An F-35 Just Shot Itself

This poor jet, so incredibly misunderstood and depressed, literally just shot itself.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjp7nq/one-of-americas-dollar1358-million-fighter-jets-shot-itself

I think the myth of the F-35 could still be sold to the American public.

May I suggest guys in white shirts and skinny black ties going door to door on bicycles?

• Like 2

NOT a defense of the F35 

(before the minnows roil the waters again)

bolding mine

,,, PGU-32/U Semi-Armor Piercing High Explosive Incendiary-Tracer (SAPHEI-T)

25mm round exploded after leaving the fighter's cannon ,,,

a defective fuse in the round itself.

• Like 1

With weapons like this, who needs enemies?

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

Why do you hate America?

??? Certainly not. I thought my comment was just common sense. Incidentally, my country’s also involved in the F35 mess, the idea of risking one of these precious planes in a MANPAD  environment ...

11 minutes ago, Xlot said:

??? Certainly not. I thought my comment was just common sense. Incidentally, my country’s also involved in the F35 mess, the idea of risking one of these precious planes in a MANPAD  environment ...

Why do you hate America is a standard non sequitur joke.

4 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Firing a mini-cannon from the bed of a Ridgeline would probably produce the same result.

In the Reagan era someone actually did stick a Gatling gun from an A-10 in a pickup truck. On their way to do a show-and-tell to try to sell these things, it shot off a round in a gas station in Virginia and caught the place on fire. The truck driver hauled ass out of there and it got blamed on "terrorists" :rolleyes: :lol:

AIM 54 Phoenix had the potential to take out the firing aircraft when fired in a long range mode. Flight path of the missile in the extreme range mode was to go out in front of the firing aircraft and then climb to high altitude, cruise there and then descend to the intercept point. If the Firing aircraft continued to the “merge” at hig speed, it could arrive before the missile did. Don’t believe it ever actually happens, but the physics would allow it to happen. 

Similarly, the advent of high off bore site millions meant locking the seeker of the missile onto the target before launch and that often meant a very significant turn of the missile immediately after leaving the rail. Strange to fire the missile and then have it cut right in front of you as it accelerated away. 

• Like 1

I have to say that I'm incredibly upset at the way you folks have turned this into such a joke.  For that plane to be so unhappy that it actually tried to take itself out.... and none of seem to have an ounce of sympathy.  It's just despicable.

It's repeatedly tried to kill its pilot as well.  This is a serious problem.  We need to get some councilors for these things.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36970/all-the-ways-the-f-35-tried-to-kill-its-pilot-prior-to-eglin-afb-crash

14 minutes ago, Hard On The Wind said:

Why can't he come back? I thought he just got laughed out of here.

I can't say for sure, he was flicked so many times I think they finally got tired of it and finally fingerprinted him. 

5 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

In the Reagan era someone actually did stick a Gatling gun from an A-10 in a pickup truck. On their way to do a show-and-tell to try to sell these things, it shot off a round in a gas station in Virginia and caught the place on fire. The truck driver hauled ass out of there and it got blamed on "terrorists" :rolleyes: :lol:

Given the stories I've heard/read about the recoil, it was be awesome to see that puppy going flat out when they start firing the cannon.  Probably stop it faster than the brakes would.

2 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Given the stories I've heard/read about the recoil, it was be awesome to see that puppy going flat out when they start firing the cannon.  Probably stop it faster than the brakes would.

It only works with the French model, where it only fires out the back.

13 hours ago, Grrr... said:

I have to say that I'm incredibly upset at the way you folks have turned this into such a joke.  For that plane to be so unhappy that it actually tried to take itself out.... and none of seem to have an ounce of sympathy.  It's just despicable.

It's repeatedly tried to kill its pilot as well.  This is a serious problem.  We need to get some councilors for these things.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/36970/all-the-ways-the-f-35-tried-to-kill-its-pilot-prior-to-eglin-afb-crash

Artificial intelligence: plane started thinking and became a militant pacifist.

• Like 1