How about a The Ocean Race Europe thread?

NOR Amendment 1 is up. Some Redbits:

https://theoceanrace.s3.amazonaws.com/files/m124130_The-Ocean-Race-Europe-Notice-of-Race-Amendment-No1.pdf

6.2 IMOCA 60 Boats shall have:  IMOCA 60 Class Standard Solid Steel Fin keel [odd: why drop the OD keel req?]

8.4  For all Legs in the IMOCA 60 Class there shall be four or five Crew on board, of which at least one shall be female. [one less]

8.8  Crew Members may be changed for any Leg [hmmm. Allows for other commitments, or crew tryouts? 13.2 suggests tryouts]

13.2  Teams are permitted a maximum of three Technical Shore Crew to maintain the boat during stopovers. Teams shall supply the names of the Technical Shore Crew 48 hours before each stopover. Contract divers may also clean the Hull and appendages. Crew from the previous Leg may also maintain the boat in stopovers.

[didn't notice tracker info and sked frequency]

• Like 1
20 hours ago, stief said:

Teams are permitted a maximum of three Technical Shore Crew to maintain the boat during stopovers. Teams shall supply the names of the Technical Shore Crew 48 hours before each stopover. Contract divers may also clean the Hull and appendages. Crew from the previous Leg may also maintain the boat in stopovers.

I find this very strange indeed. Crews are only allowed three team members within their technical shore crew? 

For what reason? Covid, limiting numbers? Money, reducing costs? 

Now I know this isn’t a Vendee Globe but teams like Corum and LinkedOut had between 10 and 20 people in and out of the boat by the looks of all the photos and video that came from their social media posts. 

Team size limiting, I guess. Weight advantage of sailing light air routes with four aboard means a max of 7 members (3 shore team). If a team wants to reserve 8 names, then they have to sail 5-up all legs

Might free up some key players to negotiate signing with various teams?

On 3/29/2021 at 5:08 AM, furler49 said:

For what reason? Covid, limiting numbers? Money, reducing costs

Now I know this isn’t a Vendee Globe but teams like Corum and LinkedOut had between 10 and 20 people in and out of the boat by the looks of all the photos and video that came from their social media posts. 

The Vendee did not have stop overs every so often. When a Vendee boat had to go to a harbor, a very quick turnaround was required.

I think using the IMOCA 60 is a really smart decision. The amount of data and refinements to the class will make it the Premier Off Shore everywhere on the globe. The next Vendee will have much better boats and more important Safer for the single hand sailor. Sponsors will also be able to get the $$$ worth by having a boat built for double duty. I can see a major revolution in structural design and construction by doing this.

I can't wait to see what a Crewed Foiling IMOCA 60 will do. I hope the foils are retractable though, in light air that would be good.

On 3/30/2021 at 7:08 PM, Meat Wad said:

The Vendee did not have stop overs every so often. When a Vendee boat had to go to a harbor, a very quick turnaround was required.

I think using the IMOCA 60 is a really smart decision. The amount of data and refinements to the class will make it the Premier Off Shore everywhere on the globe. The next Vendee will have much better boats and more important Safer for the single hand sailor. Sponsors will also be able to get the $$$ worth by having a boat built for double duty. I can see a major revolution in structural design and construction by doing this.

I can't wait to see what a Crewed Foiling IMOCA 60 will do. I hope the foils are retractable though, in light air that would be good.

Why? When a Vendée boat goes into a harbour it is retired, why do you think they need fast turn around?

I think that there will be one boat built for the Ocean Race (11th Hour), and then maybe a few other entries (Boris and a few others), but all the best teams will do the Route du Rhum which is far more important with bigger returns for less investment!

On 4/2/2021 at 1:11 PM, Potter said:

Why? When a Vendée boat goes into a harbour it is retired, why do you think they need fast turn around?

I think that there will be one boat built for the Ocean Race (11th Hour), and then maybe a few other entries (Boris and a few others), but all the best teams will do the Route du Rhum which is far more important with bigger returns for less investment!

Agree. The clash with the RdR is nuts as it takes away any potential motivation to take part at the TOR for the main IMOCA teams. Running the TOR with just one new boat and various "lower level" old boats is doubtful... . I am still unsure how are they planning the logistics for a race with the two classes IMOCA and VO65. The arrivals are going to be widespread, resulting in longer stopovers, larger costs... . 

Anyhow, with 8 weeks to go the start of the Europe Ocean Race, confirmed entries, I believe:

IMOCA: 11th Hour, Corum, LinkedOut

VO65: Mirpuri

Anyone else??

On 4/2/2021 at 4:11 AM, Potter said:

Who was the boat that returned for major repairs and then left to join the race? I forgot who but he was basically out of contention but he still RE-joined the race.

1 minute ago, Meat Wad said:

Who was the boat that returned for major repairs and then left to join the race? I forgot who but he was basically out of contention but he still RE-joined the race.

*She 

** They didn't rejoin the race. Sam completed her circumnavigation outside of the Vendee Globe. 

4 hours ago, JeronimoII said:

Agree. The clash with the RdR is nuts as it takes away any potential motivation to take part at the TOR for the main IMOCA teams. Running the TOR with just one new boat and various "lower level" old boats is doubtful... . I am still unsure how are they planning the logistics for a race with the two classes IMOCA and VO65. The arrivals are going to be widespread, resulting in longer stopovers, larger costs... . 

Anyhow, with 8 weeks to go the start of the Europe Ocean Race, confirmed entries, I believe:

IMOCA: 11th Hour, Corum, LinkedOut

VO65: Mirpuri

Anyone else??

I think that is it for confirmed entries but Boris will likely be there. With French lockdown back I wouldn't be surprised if they just throw in the towel now. I think the same should be done for TOR more generally. Time for something else. I don't think anyone can revive it in its current form. A total overhaul is required in my uneducated opinion! 

On 4/3/2021 at 1:00 PM, Meat Wad said:

On 4/3/2021 at 1:03 PM, furler49 said:

*She 

** They didn't rejoin the race. Sam completed her circumnavigation outside of the Vendee Globe. 

He.

Jeremy Beyou was one of the top favorites, with Alex Thomson. Charal, his boat had techincal issues within 48 hrs from the start. By race rules, you are not allowed to stop in any port, except the starting port, Les Sables d'Olonnes. That's what he did, returning back, and leaving more than a week after everybody else, once the repairs were made. He passed half the fleet, but he was supposed to fight for the win... Very different race for him, and a lot of moral fortitude to even restart.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Laurent said:

He.

Jeremy Beyou was one of the top favorites, with Alex Thomson. Charal, his boat had techincal issues within 48 hrs from the start. By race rules, you are not allowed to stop in any port, except the starting port, Les Sables d'Olonnes. That's what he did, returning back, and leaving more than a week after everybody else, once the repairs were made. He passed half the fleet, but he was supposed to fight for the win... Very different race for him, and a lot of moral fortitude to even restart.

yep, my mistake. I'd forgotten about Jeremy. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Germany announced entry yesterday (IMOCA). Star reborn

Offshore Team Germany has announced it will compete in the IMOCA class in The Ocean Race Europe. 

The team will be led by German sailors Robert Stanjek and Phillip Kasüske anchoring an international crew that features Annie Lush, a veteran of previous campaigns in The Ocean Race.

"This is a terrific sign. I'm happy that it's actually becoming real now and we are finally getting underway," says Robert Stanjek, who switched to offshore sailing following his London 2012 Olympic participation in the Star boat (sixth place with Fritjof Kleen). 

"For me, the significance of The Ocean Race is quite similar to the Olympics. And the preparations have the same dimensions to an Olympic campaign - even if the tasks are much more diverse.

"The Ocean Race is my big dream and participating in the first ever edition of The Ocean Race Europe is a fantastic opportunity. We are very aware that we will be the rookie team. But we will be ready and give the others a tough competition."

The team is planning training sessions off France ahead of the start in Lorient at the end of May.

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/news/12665_Offshore-Team-Germany-joins-The-Ocean-Race-Europe.html

Looks like TOR-E is seriously leveraging the greenies for funding and eyeballs. Boris Herrmann claimed the value of the data collected on his last VG was a huge savings for the Malizia foundation (have to find the exact link, but here's a bit)

Could work.  Pay a boat to gather info rather than trying to funding a stand-alone project, and generate more widespread interest. 

By capturing data about the state of our seas, through this unique collaboration between sailors and ocean research organisations, we are able to contribute to increased understanding of ocean health. It’s a privilege to be able to provide data of value to the scientific community and it’s vital that governments act on the scientific evidence to protect and restore our ocean and all that depends on it.”

Many more testimonials at https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/news/12674_The-Ocean-Race-Europe-to-gather-data-on-the-state-of-the-seas.html

Now if I could only find an entry list and the SIs :lol:

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/the-ocean-race-europe (current entry list)

VO65 class
AmberSail (LIT)
Austrian Ocean Race Project (AUT)
Mirpuri Foundation Racing Team (POR)
Sailing Team Poland (POL)
Viva Mexico (MEX)
VO65 - team six - confirmed - to be announced
VO65 - team seven - confirmed - to be announced

IMOCA class
11th Hour Racing Team (USA)
CORUM L'Epargne (FRA)
LinkedOut (FRA)
Offshore Team Germany (GER)
IMOCA - team five

• Like 1
16 hours ago, stief said:

Deck tour with co-skipper of Childhood by Florian Rooz of Sea Wolves, with some info about the new A4

Mmm, I can see why Bouwe Bekking may have jumped ship...

• Like 1
On 4/19/2021 at 7:08 PM, stief said:

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/the-ocean-race-europe (current entry list)

VO65 class
AmberSail (LIT)
Sailing Team Poland (POL)
Viva Mexico (MEX)
VO65 - team six - confirmed - to be announced
VO65 - team seven - confirmed - to be announced

IMOCA class
CORUM L'Epargne (FRA)
LinkedOut (FRA)
IMOCA - team five

Still pretty sure IMOCA Team 5 is Louis Burton on his new BV3

6 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Mmm, I can see why Bouwe Bekking may have jumped ship...

Doesn't come across like a seriously world-class contender. So many new names (to me). TOR did say it's part of their 10 yr development plan, so that sets a relatively low bar for expectations.

What will we say looking back at the TOR-E in 10 years? Bouwe provides springboard for the next greatest sailors, or will this race remind us of Moose on Sanya: the end of an era in 2012, after such success in 2008?

(which reminds me: time to get back to catching up on the 2002/03 Around Alone race :lol: )

• Like 2

Am I missing something? I just tried to familiarize myself with the TOREU, using this website: https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/the-ocean-race-europe. Is this all there is? No crew lists, and if I want to access the team sites, I need to use the TOR links, although it looks like teams are missing there. Team Mexico's link doesn't work at all. 
The website is chaotic, lacks general structure and readability. It does not have a professional look, sorry to say this.

I'm very disappointed, because this site does not look as if it wants to attract eyeballs or evoke interest in the race at all.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Am I missing something? I just tried to familiarize myself with the TOREU, using this website: https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/the-ocean-race-europe. Is this all there is? No crew lists, and if I want to access the team sites, I need to use the TOR links, although it looks like teams are missing there. Team Mexico's link doesn't work at all. 
The website is chaotic, lacks general structure and readability. It does not have a professional look, sorry to say this.

I'm very disappointed, because this site does not look as if it wants to attract eyeballs or evoke interest in the race at all.

Matches what I see, sorry to say ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Offshore Team Germany picks Benjamin  Dutreux as nav

Only three months after the end of the Vendée Globe, Benjamin Dutreux switches from solo to sailing within a team. The Ocean Race Europe will be a new experience for him, and he is tackling it as navigator on board "Einstein" for Offshore Team Germany. "I'm looking forward to sailing in a team. I'm not just a solo sailor. What attracts me is offshore sailing and mastering new challenges. And it will be linguistically too. Because it's my first time on a boat to speak in the language of Shakespeare," says Dutreux. 

https://www.imoca.org/en/news/news/offshore-team-germany-gets-vendee-shooting-star-benjamin-dutreux-on-board-for-the-ocean-race-europe

• Like 1

VO65 class
AmberSail (LIT)
Sailing Poland (POL)
Viva Mexico (MEX)
Team Childhood 1 (SWE / NED)
AkzoNobel Ocean Racing (NED)

IMOCA class
CORUM L'Epargne (FRA)
LinkedOut (FRA)
Bureau Vallée (FRA)

I'm surprised Boris isn't on the IMOCA list, I thought Malizia was doing this?

4 minutes ago, JeronimoII said:

Boris just sold his boat to Attanasio. He has got no boat currently 

I'm out of date then :lol: (unless he's planning to do the full TOR in a new(er) boat and I've got my wires crossed?)

Roman Attanasio's old boat might make the start - it's been sold to a Swiss guy who's currently looking to put a team together. Sounds like a shit show though. 

1 hour ago, stief said:

Any word about Xabi and ESP?

I think Xabi is now pretty involved with the Spanish Sail GP team isn't he? I presume that means no TOR E and perhaps no Ocean Race either as he was pretty clear they only wanted to come and play if they had access to a new build 60... 

Just now, furler49 said:

I think Xabi is now pretty involved with the Spanish Sail GP team isn't he? I presume that means no TOR E and perhaps no Ocean Race either as he was pretty clear they only wanted to come and play if they had access to a new build 60... 

Thanks--makes sense, since I haven't followed the GP racing.

Never inspiring to watch promising projects sink towards the 'couda been' list. ;) 

Well, at least Chris Nicholson is back.

https://www.international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/akzonobel-ocean-racing-2021?fbclid=IwAR2m4NQAABM4qguaZDP1-HQkCUi9BOFUDVreWJLb-11EjW0T5B6L7wMS1js

• Like 2

Xavi's involvement in SailGP is part-time. He is very likely going to lead the TOR Spanish campaign, that under the contract with Alicante needs to be at the starting line no matter what.  The deadline for a new build is looming on the horizon, thus, very likely the Spanish are going to use an old IMOCA for it. 

2 hours ago, JeronimoII said:

Xavi's involvement in SailGP is part-time. He is very likely going to lead the TOR Spanish campaign, that under the contract with Alicante needs to be at the starting line no matter what.  The deadline for a new build is looming on the horizon, thus, very likely the Spanish are going to use an old IMOCA for it. 

Interesting! I didn’t know a Spanish boat was part of the contract... at least that’ll give 11th Hour someone to race against - I’d say the current 11th Hour boat is the obvious choice but it can’t be overly exciting to line up against a fleet of 3/4 Imoca’s of which one is a new build with a bottomless pit of money and two years of full preparation. 

The Entries for TORE = The Ocean Race Europe seems complete now. 7 VO65 and 5 IMOCA60 will contest the Event.

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/the-ocean-race-europe

VO65 Class

AmberSail (LIT)
Sailing Poland (POL)
Viva Mexico (MEX)

IMOCA60 Class

CORUM L'Epargne (FRA)
LinkedOut (FRA)
Bureau Vallée (FRA)

The same Teams will probably contest TOR in 2022/23 is my guess.

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The Entries for TORE = The Ocean Race Europe seems complete now. 7 VO65 and 5 IMOCA60 will contest the Event.

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/the-ocean-race-europe

VO65 Class

AmberSail (LIT)
Sailing Poland (POL)
Viva Mexico (MEX)

IMOCA60 Class

CORUM L'Epargne (FRA)
LinkedOut (FRA)
Bureau Vallée (FRA)

The same Teams will probably contest TOR in 2022/23 is my guess.

Nope, LinkedOut/Corum/Bureau Vallée are all doing the route du Rhum. Offshore team Germany are looking to sell the boat after this. 

The 65s are looking more secure although can we really see Sailing Poland, Lithuania, Austria starting the actual Ocean Race? Miripuri are pulling out of their sponsorship after this event too. 

All in all I’d be pretty worried if I was 11th Hour Racing! Two Imoca’s and potentially no one to race against. 

35 minutes ago, furler49 said:

Nope, LinkedOut/Corum/Bureau Vallée are all doing the route du Rhum. Offshore team Germany are looking to sell the boat after this. 

The 65s are looking more secure although can we really see Sailing Poland, Lithuania, Austria starting the actual Ocean Race? Miripuri are pulling out of their sponsorship after this event too. 

All in all I’d be pretty worried if I was 11th Hour Racing! Two Imoca’s and potentially no one to race against. 

I don't believe what you say until I see it!

Today's T&S interview with Nicolas Troussel, Corum, says there will be 5 IMOCAS

How do you see the plateau, with five Imoca? 
I think we're going to have a blast , there are four boats of roughly equivalent level [besidesCorum , LinkedOut , Bureau Vallée - ex L'Occitane -  and 11th Hour Racing ] and one which is a little older [ Offshore Team Germany , the former Acciona ] . This Tour of Europe is going to be super interesting and will allow us to set our objectives for the Transat Jacques Vabre, which is really the objective of the season. 

10 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I don't believe what you say until I see it!

Okay, here goes: 

IMOCA: 

LinkedOut871377354_Screenshot2021-05-08at10_18_28.thumb.png.742cf941ea3abb14fbf0408042a805e7.png

Corum: "And for you the goal is to roll into the new Vendée Globe campaign?
For now, we are with Corum until the Route du Rhum 2022 but the other goal of this year is to keep it all going beyond that, I think everyone is very keen on that. So, now we haven't proven much yet, other than showing that we are capable of setting up such a project. So the goals are first to finish the races and perform well."

Bureau Vallée:  http://louisburton.bureau-vallee.fr/un-nouveau-foiler-derniere-generation-pour-louis-burton-jusquen-2026/ (sponsor stays with him until 2026, partnership includes route du rhum 2022/2026 and the 2024 Vendee Globe. 

Team Germany - admittedly I can't back that comment up publicly but it is pretty well understood from what I gather. 

VO65: 

Again my comment regarding the lack of funding for several of the V65 teams is unproven and a hunch more than anything (albeit one I stand by) but see below regarding Miripuri: apologies if you don't speak French but the first line is saying that after the finish of The Ocean Race Europe the continuation of the project is uncertain... In this case the only certainty is that the project is finished, it has just not yet been publicly announced. That said having the teams skipper openly admit he's looking for a new gig seems pretty final to me.  

https://www.yoannrichomme.fr/ambitions/ 1606184078_Screenshot2021-05-08at10_31_53.thumb.png.45b07715c3a610ce298fb0586f0aa026.png

Trust me I'm desperate for The Ocean Race to succeed but the management need to open their eyes and see the shit show it is turning into, they've buried their heads having taken vast swathes of money from Volvo and 11th Hour - remember they've publicly stated that the event is fully funded but it's an event with *almost* no competitors. I'm genuinely worried the only crewed RTW races will be The Clipper Race (amazing for competitors and their families but not exactly fun watching for us anoraks) and mental Don's 50th anniversary of the original whitbread race. No Ocean Race means no professional, crewed RTW race which would suck!