Outteridge leading, Bruni 2nd: Foiling week

Checco would probably be doing better if he didn't keep letting go of the tiller every time he tacked onto starboard :)

dai cazzo!

• Like 12
14 minutes ago, dalenz said:

Foiling week up here in the Bay of Islands and these guys leading.

image.thumb.png.3c6902459074e0876f07a369fdf8e750.png

Francesco in this video: https://www.facebook.com/foilbayofislands/videos/201402174687571

more info here: https://www.facebook.com/foilbayofislands/

heading down to the club now to see what's going on

Grande Francesco!!!

Nathan outside of the Cup this edition, and the next one (national rules) is a shame!

23 minutes ago, dalenz said:

Foiling week up here in the Bay of Islands and these guys leading.

image.thumb.png.3c6902459074e0876f07a369fdf8e750.png

Francesco in this video: https://www.facebook.com/foilbayofislands/videos/201402174687571

more info here: https://www.facebook.com/foilbayofislands/

heading down to the club now to see what's going on

And Wussells kid following on in 3rd.

If you consider the age at which Bruni started sailing the moths and the short time he needed to become one of the best in the world... you can understand the talent of this guy

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sfigone said:

Checco would probably be doing better if he didn't keep letting go of the tiller every time he tacked onto starboard :)

dai cazzo!

Nathen just calls out 'my rudder' everytime he gets close.

• Like 9
13 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Nathen just calls out 'my rudder' everytime he gets close.

That is too funny.

In fact I laughed so fucking hard, it might even be three funny.

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

That is too funny.

In fact I laughed so fucking hard, it might even be three funny.

Sei tremendo. anzi, quattromendo

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Sei tremendo. anzi, quattromendo

Aha! Your attempt to educate me has failed!

Gtrans has no idea what to do with the last word!

I win!

Just now, jaysper said:

Aha! Your attempt to educate me has failed!

Gtrans has no idea what to do with the last word!

I win!

tremendo, is terrible

tre = three

quattro = four

so quattromendo (not existent word) is more than tremendo

:D

• Like 1
Just now, jaysper said:

Indeed. I think he's only 13 or 14 too.

16, I read from the abobe standings chart.

Speaking about kids, the son of Max Sirena seems to be very good on the optimist, and he even won some regattas there in NZ

5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Speaking about kids, the son of Max Sirena seems to be very good on the optimist, and he even won some regattas there in NZ

Clearly the Kiwi influence :lol:

Just now, jaysper said:

Clearly the Kiwi influence :lol:

it's absolutely true. I envy what you do for kids, sailing-wise, in NZ

8 hours ago, strider470 said:

FB_IMG_1616922633148.thumb.jpg.eee1628fe31f3cbefb43a05ed6a38f58.jpg

Kinda pathetic that two America Cup level professionals feel they have to race and beat out a 16 year old.  

It is like LeBron James accepting his trophy for winning the local YMCA 1 on 1 championship.   Let them race if they want, but make them be exhibition and not qualify for the trophies!

The page also has pics of kids that won holding up a bottle of rum....  wtf.

21 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Kinda pathetic that two America Cup level professionals feel they have to race and beat out a 16 year old.  

It is like LeBron James accepting his trophy for winning the local YMCA 1 on 1 championship.   Let them race if they want, but make them be exhibition and not qualify for the trophies!

The page also has pics of kids that won holding up a bottle of rum....  wtf.

And I betcha that kid really wished they hadn't turned up too! LOL!

19 hours ago, strider470 said:

Coutts jr seems ready to follow his father path. Impressive.

Really impressive.

3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

They're not Gods! They're just people that sail. They shouldn't move in a plane above us. It's great to see that after all the glam of the AC, that a normal club run event is still relevant to them

This was the Moth nationals, for the best sailors who are in the country. It's not for the best sailors except for the really good ones! You want to hands out participation trophies too?

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Kiwing said:

I bet Checko and Nathan had long talks to all the young sailors and shared some tips.  So not gods at all.

I'm guessing Alchemist would have been grumpy if that HADN'T raced too.

• Like 1
On 3/28/2021 at 6:17 AM, strider470 said:

Grande Francesco!!!

Nathan outside of the Cup this edition, and the next one (national rules) is a shame!

He lives in Auckland so he does qualify for at least one current team...

He's probably not a bad backup helmsman.

On the flip side he's a top notch commentator so there is always a silver lining.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I'm guessing Alchemist would have been grumpy if that HADN'T raced too.

He seems to have gotten the concept of alchemy wrong. He likes to turn gold into lead.

Maybe he has a spare kingpost to fill...

13 minutes ago, Gissie said:

He seems to have gotten the concept of alchemy wrong. He likes to turn gold into lead.

Maybe he has a spare kingpost to fill...

Maybe needs to be called Midarse? Gold to shit?

1 hour ago, Kiwing said:

I bet Checko and Nathan had long talks to all the young sailors and shared some tips.  So not gods at all.

RC and his son came over to my little club in Sydney a couple of years ago for the Bic nationals.   RC has lots of time to share with the juniors, gave some talks and it was a fabulous event.  I can't recall how Mattias went, I assume well, but win or lose it was fabulous to have that connection from elite sailing all the way down to junior club racing. 

3 hours ago, strider470 said:

I would be honored to race against such champions, to be honest. And baby Coutts is probably the new Burling.

So is baby Coutts going to have his dad run an AC challenger team so he can helm in a few years? Bet you he does. 

40 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Jesus, Nathan only just scraped in first with that score sheet

Nathan is hard to beat on the moth... I bet francesco struggled with the tacks in the bieker though

7 minutes ago, 17mika said:

Nathan is hard to beat on the moth... I bet francesco struggled with the tacks in the bieker though

why?

2 hours ago, strider470 said:

why?

Why is Nathan hard to beat in a Moth? Because he's probably the best Moth sailor in the world. ;)

Why might Checco have struggled tacking his Bieker? Because that design is very hard to foil tack compared with Nathan's Mach2 and I doubt he has had enough time in the boat to get it perfect.

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

So is baby Coutts going to have his dad run an AC challenger team so he can helm in a few years? Bet you he does. 

Hopefully not, you can end up with Barker like performance that way, a very, very, very, very good sailor, but not great.

5 hours ago, sfigone said:

They're not Gods! They're just people that sail. They shouldn't move in a plane above us. It's great to see that after all the glam of the AC, that a normal club run event is still relevant to them

This was the Moth nationals, for the best sailors who are in the country. It's not for the best sailors except for the really good ones! You want to hands out participation trophies too?

And neither one of them is a NZ national.

Name another sport where Professionals compete directly with amateurs and teenagers.  Sure, let them sail in the event, but keep them out of the running for medals or awards.  More as an exhibition where the kids can be on the course with them, but let the kids win the trophies, hats, sweatshirts, etc...

I did not claim they live in a plane above us as gods, but if they can't beat some kids then they should not be getting paid to sail a $100 million yacht!

2 hours ago, SimonN said:

Why is Nathan hard to beat in a Moth? Because he's probably the best Moth sailor in the world

i think Tom Slingsby might have something to say about that.

2 hours ago, SimonN said:

Why is Nathan hard to beat in a Moth? Because he's probably the best Moth sailor in the world. ;)

Why might Checco have struggled tacking his Bieker? Because that design is very hard to foil tack compared with Nathan's Mach2 and I doubt he has had enough time in the boat to get it perfect.

Yep what simon said.

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

He could take over TNZ after Dalts drives it into the wall... :ph34r:

3 hours ago, SimonN said:

I don't know which moth Checco usually sail.

Nathan is very strong indeed!

3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I'd rather they fold.

O ly made the comment to give some of the lurking fan boys a blood pressure spike. :lol:

Doubt Coutts would come back for any amount anyway. Moved on and recovered from the chalice grip.

1 minute ago, trt131 said:

I dont think so, but Slingsby's win was very emphatic with daylight a long second

Nathan and Tom are trying to work out the winner in the traditional way...

Rock, Scissors, Paper

... loser buys the next round

Still impressed by what Checco could achieve in few years at his age in this class, and using it mostly for training purpose!

4 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Sure, let them sail in the event, but keep them out of the running for medals or awards.  More as an exhibition where the kids can be on the course with them, but let the kids win the trophies, hats, sweatshirts, etc...

Moths are an adult class. It's not like they crashed an Opti regatta. Are you saying that professional sailors like Nathan, Checco, Tom Slingsby etc cannot sail in the Moth class?

Mattias has sailed excellently to get on the podium as a 16yo in a class that attracts the best sailors in the world. I think we should celebrate that rather than saying he should be awarded first place because the other two were too good.

Moths are an adult class. It's not like they crashed an Opti regatta. Are you saying that professional sailors like Nathan, Checco, Tom Slingsby etc cannot sail in the Moth class?

Mattias has sailed excellently to get on the podium as a 16yo in a class that attracts the best sailors in the world. I think we should celebrate that rather than saying he should be awarded first place because the other two were too good.

But celebrating the accomplishments of sailors like Mattias is just my point.  The only reason that Mattias got a jacket was because Burling, Splithill, etc didn't sail the race.  You have another kid, Jake Pye that took 5th.  He would have finished 3rd if the two AC pros would have been exhibition.  Let the kid win the hat.  You can let the pros sail alongside the others, just do not have their results count in the race.

10 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Name another sport where Professionals compete directly with amateurs and teenagers.  Sure, let them sail in the event, but keep them out of the running for medals or awards.  More as an exhibition where the kids can be on the course with them, but let the kids win the trophies, hats, sweatshirts, etc...

I did not claim they live in a plane above us as gods, but if they can't beat some kids then they should not be getting paid to sail a $100 million yacht!

Its great to see them out having fun and competing with the rest of us.

They were not getting paid to be there (that would be different). Even a pro sailor is allowed to go sail boat racing for fun. Having them on the podium made Coutts podium all the more sweet.

I was Viper racing a couple of years ago in Bermuda and some AC guys jumped into a boat for some weekend event. We certainly wanted them to be scored...it was fun to go up against them.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Name another sport where Professionals compete directly with amateurs and teenagers. 

Triathlon. In Nice 70.3 half ironman I had former gold medallist and tour de france racer Alexander Vinokurov in my age group, friend had to race vuelta winner and former tdf Lauren Jalabert. There is a pro field but definition isn't so clear and many races with no pro field u show up against whoever shows up... So I've also raced 2x Kona Ironman olympian legend Chris Mccormack head to head and various other pros when no pro field starts. Same as BOI yachting.  And yeah, got owned. Best days of my racing career.  

Maybe not now but back a few years ago nz club rugby had all blacks appearing sometimes vs complete amateurs. 

Many regattas in NZ u have ring ins and pros showing up, remember racing against Roy and Chris Dickson in the Stewart 34s, bro raced against many pros in y88. Its just how it is. Good Times.  

Was down at the club Sunday morning watching them getting ready and launching. Place was packed with young and old, kids, parents etc.

Every one was mingling and chatting, helping each other and offering "advice"

It will be long remembered by the up and coming sailors.

Came home and sat on deck watching the racing on the bay in front of us.

55 minutes ago, dalenz said:

Was down at the club Sunday morning watching them getting ready and launching. Place was packed with young and old, kids, parents etc.

Every one was mingling and chatting, helping each other and offering "advice"

It will be long remembered by the up and coming sailors.

Came home and sat on deck watching the racing on the bay in front of us.

All that is great. Let them sail, let them mingle, but give the fricking t-shirts, hats and place recognition to the other sailors.

5 hours ago, Steveromagnino said:

Triathlon. In Nice 70.3 half ironman I had former gold medallist and tour de france racer Alexander Vinokurov in my age group, friend had to race vuelta winner and former tdf Lauren Jalabert. There is a pro field but definition isn't so clear and many races with no pro field u show up against whoever shows up... So I've also raced 2x Kona Ironman olympian legend Chris Mccormack head to head and various other pros when no pro field starts. Same as BOI yachting.  And yeah, got owned. Best days of my racing career.  

Maybe not now but back a few years ago nz club rugby had all blacks appearing sometimes vs complete amateurs. 

Many regattas in NZ u have ring ins and pros showing up, remember racing against Roy and Chris Dickson in the Stewart 34s, bro raced against many pros in y88. Its just how it is. Good Times.  

My son has run the Oceanside Ironman 70.3 several times.  Sure, I have a pictures of him swimming in the water with the professionals like Lionel Sanders and Jan Frodeno (he going out while they are coming in).  That is a huge race with thousands of participants and you are not competing with the pros for one of the first three places and a regatta hat!

I guess we can disagree, but I just do not think it is right for a professional to drop in and take a hat away from some kid.  Like I said, let them race, but do not have them eligible to place in the race.

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

All that is great. Let them sail, let them mingle, but give the fricking t-shirts, hats and place recognition to the other sailors.

Did the pros take home the prizes?

Perhaps they distributed the t-shirts, hats etc to other competitors after the presentation

Seems there were twice as many Wazps at the 2020 NZ nationals as Moths at the 2021 nationals. Amac must be happy. :-)

https://b43c797f-28ae-4e1d-9f73-0ac627ee6fa1.filesusr.com/ugd/39ed99_dd09d5dcfb1a417eaac7d302a2e080e9.pdf

If the club was concerned about the Moth juniors missing out, it could have awarded junior prizes too.

11 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

But celebrating the accomplishments of sailors like Mattias is just my point.  The only reason that Mattias got a jacket was because Burling, Splithill, etc didn't sail the race.  You have another kid, Jake Pye that took 5th.  He would have finished 3rd if the two AC pros would have been exhibition.  Let the kid win the hat.  You can let the pros sail alongside the others, just do not have their results count in the race.

But who wants to stand at the top of the podium when you know 2 guys finished in front of you?

When you enter a Moth championship, be it National or World, you know you're going to come up against some of the best there is.

Nobody at a Moth championship wants a participation medal.

2 hours ago, Chapter Four said:

But who wants to stand at the top of the podium when you know 2 guys finished in front of you?

When you enter a Moth championship, be it National or World, you know you're going to come up against some of the best there is.

This is so true.

One of the things I rate about the kids I look after catamaran racing in AUS (east coast) is that almost every regatta they attend has some combination of ex or current world champs at it. So on any given weekend they could be racing against Bundy or Forbes Carolijn B occasionally Jason W, and many others who are also ranked high in the world.

These guys and girls are awesome to have in the boat park. They hang around and talk to the kids, so down to earth. So much knowledge.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chapter Four said:

I was there all weekend too, pretty sure the younger ones were just stoked to race against the legends.

10 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Most of the NZ Sailing Team competed too, do you want them to stand aside too because they are the best?

Pretty rare to go to a regatta round here without some World Champ in the line up, pretty cool when you take a race off them too. Mattias beat Nathan and Franco during the event, sure he won't forget that.

There are enough clubs around that scheme to make sure the right people get the dish, I don't really want to be a part of a club the gets into that sort of thing.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

I disagree completely NO and FB are completely entitled to enter a moth event and it should be encouraged. I bet every moth sailor learnt heaps everyone wants to sail against the best talent they can. Dennis Connor used to sail Ross 780s while in NZ it was epic for the class and everyone thought it was awesome having him there. He is on the cup its good for the sailors and the class.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

I disagree completely NO and FB are completely entitled to enter a moth event and it should be encouraged. I bet every moth sailor learnt heaps everyone wants to sail against the best talent they can. Dennis Connor used to sail Ross 780s while in NZ it was epic for the class and everyone thought it was awesome having him there. He is on the cup its good for the sailors and the class.

Why so many people call him Connor instead of Conner?

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Agree

I have entered plenty of events with current WC and previous world record holders in the fleet, I didn't want a participation medal at the end of it and in some years I won, they didn't ask for the amateur guys to be awarded separately to spare their blushes.

you enter an event with a mixed fleet and that what you get 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

I completely agree. I've been part organiser of many regatta's and the younger sailors love being around the big names who are only there because they're passionate about the sport not because they want to beat a few kids. These guys are so generous with their time and impart so much knowledge it's invaluable. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Agree

I have entered plenty of events with current WC and previous world record holders in the fleet, I didn't want a participation medal at the end of it and in some years I won, they didn't ask for the amateur guys to be awarded separately to spare their blushes.

you enter an event with a mixed fleet and that what you get 

This ^

I previously sailed Hobie 16s and in Aus, that means there's a fair chance you're going to come across a world champ or two in your travels.

In a one race, interclub challenge, we had 1 world champ and 2 national champs in the fleet of 30 - I came 2nd that day to the current WC, and I will brag about it until the day I die :D

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, The_Alchemist said:

My son has run the Oceanside Ironman 70.3 several times.  Sure, I have a pictures of him swimming in the water with the professionals like Lionel Sanders and Jan Frodeno (he going out while they are coming in).  That is a huge race with thousands of participants and you are not competing with the pros for one of the first three places and a regatta hat!

I guess we can disagree, but I just do not think it is right for a professional to drop in and take a hat away from some kid.  Like I said, let them race, but do not have them eligible to place in the race.

It wasnt a kids regatta. It was Nationals. Open to all comers. Thats the point.

Im personally happy to celebrate the 16 yo Coutts that got third. What a remarkable achievement.

• Like 2

For the info of the critics, the Moth class is open to everyone and the rock star professinals sail Moths because they like the boat and the competition, not just amounst the professionals but from a few talented amateurs also. Being a 70 year old has been, I enjoy racing reagattas where these people compete, I can mix with them at the club and on the start line but not long after. I've chatted with most of them many times and they are always happy to pass on the latest ideas and gear. They make the class stronger by their presence.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

image.png.4044b78efc97453c283fc77e32f240f5.png

did the pros take the prizes home with them?

yes they have the prizes for the photo but what happened after?

23 hours ago, JJD said:

Im personally happy to celebrate the 16 yo Coutts that got third. What a remarkable achievement.

And the 16 year old Jake Pye in 5th. There time will come and it won't be long now!

14 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

And the 16 year old Jake Pye in 5th. There time will come and it won't be long now!

Just imagine, if the pros didn't place and just sailed for fun, Jake would have took 3rd and got a prize...

As in every country, there are youth-only championships and open contests. In the latter, you expect (and you want) to find the very best sailors in that class. And competing with pro or Olympic athletes in relatively similar boats, or even one design, is an opportunity, not a disadvantage. I don't think the boys lack a t-shirt or a hat. But one day, watching the pictures, they will say, hey, I was very close to Nathan Outteridge and Francesco Bruni, I could even beat them in some races, and I was sixteen!

• Like 2

As president of the Italian Moth class, all I can say is that Alchemist you are really alone on that one.

Everyone in the moth class, from world class president Luca to all of us, we welcome all pros in the class, and sometimes adapt event schedules to fit their needs, because really all pros which come to race with us fully embrace the amatour and pioneering spirit that the class promotes. The fun thing about having checco, nathan, Goodie, etc is that racing with us for them is "a holiday", so in all events the chilled out atmosphere is fully embraced by them. and we love to have a beer with them and learn shitloads of stuff every time we talk with them and sail with them. So we're very happy to see them winning races and taking prices, because it helps out class grow 

Small story: I am not 16 years old, but I fully remember in the 2017 worlds, when Outerridge messed-up a start in day 1 and crashed off the foils. I rolled him to leeward 10 seconds before the start so for like 20 seconds I was in front of Outerridge! :D then 20 seconds later he rolled me to windward going 2 knots faster and went on winning the race (I was like 25th), but that's another story :D. I have a photo of me on time on the line and Outerridge is nowhere to be seen :D

EDIT: pretty curios about the line-up we will have in the 2021 Garda worlds. word is that, covid allowing, it could be pretty interesting ;)

• Like 6