How do I get MS Office for Mac?

Had it on my old MacBook Air. Replaced it apparently MS decided I needed to but Office 375. No. I want my old Office back. I have the product key, but all I can find is the update that tells me to pound sand because I don’t have anything to update. 

I got a used MacBook just like my old one and a blank 1Tb solid state drive and used apple’s transfer feature. 

what’s up?

You don't want it. Find another option.

This is like asking how you get your old girl friend who left you for another girl, then caught Herpes from a one night stand with your ex best friend, back again, but w/o the herpes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Borax Johnson said:

Had it on my old MacBook Air. Replaced it apparently MS decided I needed to but Office 375. No. I want my old Office back. I have the product key, but all I can find is the update that tells me to pound sand because I don’t have anything to update. 

I got a used MacBook just like my old one and a blank 1Tb solid state drive and used apple’s transfer feature. 

what’s up?

That may be because Microsoft considers software to be bought for one computer. If you have the original installation media you can theoretically load it on to a newer computer - as long as it's only on one at a time - by using phone authorization. At least that's how it worked last time I did it.

Do you have the blocked software sitting on the new drive but not functioning?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/end-of-support-for-office-2016-for-mac-e944a907-bbc8-4be5-918d-a514068d0056

Unless you can find a pirate download of the original install that matches your product code, or the original install disks (borrow from someone? Not that I recommended you look there, but there is lots of this kind of thing on the torrent sites) you are toast.  

Just about anything you could do on Office you can do on Google docs then save in Office format.

The old MS Office used to be a drag & drop install which just needed the license code to become functional. The full license allowed for two installs on different machines as long as the Office apps were not simultaniously used (Typically on a desktop at home and a laptop for travel).

If you want a clean install on the new machine you can try just that.

Or you can hook the two machines up and use the "Migration Assistant" you can find in /Applications/Utilities.

If there are any issues because of system requirements such as 32/64 bit or the ancient Intel/PPC transition the system will warn you.

That said, I'd agree with @Rain Man to find an alternative unless you are a hardcore user of MS Office macros. LibreOffice works well, too, and is a full install on your machine without relying on the internet or Google to work.

I have dumped MS Orifice entirely.

Libre Office.  Even my wife is using it without complaint.

7 hours ago, Grog said:

The old MS Office used to be a drag & drop install which just needed the license code to become functional. The full license allowed for two installs on different machines as long as the Office apps were not simultaniously used (Typically on a desktop at home and a laptop for travel).

Or you can hook the two machines up and use the "Migration Assistant" you can find in /Applications/Utilities.

If there are any issues because of system requirements such as 32/64 bit or the ancient Intel/PPC transition the system will warn you.

That said, I'd agree with @Rain Man to find an alternative unless you are a hardcore user of MS Office macros. LibreOffice works well, too, and is a full install on your machine without relying on the internet or Google to work.

I did the Migration Assistant. I only installed it on my one Mac, but Microsoft "suggested" that I want to buy Office 365. I don't. I want a platform just like I had that doesn't need the interwebs to use - a lot of the places I want to use it don't have the interwebs. That makes the google doce/office 365 thing unworkable. I also tried openoffice. It sucks as bad as it did 10 years ago.

19 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

You don't want it. Find another option.

This is like asking how you get your old girl friend who left you for another girl, then caught Herpes from a one night stand with your ex best friend, back again, but w/o the herpes.

I got it and it's FUCKED UP !!!

Office 2013 is The LAST one you can Own

you can pay for a newer one But it Sucks as They Control it and have Removed Many thing They don't think you need

1 hour ago, Borax Johnson said:

I also tried openoffice. It sucks as bad as it did 10 years ago.

Libre Office does not suck as it has had more development.  It does not need the interweb to work.

But then it depends on your definition of suck.  If you want the same over-bloated stuff where you tear your hair out trying the work out why it refuses to format the way you told it to ... then Libre will not do that.  If you want to paste in one sentence from someone else's document that then totally confuses your style guide, it will not do that either.

I have been using Word for every version since Ver 1.0 on both Mac and Windows.  I have been using Windows since Ver 1.0 when it did nothing more than present you with a GUI with an icon to click on for each Application, which then launched a text based app only with less than half of the memory available.  So I believe that I have the experience to comment and compare.

The only edge MS Word has had is on the Outline function, but now other options are offering Heading management as well.  The best word processor experience I have had in the last few years is Google Docs.  Does not fit your need as it is online, but everything is where you expect it to be and it just works.

One great example of Word sucking is for hyperlinks.  Had a complex document with a table of contents and various links throughout.  Word would not retain the links in working order when exported as a PDF.  It required Adobe Professional.  Libre would do it native and provided options I had not seen before in the process.  I ended up doing it in Google Docs as I also wanted to share the final document as a link rather than sending stone-age attachments.

But I repeat, my wife switched to using Libre and has not once complained about it, I thought she would.  I thought she would ask for assistance like "how do I  ...", no, not once.

Fuck Microsoft.

EDIT: The best word processor I ever used was Borland Sprint, I still miss it.  Second best was MS Word on a Mac before it went to Windows.

12 hours ago, Grog said:

I have Office 2011 for OS X with the original install disc.

It won't run on the latest (?) version of Apple's OS X but is running fine on 10.13.4. As I don't use it much I don't really care.

FKT

7 hours ago, SailingNovice said:

With a virtual machine

Now we are having sex with that ex-gf @Mrleft8 mentioned with two condoms on using someone else's dick.  The point being, what's the point?

2 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Now we are having sex with that ex-gf @Mrleft8 mentioned with two condoms on

round here it's called "double wrapped".

On 3/28/2021 at 6:48 PM, Borax Johnson said:

I did the Migration Assistant. I only installed it on my one Mac, but Microsoft "suggested" that I want to buy Office 365. I don't. I want a platform just like I had that doesn't need the interwebs to use - a lot of the places I want to use it don't have the interwebs. That makes the google doce/office 365 thing unworkable. I also tried openoffice. It sucks as bad as it did 10 years ago.

Sorry that didn't work out.

As you describe it, the new machine is similar to your old one (including the OS), so older software and installers should work. Unless the software is so outdated that they have switched off the license verification servers ... Adobe did that some time ago when they ditched selling software in favor for a rental scheme, but they released disk images and working licence codes which would install and work just fine.

Anyway, what version of Office for Mac do you have?

It is an identical MacBook - mid 2013. I bought it surplus from my school district because it was cheaper than a new battery and charging controller. I upgraded to 1tb storage. 

It was either office 2013 or 2011 for Mac.

24 minutes ago, Borax Johnson said:

It is an identical MacBook - mid 2013. I bought it surplus from my school district because it was cheaper than a new battery and charging controller. I upgraded to 1tb storage. 

It was either office 2013 or 2011 for Mac.

my guess is 2013 should be fine if it works like the PC version

DO NOT GO ANY NEWER !!!

Late answer, but here is what I found:

Yours must have been the 2011 edition, technically there never was a 2013 for Mac.

If you don't have an install disc or disc image you might be out of luck, they are no longer available as official downloads.

Support for 2011 ended in 2017 and v 2013 got the axe in 2020.

Here is what the Microsoft Mothership has to say about this:

Office for Mac 2011 are no longer available for installation with a Microsoft 365 subscription

(which is kind of cute because it should not affect single user standalone licenses. Found nothing about that).

... while at the same time the offer a page with links to legacy versions:

Microsoft Mac Downloads

Your last chance might be to bluntly drag & drop the Office folder from your old Mac on an USB stick or the new drive and then drop it again into the applications folder on the new machine. If you are lucky, it'll self install in a basic version (you can add the fonts et al later).

You mentioned getting the Macs from your school district. Do you know anybody there in IT?

I must admit that I have ditched MS Office altogether some 8 or 10 years ago. I had licenses for commercial use but all that software was used for was reading client documents and occasionally converting them into usable raw data like text or CSV.

I don't know how deeply your workflow relies on MS Office but there sure are useful alternatives, some even for free while others do cost a (comparatively low) sum of money, as always, depending what you want to do with it.

I have been working on publishing my clients in print and digitally for over two decades and have spent some time to educate them on usable data formats. Not one single one of them comes from Office. It got a lot easier when I started to charge them extra to convert some hineous MS data type into something usable.

Actually, I think one (if not THE one) major accomplishment of MS in the past three decades was to maintain at least some compatibility with their own whacky file formats.

That said, I think they have announced standalone licenses again, as a lot of long time users weren't buying into the 365 BS and left.

Good luck!

Me likin’ freeOffice. Even the free versions of Excel and Word seem to be functioning well.  They do have a paid professional version for 60.

I’m morally sick of Microsoft and supervillain Bill Gates. 

Why do you want it? Is it to mirror work platform so you don’t have to convert back and forth or just because you’re used to it? When I left Microsoft products 20 years ago for Mac stuff the various “office” like programs Word versus Page, Excel versus Numbers, etc........the learning curve was not completely intuitive but easy enough to look up questions. After a year or so, I decided one is not so superior over the other....it’s just getting comfortable with the new platform which does not happen right away. For my uses........potato/potahto.........

I have been using MS office (Word & Excel) for forever, and it is installed on my school computer, which is what I use it for mostly. I really don't want to have to learn new interfaces. I also use it on my boat which frequently is out of internet range so I don't want something that relies on WiFi.

• Like 1

Where are you located? I have couple of versions of MS Office for Mac on CD's that I was going to send off to the local thrift store. I know I have more than one but the one I can put my hands on is the 2004 version and the key code is on the package. You can have it for the cost of postage.

I also have the 2011 version somewhere but I'm not sure just where it is at the moment.