Jump to content

Is there any logic to owning a boat?


Recommended Posts

While going through the process of looking for my dream boat I have found myself trying to explain the purchase to my friends and family and realize almost everything I say to them sounds completely irrational. In particular it probably (she would never be confrontational like a western woman) sounds crazy to my long-distance filipina girlfriend, since you can buy a nice little two hectare farm on the oceanfront there in the province (translates roughly to middle of nowhere on a small island only accessible by bangka) for $10,000, complete with money producing coconut trees. It all started when I got on Yachtworld a few months ago to help a friend find a powerboat... 

My best rationalization thus far has been "I don't feel comfortable with fiat currency right now with all the government spending, and need to put money into tangible assets. Land is overvalued, I couldn't even find an affordable winter home in Florida bigger than a trailer to spend the next cold winter." Injecting "fiat currency" into the discussion has been helpful to confuse most of those that might try to talk me out of it. 

I'm just ventilating, since I know most people here share my mental illness. The best reason for buying a boat is always "f*$&  it, I just want it." But it might settle my nerves if I hear a few craziness stories from other people. 

https://uk.boats.com/boat-buyers-guide/is-there-any-logic-to-owning-a-boat/

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a bunch of boats. I don’t perceive any problem. 
 

The ex-wife on the other hand...

I love sailing!!!

 

As an aside, a member of our club said “Buy the boat. You can always sell it later but you can’t buy one when you’re dead!”

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is absolutely no rational argument that can justify owning a boat.  So to me, the answer is... One either gets it or not.  If you don't get it, there's no reason to have one.

Coming from a person who has owned a series of 7 sailboats over the last 44 years, both cruising boats and race boats.  in addition... 2 inflatable dinghies, a classic wooden pram, a Trinka sailing dinghy, and 3 kayaks.  Oh... and 2 center console runabouts.

It's an incurable "disease".  Currently searching for the next sailboat.

...FC

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

NO NOT AT ALL!

Cruise ships are cheaper than boats, disease issues notwithstanding. Cheaper by FAR.

It makes no sense at all.

Neither does buying $5/gallon to fill the airplane. Neither does riding a Harley. Neither does racing an old MG or a new 911. 

Neither does screwing the crazy blonde with the huge tits and a convict husband just about to get out of jail.

So the question is - do you want to live or just sit on the couch?

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Full disclosure: 24 Carolina Skiff used a lot, Catalina 22 not used a lot due to trailering, Boston Whaler 19 project, Starcraft 22 project, Wellcraft V-22 completed project for sale, two jet skis, two kayaks... oh, and a small farm to manage. Last year I bought 25 feeder pigs and a few sheep to raise now that was completely insane. This year I will plant clover and a small garden and call it good so I will have time every day to drink margaritas on a big sailboat while polishing it. 

There is some logic to a boat in the summer near Cleveland. I can just pull up to the big beach and women will ask for a ride. 

IMG_4676.thumb.JPG.dfbd8f26a1a5f95c86dd7c7de4155d73.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

What difference does it make?

Is there any logic to going to a movie?

Is there any logic in a nice lawn?

Is there any logic to skiing?

Is there any logic in doing anything unrelated to merely maintaining your existence?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya lost me at "tangible asset". You are not right in the head. But regained my interest at filipina girlfriend. You are okay. Why would you try to explain your yachting interest to a filipina girlfriend, or a wife, on anyone for that matter? That's crazy. Just say "I like it." And change the subject. Best of all your post let's me post, for the 5'th time, my filipina girlfriends on a boat (before COVID, sigh):

 

391284886_Shower-1.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

for every $ I spend on the boat, I have to spend a $ on the house.  

a boat is not an asset, it is a managed liability.

buy less than you can afford or can manage.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a continuum and it involves a ratio of cost to enjoyment.

By this rationale, the top of the logic chain is the ability to get laid in a canoe.

At the bottom is getting divorced over a boat you can’t afford...wait maybe bump that last one up at least to mid level logic...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

as•set 

n.

A useful or valuable quality, person, or thing; an advantage or resource.

n.

A valuable item that is owned.

n.

A spy working in his or her own country and controlled by the enemy.

The filipina is a fantastic asset :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some are conflating asset with investment. Bullion is also an asset, a means of storing stable value but not an investment. 

The best way to make a million dollars sailing? Start with two million. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caliente said:

While going through the process of looking for my dream boat I have found myself trying to explain the purchase to my friends and family and realize almost everything I say to them sounds completely irrational. In particular it probably (she would never be confrontational like a western woman) sounds crazy to my long-distance filipina girlfriend, since you can buy a nice little two hectare farm on the oceanfront there in the province (translates roughly to middle of nowhere on a small island only accessible by bangka) for $10,000, complete with money producing coconut trees. It all started when I got on Yachtworld a few months ago to help a friend find a powerboat... 

My best rationalization thus far has been "I don't feel comfortable with fiat currency right now with all the government spending, and need to put money into tangible assets. Land is overvalued, I couldn't even find an affordable winter home in Florida bigger than a trailer to spend the next cold winter." Injecting "fiat currency" into the discussion has been helpful to confuse most of those that might try to talk me out of it. 

I'm just ventilating, since I know most people here share my mental illness. The best reason for buying a boat is always "f*$&  it, I just want it." But it might settle my nerves if I hear a few craziness stories from other people. 

https://uk.boats.com/boat-buyers-guide/is-there-any-logic-to-owning-a-boat/

At the best of times, a boat is a depreciating asset. It is only an asset in that it generally has some residual value after depreciation.

Boats cost money, continually.

The price you pay for the boat is only the price of admission. Popcorn, and everything else, is extra.

I justify boat ownership in that I've made my living around boats, in one form or another, for the last 45 years. I like being on the water.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you worried about "fiat currency" so much. It's what all the world uses (unless there are countries still tied to shiny yellow metal)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping this would be just a good sarcastically snarky thread to kill some time. Since I stopped buying new boats about twenty years ago, I have made money on every single one I have owned including insurance, repairs etc. But I have stuck to flipping smaller boats that have depreciated tremendously and I do all the work myself. So much work that it became a second career, and as much per hour as my doctoral degree career at times especially with insurance work or people that want a guaranteed price which I then estimate at four times what I think it might be. Current marina prices: $90 per hour for applying varnish, yikes. And fiberglass repair or spraying gelcoat, this seems to be a vanishing skill as I get calls from dealers hours away from me with no paid advertising. 

With a 40 foot plus sailboat in salt water it is hard for most people just to keep up the maintenance and the breakable bits and pieces can be expensive budget busters. Expect to put at least 10% of the purchase price into keeping it up or 10% into depreciation through deferred maintenance. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zonker said:

Why are you worried about "fiat currency" so much. It's what all the world uses (unless there are countries still tied to shiny yellow metal)

It's a pretty standard right wing POV.

Any time I see someone post about "Fiat currency" I ignore anything they have to say about economics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Why are you worried about "fiat currency" so much. It's what all the world uses (unless there are countries still tied to shiny yellow metal)

Another mind reader. Why are you not worried about it ha? A little worrying can go a long way to keep a person from getting screwed. I can give you about 800 good reasons but it would then be in the political anarchy section. Fiat currency is not actually money, it is based on the population's belief in their government handling economic affairs in a responsible fashion. Gold is money. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Salona said:

Good luck buying groceries with your gold money...

Good luck buying groceries. Hahahaha I have a forty acre organic farm. And a natural gas well. Besides, everyone knows ammo is better for small purchases. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Caliente said:

Another mind reader. Why are you not worried about it ha? A little worrying can go a long way to keep a person from getting screwed. I can give you about 800 good reasons but it would then be in the political anarchy section. Fiat currency is not actually money, it is based on the population's belief in their government handling economic affairs in a responsible fashion. Gold is money. 

A boat is "money" too. Look it up. Such a strange person you are: Confusion regarding boats, money and filipinas. Why are you in Ohio flipping boats when you could be filpping your filipina in the filippines? That there is a logical conundrum.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sail on other friends' boats unless you need to an escape from work, life or family. Otherwise charter anything that works for you and where you want to be. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird thread - what with the initial question that seems to have been put out there to get a rise out of people, and the semi-overt PA trolling.

To respond to the perhaps-already-answered question that started it all, the logic to owning a boat is that you like to own a boat.  It's sort of like the logic to going on an expensive vacation, or the logic to collecting 12th century China, or the logic to riding horses.  I knew when I was 20 that I wanted to be able to own a sailboat, and made a number of choices in life specifically intended to put me in a position to buy and maintain the boat that I wanted.  It costs a bomb, but then I'm relatively frugal in other areas and don't have kids.  I have no regrets whatsoever: what's the point of having more money than you absolutely need if you can't spend it on the things you absolutely want?

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Or we could compare it to having a child, or children.   Are they expensive?  Yes.  Are they going to increase in value?  Maybe, though not in a monetary sense, they'll put deep dents in your bank account.  Are they difficult sometimes, and wonderful at other times?  Yup.  Will they take a lot of your time, and be unpleasant or difficult? Yeah.   

So, why do we do it?  Because we love them.  And the rest of the disadvantages melt away when re realize that, and live it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange yes. Confused not at all. This thread has gotten all serious and boring. When the New World Order lets the common people travel again I will be spending most of my time in the Philippines.  The girlfriend already has three boats ha. To those tender hearted people that I have apparently offended with my sarcastic, light hearted weird opinions, I offer my most sincere apologies. Not really hahaha.  

Nothing like four new friends taking their tops off after going tubing. 

IMG_4681.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Logic :

Quote

Logic (from Greek: λογική, logikḗ, 'possessed of reason, intellectual, dialectical, argumentative')[1][2][i] is the systematic study of valid rules of inference, i.e. the relations that lead to the acceptance of one proposition (the conclusion) on the basis of a set of other propositions (premises). More broadly, logic is the analysis and appraisal of arguments.[3]

From wikipedia.

I am sure we can al find valid rules of inference to justify a boat!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nolatom said:

Or we could compare it to having a child, or children.   

Heh.  I used to do "TCO" (total cost of ownership) analysis around technology investments.  e.g., the cost of replacing a server in the datacenter isn't the cost of the server, it's the cost of the hardware, plus the software, plus the software maintenance, plus the implementation labor, plus the hardware maintenance, plus the labor to do updates and patches and performance tuning and configuration, plus, plus, plus, over the expected life of the thing, minus quantifiable benefits (labor savings, operational efficiencies, scaled capacity, reduced power costs, etc) during that period...

...but they I'd advise them that the TCO model isn't applicable for making some types of decisions.  For example, don't EVER try to calculate the "total cost of ownership" of having children.  You'll find they are almost infinitely expensive, and return very little in the way of quantifiable benefits.  The "investment" math is horrifyingly upside-down.

:P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nolatom said:

Or we could compare it to having a child, or children.   Are they expensive?  Yes.  Are they going to increase in value?  Maybe, though not in a monetary sense, they'll put deep dents in your bank account.  Are they difficult sometimes, and wonderful at other times?  Yup.  Will they take a lot of your time, and be unpleasant or difficult? Yeah.   

So, why do we do it?  Because we love them.  And the rest of the disadvantages melt away when re realize that, and live it.

Sure but you can sell your boat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If elected, I commit within the first 100 days by executive order to ban the use words like "logic" or "asset" or "rational" in any discussion of boat buying or boat ownership.  Further, I will ask congress to pass legislation making it a crime to discourage boat ownership and ban other hateful languages like "was it worth it",  "you paid what?" and "those old sails are fine, why do you need new ones?"

              - my candidate from President. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It's a pretty standard right wing POV.

Any time I see someone post about "Fiat currency" I ignore anything they have to say about economics.

When I initially saw this writing I was reminded of the quote "only one man in a million understands money." 

But there is something even more ironic here, in that the quote comes from John Maynard Keynes:

"Lenin is said to have declared that the best way to destroy the Capitalist System was to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."

I should admit up front I am not a Keynesian, but rather prefer Friedman's common sense economic approach. People should know that Keynes believed that stimulus spending could help unemployment at the cost of inflation, but he also believed in balanced budgets. In the Obama era "Keynesian economics" were used to justify more stimulus spending and even Trump and the Republicans continued this and now we have a parabolic curve of government spending and the threat of what Lenin declared. 

So I was being derided as a typical "right winger," by someone apparently espousing Keynesian economics without being aware of what Keynes has said and by implication calling Keynes a "right winger." :) 

Let's get back to naked women on boats. 

"Were it not for women, money would have no use." -Aristotle Onassis, a man who understood money

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caliente said:

Strange yes. Confused not at all. This thread has gotten all serious and boring. When the New World Order lets the common people travel again I will be spending most of my time in the Philippines.  The girlfriend already has three boats ha. To those tender hearted people that I have apparently offended with my sarcastic, light hearted weird opinions, I offer my most sincere apologies. Not really hahaha.  

Nothing like four new friends taking their tops off after going tubing. 

IMG_4681.JPG

And you jerking off on those pics for the rest of your life while you rot in the middle of nowhere in 120 degree temps:)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

And Friedman would tell you to quit trolling until you get your premature thread ejaculation under control. 

You have beautiful fingernails!

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you can’t win an argument with your brain, just resort to name calling. Classy and intellectual! It’s pretty obvious who needs to get laid more around here and it isn’t me. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Caliente said:

"Were it not for women, money would have no use." -Aristotle Onassis, a man who understood money

Were it not for thunder, the sky would be silent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, apophenia said:

 

1280px-Fiat_500R_dutch_licence_registrat

 

This is so cute.  Do you have another self portrait carrying a long gun?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Caliente said:

While going through the process of looking for my dream boat I have found myself trying to explain the purchase to my friends and family and realize almost everything I say to them sounds completely irrational. In particular it probably (she would never be confrontational like a western woman) sounds crazy to my long-distance filipina girlfriend, since you can buy a nice little two hectare farm on the oceanfront there in the province (translates roughly to middle of nowhere on a small island only accessible by bangka) for $10,000, complete with money producing coconut trees. It all started when I got on Yachtworld a few months ago to help a friend find a powerboat... 

My best rationalization thus far has been "I don't feel comfortable with fiat currency right now with all the government spending, and need to put money into tangible assets. Land is overvalued, I couldn't even find an affordable winter home in Florida bigger than a trailer to spend the next cold winter." Injecting "fiat currency" into the discussion has been helpful to confuse most of those that might try to talk me out of it. 

I'm just ventilating, since I know most people here share my mental illness. The best reason for buying a boat is always "f*$&  it, I just want it." But it might settle my nerves if I hear a few craziness stories from other people. 

https://uk.boats.com/boat-buyers-guide/is-there-any-logic-to-owning-a-boat/

Absolutely NONE  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sail4beer said:

Just trolling myself. 
 

Slow day 

Somebody has to do it.  I'm eating cheese.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caliente said:

When I initially saw this writing I was reminded of the quote "only one man in a million understands money." 

But there is something even more ironic here, in that the quote comes from John Maynard Keynes:

"Lenin is said to have declared that the best way to destroy the Capitalist System was to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."

I should admit up front I am not a Keynesian, but rather prefer Friedman's common sense economic approach. People should know that Keynes believed that stimulus spending could help unemployment at the cost of inflation, but he also believed in balanced budgets. In the Obama era "Keynesian economics" were used to justify more stimulus spending and even Trump and the Republicans continued this and now we have a parabolic curve of government spending and the threat of what Lenin declared. 

So I was being derided as a typical "right winger," by someone apparently espousing Keynesian economics without being aware of what Keynes has said and by implication calling Keynes a "right winger." :) 

Let's get back to naked women on boats. 

"Were it not for women, money would have no use." -Aristotle Onassis, a man who understood money

:lol:

The US economic policies under Obama were very much NOT anything J.M.Keynes would have espoused

Also, with a current top tax rate of 35% and that not even charged to the wealthiest household in the nation, and several private individuals who are funding space programs that the USA cannot afford, "stealing the wealth of it's citizens" is pretty much the opposite of the USA's current fiscal problem.

Wait... do you understand the difference between fiscal and economic policies, right?

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

:lol:

The US economic policies under Obama were very much NOT anything J.M.Keynes would have espoused

Also, with a current top tax rate of 35% and that not even charged to the wealthiest household in the nation, and several private individuals who are funding space programs that the USA cannot afford, "stealing the wealth of it's citizens" is pretty much the opposite of the USA's current fiscal problem.

Wait... do you understand the difference between fiscal and economic policies, right?

- DSK

No.  It is far above his pay scale.  But dreaming is nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nolatom said:

  So, why do we do it?  Because we love them. 

We do it because nature makes it imperative to replace ourselves.

It's not an intellectual process no matter how much we think and analyze it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The hottest month in the Philippines is May, with an average high of 92. Please don’t go there, it is just awful

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caliente said:

I should admit up front I am not a Keynesian, but rather prefer Friedman's common sense economic approach.

Uncle Milty - the only person who less deserved his Nobel than Obama.

The fact that politicians spend in good times and bad does not make Keynes wrong. Stimulus spending in bad times and paying the debt down in good times has been proven so many times that arguing against it is a fools errand.

Holding the pols feet to the fire to pay the debt in good times is a separate issue.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Caliente said:

The hottest month in the Philippines is May, with an average high of 92. Please don’t go there, it is just awful

Humidity?  Since your offering, I'm a greedy bastard and I want more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@salinte

This is the first mfucking original on the internet.  Wait for the sound of one hand clapping.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It's a pretty standard right wing POV.

Any time I see someone post about "Fiat currency" I ignore anything they have to say about economics.

Me too. I've had a Fiat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hasher said:

@salinte

This is the first mfucking original on the internet.  Wait for the sound of one hand clapping.  

Hey! Look who's out of rehab.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, hasher said:

Humidity?  Since your offering, I'm a greedy bastard and I want more.

Been there, sweated through that, it's bullshit. When you hang your g suit in a locker and 12 hours later can't run the zippers because the brass is hidden under a cloak of green powder, that's hot; it's not dry bulb temperature you are feeling.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caliente said:

The hottest month in the Philippines is May, with an average high of 92. Please don’t go there, it is just awful

 But it it feels like Celsius!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Logic no

Adventure, Freedom, Discovery, Love, Lust, Control of your own boat,  Your own destiny, expanding your somewhat insulated views of the world that we live upon. Lets not forget Sundowners, Solving the worlds problems with fellow sailors while drinking lot of rum, yes.

For me Mark Twain summed it up best with these quotes:

 

                 Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do

                 than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor.

                 Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime..

There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Caliente said:

While going through the process of looking for my dream boat I have found myself trying to explain the purchase to my friends and family and realize almost everything I say to them sounds completely irrational. In particular it probably (she would never be confrontational like a western woman) sounds crazy to my long-distance filipina girlfriend, since you can buy a nice little two hectare farm on the oceanfront there in the province (translates roughly to middle of nowhere on a small island only accessible by bangka) for $10,000, complete with money producing coconut trees. It all started when I got on Yachtworld a few months ago to help a friend find a powerboat... 

My best rationalization thus far has been "I don't feel comfortable with fiat currency right now with all the government spending, and need to put money into tangible assets. Land is overvalued, I couldn't even find an affordable winter home in Florida bigger than a trailer to spend the next cold winter." Injecting "fiat currency" into the discussion has been helpful to confuse most of those that might try to talk me out of it. 

I'm just ventilating, since I know most people here share my mental illness. The best reason for buying a boat is always "f*$&  it, I just want it." But it might settle my nerves if I hear a few craziness stories from other people. 

https://uk.boats.com/boat-buyers-guide/is-there-any-logic-to-owning-a-boat/

Sailboats a cheap free. I don't understand your point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a broad reach, the boat is in the groove and trucking nicely, we’ve more than enough horsepower. I hear a faint ‘pressure’ and bear off another 5-10 degrees, well at least I think so as its so bloody dark I can’t see the masthead and some numpty is standing in front of the compass again. Out of the darkness to windward I hear a sail start to flog then faint shouts of alarm before an awful tearing sound. Then the gust hits, the TWS jumps from 15’s to 20, then 22-23 and the wind goes forward. The boat heels another 10 degrees before converting the energy into go-forward mode and then just takes off like a runaway train. Which would all be fine except we have our biggest light air kite up which will take itself down in anything above 18 knots, and I am threading the needle between a  leeward and windward boat a dozen lengths apart. I can’t bear away to soak up the new pressure and can’t ease the kite anymore without it flogging itself to death, so as the crew frantically call for bodies to help get the kite down, my lizard brain has taken over and I’m utterly focussed on keeping the boat under control and trying to keep it pointing for the exit.

To leeward we hear sails flogging and shouting to add to the cacophony coming from the right as the wind settles over 20kn, the boat speed pegs up into the high teens, we’re borderline luffing on a beam reach with the big VMG kite well out of wind range and angle trying to hold shape with traffic to either side of us. I  wipe spray from my eyes and to windward a dark shape materialises, it’s a bow facing us, heeled right over with sails flogging madly, it sounds like gunshots in the dark. I twitch the helm down to give us some room, frantically peering through the dark trying to pick out where the leeward boat is, I’m dimly aware of the crew madly prepping for dropping the kite. Despite the conditions the boat is under control but I am now pointing way off, running as deep as I can to try and keep the pressure off the kite, which would be almost peachy except there is a fucking great boat somewhere there to leeward right on our course line.

There! I see torchlight on a sail, it’s forrard on our beam a half  dozen boat lengths away. I look up, it’s so dark the masthead light on the wind vane looks like it is floating in space as I inch the bow up a few degrees. The crew bellow in response, we’re luffing and on the verge of losing it. This is getting way too dangerous and I call for setting up for a crash gybe, then I hear ’override on the main sheet’. Aw fuck. I have visions of broken rigging and sails as I push another few degrees higher, the boat shaking its head in protest as the two sails fight each, one trying to go downwind whilst the other tries to head us up.     

Then the gods must have decided they’ve fucked with the humans enough for the time being, the clouds slide away and the full moon re-appears, bright enough to cast shadows and mercy be I can see again. The leeward boat is off our port bow pointing up wind with their kite wrapped around the forestay, the windward boat is just behind us with bits of rag streaming from everywhere as we shoot out of the closing gap going like a scalded cat.

The kite is just coming down as I sneak a glance at the wind speed, still 23 knots, a good 5 knots above the kites rating yet miraculously it’s still in one piece. The boat speed washes off and I start to relax as the moonlight reveals clear water in front, cognitive ability starting to return as the adrenaline starts to dissipate. I will my fingers to ease up on the death grip on the helm as I feel a tug on my harness. I turn to see the watch captain grinning like a loon holding out a beer, which is a bit weird as we don’t drink when racing. But the crew had just done a great job in tough conditions in keeping it all together and a strong drink seemed rather appropriate all of a sudden. It was a calculated decision, betting on the skill of the crew and the boat against a fucking big repair bill.    

I hear an unsettled voice from the darkness, it was a mate that I had forgotten was on board, a first timer lured out by the promise of a moonlight sail…“well, I just got a hard on and shit myself all at the same time…”

That's why I own/ed boats.

For the visceral and emotional experience, and getting to share it with other like minded souls. 

Logic?

Logic can go fuck itself.     

 

  • Like 19
Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, as long as you sail her everywhere and all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Caliente said:

Nothing like four new friends taking their tops off after going tubing. 

IMG_4681.JPG

Logic? If owning a boat gets you that right there, you have all the justification you need, bud. Who gives a shit what anyone here thinks?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

never said better than Sterling Hayden

 

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life? ”
 Sterling Hayden, Wanderer

Link to post
Share on other sites

'Money' and 'Yacht are both illogical constructs.  Owning both or either is a bit of a stretch for our caveman brains.  Mine tells me that I'm happier with a boat, and a slightly smaller pot of money, who am I to disagree?

There is, I guess, some kind of bell curve, on happiness vs size/cost/proportion of wealth said boat consumes, very rarely see an unhappy kayaker for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maxstaylock said:

'Money' and 'Yacht are both illogical constructs.  Owning both or either is a bit of a stretch for our caveman brains.  Mine tells me that I'm happier with a boat, and a slightly smaller pot of money, who am I to disagree?

There is, I guess, some kind of bell curve, on happiness vs size/cost/proportion of wealth said boat consumes, very rarely see an unhappy kayaker for example.

Slightly? You must be good at picking boats!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Delta Dog said:

If elected, I commit within the first 100 days by executive order to ban the use words like "logic" or "asset" or "rational" in any discussion of boat buying or boat ownership.  Further, I will ask congress to pass legislation making it a crime to discourage boat ownership and ban other hateful languages like "was it worth it",  "you paid what?" and "those old sails are fine, why do you need new ones?"

              - my candidate from President. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

well, I just got a hard on and shit myself all at the same time…”

That’s been going on for eons among humans when they’ve experienced a life changing event. 

7BCDC7EA-C39C-4E6E-8121-2E5554E8596C.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”


― Jack London (maybe)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why am I wasting my time here online?  I should be out on the boat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites