If Anybody Out There is Bored...

In the last year my physical condition has gotten to the point where I can't really do much of anything short of existing.  I can walk, but only for a short distance and then I have to rest and anything beyond a hundred yards just isn't possible, no matter how long I rest.  Simple tasks leave me trembling like I did after doing muscle failure PT back in my Army days.  So what's a guy in his not so golden years to do? 

Well, as long as I mostly sit at my computer all day I decided to write a blog.  I have always like to write but I also can be lazy, so other than a few false starts I never got far.  Many people tell me that I tell good stories about my moderately adventurous life, and that I should write a book.  That sound s like a daunting task, so in  line with the eating an elephant method, I decided to write a blog about my life and take it in small bites, which at some point would provide a framework for a book.  

I have nothing to hide, I've gotten over embarrassment a long time ago and I have nothing to lose in the self disclosure area, so I am just putting down my thoughts as I think about them.  I've gotten some pretty good feedback so far, I post notice of updates on my Facebook page.  Some of my stories are humorous, all are real, and today's entry starts out light but get quite heavy in part 2.  I'm really going to stick my neck out now and put a link here.  This is a pretty tough crowd.  But I'm old and I'm a big guy so I can take criticism and even insults with good humor (HAH!)

After the introductory first entry which explains why I am doing it and I what I want to accomplish, the rest can be read in random order, they don't need to be read in sequence.

Here is what the some of the important rags have to say about it, already rave reviews are pouring in:

Rolling Stone Magazine calls it "A fascinating and interesting, detail laden memoir of an aging Boomer's life. Often insightful and witty, sometimes poignant, and always entertaining." Slate Magazine says "It's hip, it's cool and it's funny, this old guy can turn a phrase with the best of them!" And finally Time magazine says, "Lada could enter the annals of the top memoirists of the new millennium. His sharp eye for detail and his subtle, witty style will capture your attention and leave you eagerly anticipating the next adventure. Read it if you can!"

It gives me a reason to get up in the morning, and I feel somewhat productive, it's better than spending hours here anyway.  And it's fun and occasionally cathartic as I reflect back on my glory days.

So hop onboard and be an early adopter so you can smugly say later that you were reading Lada before it was cool. And let's admit it, we all want to be cool, don't we? Of course we do, so get to reading!

Feedback and constructive criticism is welcomed.  Gratuitous insults will possibly be dealt with harshly and more harshly. 

By the way @Point Break consider the gauntlet thrown down.  If I can do this you certainly can!  Get busy, we're all waiting with bait on our breath.

https://edsramblings.blogspot.com/

• Like 16

Thanks for the link. Love your posts here so am motivated to read. Except right now I only have time for the TikTok versions of life stories...

• Like 2

This is like finding a plain cardboard box at some remote campsite that someone scribbled a note on that says 'TNT is very dangerous. But open me up and I'll show you how to make it'.....:D

• Like 2

Finished the Jimmy story (1&2).  Ed, you write extremely well.  I'm afraid to start another story as they are gripping.  I will work through the library over the coming week.  Keep writing, I am envious of your obvious skill.  

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

By the way @Point Break consider the gauntlet thrown down.  If I can do this you certainly can!  Get busy, we're all waiting with bait on our breath.

:lol:

Come on @Point Break

No backing out now.

with a whiskey collection like that you've made number one on my reading list :)

it was empty :P

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you're poorly but have found a wonderful outlet for your still obviously very active mind.

I'll be following your musings Ed.

Carpe diem.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thack you!     Juste a gentelle kick, I meane remindere.........             :)

What are you talking about Snaggs, it was a gentle kick right in the nuts!  :lol:

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Finished the Jimmy story (1&2).  Ed, you write extremely well.  I'm afraid to start another story as they are gripping.  I will work through the library over the coming week.  Keep writing, I am envious of your obvious skill.  

Thanks Cal20, the rest are a bit lighter for the most part, but I will delve into other serious issues down the road.  I'm rather fond of my exploration of some the the famous sights of Rome, I like to think is rather humorous, yet informative.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

This is like finding a plain cardboard box at some remote campsite that someone scribbled a note on that says 'TNT is very dangerous. But open me up and I'll show you how to make it'.....:D

I love the smell of a good simile in the morning.  It sure beats a burrito fart!   :lol:

1 hour ago, El Borracho said:

Thanks for the link. Love your posts here so am motivated to read. Except right now I only have time for the TikTok versions of life stories...

Don't make me twerk in a mirror!

1 hour ago, chum said:

Whole Lada bs, I can’t wait! :lol:

:)

<cue Zep on 3.....2...1....>

'Gotta whole lotta crap'....:lol:

• Like 1

Lada .... From Noyes.

I'd like to do what you're doing Ed.

I just can't get past the "I can't build a dining table and a set of 12 chairs, or get on the tractor and plow and plant 20 acres of crops" thing yet.

Between Lyme disease, a broken thigh, and most recently a broken spine, I surely have excuses for not living my old life, I just can't find the reason.

I'll only be 60 this week. Some days I wake up feeling like my grandfather looked at 86. Some days I feel like I'm 27, until I try to lift something heavy, or get under a machine to work on a linkage....

They told me when I was very young, that I'd never live past 40 (I was a sickly child). I told them they were wrong. The pediatrician told me I'd never be taller than 5'8". I bet him $10 that I'd be taller than 6' (He died before I could collect).

I have a lot of stories to tell. Not like yours, different, but maybe interesting.... But...

I'm enjoying your stories. Maybe it will inspire me. I will have to say,that I'm very glad I was not in the military in the late 70s, early 80s.

8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Lada .... From Noyes.

I'd like to do what you're doing Ed.

I just can't get past the "I can't build a dining table and a set of 12 chairs, or get on the tractor and plow and plant 20 acres of crops" thing yet.

Between Lyme disease, a broken thigh, and most recently a broken spine, I surely have excuses for not living my old life, I just can't find the reason.

I'll only be 60 this week. Some days I wake up feeling like my grandfather looked at 86. Some days I feel like I'm 27, until I try to lift something heavy, or get under a machine to work on a linkage....

They told me when I was very young, that I'd never live past 40 (I was a sickly child). I told them they were wrong. The pediatrician told me I'd never be taller than 5'8". I bet him $10 that I'd be taller than 6' (He died before I could collect).

I have a lot of stories to tell. Not like yours, different, but maybe interesting.... But...

I'm enjoying your stories. Maybe it will inspire me. I will have to say,that I'm very glad I was not in the military in the late 70s, early 80s.

Mr. Left 8, I still get a chuckle everytime I think about your "Cornholing" story. Utterly classic!  (I had no idea that you're damn near as old as me!)

Ed, I've enjoyed your posts and our PM's very much and have to think your blog will be equally wonderful. I've occasionally shaken my head at the length of some of your posts and messages, thinking about the amount of time you'd devoted to them.  I'd say you're a natural storyteller!

And proof positive that we don't have to agree on politics to like each other. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Mr. Left 8, I still get a chuckle everytime I think about your "Cornholing" story. Utterly classic!  (I had no idea that you're damn near as old as me!)

That was a pretty funny story, even in real time!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, On The Hard said:

got a link to said story?

37 minutes ago, tybee said:

got a link to said story?

Well, no. But it goes a little bit like this...

I'd moved up to North Florida from the Caribbean, and been setting up a homestead, and all that.

Been driving around and trying to  just get accustomed to the places and roads, and how you get from here to there... After living 55 years or so in one place or another, you kinda know where you are. Well, I kept passing this place called "The City Bar". And it had a big sign out front  that said "FREE CORN HOLE EVERY THURSDAY NIGHT!"

Well where I come from, that means one thing. I really couldn't imagine that the only (literally the only) bar in this county would be a gay bar, but....

So anyway, one day, it happened to be my birthday, I decided to go in for a beer.

I got the hairy eyeball from a bunch of guys, but the lady served me a beer.

After a second beer the owner asked me about me, and I gave him some vague answers, but enough to make him ask why I hadn't come in before.

And I told him that I didn't usually go in to gay bars.

That made the whole place go dead silent.

"What the hell you talkin''bout "GAY bar!?"

I said.... "Well, I saw the sign about corn hole on Thursday night...." And a guy at the end of the bar started laughing.

(Think a Maine accent) "Corn hole don't mean down here what it means up there!"

• Like 1

You write very well, Edmund.

I just read Jimmy's tale, and will offer one word of advice; "paragraphs".

Paragraphs allow your readers' eyes to take a more relaxed approach to a good story, and they also help the editor's efforts in proofreading.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

In the last year my physical condition has gotten to the point where I can't really do much of anything short of existing.  I can walk, but only for a short distance and then I have to rest and anything beyond a hundred yards just isn't possible, no matter how long I rest.  Simple tasks leave me trembling like I did after doing muscle failure PT back in my Army days.  So what's a guy in his not so golden years to do? 

Well, as long as I mostly sit at my computer all day I decided to write a blog.  I have always like to write but I also can be lazy, so other than a few false starts I never got far.  Many people tell me that I tell good stories about my moderately adventurous life, and that I should write a book.  That sound s like a daunting task, so in  line with the eating an elephant method, I decided to write a blog about my life and take it in small bites, which at some point would provide a framework for a book.  

I have nothing to hide, I've gotten over embarrassment a long time ago and I have nothing to lose in the self disclosure area, so I am just putting down my thoughts as I think about them.  I've gotten some pretty good feedback so far, I post notice of updates on my Facebook page.  Some of my stories are humorous, all are real, and today's entry starts out light but get quite heavy in part 2.  I'm really going to stick my neck out now and put a link here.  This is a pretty tough crowd.  But I'm old and I'm a big guy so I can take criticism and even insults with good humor (HAH!)

After the introductory first entry which explains why I am doing it and I what I want to accomplish, the rest can be read in random order, they don't need to be read in sequence.

Here is what the some of the important rags have to say about it, already rave reviews are pouring in:

Rolling Stone Magazine calls it "A fascinating and interesting, detail laden memoir of an aging Boomer's life. Often insightful and witty, sometimes poignant, and always entertaining." Slate Magazine says "It's hip, it's cool and it's funny, this old guy can turn a phrase with the best of them!" And finally Time magazine says, "Lada could enter the annals of the top memoirists of the new millennium. His sharp eye for detail and his subtle, witty style will capture your attention and leave you eagerly anticipating the next adventure. Read it if you can!"

It gives me a reason to get up in the morning, and I feel somewhat productive, it's better than spending hours here anyway.  And it's fun and occasionally cathartic as I reflect back on my glory days.

So hop onboard and be an early adopter so you can smugly say later that you were reading Lada before it was cool. And let's admit it, we all want to be cool, don't we? Of course we do, so get to reading!

Feedback and constructive criticism is welcomed.  Gratuitous insults will possibly be dealt with harshly and more harshly. 

After reading your blog on Italian food, it reminded me of the Stanley Tucci series on CNN, Searching for Italy.  He does a really good job of defining Italian cuisine and the cultures behind it. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/stanley-tucci-searching-for-italy-restaurants/index.html

• Like 1
5 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

You write very well, Edmund.

I just read Jimmy's tale, and will offer one word of advice; "paragraphs".

Paragraphs allow your readers' eyes to take a more relaxed approach to a good story, and they also help the editor's efforts in proofreading.

Man, I never used to use the damn things until folks here bitched and whined and shamed me in to it. 

I'm making progress. 

In my defense, the page on Blogger is quite narrow.  If it was a normal sheet of paper, the paragraphs wouldn't look as long.

But thanks for letting me know, I'll try harder.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Man, I never used to use the damn things until folks here bitched and whined and shamed me in to it. 

If we didn't like you, we wouldn't care. ;)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I’ll second that.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

If we didn't like you, we wouldn't care. ;)

Yeah, that's like saying We like you.

So we'll kill you quickly...  :lol:

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I'm making progress. 

In my defense, the page on Blogger is quite narrow.  If it was a normal sheet of paper, the paragraphs wouldn't look as long.

But thanks for letting me know, I'll try harder.

I cane helpe withe anney edditing questiones you maye haive.....        juste lette me no buddey.                         :)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I cane helpe withe anney edditing questiones you maye haive.....        juste lette me no buddey.                         :)

Thanks Snaggs, I could use some help with spelling, if you don't mind.

Just now, Ed Lada said:
7 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thanks Snaggs, I could use some help with spelling, if you don't mind.

Adgreede!  Moeste spelle czechias sucke, I avoide at alle costes.....                 :)

• Like 2

OK..... Now I know where Larry McMurtry's writing soul went just before he died.

• Like 1

For all of my fans out there I have a new blog post up, the wait is over!    

The last one was pretty heavy and I need e a little time to recover.  The new one involves a couple of funny stories that happened to me in Germany as well, but they have a happier ending (No, not that kind of happy ending!), and 45 years later, they are quite funny, even if they weren't so much at the time. 

Go ahead and have a laugh at my expense!   I know I was laughing as I wrote it.

On 3/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, El Mariachi said:

<cue Zep on 3.....2...1....>

'Gotta whole lotta crap'....:lol:

You've been in my back yard!

Another interesting review of the blog 'Ed's Stuff' can be found  in the 'Arts and Living section of the Krakow Patch which praised it as 'Finally, the ultimate cure for insomniacs' and 'Unfortunately It doesn't hold a candle to another self absorbed, self aggrandizing  S.A. boomer, that of Lord Dubin of Kellet'.  When asked for comment Dubin was quoted as saying 'The blog asks 'If anyone is bored, and after reading it reaches unanimous consent'. The animated  Dubinator continued using an oft repeated  Truman Capote quote to describe his fellow blogster's efforts as  ''That's not writing, that's typing', and finally adding 'I'd rather spend an evening going for a midnight stroll behind the pub with myself'.  Rumors abound that Ed is shopping a screenplay based on the blog in the local Polish film industry to Roman Polanski (both share a super natural zeal  in the younger female form). Johnny Depp reportedly has backed out of the picture and will be replaced with Ed O'Neill for a beach blanket RomCom set in Stegna with O'Neill playing Lada and  Małgorzata Zajączkowska as his unrequited love interest. The films release is set to coincide in a promotional effort with  2021's International Steak and Knobber' day. Cinema tickets can be exchanged for American cigarettes and chocolate bars (Or two seats for a knobber)'. - Staff Writer, Krakow Patch.

Photo credit Krakow Patch    

ed.jpg

• Like 2

To be mentioned in the same breath as the Dubinator is good enough for me. 

A fine review, well done Crisco.  

A few changes, George Clooney has read th eblog and he was so insistent, that Ed O'Neill will now be replaced with Clooney.  It looks like @Al Paca will be the producer with @NeedAClewas line producer.  I will hold the title Executive Producer.  

Keep your eyes on this space for further updates.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Yeah, she's a bit older than I am, even if we do share the same names.

She's got the same birthday as me..... She can't be all bad....

9 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

To be mentioned in the same breath as the Dubinator is good enough for me. 

A fine review, well done Crisco.  

A few changes, George Clooney has read th eblog and he was so insistent, that Ed O'Neill will now be replaced with Clooney.  It looks like @Al Paca will be the producer with @NeedAClewas line producer.  I will hold the title Executive Producer.  

Keep your eyes on this space for further updates.

I knew you would come to your senses and regret drinking the FishFood Kool-aid or whatever led to your dissing a person of my obscure genius.  I would want a better title but we can defer that until I have sampled your wares. That means "have read your blog," relax. Need to find a burner laptop to read on, for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Why is this posted in General Anarchy? 
Could a moderator kindly move this thread to Geriatric Anarchy please!

Keepe youre dresse on.....   pulle on youre bigge girlle panties an dealle withe it...............             :)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Keepe youre dresse on.....   pulle on youre bigge girlle panties an dealle withe it...............             :)

This is how I picture Crisco when I read his posts.  Green is a good color for him.

The Grinch Face Template | Christmas wallpaper, Cute christmas wallpaper,  Christmas phone wallpaper

1 hour ago, quod umbra said:

Oh gosh you are funny.
Back in your drawer......

That's funny coming from you.

2 hours ago, quod umbra said:
4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

That's funny coming from you.

It is....

but likely in the way you think.

I thick Qoddey forgotte the 'notte' worde........                      :)

On 4/2/2021 at 11:20 AM, Cristoforo said:

Another interesting review of the blog 'Ed's Stuff' can be found  in the 'Arts and Living section of the Krakow Patch which praised it as 'Finally, the ultimate cure for insomniacs' and 'Unfortunately It doesn't hold a candle to another self absorbed, self aggrandizing  S.A. boomer, that of Lord Dubin of Kellet'.  When asked for comment Dubin was quoted as saying 'The blog asks 'If anyone is bored, and after reading it reaches unanimous consent'. The animated  Dubinator continued using an oft repeated  Truman Capote quote to describe his fellow blogster's efforts as  ''That's not writing, that's typing', and finally adding 'I'd rather spend an evening going for a midnight stroll behind the pub with myself'.  Rumors abound that Ed is shopping a screenplay based on the blog in the local Polish film industry to Roman Polanski (both share a super natural zeal  in the younger female form). Johnny Depp reportedly has backed out of the picture and will be replaced with Ed O'Neill for a beach blanket RomCom set in Stegna with O'Neill playing Lada and  Małgorzata Zajączkowska as his unrequited love interest. The films release is set to coincide in a promotional effort with  2021's International Steak and Knobber' day. Cinema tickets can be exchanged for American cigarettes and chocolate bars (Or two seats for a knobber)'. - Staff Writer, Krakow Patch.

Photo credit Krakow Patch    

ed.jpg

Perhaps it's the 3td bottle of wine speaking, but my first response is Fuck you.

My second response is fuck you where you breathe at (a phrase I learned from a subway ride probably 10 years ago)

Whether I like Ed's writing or not. Whether I find it interesting or not is irrelevant.

The man is expressing himself and he's doing it for the reasons he's shared.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Offer some insightful reasons for your distaste. Or just say it didn't work for you. Nobody has an issue with intelligent criticism.  Some of us even learn from it.

Until you grow the balls to offer your own heartfelt prose about your life or offer intelligent, considered criticism, shut the fuck up.

Perhaps I'll feel differently in 2 days when the hangover passes, but at the moment I don't have patience for petty attacks on the bold from people without said guts.

• Like 3
On 4/2/2021 at 8:20 AM, Cristoforo said:

Another interesting review of the blog 'Ed's Stuff' can be found  in the 'Arts and Living section of the Krakow Patch which praised it as 'Finally, the ultimate cure for insomniacs' and 'Unfortunately It doesn't hold a candle to another self absorbed, self aggrandizing  S.A. boomer, that of Lord Dubin...

God I love this place. Literature begets literature. SA is a yet unrecognized font of expressive insight! Well done Ed, Christo, and many others!

• Like 1

Finished the Jimmy story which took me back to the late ‘60’s in college.  Good stuff here Ed.  Thx for sharing and riffing on those years.

I rolled into the late ‘60’s  a surfer & a track athlete and, a few years later,  I was living with dealers and wild, crazy southern dudes in farms outside of town.  We laughed a lot and tripped our brains out all thru ‘69.

The draft ended, I pulled a high lottery number and ditched the college scene.  Few years later I hooked up with Joe, one of my old dealer buds,  and we sauntered down to Mexico and then Belize.   Joe looking for a new hookup after doing 2years in prison on a (big) pot bust and me  spending most of my time diving and watching sunsets on the quays downing rum and ‘shrooms.  And then it all ended.  We ran out of money , his wife was sunburned and hungover all day and I was massively bored save for diving and fishing reefs.

Joe was also not the funny Southern hipster anymore.  Dealing was his bizness and actually his life. The laughs were forced and the paranoia was very real.  I was done with all that scene.  It was fun once but, the second time around it just didn’t add up to anything cool.

Went north to Boston and sailing and Joe I never heard from again.   That was how it went when you were young I guess.   Moving on to better things and finding your own voice.  

Those were some weird/trippy years which I still find hard describing in a cool way to those who weren’t around then.   Isn’t that how it us though for all of us?  On face value you’re prolly not all THAT interesting but, on the other hand -sheit - we covered some ground, nobody died and we had those wacked out,  weird experiences that pop up in Johnny Depp flicks.

It was all right in the end.   

• Like 3
9 hours ago, PurpleOnion said:

Perhaps it's the 3td bottle of wine speaking, but my first response is Fuck you.

My second response is fuck you where you breathe at (a phrase I learned from a subway ride probably 10 years ago)

Whether I like Ed's writing or not. Whether I find it interesting or not is irrelevant.

The man is expressing himself and he's doing it for the reasons he's shared.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Offer some insightful reasons for your distaste. Or just say it didn't work for you. Nobody has an issue with intelligent criticism.  Some of us even learn from it.

Until you grow the balls to offer your own heartfelt prose about your life or offer intelligent, considered criticism, shut the fuck up.

Perhaps I'll feel differently in 2 days when the hangover passes, but at the moment I don't have patience for petty attacks on the bold from people without said guts.

Well said Mr. Onion.  I've been known here to post a rant or 2 under the influence of the grape myself.  Kudos to you for being able to express yourself coherently while you're in to your 3rd bottle.  

You've hit the nail on the head, you got it.  I was encouraged to write my blog by people that like my stories.  I write it for them, and perhaps other people also read it and they like it as well.  And i write it for my own entertainment and to feel like I am doing something with my time.  If people read it, I'm happy.  If people offer constructive criticism, I try to incorporate it and become better.  I like that.

There are many people like Crisco who are angry and bitter and feel that the world has done them wrong.  Crisco and his long history of name changes here has been doing his thing for a long time on SA.  Of course it's best to ignore him, but he does also have some entertainment value.  I guess everybody here offers what they can.  

When you put yourself out in public, when you share your thoughts, feelings and your art, there is always a risk.  When you expose yourself, you open yourself to pain as well as pleasure.  I first learned this when I made jewelry in my 20s and would sell it at shows and other venues.  For the first time, I had created something and now I Was seeking approval, validation.  Would people like my art and by extension, would they like me.  I sold a fair amount of what I made, so I felt I was successful.  I also endured some gratuitous unnecessary criticism of my work.  I learned it comes with the territory.  Later in my like, in Korea, I made photos and sold them on US military bases.  The same thing, I was exposing my inner self to perfect strangers.  I sold a lot of photos, got a lot of compliments and a few critics.  The best compliment was that several Korean people bought my photos.  I felt I had done something right to capture their interest, a foreigner, photographing what i found interesting in their country, and apparently they agreed with me.  

Artists (or wannabe artists) create because they have to.  They feel the need to say something.  People accept it or they don't.  Not everything is for everybody.  I am at a point in my life where I have done many things and I've grown much less sensitive to criticism.  I know who I am, and what I am.  I am only human, like Willy Loman, I want to be well liked, but at some point in my life I discovered being me got me liked better than trying to be somebody I wasn't.  Take me as I am or walk away.  I am here to make myself happy, then I can help others.  That's how life really works.  Gratuitous, insulting criticism is hurtful to a point, but it's best just to consider the source, brush it off and enjoy the positive feedback.  As they say, haters gonna hate.  People like Crisco hate others because they hate themselves.  That's just too bad really.  Introspection isn't for pussies.

8 hours ago, El Borracho said:

God I love this place. Literature begets literature. SA is a yet unrecognized font of expressive insight! Well done Ed, Christo, and many others!

Thanks Mr. Bean.  Everybody here creates something.  This place is a weird combination of bullshit and beauty, in other words a microcosm of society and our world..  

4 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Finished the Jimmy story which took me back to the late ‘60’s in college.  Good stuff here Ed.  Thx for sharing and riffing on those years.

I rolled into the late ‘60’s  a surfer & a track athlete and, a few years later,  I was living with dealers and wild, crazy southern dudes in farms outside of town.  We laughed a lot and tripped our brains out all thru ‘69.

The draft ended, I pulled a high lottery number and ditched the college scene.  Few years later I hooked up with Joe, one of my old dealer buds,  and we sauntered down to Mexico and then Belize.   Joe looking for a new hookup after doing 2years in prison on a (big) pot bust and me  spending most of my time diving and watching sunsets on the quays downing rum and ‘shrooms.  And then it all ended.  We ran out of money , his wife was sunburned and hungover all day and I was massively bored save for diving and fishing reefs.

Joe was also not the funny Southern hipster anymore.  Dealing was his bizness and actually his life. The laughs were forced and the paranoia was very real.  I was done with all that scene.  It was fun once but, the second time around it just didn’t add up to anything cool.

Went north to Boston and sailing and Joe I never heard from again.   That was how it went when you were young I guess.   Moving on to better things and finding your own voice.  

Those were some weird/trippy years which I still find hard describing in a cool way to those who weren’t around then.   Isn’t that how it us though for all of us?  On face value you’re prolly not all THAT interesting but, on the other hand -sheit - we covered some ground, nobody died and we had those wacked out,  weird experiences that pop up in Johnny Depp flicks.

It was all right in the end.   

Thanks for sharing your experience B'full.  Every generation has it's moments.  My father graduated from high school and went off to WWI II.  The folks right before me went to Vietnam.  In the 1920s kids became flappers and partied like three was no tomorrow.  our generation did drugs, had sex and other crazy things.  Each generation does what they do, deal with what they have, respond to it, and it makes them what they are.  

I think there is a value in reading stories form other times.  It's interesting, it can be helpful, and it can be entertaining.  

My next blog is a bout a big mistake I made because I was young and dumb.  I learned a lot from my mistake.  it involves drugs, money, and other things.  I am not embarrassed to share the story, it's a good one.  You know how it is, if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger.  Or it doesn't.  Life is about choices.   

20 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I thick Qoddey forgotte the 'notte' worde........                      :)

Your powers of observation are unique.
Thanks for the note on the missing notte.
Your mistary of the English language is comdemable. 

OK folks, for my fans, a new blog post just went up.  You don't want to miss this one, it involves drugs, money, stolen cars, unsavory characters, the Military police and the German police.  And as always, it's a true story!  

Enjoy and remember, always read responsibly.  

My blog writings are not an explicit or implied endorsement of any activities I might have been involved in.  Not the unsavory activities anyway.

And in case you don't remember where to find it, I just happen to have the link right here.

• Like 1
On 3/28/2021 at 10:06 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Well, no. But it goes a little bit like this...

I'd moved up to North Florida from the Caribbean, and been setting up a homestead, and all that.

Been driving around and trying to  just get accustomed to the places and roads, and how you get from here to there... After living 55 years or so in one place or another, you kinda know where you are. Well, I kept passing this place called "The City Bar". And it had a big sign out front  that said "FREE CORN HOLE EVERY THURSDAY NIGHT!"

Well where I come from, that means one thing. I really couldn't imagine that the only (literally the only) bar in this county would be a gay bar, but....

So anyway, one day, it happened to be my birthday, I decided to go in for a beer.

I got the hairy eyeball from a bunch of guys, but the lady served me a beer.

After a second beer the owner asked me about me, and I gave him some vague answers, but enough to make him ask why I hadn't come in before.

And I told him that I didn't usually go in to gay bars.

That made the whole place go dead silent.

"What the hell you talkin''bout "GAY bar!?"

I said.... "Well, I saw the sign about corn hole on Thursday night...." And a guy at the end of the bar started laughing.

(Think a Maine accent) "Corn hole don't mean down here what it means up there!"

You know I heard some people talking about corn hole the other day, and I had the same reaction. I'm from wherever it's considered unnatural.

7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

OK folks, for my fans, a new blog post just went up.  You don't want to miss this one, it involves drugs, money, stolen cars, unsavory characters, the Military police and the German police.  And as always, it's a true story!  

Enjoy and remember, always read responsibly.  

My blog writings are not an explicit or implied endorsement of any activities I might have been involved in.  Not the unsavory activities anyway.

And in case you don't remember where to find it, I just happen to have the link right here.

Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist.

Ed, I just saw this thread. I've book marked your blog in a place of honor, and look forward to reading. When are you going to plug my paintings?

• Like 1

The kicker in “Young & Dumb” :

”On the other hand, my co-worker friend was from a small town in Michigan and was even more naive than I was.”

Haha.   Yes.

An east coast US upbringing does not in any possible way prepare one for what passes as midwestern hip. Ohio farmgirls in college and away from home the first time would make me nervous the way they blindly tossed themselves at you.   Back then it wasn’t a cultural gap - it was the f’ng Grand Canyon.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bull City said:

Ed, I just saw this thread. I've book marked your blog in a place of honor, and look forward to reading. When are you going to plug my paintings?

Hey there! Honestly I wasn't sure if you wanted any publicity.  I am happy to plug your work here, as you can see it's in good company.

I don't know if any of you anarchists out there know, but our very own Bull City is quite the artist.  I got these 3 paintings from him a few years ago and I enjoy looking at them every day.  They are on the wall at the bottom of the stairs in my house, so as I come downstairs every morning this scene greets me.  Nice way to start my day.  I'm sure Mr. BC would be happy to show you some of his other work.  The man has talent!

image.thumb.png.6fb0b8853c82a37c3315756a10acd69c.png

5 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:
Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist.

Well, I wonder if I violated some Blogger rule talking about drugs and such.  

I need to look into this, I don't have any communication from them but when I go to the page to edit it, it doesn't let me publish it.  It's a damn good story too!