Thinking of adding a code 0 to the J88, anyone got one for their J88? I’m thinking of a moderate sized sail that isn’t too big as the boat will mostly be sailed short handed. Also keen to hear what furlers people are using

Likely not news to you but North is touting their helix technology as a great asset here due to the diminished need for luff tension. If you managed a bob stay like Blur I suppose that issue would go away. 

Size is always a consideration; you want the area in the light stuff, but as the J/111 the J/88 becomes overpowered quickly.

We've gone with Profurl NEX furlers, and are super happy. New Karver also looks nice.

Current thoughts are something around 45sqm and some sort of “cable free” type luff. North have been banging the drum on their helix luff code 0s a lot but I’ve also noticed they’re still sticking chunky Marlow anti torsion cables in the luff and not always a fancy Future Fibres cable that stows easily. As for furlers I’m seriously tempted by the new Karver KF0.9 furler, Karver recommend for sails between 50-60sqm. If it was a conventional C0 I’d probably go a size up to a 1.5T furler but without the cable it should be under less load. We’ll probably fit a bobstay anyway

13 hours ago, JL92S said:

s for furlers I’m seriously tempted by the new Karver KF0.9 furler, Karver recommend for sails between 50-60sqm.

The drum is too small for a j/88 code zero - with such a small diameter its too difficult to furl. Go the next size up. 

We have a 48 sqm up wind zero from Evolution Sails. It sheets to the jib tracks. In 0-8 knots the sail goes upwind faster than the jib, and on any cracked off reach the boat really takes off.  In anything under 6 the boat will create its own apparent and sail at or above wind speed. We can sail it as tight as 45 true wind angle in light air but is pretty effective till about 75 true. It nicely fills the gap between the jib and A3. We run it on a rontsan furler. Once you get over the leach flapping you'll love it.

• Like 2

Piper, I have been thinking about this kind of sail since seeing one on this forum on a Sunfast 3300. They call it their J1 and it looks like a jib tacked to the sprit. Do you have any idea of the impact on your phrf handicap? Also, are you ok with the luff tension off the sprit or have you rigged up a bobstay?

21 hours ago, piper said:

We have a 48 sqm up wind zero from Evolution Sails. It sheets to the jib tracks. In 0-8 knots the sail goes upwind faster than the jib, and on any cracked off reach the boat really takes off.  In anything under 6 the boat will create its own apparent and sail at or above wind speed. We can sail it as tight as 45 true wind angle in light air but is pretty effective till about 75 true. It nicely fills the gap between the jib and A3. We run it on a rontsan furler. Once you get over the leach flapping you'll love it.

Looks like you are in the US so you may race under a different rule but do you happen to know if that sail would measure as a spinnaker under IRC (i.e. >75% SMG)? If it's just a big headsail I suspect the IRC impact is punitive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 5:44 AM, danstanford said:

Piper, I have been thinking about this kind of sail since seeing one on this forum on a Sunfast 3300. They call it their J1 and it looks like a jib tacked to the sprit. Do you have any idea of the impact on your phrf handicap? Also, are you ok with the luff tension off the sprit or have you rigged up a bobstay?

This sail measures like a small spinnaker as the SMG is > 75% of foot length. So there is not a PHRF rating hit. Like I mentioned, when trimmed close hauled the leech flaps pretty badly  (or you are forced to pull on leech coard and deal with the hook). The sail is on a furler, so leech tension is critical. I have installed a bob stay to carry this load but it is fixed length which means the tension is tied to the pole out purchase. The pole out purchase needs to be upgraded to carry a sail like this (ie pole out block & hardware on the forward bulkhead and a 8mm dyneema line). Below is photo of a similar sail to mine. Don't mind the leach hook. It's still very fast.

Xt3sa-cSdKgj66PHtT_KtNw0z3v-iNFqGf8_0ZJ21GIiV-J1BXEL_kL3ThbKoVl0-UCeTrjzhHDc8d6RanGucpq6KKgorQCDY75M5RC5DcaZDsH2U_y3SMB_6_iMlUaDQQxDXCUl-QvJTBR8oxKQ5j9h2tjoEOafAqdcX_bVJc61uCFWlkIZDanilRuG7-FTy1I5pRg84SIrZICwqWLjHClGU-nWgFOko4VrDikeEOeWjFO8rM-9hppemJoAQmu5N9z2xLv2GTlZ1dtoBQkjXjlJ1N65MRwY2jetvFCp_jUtMyhmOxJsRQw_QNdTebrVUl7tel_P5JsZC2VcGX15N2te_NAJHdnznmOhaASdmDHdaQdagMaIg25a167JJ8mWyPT8DIGVvHSEUVvAEufnU3sjlFQDEVKsuUdQkDblEhr0cuYHQBhGhu81ioNV6NFbqeRfxlm6AkiItsTtPYzpwhyMisj2B3lUBHlskW0vz0dTpze-6Ku3zA6NCkMdS1Bz46Tj_bZBMY7REFHQ9OC1LKZBmVSFSAXNGdFDbxkOzbmVZTCgMq1WCdXGB0dMtQoBX0WtO9InpPlbeohjfoSy-uOd25Zoq30PaR17q6OogcEw1psnGA7USPVvO-rL2HfcNtrFLO7n99EHJcwhfFBTd5uc3tAW8c6f2PKFmCVYTli7YGNq9dzeJ16e4bT1HdUYi9Won-hYO5uKBruUPhUtqfk=w590-h786-no?authuser=0

• Like 1
3 hours ago, piper said:

This sail measures like a small spinnaker as the SMG is > 75% of foot length. So there is not a PHRF rating hit. Like I mentioned, when trimmed close hauled the leech flaps pretty badly  (or you are forced to pull on leech coard and deal with the hook). The sail is on a furler, so leech tension is critical. I have installed a bob stay to carry this load but it is fixed length which means the tension is tied to the pole out purchase. The pole out purchase needs to be upgraded to carry a sail like this (ie pole out block & hardware on the forward bulkhead and a 8mm dyneema line). Below is photo of a similar sail to mine. Don't mind the leach hook. It's still very fast.

Xt3sa-cSdKgj66PHtT_KtNw0z3v-iNFqGf8_0ZJ21GIiV-J1BXEL_kL3ThbKoVl0-UCeTrjzhHDc8d6RanGucpq6KKgorQCDY75M5RC5DcaZDsH2U_y3SMB_6_iMlUaDQQxDXCUl-QvJTBR8oxKQ5j9h2tjoEOafAqdcX_bVJc61uCFWlkIZDanilRuG7-FTy1I5pRg84SIrZICwqWLjHClGU-nWgFOko4VrDikeEOeWjFO8rM-9hppemJoAQmu5N9z2xLv2GTlZ1dtoBQkjXjlJ1N65MRwY2jetvFCp_jUtMyhmOxJsRQw_QNdTebrVUl7tel_P5JsZC2VcGX15N2te_NAJHdnznmOhaASdmDHdaQdagMaIg25a167JJ8mWyPT8DIGVvHSEUVvAEufnU3sjlFQDEVKsuUdQkDblEhr0cuYHQBhGhu81ioNV6NFbqeRfxlm6AkiItsTtPYzpwhyMisj2B3lUBHlskW0vz0dTpze-6Ku3zA6NCkMdS1Bz46Tj_bZBMY7REFHQ9OC1LKZBmVSFSAXNGdFDbxkOzbmVZTCgMq1WCdXGB0dMtQoBX0WtO9InpPlbeohjfoSy-uOd25Zoq30PaR17q6OogcEw1psnGA7USPVvO-rL2HfcNtrFLO7n99EHJcwhfFBTd5uc3tAW8c6f2PKFmCVYTli7YGNq9dzeJ16e4bT1HdUYi9Won-hYO5uKBruUPhUtqfk=w590-h786-no?authuser=0

There might be something wrong with the photo attachment!