but the Dr. said it's not uncommon to lose tone and mass rapidly when you are physically immobile, even for short periods. Fortunately most of it came back with about 6 weeks of PT.

She never could cave a right turn on skis after that though.

yipes!!

On 4/22/2021 at 4:38 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Wasteng vowelles?  Granney woude of respondidde in a gutteralle "yocchi dom pedoopya" herre determinatione coude gette throuh to anneybodey witha haertebeate..........                 :)

I think @Ed Lada could use some vowels over where he lives.

Oh and BTW - fuck off randumbfuck.  You are nothing more than a miserable old cunt.  

On 4/23/2021 at 9:35 AM, boomer said:

My doctor retired about a year ago. He never raised any concern over my lipoprotein levels. My new doctor has been out of residency for about a year. In November, she had my labs run. My LDL and total cholesterol were just barely over the limit. She uses a online calculator to determine heart attack and stroke risk factors. As a result, she put me on atorvastatin,  40 mg. I questioned the dose, but she would not waiver. What I noticed was leg joint pain . I record my usual hikes and excercise sessions with my tracker. My times for my usual hilly hike increased by 8 minutes after i had worked up to a 46 minute times. In march i stopped taking atorvastatin for a week and my leg joint pain seemed to improve. Started them up again and things got worse. At 90 days, she ordered blood work again. I insisted on liver enzyme tests. Her response was  "well if it makes you feel better". My lipoproteins were all well in the appropriate range, but my AST and ALT were both about 3 times normal. She was not concerned but did order more liver tests a month later. I also complained about my leg pains. She wanted to see me for that but said it was not due to the statins. My liver tests were only slightly above normal. Now she wants to change me to rovustatin (Crestor). I ask her if my weight lose and increased activity would help. He answer was that if everything was perfect, I still am at risk and need a statin. According to the calculator she uses, my biggest risk factor (12%) is due to my age, 68 yo. I cant change that! I am frustrated, and like Boomer am in Kaiser Permenente. I am looking for a new doctor. I have been off statins for a week and will stay off of them at least thru the weekend as I will be racing both days and need to be able to move safely on the boat. My speed on my hikes has dramatically improved.

• Like 6
On 4/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, P_Wop said:

My late dad, a great surgeon and a good sailor, once said, "By the time a man's 50, he's either his own doctor or a fool."

What he meant by this, I think, was that you should know what your body likes, and what it doesn't like.  You should know how to avoid injury or infection, and correctly diagnose it when you have one.  You should know how much sleep you need, and what sort.  You should know your alcohol tolerance, and keep below it.  You should know what foods are healthy for you, and what foods might be troublesome.  And so on...

Goddamn. This is some fine advice, and I'm only 35.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Great White said:

My doctor retired about a year ago. He never raised any concern over my lipoprotein levels. My new doctor has been out of residency for about a year. In November, she had my labs run. My LDL and total cholesterol were just barely over the limit. She uses a online calculator to determine heart attack and stroke risk factors. As a result, she put me on atorvastatin,  40 mg. I questioned the dose, but she would not waiver. What I noticed was leg joint pain . I record my usual hikes and excercise sessions with my tracker. My times for my usual hilly hike increased by 8 minutes after i had worked up to a 46 minute times. In march i stopped taking atorvastatin for a week and my leg joint pain seemed to improve. Started them up again and things got worse. At 90 days, she ordered blood work again. I insisted on liver enzyme tests. Her response was  "well if it makes you feel better". My lipoproteins were all well in the appropriate range, but my AST and ALT were both about 3 times normal. She was not concerned but did order more liver tests a month later. I also complained about my leg pains. She wanted to see me for that but said it was not due to the statins. My liver tests were only slightly above normal. Now she wants to change me to rovustatin (Crestor). I ask her if my weight lose and increased activity would help. He answer was that if everything was perfect, I still am at risk and need a statin. According to the calculator she uses, my biggest risk factor (12%) is due to my age, 68 yo. I cant change that! I am frustrated, and like Boomer am in Kaiser Permenente. I am looking for a new doctor. I have been off statins for a week and will stay off of them at least thru the weekend as I will be racing both days and need to be able to move safely on the boat. My speed on my hikes has dramatically improved.

Check around for a good dietician and ask for a referral...

Mark is going a bit stir crazy and wants to go home. I remember going through this and plotting my escape, but was told I need to follow the required steps and game plan, if I wished to go home - so I did as requested.  Hobot continues in his recovery, but not exactly following his physical and occupational therapists game plans, much to Hope's consternation. To get home he must follow their plans, if he wishes to go home in a few weeks, or risk going to a nursing home to finish his recovery. This is the message Hope delivered to Hobot, and she, the therapists and his Doctor remain firm in this, if Hobot wants to get home sooner rather then later.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Check around for a good dietician and ask for a referral...

Several relatives of my son-in-law have become incapacitated from statin use.  I have NO idea why anyone would tolerate such a side effect

1 hour ago, ancientseawolf said:

Several relatives of my son-in-law have become incapacitated from statin use.  I have NO idea why anyone would tolerate such a side effect

My brother can't tolerate it, but I've been on 10mg daily atorvastatin for going on 17 years. Measured cholesterol levels are low, liver enzymes borderline but under high limit guidelines. Recent angio for a possible MI (was myocarditis) said the arteries are perfectly clean.  The Dr seemed disappointed he didn't get to leave a stent behind. Some folks  might not tolerate it, and if you don't, find an alternative, but the shit does work.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been on atorvastatin for decades. Good labs and never a problem. As variable as biology and the human physiology is certain folks may have problems - that is well documented. I don't doubt that but I am not one of them. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Raz&#x27;r said:

My brother can't tolerate it, but I've been on 10mg daily atorvastatin for going on 17 years. Measured cholesterol levels are low, liver enzymes borderline but under high limit guidelines. Recent angio for a possible MI (was myocarditis) said the arteries are perfectly clean.  The Dr seemed disappointed he didn't get to leave a stent behind. Some folks  might not tolerate it, and if you don't, find an alternative, but the shit does work.

Sample of one.  No Control subject.

Could have happened anyway.

Bad things happen if you challenge Big Pharma on Statins.  It was a great doco but the entire show was axed shortly after they aired it. 

ABC's Catalyst staff to be sacked and weekly TV show format scrapped

It has return in name only but is now what I would call 'Infotainment' not investigative journalism like it was.

Statins are bullshit but anyone who questions them are quickly silenced, even ABC programs in the public interest.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Yeah, I've been on atorvastatin for decades. Good labs and never a problem. As variable as biology and the human physiology is certain folks may have problems - that is well documented. I don't doubt that but I am not one of them. 

I have been on generic rosuvastatin for several years now and tolerate it just fine. At least it didn't seem to make any difference to me physically when I went on it, but my blood work improved.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I have been on generic rosuvastatin for several years now and tolerate it just fine. At least it didn't seem to make any difference to me physically when I went on it, but my blood work improved.

Everyone tolerates these meds differently, it seems. I had a MI 18 yrs ago, two stents for 99% LAD and 95% RCA blockages. Took 80mg Atorvastatin, changed to pravastatin and now on 40mg rosuvastatin for years with resultant great bloodwork and hey, I’m still here, so I’m not unhappy. We’re all different; I think you need to self-educate, ask a lot of questions, and partner with your doctor on your healthcare. Had a few caths along the line and many stress tests, but all is well. And all six of my siblings have these issues, some worse than me, plus a grandchild with congenital heart issues. It’s not something to ignore.

Essential viewing if you take statins.  Australian PHd who was sacked from the ABC for exposing the bullshit.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:39 AM, Alhadder said:

This thread, and every other thread for that matter, is sooo much better with ^ on ignore. TGIF

Thanks Alhadder.

We know, he didn't post that to benefit anyone on statins, but rather, to stir the pot. 

Most know the risks of statins, and most have already read or heard the risks the past 20+ years.

He appears not to understand most of us know the risks - which is why we may have had concerns,  doses reduced or took a break from statins.

Those who posted about their experience with statins, for the most part have taken charge of their health. 

I'm sure most on statins have read or been told, if having a reaction/s - then have the dose reduced or take a breaks from them.

One should feel comfortable working with their doctor, and trust their doctor more than an Internet forum group.

One should go to another doctor to get a second opinion, and keep looking for a doctor until one finds one they trust.

Most are aware - If one has more than one complex condition - One should rely on medical advice one gets from a doctor they trust, not an internet forum. 

• Like 3

Calm down, he’s going to be fine and he’ll get back here when it’s time. Until then, we’ll just have to wait it out. He’s a pretty busy guy right now!!

• Like 1

I talked with Hobot this morning. He still working on getting through his recovery and physical therapy.

Just as we began to talk, they were starting him through some procedure or tests and said he'd get beck.

When I hear more I'll get back to you all as soon as I find something out. 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, boomer said:

Thanks Alhadder.

We know, he didn't post that to benefit anyone on statins, but rather, to stir the pot. 

Most know the risks of statins, and most have already read or heard the risks the past 20+ years.

He appears not to understand most of us know the risks - which is why we may have had concerns,  doses reduced or took a break from statins.

Those who posted about their experience with statins, for the most part have taken charge of their health. 

I'm sure most on statins have read or been told, if having a reaction/s - then have the dose reduced or take a breaks from them.

One should feel comfortable working with their doctor, and trust their doctor more than an Internet forum group.

One should go to another doctor to get a second opinion, and keep looking for a doctor until one finds one they trust.

Most are aware - If one has more than one complex condition - One should rely on medical advice one gets from a doctor they trust, not an internet forum. 

Just remember, if you are not getting on with a doctor, you are also doing the doctor a favour by looking around for someone else.

The doctor patient relationship is very subtle, but the core component is trust, find someone matched to your personality you can trust.

• Like 2

So just got off a 1/2 hour video call with Hobot. He now looks like Santa Claus with his beard growth, he looked good and healthy. He's getting stronger in his recovery, however he only get's one visit from a therapist every other day or so, and so far has only had two physical therapy sessions. Hope brought his upright walker at the beginning of the week, yet it's out of his reach to use - so he can't practice just standing a few times a day. So he's not getting the physical and occupational therapy both Hope and Hobot had desired. So Hope is looking to get him transferred across the lake to a rehabilitation center in Kirkland, who actually do delivery a viable daily rehabilitation.

When he was transported to the Urology Clinic to remove the tube supplying his catheter - one of the two attendant ambulance Paramedic's, a young lady leaned over and whispered in Hobot's ear and said, "we don't like this place and how they care for their patients." - in reference to the Kindred Hospital where he's staying. 

When at the Urology clinic, they scoped his bladder through his penis, he said he couldn't look,  but said he didn't feel much pain, and they demonstrated experience - which was comforting. BTW - the Urology clinic, is one where Hope was office manager for a number of years.

Hobot is obviously going stir crazy, with lack of proper rehab. But what really bothers him is how many times he has to give blood through the day and night.- and getting woken at night to give blood. They keep the IV needle in him. However rather then putting another draw needle in and leaving it, they alternate between the back of his hand and his arm. He says only one elderly nurse knows how to find a vein the first try, the rest have to take several stabs at it and a few have used Mark for practice. I remember going through the same, and ended with needle bruises on both arms and back of hands, till I requested a draw needle be left in and capped off when not in use. That's where Mark is now, with little bruises from the inexperienced trying to find a vein - and finally now they're just pricking the end of a finger, since they don't need but a drop of blood to check blood sugar.

Though Hope told me he's not following the plan, Hobot ensures me he is following the plan. I know Mark and he only gets upset with repeated continual incompetence, and he says he had to stop himself from getting upset and saying something about the ongoing incompetence - but still had to tell several LPNs to leave the room, when they couldn't find a vein after repeated attempts. Then the elderly experienced nurse had to follow up, and has nailed the vein, the first time, every time. Hope keeps telling him to stick to the plan, but that upsets him, because two visits for physical therapy and leaving him with an exercise band and telling him to use it through the day, doesn't appear to be much of a plan. I know Mark would like to practice standing and walking with his upright walker, but there's been no attempt to help him with that.

Mark is doing better talking, and getting right through his sentences, and feels a daily improvement with the fogginess clearing. In fact it sounded like the Mark that I knew talking with him, which is a way good sign.

Mark has thought about responding here, but then he figures we'll want him responding to questions or getting on other threads and he's not ready for that yet. He says when he gets home in a few weeks, he feels he'll be ready for posting or any Q & A.

He read about IB passing this morning and like most of us was saddened by Larry's passing.

He says he missing interacting with the sailors here on SA, and is looking forward to getting home with a real key board in front of him, and appreciates the kindness and generosity of the sailors here.

• Like 14
23 minutes ago, boomer said:

So he's not getting the physical and occupational therapy both Hope and Hobot had desired. So Hope is looking to get him transferred across the lake to a rehabilitation center in Kirkland, who actually do delivery a viable daily rehabilitation.

What a shameful use of his time. I’m surprised he wasn’t sent to a Rehab facility at initial discharge. Kindred doesn’t have a stellar reputation in my part of the country, and it’s more of a ‘nursing home’ than a Rehab hospital. Hopefully he’ll get xferred and start an effective rehab program. TY for the update.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, boomer said:

So just got off a 1/2 hour video call with Hobot. He now looks like Santa Claus with his beard growth, he looked good and healthy. He's getting stronger in his recovery, however he only get's one visit from a therapist every other day or so, and so far has only had two physical therapy sessions. Hope brought his upright walker at the beginning of the week, yet it's out of his reach to use - so he can't practice just standing a few times a day. So he's not getting the physical and occupational therapy both Hope and Hobot had desired. So Hope is looking to get him transferred across the lake to a rehabilitation center in Kirkland, who actually do delivery a viable daily rehabilitation.

When he was transported to the Urology Clinic to remove the tube supplying his catheter - one of the two attendant ambulance Paramedic's, a young lady leaned over and whispered in Hobot's ear and said, "we don't like this place and how they care for their patients." - in reference to the Kindred Hospital where he's staying. 

When at the Urology clinic, they scoped his bladder through his penis, he said he couldn't look,  but said he didn't feel much pain, and they demonstrated experience - which was comforting. BTW - the Urology clinic, is one where Hope was office manager for a number of years.

Hobot is obviously going stir crazy, with lack of proper rehab. But what really bothers him is how many times he has to give blood through the day and night.- and getting woken at night to give blood. They keep the IV needle in him. However rather then putting another draw needle in and leaving it, they alternate between the back of his hand and his arm. He says only one elderly nurse knows how to find a vein the first try, the rest have to take several stabs at it and a few have used Mark for practice. I remember going through the same, and ended with needle bruises on both arms and back of hands, till I requested a draw needle be left in and capped off when not in use. That's where Mark is now, with little bruises from the inexperienced trying to find a vein - and finally now they're just pricking the end of a finger, since they don't need but a drop of blood to check blood sugar.

Though Hope told me he's not following the plan, Hobot ensures me he is following the plan. I know Mark and he only gets upset with repeated continual incompetence, and he says he had to stop himself from getting upset and saying something about the ongoing incompetence - but still had to tell several LPNs to leave the room, when they couldn't find a vein after repeated attempts. Then the elderly experienced nurse had to follow up, and has nailed the vein, the first time, every time. Hope keeps telling him to stick to the plan, but that upsets him, because two visits for physical therapy and leaving him with an exercise band and telling him to use it through the day, doesn't appear to be much of a plan. I know Mark would like to practice standing and walking with his upright walker, but there's been no attempt to help him with that.

Mark is doing better talking, and getting right through his sentences, and feels a daily improvement with the fogginess clearing. In fact it sounded like the Mark that I knew talking with him, which is a way good sign.

Mark has thought about responding here, but then he figures we'll want him responding to questions or getting on other threads and he's not ready for that yet. He says when he gets home in a few weeks, he feels he'll be ready for posting or any Q & A.

He read about IB passing this morning and like most of us was saddened by Larry's passing.

He says he missing interacting with the sailors here on SA, and is looking forward to getting home with a real key board in front of him, and appreciates the kindness and generosity of the sailors here.

thanks

3 hours ago, boomer said:

Boomer, Thank you for keeping us up to date with Hotbot and IB. I am sure this has got to have taken a toll on you also (hell its taken a toll on me just reading the threads) take care of yourself. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, boomer said:

So just got off a 1/2 hour video call with Hobot. He now looks like Santa Claus with his beard growth,

Please let him know that all I want for Xmas is for him to be home and healthy, and for good health to all others on this site.  We've had enough bad news to hold us for quite some time.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chester said:

"Hope told me he's not following the plan, Hobot ensures me he is following the plan"...classic! :D.  thanks for the update 

Talked with Hope this evening, for another half hour, there still appears to be a conflict of opinion.  Mark was sitting up in bed a 1/2 an hour at a time yesterday, and trying for sitting up an hour at a time today when I talked with him. I asked Mark, if he could practice sitting up with his feet over the edge of the bed, and try standing at least three times a day. Hope said the same, sit up daily with feet over the side of the bed and try standing at least 3-5 times a day. I'm hoping Mark will try to start doing that tomorrow, just to gain some core strength. His upper body and arms are strong, but his core and his legs are weak and still recovering. I'm just hoping he get's a physical therapist to work with him and push him to exercise his core more - the sooner the core and the legs are strong, the sooner he gets to go home.

• Like 1

Thanks Off Watch. As the intermediary here, I made the decision to stay the course for all of you, for Mark.& Hope.

As for the taking care of myself - I stay religiously to my diet, exercise throughout the day, mixed in with stair climbing, and work around the property - that's what I have to do, to get another 20+ years. Not only amputees, but rather for all of us 65 and older, exercise is medicine and movement is life. As an amputee, if I don't exercise and stay active - on average 60% of amputees 64.5 years and older die within three years.

Today we worked on checking and repairing all the pasture fencing with two trailer loads of lambs arriving in late afternoon. Since we don't have cows and horses anymore, we take in sheep every spring to keep the pastures down.

• Like 6

Glad he is doing better. As an observation from a couple of my hospitalizations if one is a fall risk, which Hobot most certainly is, they really do not want you trying to stand on your own. Hence walkers and the like kept out of reach. Sitting and dangling unsupervised also a no no. You can fall forward and hit the floor. 

So it's frustrating and wrong he is not getting more PT but given the lack of care there, unlikely a trained person will be there for practice dangling and standing with a belt. 

Even when I came home after a week of rehab, Mr C was supposed to put the belt on me to go on the stairs till PT cleared me

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Glad he is doing better. As an observation from a couple of my hospitalizations if one is a fall risk, which Hobot most certainly is, they really do not want you trying to stand on your own. Hence walkers and the like kept out of reach. Sitting and dangling unsupervised also a no no. You can fall forward and hit the floor. 

So it's frustrating and wrong he is not getting more PT but given the lack of care there, unlikely a trained person will be there for practice dangling and standing with a belt. 

Even when I came home after a week of rehab, Mr C was supposed to put the belt on me to go on the stairs till PT cleared me

Yes of course, I just didn't add all the details, expecting everyone to read between the lines. We discussed the same, requesting a physical therapist or someone big enough to hold him up, three times a day, just long enough to help him stand, sit back and get back in bed - with or without the upright walker.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, boomer said:

Yes of course, I just didn't add all the details, expecting everyone to read between the lines. We discussed the same, requesting a physical therapist or someone big enough to hold him up, three times a day, just long enough to help him stand, sit back and get back in bed - with or without the upright walker.

Hopefully he will be somewhere where they have staff to put him in one of those barcalounger chairs a couple of times a day...get you up, walk you over, sit you down...upright for a while. Better for your circulation. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Hopefully he will be somewhere where they have staff to put him in one of those barcalounger chairs a couple of times a day...get you up, walk you over, sit you down...upright for a while. Better for your circulation. 

That would be nice.

Mark and Lucy in better times.

250.jpeg

• Like 10