Looking for a cheap tablet to duplicate my MFD (Raymarine Axiom 9) screen. Anyone have experience to share? 

Think something like this would work? Basically disposable at the price

https://www.amazon.ca/fire-7-tablet/dp/B07JY2JJWK/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=rough+use+tablet&qid=1616691641&sr=8-10

but all it needs to do is carry this app:

https://www.raymarine.com/mobile-apps/raycontrol.html

I looked at the fire tablets also, it was not clear that you could load other aps as it is an amazon controlled version of android OS. They keep the price low to force you into amazon marketing, I ended up with a samsung active tab, more money but waterproof, shockproof, and works fine with the raymarine app. It also has a GPS so is a back up chartplotter on it's own with navioinics etc.

1 hour ago, inneedofadvice said:

Looking for a cheap tablet to duplicate my MFD (Raymarine Axiom 9) screen. Anyone have experience to share? 

Think something like this would work? Basically disposable at the price

https://www.amazon.ca/fire-7-tablet/dp/B07JY2JJWK/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=rough+use+tablet&qid=1616691641&sr=8-10

but all it needs to do is carry this app:

https://www.raymarine.com/mobile-apps/raycontrol.html

I'm no expert, but Barnes and Noble just announced a new Nook that will be made by Lenovo and WILL connect to Google's Play store.  My understanding is the Fire tablets don't and that will make getting apps a pain. For that reason alone I'd recommend it over a Fire tablet even if it's a few dollars more.

Most of the other low cost tablets I've seen run older versions of Android.

https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/press-releases/barnes-noble-introduces-new-nook-10-hd-tablet-designed-with-lenovo/

21 hours ago, PurpleOnion said:

I'm no expert, but Barnes and Noble just announced a new Nook that will be made by Lenovo and WILL connect to Google's Play store.  My understanding is the Fire tablets don't and that will make getting apps a pain. For that reason alone I'd recommend it over a Fire tablet even if it's a few dollars more.

https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/press-releases/barnes-noble-introduces-new-nook-10-hd-tablet-designed-with-lenovo/

Thanks, I found a list that shows all the acceptable platforms that are capable and it turns out it isn't listed. I just am debating whether or not I want to suck it up and pay for a Galaxy Tab Active Pro for $675 or look for something cheap that I don't need to worry about when it gets destroyed. Who knows, sometimes stuff like that lasts.

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Galaxy-Active-Water-Resistant-Rugged/dp/B07YNJD8J3

3 hours ago, inneedofadvice said:

look for something cheap that I don't need to worry about when it gets destroyed.

I took this route and have an iPad Mini 2 that I bought used about 4 or 5 years ago.  This lets me use the same apps on my phone (which also runs iOS).  It works well on the boat and I keep it in a waterproof case.  If it died I'd probably buy another cheap used iPad.

On 3/26/2021 at 6:30 PM, Alex W said:

I took this route and have an iPad Mini 2 that I bought used about 4 or 5 years ago.  This lets me use the same apps on my phone (which also runs iOS).  It works well on the boat and I keep it in a waterproof case.  If it died I'd probably buy another cheap used iPad.

I have this setup with my Axiom 7. I think my iPad is from 2012 or 2013, still works fine as a repeater on RayView. 

On 3/26/2021 at 6:55 PM, inneedofadvice said:

Good thought. When I searched brightest screen iPads were the best though definitely not the cheapest 

I take it your plotter is down below and you want to have your tablet on deck? Otherwise, if your plotter is in the cockpit, and the iPad is just for down below, then brightness shouldn't be an issue. 

Btw, it doesn't look like the RayControl App is still available. Search "RayControl" in the app store and you get a link for RayView, which is essentially a repeater (works best on an a tablet for bigger display), and RayRemote (works best on a phone for easier one-handed use), which is, as you'd guess, a remote control for your plotter. The latter is really only of use if your plotter is close enough to see but too far to reach. It does not turn your tablet into a master view of the plotter (i.e., full plotter display and control).  

Just something you might consider while searching for the right device.  

13 minutes ago, Will_Co said:

I have this setup with my Axiom 7. I think my iPad is from 2012 or 2013, still works fine as a repeater on RayView. 

I take it your plotter is down below and you want to have your tablet on deck? Otherwise, if your plotter is in the cockpit, and the iPad is just for down below, then brightness shouldn't be an issue. 

Btw, it doesn't look like the RayControl App is still available. Search "RayControl" in the app store and you get a link for RayView, which is essentially a repeater (works best on an a tablet for bigger display), and RayRemote (works best on a phone for easier one-handed use), which is, as you'd guess, a remote control for your plotter. The latter is really only of use if your plotter is close enough to see but too far to reach. It does not turn your tablet into a master view of the plotter (i.e., full plotter display and control).  

Just something you might consider while searching for the right device.  

Thanks Will_Co that turned out to be super helpful. The reason I wanted a tablet is because the RayRemote app said the controls on a phone would be to small to use effectively. When I looked up RayRemote it has been optimized for phones. It downloaded from the iphone app store easily(searched 'raymarine rayremote'). Haven't been to the boat yet to try it but if it works I guess beers are on me.

I have the Axiom 9, and an iPhone 6S.  The Axiom is down below at the Nav. station.  But I can only use the iPhone as a repeater, not as a remote. 

I would also like to know what tablet to use as a remote at the helm.  

2 hours ago, Crossland said:

I have the Axiom 9, and an iPhone 6S.  The Axiom is down below at the Nav. station.  But I can only use the iPhone as a repeater, not as a remote. 

I would also like to know what tablet to use as a remote at the helm.  

Which app do you have on your phone?

So I downloaded the Ray Remote to my Iphone and while it does control some aspects of my Axiom 9 MFD I couldn't seem to make it do the things that I had hoped I could do on it, such as ping the start line or start the timer. For most changes that you attempt to make it pops up a 'remote' icon that if you hit it takes you to the screen shown below on the left. Then, if you are in visual range of your MFD you can change screens, zoom in and out and a few other things. If you aren't in view of your MFD you can attempt it blind which seems pretty useless to me. So back to the drawing board I guess.

RayRemote - iPhone with display | Raymarine

2 hours ago, inneedofadvice said:

So I downloaded the Ray Remote to my Iphone and while it does control some aspects of my Axiom 9 MFD I couldn't seem to make it do the things that I had hoped I could do on it, such as ping the start line or start the timer. For most changes that you attempt to make it pops up a 'remote' icon that if you hit it takes you to the screen shown below on the left. Then, if you are in visual range of your MFD you can change screens, zoom in and out and a few other things. If you aren't in view of your MFD you can attempt it blind which seems pretty useless to me. So back to the drawing board I guess.

RayRemote - iPhone with display | Raymarine

I have an old version of RayControl on my iPad that offers full touchscreen control of my Raymarine A7 touchscreen plotter at the nav table, as though I was standing in front of the actual Raymarine device.

I did download a new version of RayRemote to my iPhone and encountered the same problem as you, but not sure if it's the small screen on the iPhone, or the new RayRemote vs old RayControl app. Have you tried on an iPad instead? 

The old RayControl was my go-to means of operating my plotter, so hopefully they haven't wrecked it...

Haven’t tried an iPad or tablet. Looks like I’ll have to break down and buy one if I want control from another device. Good to know it works on the iPad. I’d hate to buy one and have it do what the phone did 

Ray designed the app to not allow full control with the phone, only the pad app allows full mirroring of the MFD display and functions. I have no trouble with my old e7 working with an ipad 2, ipad mini, and current galaxy tab. Some reviews indicate problems with newer ray MFDs working with the app so you might borrow a tablet to try first. The app is free so you could try it on a friends tab first.

I have a few Fire Tablets. Only way to download .apk's on them is to side load them. IT can be done and isn't as streamlined as downloading them from the Google Play store however once you've installed Kodi on a Fire TV everything else is a piece of cake. One thing I will say is that by side loading them, they aren't vetted on the device and sometimes aren't very stable. I tried loading iNavix on my kids Fire tablet to see if it would work and it kept crashing

I bought a device to put the NMEA 2000 network onto WiFi and now I use my iPad directly without using the Raymarine mirroring app.  This gives me better results and also has much lower power use (since my plotter is off almost all of the time).

I use this device: https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_gateway.html

I use this app: http://seaiq.com/recreational.html

On 3/25/2021 at 5:41 PM, PurpleOnion said:

This new nook looks interesting. For $130 I placed an order for one, and will give it a try.

My instruments are B&G and can interface via an Android App. I have been keeping my eye out for used tablets that are sunlight readable at a price that is disposable. Problem most don't go beyond Android 7. This product is new and cheaper than the used devices.

Not all APKs will work on Fire tablets because Fire tablets don't include all of Google's Android Services. But that doesn't matter here since Raymarine indicates that their app is in the Amazon store, which means they've built out and tested an app that works on the Fire tablet. Get one and dedicate it to MFD duty and you will be happy.

On 4/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, b393capt said:

This new nook looks interesting. For $130 I placed an order for one, and will give it a try.

My instruments are B&G and can interface via an Android App. I have been keeping my eye out for used tablets that are sunlight readable at a price that is disposable. Problem most don't go beyond Android 7. This product is new and cheaper than the used devices.

I received this Saturday. I had high hopes as a book reader it would work well in sunlight.

This product falls short of being sunlight readable. The screen is very reflective, picking up reflections of everything, The reflections in my backyard overpowered the fairly bright 400 nit rating on the screen. I expect on the water it will be worse.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, inneedofadvice said:

Thanks, I found a list that shows all the acceptable platforms that are capable and it turns out it isn't listed. I just am debating whether or not I want to suck it up and pay for a Galaxy Tab Active Pro for $675 or look for something cheap that I don't need to worry about when it gets destroyed. Who knows, sometimes stuff like that lasts.

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Galaxy-Active-Water-Resistant-Rugged/dp/B07YNJD8J3

you can get a Samsung Galaxy A8 for  $119

12 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you can get a Samsung Galaxy A8 for  $119

Thanks all. I was talking to my son over the weekend and he said I can have his iPad Air that he isn’t using so that kind of took care of the issue. Even if it’s bent. 

F39223D9-793D-449B-812C-E6A154FB1870.jpeg

10 hours ago, inneedofadvice said:

Thanks all. I was talking to my son over the weekend and he said I can have his iPad Air that he isn’t using so that kind of took care of the issue. Even if it’s bent. 

if it's got cellular connectivity you're good to go as it'll have a gps chip,  if it's wifi only, there isn't any gps...   if you find something you like, buy a couple as it seems tablets are being phased out,  currently  only apple and samsung seem to be producing them

11 hours ago, inneedofadvice said:

Sheds water....

• Like 1

Are there any of the remote screens available that are sunlight readable? My galaxy tablet work well doing all the nav functions but can only read it down below.

On 4/11/2021 at 6:25 AM, John D said:

Are there any of the remote screens available that are sunlight readable? My galaxy tablet work well doing all the nav functions but can only read it down below.

What about the Sailracer Ink display? 

1 hour ago, RImike said:

What about the Sailracer Ink display? 

Is that available anymore?  The buy now link hasn’t worked for months.