For you folks who have been using it for years:

1-What is the best solvent to wipe the bottom down with prior to application of VC-17?

2-How long before getting her wet can you apply the paint?

3-What is the lower temperature range for application?

4-Understand I should not put it on saildrive, what should I put on it for fresh water?

1 hour ago, danstanford said:

1-What is the best solvent to wipe the bottom down with prior to application of VC-17?

4-Understand I should not put it on saildrive, what should I put on it for fresh water?

I used it for years on the Great Lakes and then a few years in NY harbor, because coating over it is damn near impossible.

1- doesn't matter, as long as it is clean. 

2 - again, shouldn't matter, but I never went more than a couple weeks, wet sanded with 220 and then splashed.

3- I've laid on in the 40s, was probably aggressive but never had issues.

4- Propkote is the best option, zinc spray pain is the cheap option, from my perspective. but you don't want copper over aluminum. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, penumbra said:

I used it for years on the Great Lakes and then a few years in NY harbor, because coating over it is damn near impossible.

2 - again, shouldn't matter, but I never went more than a couple weeks, wet sanded with 220 and then splashed.

4- Propkote is the best option, zinc spray pain is the cheap option, from my perspective. but you don't want copper over aluminum. 

+1

• Like 2
15 hours ago, penumbra said:

Pretty much the same.  But for some detail, we use isopropryl alcohol now.  Used to use acetone, but Interlux carrier solvent changed years ago.  Alcohol cheaper, lower VOC, lower health concerns.  Also use it for lightly thinning.  I typically buy a gallon of 90% alcohol every few years for 38 footer.

I asked about painting/launching interval years ago, Interlux said no constraints.  Some ambitious folks here get around to painting in the fall, then splash in May (upper Midwest).

Pretty sure Interlux says 40F minimum.  But I can find better things to do if it is in the 40's.

Can't help with saildrive, have regular shaft.

• Like 2
On 3/27/2021 at 4:37 PM, danstanford said:

I just did my boat in January  with vc17, over a base of vc17 

The special solvent recommended is made up of mostly Xylene so I used xylene as solvent and it worked great. 

I painted at just less than 50deg and by the time I was done the other end was dry and burnished with a paper bag, ready to splash. 

4inch foam "hotdog" rollers put it on nice an thin, no tipping needed. 

• Like 1

It can flash off pretty fast in a roller tray so we use sauce type squeeze bottles to apply to 4” rollers over a small tray. Helps conserve material. We did a 35’ with 2 cans in 1 1/2 hours last week including taping. Working steady but not busting ass. Was around 16C. Have never wiped it down with solvent yet. Marina power washes on haul out from Lake Ontario and it is usually very clean. Be careful and stay out of the wind when adding the copper to the liquid. 

• Like 3

I use a Heinz ketchup bottle (no affiliation) and keep the surplus in it. Stir it the next spring, add a new can to it, and it is ready to go. I usually apply a week before launch. On launch day, once lifted form the cradle, I stir by bottle, do under the cradle pad, and splash within minutes. Never had a problem.

I use Xylene as a solvent to wipe the boat down with a rag.  I use a 1 liter soda bottle with a small hole in the cap to dispense right onto the roller.  I give the soda bottle a good shake every few minutes with my finger over the hole. With gloves on of course.

On 4/1/2021 at 6:17 AM, PeterSailor said:

I use a Heinz ketchup bottle (no affiliation) and keep the surplus in it. Stir it the next spring, add a new can to it, and it is ready to go. I usually apply a week before launch. On launch day, once lifted form the cradle, I stir by bottle, do under the cradle pad, and splash within minutes. Never had a problem.

3 liter soft drink bottles work well too...

http://www.boat-project.com/otherproj/vc17.htm

Anyone know why it doesn't come with the copper already in the solvent? If you have half a can it is fine next year so it is not that the copper hardens in the can. Great stuff for the Great Lakes. Last boat, a 45' would use about four gallons of Micron 66 every two or three years, we painted when we had the opportunity for a haul. Still needed to scrub the bottom every 4 to 6 weeks in tropical conditions. VC 17 is about 1 1/2 cans each year. Much, much cheaper and easy to apply.

I don’t know the specific chemical reason, but the copper powder does coagulate/clump in the solvent after not too long - like days. If I paint the bottom weekend before launch, I have to stir/shake up leftover paint to do cradle pads by mid week. It is very finely ground powder. Mixing puts it back in suspension for more even coverage. 

An  actual use update.

I did our boat today. Car said temp was 3deg C (that's about 38 degF for you Mericuns) when I got to the marina. Had the boat prepped so started pretty much right away since there was no wind. I suspect the hull and keel may have actually been colder than the air (felt like it in the boat) since it was colder yesterday and we had some frost overnight. Mixed up the powder and solvent as usual, rolled it on, no issues at all. It may have taken a bit longer to dry than other years but it was still dry in less than 10 minutes.  Good coverage, didn't use any more than other years.  

No problems at all other than my back hurting.

Xylene will strip last year’s paint off without a lot of effort.     

I light sand it to shiny with 220 or 300 paper, it doesn’t take much.  Then I sand some more if/where it’s flaking.   I clean it with alcohol and roll on.