• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a lot of work ahead of me still. I am and isolation for 2 weeks still at the new facility. I have so much to say to all of you that and so much for Hope and I, My heart has been touched an

Hobot was kept on a drug that put a protective layer over the ulcer yesterday and last night. The bleeding has been stemmed. He was taken off the respirator this morning. However his blood pressure ke

It appears as if Hobot is on the road to recovery. He's propped in his hospital bed up and alert, cutting it up with his nurses. He's also being combative with one of his doctors a tall blonde Doctor

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, hobot said:

I have a lot of work ahead of me still. I am and isolation for 2 weeks still at the new facility.

I have so much to say to all of you that and so much for Hope and I, My heart has been touched and this all has been a very humbling time and i will find a better way in the future too express how I feel.

Still having hard time drinking words together I'm told it's because of my lung capacity.

My bra in is coming back online quickly but I've been laying flat since the beginning of March and it's really messed me up when it comes to trying to walk.

I can stand vertical using a walker but the head rush is almost two much still.

The new rehab place I'm in is very focused on getting me up and running.

I can't wait to take a warm shower.

I plan on starting a new picture page thread, I was on the verge of doing so when I went down hard in March, and have plenty of pictures stored up to get going with it. Having a hard time operating my cell phone still so I can't quite ability yet.

Voice to text is a good thing I'm finding.

Well be back as soon as I'm home in a couple of weeks.

hobot

P.S. keep giving random s*** the guy is a nut bar but necessary nut bar for this website

Welcome Back!!!

• Like 3

So glad to have you back, Hobot! Hang in there. It'll take time and it won't be a straight line upwards but you will recover!

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, hobot said:

I have a lot of work ahead of me still. I am and isolation for 2 weeks still at the new facility.

hobot

P.S. keep giving random s*** the guy is a nut bar but necessary nut bar for this website

Welcome back mate!!!!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, hobot said:

I have so much to say to all of you that and so much for Hope and I, My heart has been touched and this all has been a very humbling time and i will find a better way in the future too express how I feel.

Still having hard time drinking words together I'm told it's because of my lung capacity.

My bra in is coming back online quickly but I've been laying flat since the beginning of March and it's really messed me up when it comes to trying to walk.

I can stand vertical using a walker but the head rush is almost two much still.

I plan on starting a new picture page thread, I was on the verge of doing so when I went down hard in March, and have plenty of pictures stored up to get going with it. Having a hard time operating my cell phone still so I can't quite ability yet.

Voice to text is a good thing I'm finding.

hobot

Really glad to hear from you.  Welcome back.  Welcome to the other side.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Welcome Home @hobot!  Great to hear from you directly, although @boomer did a great job of keeping us updated!  Please take your time to recover before you try to do too much!  We know it'll take a bit of time and a lot of energy!  I had a mild case in January, and can only imagine how bad it was for you.  I got my second Moderna jab earlier this week.  I got the first shot as soon as I could get an appointment.  I had some minor side effects, but I know that it is worth it in the long run!  

Hang in there!  We'll be here, if and when you need us!  

• Like 2

I'm sure he can get a note from Epstiens mother

• Like 2

From the other side of the world it's great to see you back online Hobot.

Oh and with that Random guy I find ignore is your friend. He went back on that list following his dump on Boomer in this thread three weeks ago and then he kept on dumping in other threads.

Good fucking god! Great to see you back Hobo!

1 hour ago, Alhadder said:

From the other side of the world it's great to see you back online Hobot.

Oh and with that Random guy I find ignore is your friend. He went back on that list following his dump on Boomer in this thread three weeks ago and then he kept on dumping in other threads.

Harden the fuck up Al

Hobot was sick and he understands the need for diversity around here, you on the other hand want everyone the be nice all the time!

Welcome back Hobot.  I knew you would make it. 

I put some time in controlling boomer for you, he got all weird with alternative medicine for a bit but it's all good now.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Randorm said:

Welcome back Hobot.  I knew you’d make it. Sounds like I give a shit,  right?

Edited by Sail4beer
Edited to express Randumb better
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Randorm said:

Harden the fuck up Al

Hobot was sick and he understands the need for diversity around here, you on the other hand want everyone the be nice all the time!

Welcome back Hobot.  I knew you would make it. 

I put some time in controlling boomer for you, he got all weird with alternative medicine for a bit but it's all good now.

You have something seriously wrong with you. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Mistere Kottiare = Hobotto?                                :)

Domo arigato Mr. Hotbotto? :P

Ok,  I'll close the door as I leave 

• Like 2

Thanks, too, to Boomer.

OT. This is the Hobot-Boomer thread. Thanks, Sailforbeer, though, for setting up the pay-attention-to me-troll thread. 

Always good to hear of comebacks, and those who care.

No, my bad. I should have just ignored the troll.

Looking forward to the recovery of the picthread too (two?): Hobot's sense of what pics to select is remarkable. 

Yes Hobot's sense for finding those pics is quite remarkable.

The same with his ability taking pics and capturing images - one sees the world as he sees it.

I expect that ability will get more remarkable.

Going to the edge does that, you find fragments of your original beginnings.

On the other hand, once you've been to the edge, you see it from a different perspective.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

Please consider taking up a Fentanyl habit. You know, just for gitts & shiggles?

Could I have some of yours please?

59 minutes ago, boomer said:

On the other hand, once you've been to the edge, you see it from a different perspective.

@boomer, you are a wise man.  Our perspectives and general outlook on life changes once we’ve been to that edge. Don’t recommend it to anyone, but the difference can be extraordinary.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boomer said:

Yes Hobot's sense for finding those pics is quite remarkable.

The same with his ability taking pics and capturing images - one sees the world as he sees it.

I expect that ability will get more remarkable.

Going to the edge does that, you find fragments of your original beginnings.

Copy that. I remrmber some great shots of yours as well Boomer.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Grrr... said:

You have something seriously wrong with you. 

But you are the one in Detroit ...

Welcome back Hobot, it's great that you're on the road to recovery.  Take it one step at a time, one foot in front of the the other.  My favorite aphorism for getting through the tough times is "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it."

Now that the niceties are over I just want to tell you that you better not do that again!  If you needed a break from the picture thread, you could have just politely told us and had your little rest.  But no, you had to go full blown drama and scare the shit out of us!  Don't you dare ever pull another stunt like that or you will incur the wrath of a bunch of angry anarchists.  You got that?  Good, now just keep working on getting better dammit.

And greetings to your lovely lady.  

• Like 9
10 hours ago, hobot said:

You are already back mate! And we are all really happy for it.

Cheers!

• Like 2

@hobot It’s so good to see you back here.

Along the lines of what @Ed Lada said above, concentrate only and exclusively on “The six inches in front of your face”.

What you’re facing now is akin to eating an elephant; seems impossible but it’s just one bite at a time.

Mind yourself, and those around you. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Randorm said:

Could I have some of yours please?

Fuk, What's your address. I'll take up a collection!! 

You are the first person I ever blocked on this site. After my account got nuked in one of Scott's "upgrades", I left everyone unblocked. That was a mistake.

Back onto ignore you go

WL

• Like 2
22 hours ago, hobot said:

Still having hard time drinking...

hobot

Gawd Damn. I’m not a sentimental man... but the pollen got thick in here.  

Welcome back, Hobot. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Gawd Damn. I’m not a sentimental man... but the pollen got thick in here.  

Welcome back, Hobot. 

Yeah, I've been cutting onions too.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, boomer said:

I owe some likes above, but ran out for the previous 24 hr period late last night.

I hate when that happens!   

I think they could bump up the limit some without creating the havoc that caused the need for a limit.

• Like 1
On 5/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, hobot said:

Still having hard time drinking

This worries me.  What the hell am I going to do with all this Single Malt Highland Scotch?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

This worries me.  What the hell am I going to do with all this Single Malt Highland Scotch?

I'm on the next flight from California.  Save some for me...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

if you need to ask ..............

• Like 1
On 5/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, hobot said:

That's good to hear! I hope they continue to follow through. Get well!

And! this boat has lifelines for the rehabing. You'll love it. Peterson 1/2 tonner. we went upwind averaging 5.5 last Thursday. wind was 25 gusts to 35. She had her ears about 8" unser water and still trucking. It's no 6mR  but it is a Peterson! I'll never forget you actually running up the deck of Sockeye from stern to stem inside the genoa. you can trim main if you want to for a while. We won't tell the union.

• Like 3

Good to know you're out of the woods Hobbs - you had us all worried there for a while.

Fucking COVID!!  (and cancer) ( and mental illness) 
This forum of thousands  is largely driven by a few dozen stalwarts we count on to play their roles. 

The community suffers when we lose one of those stalwarts either because of their physical health or because their mental illness forces the moderators to cut off access. 

I cannot begin to fathom what it must be like to be seriously ill for over a year. ..... so seriously ill I couldn’t type. 

a few of my generally healthy friends have died. @hobothas continued to fight back for over a year. 

Fight on!!!

Fuck COVID !!! 

21 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

This forum of thousands  is largely driven by a few dozen stalwarts we count on to play their roles. 

Thack you!  Somtimes ist harde to shoildiere on......             :)

Hobot just called. He talked more fluidly, with his sentences sounding like how Hobot originally talked. He'd accomplished talking normally with breathing exercises. To improve his blood pressure, he's also doing exercises in bed - doing feet exercises and leg lifts before attempting to sit up and then stand out of the bed - so he now stands without getting dizzy. He can now transfer from the bed to the wheelchair or walker on his own. Using his walker, he just finished a half dozen laps up and down his 28' room. This hospital's staff have proven themselves to Hobot, far beyond what he was initally expecting, teaching, cajoling and pushing Hobot to perform. He also sits up to eat with his legs over the side of the bed with every meal.

He said, "I was testing the waters posting the other night." But plans to ease into it. I believe he used voice to type his message. He once again said, "I can't express my gratitude enough to everyone here in the SA community."

His physical therapist arrived for more exercise for Hobot, so we had to cut the phone call short.

Rather then interrupt his schedule, I let Mark call me and let him know so.

When I hear more from him, I'll let you all know.

• Like 22

This is great, thanks Boomer!

Sounds like Hobot is solidly on the virtuous circle of small gains leading quickly to bigger gains. That last 20% can be a bitch but the first 80% will come quickly if he sticks with the program. 

My pleasure!

He's fairly serious about sticking to the program - with the reward being, able to go home.

A few shots of Hobot doing bow on Sockeye USA 119, in the Sir Thomas Lipton Cup, the King Olav Cup and the US Nationals. Spinnaker USA 122 used aboard Sockeye as a light air "whomper". I don't recall why Pat chose to fly that kite, perhaps we needed a repair on our light air kite, but way to big for Sockeye, as seen in the pic. Pat did pick up a new Kevlar main from North at the end of that season, after all the important races concluded.

_DSC0336 copy.jpg

sockeye foredeck crew.jpg

DSC_6278.jpg

DSC_6319.jpg

Hanko-Sock.jpg

Fin-Soc-Hank.jpg

Fin-Soc-Hank-Frenz.jpg

5boats.jpg

PTintls070389.deo..jpg

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Well at least someone has got their eyes out of the boat, as opposed to trying to open the cooler!

After the race shot, with half a dozen boats in close proximity maneuvering. So yes, Pat was driving and had his eyes on the other boats and/or looking for the signal flag for the next race. I don't recall what we were doing, either clean up, fixing something, packing a chute or ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, boomer said:

After the race shot, with half a dozen boats in close proximity maneuvering. So yes, Pat was driving and had his eyes on the other boats or looking for the signal flag for the next race. I don't recall what we were doing, either clean up, fixing something, packing a chute or ?

Should I have used purple font? ;)

6 hours ago, boomer said:

This hospital's staff have proven themselves to Hobot, far beyond what he was initally expecting, teaching, cajoling and pushing Hobot to perform.

Fan-Fucking-Tastic!

It helps the mental aspect so much when you trust the team around you during recovery, which can make a huge difference in how quickly the physical aspect comes along.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, boomer said:

My pleasure!

He's fairly serious about sticking to the program - with the reward being, able to go home.

A few shots of Hobot doing bow on Sockeye USA 119, in the Sir Thomas Lipton Cup, the King Olav Cup and the US Nationals. Spinnaker USA 122 used aboard Sockeye as a light air "whomper". I don't recall why Pat chose to fly that kite, perhaps we needed a repair on our light air kite, but way to big for Sockeye, as seen in the pic. Pat did pick up a new Kevlar main from North at the end of that season, after all the important races concluded.

_DSC0336 copy.jpg

sockeye foredeck crew.jpg

DSC_6278.jpg

DSC_6319.jpg

Hanko-Sock.jpg

Fin-Soc-Hank.jpg

Fin-Soc-Hank-Frenz.jpg

5boats.jpg

PTintls070389.deo..jpg

Meter boats are gorgeous...

• Like 2

If I could add a comment from the other end of the planet?

Hobot.... great to hear you're doing ok.  Keep it up

All the best

On 5/9/2021 at 10:06 PM, NaptimeAgain said:

Welcome back Hobot.  This thread will celebrate collective relief by going straight into the crapper with personal insults in true SA style.  

No it won't, you bastard!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bacchus66 said:

Meter boats are indeed very very pretty. J class boats, OTOH, are gorgeous.

Cheveyo-J-Class-racing-yacht-5.jpg

785973_1080x580fq75.jpg

J's are very very pretty and majestic, but the shape of the bow sort of midway between the mast and the stem seems just a bit too full, with a noticeable effect on the sheer - making them just a tiny bit less than perfect in shape.

Classic meter boats are more balanced to my eye!

I have launched another Random Pic page. Though I am doing better my coordination and my brain is a bit foggy still and I was laying here thinking that maybe this would be a good exercise for me to do.

I'm having to use my phone to do this so bear with me and I will start pumping out pictures I have saved.

• Like 26
On 5/12/2021 at 6:37 AM, alphafb552 said:

J's are very very pretty and majestic, but the shape of the bow sort of midway between the mast and the stem seems just a bit too full, with a noticeable effect on the sheer - making them just a tiny bit less than perfect in shape.

Classic meter boats are more balanced to my eye!

We will end up having to agree to disagree on this one. Though I will say that probably the best/fastest ever built (Ranger) is certainly the prettiest J ever. That honor would likely belong to either Endeavour or Valsheda. At least among the ones I have seen the most pictures of.

I will say I like the smaller meter class boats better than the 12's, generally speaking.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:22 PM, hobot said:

I have launched another Random Pic page. Though I am doing better my coordination and my brain is a bit foggy still and I was laying here thinking that maybe this would be a good exercise for me to do.

I'm having to use my phone to do this so bear with me and I will start pumping out pictures I have saved.

It's great to have you back posting, and I'm all for anything that helps with your focus and mental clarity.

Still, speaking as a long time follower of the random pic thread, and having thoroughly enjoyed the many rabbit holes your photo finds have sent me down, please know that we want you healthy more than we want new posts.

Like I said, as long as it helps you, I'm all for it, just please don't push too hard. Push just hard enough, if you get my meaning.

• Like 1

a picture Hope took of hobot drifting around in hallucination land.

It's very we ird stuff and it was all extremely realistic, some not fun but at least no Carlos Castaneda stuff which was very fine with me.

I've come a long way since the picture was taken.

:)

8463278815258582171.jpg

• Like 1

Damn, Hobot. You leaned way out over that edge and looked deep into the abyss. Welcome back to solid ground!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bacchus66 said:

We will end up having to agree to disagree on this one. Though I will say that probably the best/fastest ever built (Ranger) is certainly the prettiest J ever. That honor would likely belong to either Endeavour or Valsheda. At least among the ones I have seen the most pictures of.

I will say I like the smaller meter class boats better than the 12's, generally speaking.

.. is certainly the *not* the prettiest J. Noticed this too late to edit. Ah well.

Mark is progressing. He's practicing walking with a quad cane since last Friday, Saturday he achieved 20 steps with the quad cane. He's exercising and working hard every day to keep progressing, because apparently he's been given till the 2nd of June by his insurance company. I didn't know there was a time limit on recovery from Covid 19 - Grrrr! 

He says posting pics is fairly easy for him, but texting with a Smart Phone is difficult, and wanted me to relay this to you all.

• Like 14

Thanks Boomer.

Ins. Co.s suck.

• Like 2

As if Mark and Hope doesn't have enough to deal with. Hope is in surgery right now having her gall-bladder removed. 

I really feel for Mark and Hope right now, and know Mark is stressing this, till Hope's surgery is finished and she recovers. I know their relationship is being strengthened and  tempered with every  hurdle and adversity. But enough already!

In my experience, shit comes in lumps.  We just went through a stretch like that, in the last year. I know that this does not make things any easier but I'm sending lots of good vibes their way.  When you're in hell,  just keep going!!!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, boomer said:

As if Mark and Hope doesn't have enough to deal with. Hope is in surgery right now having her gall-bladder removed. 

I really feel for Mark and Hope right now, and know Mark is stressing this, till Hope's surgery is finished and she recovers. I know their relationship is being strengthened and  tempered with every  hurdle and adversity. But enough already!

god dammit!  JFC, can our peeps get a fuking break here? all the best to Hope.

• Like 1