If anyone is wondering what ever happened to Rimas, he’s living in Hawaii and is boatless.    I (Jean, the Enabler) have retired from giving boats away.  I gave away about 8 total.  To correct some of the inaccuracies on this site my last boat was a Cal 2-27. My current boat a Freya 39 and my micro cruiser a Aquarius 21.  I’m currently cruising Mexico and have a YouTube page under my name Jean Mondeau. That’s all for now.  

• Like 6

And the cockroach survives and lands in paradise on his feet.  Good on him, grifting has treated him well.  Maybe time to sell everything, downgrade my boat and set off for a drift across the Pacific.  Glad to hear Jean is well and has conquered his enabling habit.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jmmondeau said:

If anyone is wondering what ever happened to Rimas, he’s living in Hawaii and is boatless.    I (Jean, the Enabler) have retired from giving boats away.  I gave away about 8 total.  To correct some of the inaccuracies on this site my last boat was a Cal 2-27. My current boat a Freya 39 and my micro cruiser a Aquarius 21.  I’m currently cruising Mexico and have a YouTube page under my name Jean Mondeau. That’s all for now.  

buy an ad you enabler! j/k read his thread we all know where he's stuck.

And ya gotta know he has a couple of wahines taking care of his needs. Vietnam? American Samoa anyone?   The guys a chick magnet. Bet he's got him some teeth by now.

6 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

And ya gotta know he has a couple of wahines taking care of his needs. Vietnam? American Samoa anyone?   The guys a chick magnet. Bet he's got him some teeth by now.

Ime am thickeng hese attrackeng manney suffereng frome 'Flornce Nittengale' sindrome............                     :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey @jmmondeau,

Just caught this thread, thanks for the update.

I must say, and I will not opine about whether it is a good or bad thing, the adventures of Rimas provided me with a lot of entertainment.  I even picked my catchy username when I moved from lurker-status as sort of a combined spirit of Rimas and one of the undercurrents of this website to never take life too seriously and always remember to stand back once in a while and make a mockery out of the world and have a good laugh.

I also learned at least one thing - yes, those Buttery Idaho instant mashed potatoes are unexpectedly tasty.  Definitely not something I eat regularly, but there is always a pack or two on the boat now along with the canned food and such for times when fresh goods are unavailable or to just make something quick.  A couple of years ago, a few hundred off the coast out of Seattle on a hot day sunny day when there was no wind and I was getting super bored, I even just cooked up a pot instead of turning on the diesel. 

That only lasted for a few hours before I decided to get moving again at 1500rpm.  I guess I don't have quite what it takes to be at his level of seamanship?

Good to hear our distant hero is doing well, and I think he in his own quirky way has become a little bit of a famous sailor.  Perhaps just not in the way he expected :)

Cheers.

Those Idaho buttery potatoes are good.  Rimas is doing fine on his land life. Although he never really became a sailor because he just sails downwind and maybe broad reach, his tenacity and the sea currents were what got him around.  He never ever made any landfalls.  He was towed into every place he ever went. Mostly where he drifted to.  He would start in a general direction thousands of miles away and adjust accordingly and take what fate would deliver him.  He was a great source of entertainment, particularly because of the internet banter that criticized him so brutally that was soo funny.  But for his safety I can’t launch him any more.  He’s also 70 years old.   Hawaii is a great retirement place for him.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, jmmondeau said:

Those Idaho buttery potatoes are good.  Rimas is doing fine on his land life. Although he never really became a sailor because he just sails downwind and maybe broad reach, his tenacity and the sea currents were what got him around.  He never ever made any landfalls.  He was towed into every place he ever went. Mostly where he drifted to.  He would start in a general direction thousands of miles away and adjust accordingly and take what fate would deliver him.  He was a great source of entertainment, particularly because of the internet banter that criticized him so brutally that was soo funny.  But for his safety I can’t launch him any more.  He’s also 70 years old.   Hawaii is a great retirement place for him.  

Rimas needs to sort out an endorsement deal for those buttery mashed potatoes. I can honestly say I bought them for the first time as a novelty purely because of Rimas. Now I actually like them!

• Like 3

I spent a couple of hours with him at Shannon's home on Whidbey Island. He is a charming conversationalist. This was right before Shannon helped him get cataract surgery and this has improved Rimas's life considerably.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

In the top 5 threads here IMO. The mac26 thread I think is still tops. Shame rimus never drifited in a mac26.

That would have been a perfect boat for him. 

No. The Mac 26X is not a blue water boat no matter how much Frank Mighetto says it is. The SJ24 and the Rawson 30 were much better boats for him. 

I shudder thinking of Rimas having to deal with water ballast tanks. 

I beg to differ on the buttery mashed potatoes thing.  I too bought a packet to test.  Two problems:

• A packet makes four servings, almost impossible to eat by yourself in a single sitting.
  • It's like concrete, fluffy and definitely mash potatoesque freshly prepared,  but after a few hours hardens to stone and it's the devil to clean out the pan.
32 minutes ago, axolotl said:

I beg to differ on the buttery mashed potatoes thing.  I too bought a packet to test.  Two problems:

• A packet makes four servings, almost impossible to eat by yourself in a single sitting.
  • It's like concrete, fluffy and definitely mash potatoesque freshly prepared,  but after a few hours hardens to stone and it's the devil to clean out the pan.

3332566_01i_0118_s.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, axolotl said:

Eat faster or get a dog to help with the leftovers. Works for me. 

Yes me and a buddy who financed all of Rimas’s adventures wanted to write a comedy and use all of the absolutely hilarious comments from sailing anarchy and other blogs along with photos and stuff but we don’t know how to retrieve all those old strings of armchair sailors from years ago.  It was pretty funny. 

7 hours ago, axolotl said:

Which is another reason for the chicken. Peck out the pan too.

Rimas = genius.

It's great that even in retirement, Captain Rimas can inspire such memories and banter. what is he living on?

On 3/26/2021 at 9:30 AM, See Level said:

Last I heard he was working as a pilot on the Suez Canal

This is funniest thing I've read in weeks.

• Like 1
On 6/8/2021 at 2:38 PM, axolotl said:

A dual purpose product, perhaps? For dinner, a tasty side dish; for at sea emergency, a hull patch material.

6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

For some reason this photo made me think of him. Like Rimas the engineer set out with the best intentions but without the faintest clue about what was required.

390611614647180-e1576064839941.jpeg

On the contrary, it’s designed to work when you’re in over your head.  I guess Rimas never got in over his head. 

On 6/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, jmmondeau said:

Yes me and a buddy who financed all of Rimas’s adventures wanted to write a comedy and use all of the absolutely hilarious comments from sailing anarchy and other blogs along with photos and stuff but we don’t know how to retrieve all those old strings of armchair sailors from years ago.  It was pretty funny. 

It's all still there, 251 pages:

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

For some reason this photo made me think of him. Like Rimas the engineer set out with the best intentions but without the faintest clue about what was required.

On the contrary.  It’s designed so that if you get over your head it works.  I guess he never got in over his head. 

On 3/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, jmmondeau said:

for anyone else wanting to catchup. is this the full story? is there a highlights version?

11 hours ago, jmmondeau said:

Holy crap, thanks.  Well I’ll start that book.  That’s a lot of pages.  It’s gonna take some time.  

Please let us know when it's finished. Will you have a book signing with Rimas in person? Don't forget the talk show circuit!

On 6/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, jmmondeau said:

Yep, and if there was ever an internet forum just packed with people who never sail, who've never been there, done that, it's this one.  

You've got an amazing grasp of the audience here.  It's not quite as solid as your grasp on Rimas' strong sailing abilities (what?  he hasn't died yet... so he's a great sailor) but everybody holds out hope you'll complete the Great American Satire Novel with the same skill you apply to searching the SA archives.  

Ps. I strongly recommend that when you write that novel, you use the pen name Ignatius Riley, so people won't be able to link you up with your SA sock.  

On 6/13/2021 at 2:23 PM, LB 15 said:

Reminds me of when we got the new training ship at Maine Maritime.  It was originally a Navy “oceanographic research vessel” (read: sub chaser/spy ship) that had been used for 2 years before having an engine casualty.  They’d built the main deck with a camber (nobody builds big steel ships with deck camber any more), and therefore the staterooms on that deck had a slight outboard slope.  Some genius plumbed the deck drains on the high side.  And connected the drain to the black water system.  And it backed up.  Having to bail several inches of poop from the low side is one reason I didn’t become an engineer (reinforced later on a different ship when a vacuum sanitary system plugged up which could be cleared only by unbolting a pipe flange from directly underneath.  Poor guy got five decks of poop come down on his head).