Jump to content

Christian Music & Photos at a Potential New Job?


Recommended Posts

What if you weren't into christian music, etc and went in to interview for a new job and they were playing christian music and had religious pictures on the walls?  (This is non-religious business)  Would that give you pause?  If so, why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jules said:

What if you weren't into christian music, etc and went in to interview for a new job and they were playing christian music and had religious pictures on the walls?  (This is non-religious business)  Would that give you pause?  If so, why?

Elevator music is bad enough, religious music would drive me crazy in ten seconds. And I would assume that they would want to run my life according to their beliefs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jules said:

What if you weren't into christian music, etc and went in to interview for a new job and they were playing christian music and had religious pictures on the walls?  (This is non-religious business)  Would that give you pause?  If so, why?

If I were an evangelical myself, I'd be pleased. If I were anyone else, I'd run away.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The SO, who is about one of the most tolerant people I know, interviewed for a job recently.  My response about the christian shit was pretty much the same as here.  No idea if that music is playing all the time or not.  Maybe they play rap, too. :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did business with several Christian groups.  They were slow to pay always tried to get me to donate my services for the good of the Lord.  No thanks.  They also wanted to pray about every decision.  Decisions like what color paper to print programs on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a realtor I was fired by a Christian couple who kept making  low ball offers and then would say if it were meant to be, God would get their offers accepted. They didn’t like when I said. “Maybe God put me together with you to tell you to make better offers”

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

One would think that in this day and age their website or online reviews as a place to work might provide a hint.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got business partners (other companies) that are both some of the best and some of the worst I've ever worked with, not much middle ground. 

The worst ones also wear their faith on their sleeves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a reasonably tolerant person and I'm also an atheist.  I would just save everybody a lot of trouble and never ever consider working in such a place.  I don't mind religious folks as long as they don't shove it in my face.  Most of the types that listen to Christian music are the shovey types in my experience.  When they shove, I tend to shove back.  Nicely at first and then I escalate if necessary.  Usually by the time I start drawing a pentagram and Satanic symbols in chalk on the floor around myself, they run away.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it’s a bit like Hobby Lobby. Folks are welcome to their religion and if that includes closing on Sunday’s, limits on what they carry in inventory, etc. that’s fine. When they start imposing their views on employees, I’m out. I’ll respect their views but expect them to respect others views as well. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Say Hallelujah! Bless them for the wonderful opportunity and  walk away. If they call for a second interview make sure to tell them God spoke to you and said you shouldn't take anything less than $XXXX a week. See how devout they really are.

I am an agnostic....can't stand atheists like Ed (how the fuk do you know you arrogant bastard!???). Can't stand overtly, over the top believers either. I hired a Born Again gent once, he was a great employee, but when he tried to engage me about whether I had accepted Jesus as my personal savior, I told him that I respect his beliefs and he shall accept mine as being private. He did and we got along fine. Very good employee. Not sure how it would have worked out were our roles reversed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Working in an office full of God botherers?

I don't think so.

If nothing else, that music would lobotomize you over time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The music may have been a subtle hint of the work environment you can expect without them having to explain it and be liable for a suit later on.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Elevator music is bad enough, religious music would drive me crazy in ten seconds. And I would assume that they would want to run my life according to their beliefs.

Very short drive in the best of circumstances.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To the OP..... No. Just walk away, and breathe a deep sigh of relief.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

If he gets a second interview wear the official colander.

Ramen.

May you be touched by His noodly appendages.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest that they start running their business in strict accord with the bible. 

Maximize profitability by owning slaves and selling their daughters into slavery. Avoid hiring homosexuals, masturbators, or people who wear clothing of two different materials, because the bible requires you to kill them. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Female employees having their period have to isolate for seven days, anybody eating animal fat or owls has to be killed, and you have to have a battlement around the edges of your roof to prevent anybody falling off. If two male employees are fighting, and one of their wives grabs the other guy by the balls, her hand has to be chopped off.

Besides the god-awful music and the rampant delusion and hypocrisy, there are many practical reasons why a christian business is not a good place to work.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Elevator music is bad enough, religious music would drive me crazy in ten seconds. And I would assume that they would want to run my life according to their beliefs.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would object to any music being played all day in the workplace. I do not want to hear music when I’m trying to concentrate on something. In the cafeteria....fine....throughout the business.....I’d find a different job if I could. Religious pictures or if they want to pray about the coffee......meh. As long as I don’t have to pretend to pray along with them I could care less. I’ve known some darn good folks of many different religions. I have no objections. Being a devout agnostic, I remain open to the notion. In almost 70 years no-one has been able to produce any evidence that I find compelling. Frankly I judge people by their actions, how they treat me, how they treat others. Whatever deity they believe in is fine with me. I would never disrespect their beliefs because they don’t comport with mine. I expect the same in return.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I would never disrespect their beliefs because they don’t comport with mine. I expect the same in return.

And that will not be happening at that "non-religious business" workplace. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Point Break said:

In almost 70 years no-one has been able to produce any evidence that I find compelling.

Because there isn't any.

That's why it's called faith - otherwise known as wishful thinking

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Happy said:

I would suggest that they start running their business in strict accord with the bible. 

Maximize profitability by owning slaves and selling their daughters into slavery. Avoid hiring homosexuals, masturbators, or people who wear clothing of two different materials, because the bible requires you to kill them. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who doesn't miss Bartlett?

............................

A bar buddy, sexton at his church, mid-fifties, mildly prepperish, is also a weapons aficionado. I enjoy talking boom boom but we've given up the political chat. His views are, shall we say, rigid. Logic is just a 5 letter word. So, the other day we got on to his biblical observations. He believes, and "literal" hardly describes his belief. I'll spare you examples. Then, the chat turned to aliens building pyramids, and along about the third beer I had that spark of thought ... yeah, that horrible, really bad spark: this is the kind of person who could shoot up a supermarket if he thought his god, or a surrogate, suggested it as appropriate. When this True Believer hears about Q, he'll be all in. 

The local cops would laugh me out of the building were I to red-flag him. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Because there isn't any.

That's why it's called faith - otherwise known as wishful thinking

It would be nice to think of some grandfatherly old dude who has a big plan for me such that when things go to shit I can say it’s all part of some larger plan and feel better. Unfortunately......... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A long time ago I was told that having a religion is the same as having a penis. It is fine to have one, but don’t wave it around in public and really don’t try and ram it down the throat of someone who who does not want it rammed down their throat. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, the religious bigotry is strong here.  I'm old enough to remember when the background music and pictures wouldn't likely be noticeable or even worthy of comment.  Celebrate diversity much?

Hail Eris!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jules said:

What if you weren't into christian music, etc and went in to interview for a new job and they were playing christian music and had religious pictures on the walls?  (This is non-religious business)  Would that give you pause?  If so, why?

How bad do you need the job? Last "Christian" place I worked for prayed for me and then when I saw the plane I was going to be flying I knew why :o

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, quod umbra said:

Say Hallelujah! Bless them for the wonderful opportunity and  walk away. If they call for a second interview make sure to tell them God spoke to you and said you shouldn't take anything less than $XXXX a week. See how devout they really are.

I am an agnostic....can't stand atheists like Ed (how the fuk do you know you arrogant bastard!???). Can't stand overtly, over the top believers either. I hired a Born Again gent once, he was a great employee, but when he tried to engage me about whether I had accepted Jesus as my personal savior, I told him that I respect his beliefs and he shall accept mine as being private. He did and we got along fine. Very good employee. Not sure how it would have worked out were our roles reversed.

I think you are being a bit hard on atheists vs agnostics.  Your definition of both terms will be different to another person's views. 

I've seen no evidence that our universe has evolved by some sort of guiding supreme being.

But if I was given such evidence,  I would accept it was the case. 

Here in the USA Bible belt,  agnostic is mostly used as 'there is a god but I don't know which religion is correct".  

I tell people who want to know my religion that I am atheist.

If they insist on pushing a discussion,  I then go into full anti-theist atheist.

How do you know your religion is right and the other church is wrong?  Why should your religion get to impose your religions' rules on all of society?

At that point it is up to them whether they want to have an ongoing discussion.   I normally finish up with 'i respect your right to believe whatever you want to believe,  but I cannot respect your choice of beliefs if they negatively impact on my life"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedTuna said:

Wow, the religious bigotry is strong here.  I'm old enough to remember when the background music and pictures wouldn't likely be noticeable or even worthy of comment.  Celebrate diversity much?

Hail Eris!

 

You don't live in a jaysus state do you?

Religious diversity in Oklahoma,  Texas, Arkansas etc?  For Christ's sake,  they all wish their own brand of religion was homogenous, and by god they would legislature belief if they could (and they never stop trying)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have agnostics rejected logic, science and faith? Spineless fence-sitters afraid to take a position? In parts of the world atheists are often killed. Better to keep it under your hat. Simply lie about it. Religious people are absolutely comfortable with lies. When pressed about not attending mass, or whatever, say you were excommunicated or something.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

Have agnostics rejected logic, science and faith? Spineless fence-sitters afraid to take a position? In parts of the world atheists are often killed. Better to keep it under your hat. Simply lie about it. Religious people are absolutely comfortable with lies. When pressed about not attending mass, or whatever, say you were excommunicated or something.

 

I am an agnostic.  I don't disbelieve that there may be a higher god-like power; I have just not seen any evidence of it.  How does that make me "spineless"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If one takes a job there one probably should be prepared to self-censor political, cultural, social views to avoid "cultural mismatch." Depends how desperate you are for a paycheck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I got 21 seconds.

If you let it go to 32 or so, the screeching starts... A cat will make the same sound if you step on it right. Guess there wasn't anybody that could actually sing that was willing to do the gig...

 

On a related note, the wisdom of Mark Knopfler applies to different religions....

"Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedTuna said:

Wow, the religious bigotry is strong here.  I'm old enough to remember when the background music and pictures wouldn't likely be noticeable or even worthy of comment.  Celebrate diversity much?

Hail Eris!

You didn't get out much even before the pandemic, amirite?

So you go into a job interview with blinders and ear protection, eh?  Bullshit. 

"The medium is the message."

I think the best thing about modern believers is they wear that cross right up front so we know who the dangerous folks are. Some look quite innocent ... lambs really ... only with horns and guns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedTuna said:

Wow, the religious bigotry is strong here.

Is that what you call realism?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gptyk said:

If you let it go to 32 or so, the screeching starts... A cat will make the same sound if you step on it right. Guess there wasn't anybody that could actually sing that was willing to do the gig...

 

On a related note, the wisdom of Mark Knopfler applies to different religions....

"Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong"

Industrial disease,  one of my all time favorites.  Who would put up with life misspent without the promise of an eternal, place of unending happiness to make up for the shitty real life.

Of course heaven is an oxymoron,  because you can't have pleasure without pain. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

I think you are being a bit hard on atheists vs agnostics.  Your definition of both terms will be different to another person's views.

It's not a matter of opinion - there are actual definitions of both words.

atheist

noun
 
/ˈeɪθiɪst/
 
a person who does not believe that God or gods exist
 

agnostic

 noun

 

/æɡˈnɑstɪk/
 
a person who believes that it is not possible to know whether God exists or not
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It's not a matter of opinion - there are actual definitions of both words.

atheist

noun
 
/ˈeɪθiɪst/
 
a person who does not believe that God or gods exist
 

agnostic

 noun

 

/æɡˈnɑstɪk/
 
a person who believes that it is not possible to know whether God exists or not

If only people would agree those were the accepted meanings.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

If only people would agree those were the accepted meanings.  

Only illiterates don't - those are the words of the OED - the word of God in other words.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

If only people would agree those were the accepted meanings.  

 

Those definitions are exactly my understanding...........

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Happy said:

Female employees having their period have to isolate for seven days, anybody eating animal fat or owls has to be killed, and you have to have a battlement around the edges of your roof to prevent anybody falling off. If two male employees are fighting, and one of their wives grabs the other guy by the balls, her hand has to be chopped off.

Besides the god-awful music and the rampant delusion and hypocrisy, there are many practical reasons why a christian business is not a good place to work.....

Correct

One of the biggest differences between Islam and Christianity is that the most devout Christians think it's perfectly OK to rob & cheat non-Christians (which many of them define as "anybody who disagrees with ME even slightly about ANY aspect of faith") whereas the devout Muslim is directed by Allah to treat all as fairly and generously as possible.

 

18 hours ago, quod umbra said:

Say Hallelujah! Bless them for the wonderful opportunity and  walk away. If they call for a second interview make sure to tell them God spoke to you and said you shouldn't take anything less than $XXXX a week. See how devout they really are.

....   ...

 :lol:  yes, except the promise that they'll pay you $XXXX a week may well result in their agreeing, then handing you half of $XXXX a week and saying JEEEE-zuss will provide the rest, or some holy tokens, or some shit like that.

I grew up in the Bible belt. As soon as somebody starts telling me how tight they are with God/Jeeebus/whatever, I put a hand on my wallet and start backing away.

I should also add that I have deep respect for sincere faith (as long as it's not used as an excuse to beat up others) and I enjoy gospel and other forms of religious music. Bach, for example.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are two Christian popular music stations on my FM dial, almost without exception, I can tell what station it is on within about ten seconds of the music. Christian pop music has a certain "sound" to it ... it's usually produced with a good level of expertise, the mixing, effects and mastering are all good. The vocals inevitably sound like something that was popular about five years ago on the regular pop stations, and the lyrics tend to use words like "him" and "hope" and "love" and such. Sometimes the music noodles into something that sounds like "rock" but with no desire to break out of the fatih.

It's the kind of thing that makes a fan of the genre want to stand in front of a loudspeaker, with palms facing upward, absorbing the sounds that give them hope and happiness.

But it's bloody intolerable to me. It makes a mockery of every note of every actual rock, punk, metal, hardcore song that got me through the 1970s and 1980s. If I had to work in an office with that stuff playing, I would find a way to keep headphones on and pump some Slayer or Metallica or Two Man Advantage into my earholes to counteract the corrosive power of Christian pop.

 

Bassist Unaware Rock Band Christian

ORLANDO, FL—Brad Rolen, the new bassist for Pillar Of Salt, remains oblivious to the fact that he is in a Christian rock band, sources reported Tuesday.
 

"Pillar's great," said Rolen, 22, who is unaware of his bandmates' devotion to Christ, despite playing on such songs as "Wade In The Water," "Eternal Life," and "Kiss Of The Betrayer." "We rock really heavy and hard, but we've got a positivity that you don't see in too many bands these days. I've only been with these guys for three months, but I feel like it's the perfect fit for me."

Continued ...

https://local.theonion.com/bassist-unaware-rock-band-christian-1819566943

image.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

I am an agnostic.  I don't disbelieve that there may be a higher god-like power; I have just not seen any evidence of it.  How does that make me "spineless"?

Because I believe it is spineless until I see any evidence to the contrary? Does that work fo you? A rational person will look around...use all their senses...and easily determine that there are no gods. Have you taken a position on the power of crystals, astrology, Gaia, etc, etc? One can make up any fable, any whimsical dream, then accept that it might be true. Seems weak to me when I consider that observation and a tiny amount of clear thinking yields a much better answer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

If only people would agree those were the accepted meanings.  

I had a conversation with my preteen daughter (who is now 49) while reviewing her homework. At one point I said “you’re not using this word correctly, that’s not what it means”. Her preteen response was “well that’s what it means to me”. 
The fact someone attributes a incorrect meaning to a word and stubbornly hangs onto their “everybody gets a trophy” that’s what it means to me view erodes any credibility they might otherwise deserve.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the music playing throughout the workplace or just in this guys office? Was the whole workplace festooned with Christian symbolism, of just this guys office?

Did the people working there seem happy? Were you able to ask anyone about the work atmosphere? How's the pay?

Lots of bigotry on display right here, in this thread, by educated "tolerant"  people.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Who doesn't miss Bartlett?

............................

 

The West Wing at its best (it had its down moments, was television at its absolute best.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Was the music playing throughout the workplace or just in this guys office? Was the whole workplace festooned with Christian symbolism, of just this guys office?

Did the people working there seem happy? Were you able to ask anyone about the work atmosphere? How's the pay?

Lots of bigotry on display right here, in this thread, by educated "tolerant"  people.

Ok. Who is more bigoted,  the town and the 80 per cent of its population that demand to be able to have a Christmas nativity display in the county office,  and deny other religions from the same right,  but only have a small percentage of believers;

Or those that say there should be no religious icons or displays on government property?

Tolerance goes both ways.  The bigotry i see everyday comes from religious Christians who fear their favored religion status is under attack. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The West Wing at its best (it had its down moments, was television at its absolute best.

I agree. Second best, IMO is The Wire.

After those two, it’s seriously downhill.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Living a strict christian life in accord with the bible is pretty dangerous. 

If something you see makes you feel sexual lust, you must gouge out your eyes and throw them away. Same for committing "sin" with your hand.

The resulting mess can only be treated with prayer, so you will probably bleed to death.

Churches are not that welcoming either......if you have any kind of blemish or physical fault, you can't come in. If you are a woman, you are not allowed to speak. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

 

Lots of bigotry on display right here, in this thread, by educated "tolerant"  people.

Not sure why. Some folks have very strong negative reactions. I’ve chatted with a few and it’s not like they got beat up in catholic school or anything. The real antagonistic reactions really just puzzle me. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Happy said:

Living a strict christian life in accord with the bible is pretty dangerous. 

If something you see makes you feel sexual lust, you must gouge out your eyes and throw them away. Same for committing "sin" with your hand.

The resulting mess can only be treated with prayer, so you will probably bleed to death.

Churches are not that welcoming either......if you have any kind of blemish or physical fault, you can't come in. If you are a woman, you are not allowed to speak. 

 

 

Are these all strictures from the old or new testaments?

Sounds a bit like the old, which from my understanding predates Christianity. I could be wrong of course as I have read little, if any, of the bible for many decades.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gissie said:

Are these all strictures from the old or new testaments?

Sounds a bit like the old, which from my understanding predates Christianity. I could be wrong of course as I have read little, if any, of the bible for many decades.

 

As I understand it, the bible (all of it) is supposed to be the infallible word of god.

One of the mysteries of christianity is why god needs so much money. American televangelists collect billions of dollars every year from the deluded. Evidently it is god's wish that they should all have many mansions and private jets.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Happy said:

As I understand it, the bible (all of it) is supposed to be the infallible word of god.

One of the mysteries of christianity is why god needs so much money. American televangelists collect billions of dollars every year from the deluded. Evidently it is god's wish that they should all have many mansions and private jets.

 

 

There was a considerable change in the new testament when the son took over. It was for him that the idea of Christianity was named.

It would be like expecting Muslims to honour the edicts of the Bible because they believe in the same God. Instead they feel Muhammad replaced Christ as the prophet and so all prior teachings are to be abandoned.

As for the money thing, more a human failing than a religionous failing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, chinabald said:

When I was a realtor I was fired by a Christian couple who kept making  low ball offers and then would say if it were meant to be, God would get their offers accepted. They didn’t like when I said. “Maybe God put me together with you to tell you to make better offers”

I take my Christian faith quite seriously...and I loved your post. There's a whole lot of Christians who give Christians bad names! :lol:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happy said:

As I understand it, the bible (all of it) is supposed to be the infallible word of god.

One of the mysteries of christianity is why god needs so much money. American televangelists collect billions of dollars every year from the deluded. Evidently it is god's wish that they should all have many mansions and private jets.

Ostensibly, the money is raised to "spread the word" which is expensive ... translation, it takes money to make money, and the faithful need to fund things like satellite uplinks, recording studios and television stations.

It's an odd connection, but the era of televangelism was made possible by the U.S. Air Force.

Back in the 1970s, Colorado Springs was a sleeply Air Force town, it had two Air Force bases nearby, Scriever and Patterson, and the Air Force Academy had just moved down from Lowry AFB in Denver, to their permanent home in the Springs. And then there was the North American Air Defense Command buried under Cheyenne Mountain outside of the city limits. Air Force families went to church. These happy little churches were home to a shit-ton of U.S. Air Force trained communications experts.

The church wants a newsletter? Hell, let's give our church a global shortwave station. Our church wants a new bulletin board? Hell, let's build a little satellite uplink our of surplus parts. Before anyone noticed, Colorado Springs had these little churches with a global outreach. And suddenly, the innocent intentions of the A.F. communications experts was subverted to "hello friends, put your hands on the speakers and feel the words of the almighty and make a check out for as much as you can afford and send it to Church of the Almighty Satellite Link, Colorado Springs, CO.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

"The medium is the message."

I learned that in Mass Media school - a powerful concept that too many ignore or won't hear (see).

 

9 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I think the best thing about modern believers is they wear that cross right up front so we know who the dangerous folks are.

Ditto for red hats and, to some extent, grey-scale US flags with one blue stripe across at the middle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, atoyot said:

I learned that in Mass Media school - a powerful concept that too many ignore or won't hear (see).

 

Ditto for red hats and, to some extent, grey-scale US flags with one blue stripe across at the middle.

cult colors

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, On The Hard said:

............. There's a whole lot of Christians who give Christians bad names! :lol:

 

There are also many Christians who dedicate their lives to helping the poor, the sick, the disenfranchised, the lost. Many who just do their best to be kind and honest in their daily interactions with their fellow humans. 

There are many Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, etc etc who do exactly the same.

"It is not necessary to be religious, just be kind." -----the Dalai Lama.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, atoyot said:
13 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

"The medium is the message."

I learned that in Mass Media school - a powerful concept that too many ignore or won't hear (see).

Marshall McLuhan?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Those definitions are exactly my understanding...........

Me too. A sufficiently powerful God creature can absolutely create a universe that does not have clues leading back to the creator of said universe. The inhabitants would literally not have the ability to know if the God exists or not. Thus an agnostic ;) To expand on that, if the God set up the universe with rules that were unchanging, like E=MC^2, speed of light, etc. etc. and then didn't keep poking around and changing things, it literally wouldn't even matter if He existed or not. Imagine having all that power and being utterly obsessed with sexual activity between one species in your vast creation and being eternally pissed they won't follow your rules :rolleyes:

The term has been somewhat corrupted to mean "don't care", as in "I am an agnostic when it comes to SQL Server or Oracle, I am happy to set up either one for you" when literally it would mean you have no idea if databases exist and no way to find out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Black Sox said:

I agree. Second best, IMO is The Wire.

After those two, it’s seriously downhill.

Good taste, sir!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Happy said:

As I understand it, the bible (all of it) is supposed to be the infallible word of god.

One of the mysteries of christianity is why god needs so much money. American televangelists collect billions of dollars every year from the deluded. Evidently it is god's wish that they should all have many mansions and private jets.

 

 

You've heard the joke about ministers from different churches, comparing how they handle the collection, right?

Minister #1- "We pass the collection plate during our service, and then we don't count it, we just put it in a box. At the end of the month, we pay the bills out of the box and anything left over, we give it to God by distributing it to the poor and the orphans."

Minister #2- "We pass the collection plate during our service, too, and then afterwards we go in the church yard and draw a circle in the grass. We throw the money in the air, and everything that lands outside the circle, we spend on bills and the building fund. Everything that lands inside the circle belongs to God."

Minister #3- "Of course we pass the collection plate too, and afterwards we go out in the church yard and throw the money in the air, also. But then, we figure if God wants any of it, He just keeps it..."

 

13 hours ago, Gissie said:

There was a considerable change in the new testament when the son took over. It was for him that the idea of Christianity was named.

It would be like expecting Muslims to honour the edicts of the Bible because they believe in the same God. Instead they feel Muhammad replaced Christ as the prophet and so all prior teachings are to be abandoned.

As for the money thing, more a human failing than a religionous failing.

Not true. Islam honors Christ as a prophet, and the Old Testament/Torah as well. They just also believe that Muhammad's teachings supercede all that ancient stuff. Kind of like the way you don't use MS/DOS any more

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Marshall McLuhan?

Yep.

The certainty of views among religious folks is similar to the certainty folks have about Pres the former guy. The brightest guy I know who voted that way can give reasons why. None wash for what most of us think about democracy, fairness, and whatnot. Most Rs I know can't offer anything except "what they know in their hearts." 

Same with the God cult. It's just something they want to be true ... and so it is for them. The unexamined lives are lived day by day warmed by a fictional comforter. I think it's better explained by mass self-hypnosis. 

Is it better than real life? 

Apparently so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Because I believe it is spineless until I see any evidence to the contrary? Does that work fo you? A rational person will look around...use all their senses...and easily determine that there are no gods. Have you taken a position on the power of crystals, astrology, Gaia, etc, etc? One can make up any fable, any whimsical dream, then accept that it might be true. Seems weak to me when I consider that observation and a tiny amount of clear thinking yields a much better answer.

As you gaze out into the heavens, do you not see that as amazing? Is it not possible that it is a creation of something larger and greater than we have the ability to comprehend?
How about this. Do you see a correlation or resemblance between planets revolving around a star and electrons revolving around a nucleus? Is it possible that while we see the Sun as the center of our existence, is it not possible that we are just a very small part of a much large "being".
Not knocking you or your beliefs, but we have no idea, none, of that which is far greater than us and likely that which is far too small for us to see.
And even if that does not resonate with you, do you for one minute believe that humans are the greatest of beings, that no superior being can exist beyond human?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites