Whatcha got - a stealth camping kit anarchy

I am heading out this spring and summer for some BLM and national park camping on the motorbike. It is better than cruisng on the boat in my opinion. I carry the Eureka! single person tent like this one for less than 100. A small alcohol stove good for hot water, small cooking and such with expresso maker and small pot. The alcohol works to light a fire in a campground if I got one.

Whats your style and why?

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.04.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.04.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.14.11 PM.png

This. 

Why?

Cuz I'm too old and decrepit to sleep on the ground anymore. And it's got a shitter and a coffee percolator. 

And it might rain . . . :o

IMG_2498.jpg

• Like 4

From my Water Tribe days. 

1- a Hennessy Hammock

2- small stove

3 a means of hiding your kayak, motorcycle or car

Stealth camping means unlike

y camping places. The tent gives your spot away with the green. Gotta cover it with lack tarp. Or just use a tarp and a folding cot. 
I have a camping hammock. Alone I use a jetboil for soup for dinner  and a bottle of scotch for my entertainment 

Too much gear- use a bicycle.   Cooking grate and 1 tent for two people, bags, deet, spare tubes, more spare tubes, tube tool, pump, multitool, Allen wrenches, a rain jacket and a couple changes of clothes.   Buy the ice, beer and food at the last town before you get to the park each night.   You'll really feel those last few miles but will be highly motivated.   Oh to be in my 30s again, and to have time off.   Picking the hottest week of the summer: optional.   I admit to cheating on coffee.  I've decided its medication, not a beverage.    Instant is more packable then a French Press.

For stealth camping in the Midwest a canoe is good.   Camp on empty islands as you float down river.   Many states no longer allow this, if caught.    When some pissy homeowner called 911 because I was spoiling the view from his McMansion, the sheriff took my side.   He had cut own  all the trees on his land since the last time I'd done that stretch, so he'd have a nice view.  Or maybe he just wanted to maximize erosion.    Offended by my presence, he spent half the night running up and down his land with a four wheeler, trying to keep an eye on me with the headlight.  I left him a steaming pile in the morning to remember me by.   I'm sure he called the electrician that morning and ordered a bunch of bright flood lights.  Camping to the frog songs is otherwise great if the fish bite and you survive the mosquitoes.   You do need a sucker to pick you up in a few days.   

Which leaves my current preference, a pocket cruiser.   If you need a better bed, winter camp.   Put your tent on some deep snow.    The campgrounds are empty, there are few bugs, this is possibly the best.    

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Stealth camping means unlike

y camping places. The tent gives your spot away with the green. Gotta cover it with lack tarp. Or just use a tarp and a folding cot. 
I have a camping hammock. Alone I use a jetboil for soup for dinner  and a bottle of scotch for my entertainment 

Do you have a system to foil the raccoons, or just canned food?    

27 minutes ago, Lark said:

Do you have a system to foil the raccoons, or just canned food?    

roadkill tar tar

2 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

I've had a few different types in my half century-plus years of camping in 28 states, 7 countries and 2 continents. Just depends.....on wtf I'm going. And why. And for how long. And who with......

(Literally yesterday morning in northern Baja at sunrise. Sandwich shit, instant coffee, booze & beers, Mary Anne & Ginger....and no one around at a semi secluded beach that I've been visiting since 1972. 

20210330_184850_HDR~3.jpg

20210331_072921.jpg

Unavailable

I absolutely need to get down there. 

• Like 1

I rarely go anyplace that requires stealth, tons of public land out and around here.

For minimalism I use a tarp/bivy sack/thermarest/ultralight down bag. Cooking is mostly boiling water on a pocket rocket for coffee, oatmeal and such. 

Always room for a flask of good scotch.

River trips are a different story all together. As much comfort and gastronomic joy that can be loaded on the boat. 

Having said that I'm hoping water and weather hold for a very remote float in bfe Idaho. That will be minimalist. Self supported kayak or shredder type craft. Trip report to follow if it goes.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

I've had a few different types in my half century-plus years of camping in 28 states, 7 countries and 2 continents. Just depends.....on wtf I'm going. And why. And for how long. And who with......

(Literally yesterday morning in northern Baja at sunrise. Sandwich shit, instant coffee, booze & beers, Mary Anne & Ginger....and no one around at a semi secluded beach that I've been visiting since 1972. 

20210330_184850_HDR~3.jpg

20210331_072921.jpg

Unavailable

Fukkin awesome rig!

BLM land or national forest requires stealth camping sometimes. Getting off the road and into a area that can not be seen along a road is as close as I get to stealth camping. I do not trust very many fellow humans that have gone farel. I will pay for a camping spot when available and set up my sleeping bag on a picnic table. I hate being wet, fighting bugs and other crawlies.

I do use one of these 'cause I am not a savage.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 5.51.33 PM.png

• Like 1

do plenty of hiking in national parks and some kayak camping too....bit of stealth camping wherever

carry the least amount of gear..... lightweight......minimalist.....leave no trace

tarp set up and double setup with coffee on the go.....

camp a reduced.JPG

camp b.JPG

• Like 1

Not sure about "stealth", but from a minimal weight that I want to carry around standpoint....

Bivy sac (aka Bear Burrito) with a lightweight down bag.  For comfort I use a silk liner and a thermarest self-inflating pad...  An MSR dragonfly and a small pot is the land based equivalent to the bic-lighter/tuna-can boat galley I'm accustomed to. 

I finally emptied out the "camping gear" closet in the basement a month or so ago and found a dozen sleeping bags, half a dozen tents ranging from the afore-mentioned bear burrito to the 2 room, 8 man bungalow.  More stoves and lamps than I care to think about, and cookware ranging from a titanium mini-pot to the cast-iron dutch oven.  I guess I really need to draw a line somewhere when it comes to limiting the accumulation of CRAP.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Que said:

Not sure about "stealth", but from a minimal weight that I want to carry around standpoint....

Bivy sac (aka Bear Burrito) with a lightweight down bag.  For comfort I use a silk liner and a thermarest self-inflating pad...  An MSR dragonfly and a small pot is the land based equivalent to the bic-lighter/tuna-can boat galley I'm accustomed to. 

I finally emptied out the "camping gear" closet in the basement a month or so ago and found a dozen sleeping bags, half a dozen tents ranging from the afore-mentioned bear burrito to the 2 room, 8 man bungalow.  More stoves and lamps than I care to think about, and cookware ranging from a titanium mini-pot to the cast-iron dutch oven.  I guess I really need to draw a line somewhere when it comes to limiting the accumulation of CRAP.

Now you can camp in that closet...

6 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

northern Baja at sunrise

nailed .

7 hours ago, Black Jack said:

I am heading out this spring and summer for some BLM and national park camping on the motorbike. It is better than cruisng on the boat in my opinion. I carry the Eureka! single person tent like this one for less than 100. A small alcohol stove good for hot water, small cooking and such with expresso maker and small pot. The alcohol works to light a fire in a campground if I got one.

Whats your style and why?

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.04.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.04.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.14.11 PM.png

Forget the alcohol stove. Jet boil and then an msr pocket rocket and a pot kit so you can make larger meals if desired. Two stoves is better. Starbucks instant coffee and protein oatmeal in the morning with vienna sausages! Coffee Mate (white shit) and instant cocoa (black shit). Pre cooked sausages, fresh brocalli and pasta sauce is your friend at dinner and lunch should be taco trucks, burger joints etc. PM me if you want a riding partner for a day or two or need a field to pitch your tent and have a shower in Monterey Bay area. Get a bigger tent, its not a bicycle. Skip the top box and get a big dry bag to bindle on the back above the luggage.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Black Jack said:

BLM land or national forest requires stealth camping sometimes. Getting off the road and into a area that can not be seen along a road is as close as I get to stealth camping. I do not trust very many fellow humans that have gone farel. I will pay for a camping spot when available and set up my sleeping bag on a picnic table. I hate being wet, fighting bugs and other crawlies.

I do use one of these 'cause I am not a savage.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 5.51.33 PM.png

AICOK-1024x1006.jpg

9 hours ago, VWAP said:

AICOK-1024x1006.jpg

Thats very nice. next you are going to have me join a christian MC riding group.:)

To me steath is about being able to set up and take down fast with a minimal pile of gear. It also implies you set up after dark and take down right at first light. 

The core of my light and fast kit is a Nemo Hornet 2p tent, an MSR pocket rocket, a 1.4L GSI Dualist cook kit, a Thermarest pad, and a 30 degree down bag from Nemo. 

• Like 2

, to old, creaky, & decrepid to do the stealth thing any more,,

, won't talk about the time almost 1/2 century ago 

"someone infiltrated" Crater Lake NP and slept right on the edge of  cliff , just for that best view ever

, these days it's more like this.

Camp.thumb.jpg.ac2cc2be8f5280e02088c91706819c26.jpggonns

? "it might rain" ?

I start with " it's  going to RAIN "  and rig for tarps.

, sometimes it doesn't and I'm glad I was wrong  :)

a camp stove to feed the french press, for Luxuriously Civilized Coffee.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Forget the alcohol stove. Jet boil and then an msr pocket rocket and a pot kit so you can make larger meals if desired. Two stoves is better. Starbucks instant coffee and protein oatmeal in the morning with vienna sausages! Coffee Mate (white shit) and instant cocoa (black shit). Pre cooked sausages, fresh brocalli and pasta sauce is your friend at dinner and lunch should be taco trucks, burger joints etc. PM me if you want a riding partner for a day or two or need a field to pitch your tent and have a shower in Monterey Bay area. Get a bigger tent, its not a bicycle. Skip the top box and get a big dry bag to bindle on the back above the luggage.

You sound like you got a bunch figured out.  I have been meanng to stay over by Bixby Bridge overlooking the sea and then back up over to Holister the next day.

After 37+years of sleeping on the ground and pop up tent (although conditions have improved quite a bit in the last decade)......when I retired, I passed my pop up on to a kid on FB Marketplace for free and held a ceremonial burning of a nearly 40 year old sleeping bag (complete with a few old comrades and some scotch). Things will have to get pretty darn shitty before I ever sleep on the ground again. 

However from my early preteen and teen years I certainly understand the beauty of the environment that remote camping and beach camping can provide (especially at 7 Sisters which I sure Senor Rico can attest to). So for those who continue to find those places.....enjoy. That’s why we spent 37 years protecting them. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Black Jack said:

You sound like you got a bunch figured out.  I have been meanng to stay over by Bixby Bridge overlooking the sea and then back up over to Holister the next day.

Lots of bicycle touring. Last one from Crescent City to Santa Rosa down 1 last July in 7 days. About killed me. The Jetboil makes enough water to make coffee and oatmeal faster than you can say it but its worthless for anything other than boiling water which it does better than anything ever made by man so it has its place and its also small and super light so as second stove its almost invisible in your kit but there when needed. No one ever said their tent was too big! With one person in a good all weather 2p tent you can get all your non- lockable luggage in it and have plenty of room to dress etc. Also, at my age if I can't kneel in it and pee in a snapple bottle then I dont need it. On a bicycle your you need two bottles at night as you are hydrating like crazy and getting out of a tent at 0300 to wander around in the dark is just not in my contract :)

2 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Next on my list of nice to have is some sort of coffee press mug. Any suggestions?

aeropress, its just kind of a pain to clean

I just do the good instant to get out of camp and cycle/motorcycle to nearest independent bakery for a mid morning leisurely repast

Good thread!

If I'm camping with my son, we just throw a bunch of stuff in the back of the pickup, and sleep in the truck bed. If it rains, we get in the cab. Then in the morning we pull hot-dogs, beer and soft drinks out the cooler and keep our trusty Stok Tourist humming

th?id=OIP.p7nH2JmmrBg1O7tqFLZ-zAAAAA%26p

But when I go alone to get data for my air pollution research, I travel light. I have a down bag good for about 10-degrees that weighs a couple pounds, and my twenty-something year old Sierra Designs Flash-light Ultralight tent, a bit heavier than a bivvy sac, but with room to move around, also a couple pounds. Water, gorp, and I leave the stove and fuel at home because I don't give a shit about hot beverages anyway. I also haul all of my particulate measurement stuff, ozone meters and VOC meters, along with a few USB batteries and a notebook. And I throw it all into my Manahattan Portage messenger bag, because I can pull anything out of it without needing to take it off my back. If I bring the dog, she has a little backpack that she wears, food on one side, shit bags on the other.

I bring an old Katadyn and my iodine treatment bottle just in case, but I don't mind carrying a gallon or so of water, I tend to drink a good bit of it before it gets heavy. Always a paperback, nothing is as good as a good book in the backcountry ...

1589510632_SDSf-bookcover.thumb.png.7885abf9e4759c483dcc6789b3786774.png

44 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Next on my list of nice to have is some sort of coffee press mug. Any suggestions?

After I broke a few glass french presses, I found a SS one

,  not an "ultralight" rig.

, and PB;

Thanks fo that 37 yrs,  we can still find places like this.

Cap.thumb.jpg.bda6c27bd96836c9dcb0927552e446fa.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Been very happy with this one. If its just a single cup press, I have not had one of those. I like this because it keeps the second cup and toppers hot for quite a while.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMQOZ1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

mdi-heat-changing-girls-strip-mug-yellow

42 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Been very happy with this one. If its just a single cup press, I have not had one of those. I like this because it keeps the second cup and toppers hot for quite a while.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMQOZ1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yep I have something just like that now, works great in the camper and house. However space on a raft is even tighter then that of a sailboat!

32 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

We have but just ONE rule here. Seriously, only one. And Bradley is rabidly vicious on this, trust me.

The 'rule'? No. Naming. Spots. (EVER!)

You CT Hoarre, the actte ist "I showe you teh beste spottes in the worldes, butte wointe telle you wherre......."

Do you poutte on specialle gloves, hattes, and bootes to be suche a biche?  Juste wondereng.......             :)

170427_gma_pop3_0806_16x9_992.jpg

great, socal secret squirrel shit

thats 4 s's for those who can count

how many have slept hard for 2 bucks on the south slope of the bay near la buffadora in ensenada and listened to fishing boats all night and wondered if you might get jumped if you went to sleep? there I named place :)

• Like 1

Yup, in these days of the interwebs, spot burning has become a serious problem.

Remember "The Monolith"? It took like what. Maybe 2 days for 100 Mystic Blissninnies to find that spot.

Damn shame, but it is what it is. 

18 minutes ago, longy said:

There's no surf here!!

keep telling yourself that ..... 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

1). Not my F/Book page, not my rule.

2). But I wholeheartedly agree with my buddy Bradley. Ya gotta do your homework, pay your dues and discover Baja on your own terms

3). Just us oldsters did, beginning in the late 60's. No GPS, no Atm's, no phones, no computers, no Surfline, no Sat Nav, no digi cameras, no internet, no social media, bias ply tires & split rims, carburators, fuked up gas, lotsa guessing, lotsa shoveling, lotsa iffy food, water, gas, milk, campsites....and locals. Non existent auto parts, shady 'mechanic's, no Medivac, 7th World medical care at best, grumpy cops and questionable Federales, local polis who usually looked down on with scorn, small towns where the local phone book listed only 3 last names, booby-trapped trails and dirt roads, drug planting by authorities, fake 'citations' or infractions---which usually resulted in money being transferred from one wallet to another......etc etc etc. So yeah----no....we don't give up our favorite surf spots easily. And if you don't have the moxie, the balls, the testicular fortitude nor the Lewis & Clark exploration gene in you, then fuk off.....stick with Doheny, Malibu, San O'nofre....or Kelly's surf 'ranch'.....:lol:

(A surf spot that NO ONE knows about....let alone surfs it. Good luck finding THIS place)....:P

FB_IMG_1609723147783.jpg

Yeah....not a southern California surfer that doesn't know where seven sisters is.......but not too many make the trek because.....well.....its hard. Or....it was. Now I think there are even surf cams at Blanco. Back when we did it there was no GPS, no iPhones no nothing. We drove for 20 hours down highway 1 and hung a right just after Catavina for another 12 hours on washboard dirt and dried river bed. No signs....just some guy who told us....sorta.....how to get there. The turnoff south of Catavina wasn't even marked. Then.....eventually......there you are.....a series of beautiful point breaks - all rights - each rolling into a big bay so the rides are really long and the paddle out is none but the walk back around the bay and hop in off the point again was a good 20 minutes. And each of those bays had a little fish camp where you could trade for some really good chow. Yep...those days are over. 

The flat tire and frozen wheel lugs just as we pulled onto the point was no fun though.....oh and the midnight roadblock stop on highway 1 up on a tabletop mesa of several burning 50 gallon drums of oil with the Federales (like 20 of them) in cammies sporting automatic weapons wanting to know who we were and where we were headed..............

Ahhhh....Baja........

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Yeah....not a southern California surfer that doesn't know where seven sisters is.......but not too many make the trek because.....well.....its hard. Or....it was. Now I think there are even surf cams at Blanco. Back when we did it there was no GPS, no iPhones no nothing. We drove for 20 hours down highway 1 and hung a right just after Catavina for another 12 hours on washboard dirt and dried river bed. No signs....just some guy who told us....sorta.....how to get there. The turnoff south of Catavina wasn't even marked. Then.....eventually......there you are.....a series of beautiful point breaks - all rights - each rolling into a big bay so the rides are really long and the paddle out is none but the walk back around the bay and hop in off the point again was a good 20 minutes. And each of those bays had a little fish camp where you could trade for some really good chow. Yep...those days are over. 

The flat tire and frozen wheel lugs just as we pulled onto the point was no fun though.....oh and the midnight roadblock stop on highway 1 up on a tabletop mesa of several burning 50 gallon drums of oil with the Federales (like 20 of them) in cammies sporting automatic weapons wanting to know who we were and where we were headed..............

Ahhhh....Baja........

Ist that teh regione whearre you left the VW van?  That 'surrendere' fascinattes me.                          :)

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist that teh regione whearre you left the VW van?  That 'surrendere' fascinattes me.                          :)

Yep

33 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Yep

To be honestte, I gette realle possesieve withe items, thinges, basicalley posessiones, I become "fuck you thissis mine", so the "beste thinge foire me ist to surrendere my owenreship" mindesette ist cpmpletley foreigne to me...........       I juste doint gette it...........                  :)       

45 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

To be honestte, I gette realle possesieve withe items, thinges, basicalley posessiones, I become "fuck you thissis mine", so the "beste thinge foire me ist to surrendere my owenreship" mindesette ist cpmpletley foreigne to me...........       I juste doint gette it...........                  :)       

I completely get that. But this was an already old VW we bought and none of us really had any affection or much invested. Besides.....you know teenagers......"everything will be fine". It was certainly back before we had "stuff"...........now - at least for me, and really my kids as I watched them evolve into adults - I found that once I actually worked for something and bought it because I really wanted it, especially if I saved for it, it took on a whole new importance exactly as you describe. Now here is the funny thing. As I age I find I really am turning into that teenager again. Its all just....."stuff". When my Dad passed I had to manage his "stuff". It was all so important to him that he was pretty detailed about where it would go. Then he passed and I'm looking at it and its just "stuff". I suddenly had this epiphany. We live our whole life and then unless we are really wealthy we leave this life and in our wake is this flotsam and jetsam which............nobody wants. It's just a bunch of old often worn out things that bring no value to our existence. There are one or two things my brother and I valued because each had a certain memory moment linked to it but.................98% of it the junk man could haul away and not one person or one memory would be diminished. Its just "stuff".

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Point Break said:
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

I completely get that. But this was an already old VW we bought and none of us really had any affection or much invested. Besides.....you know teenagers......"everything will be fine". It was certainly back before we had "stuff"...........now - at least for me, and really my kids as I watched them evolve into adults - I found that once I actually worked for something and bought it because I really wanted it, especially if I saved for it, it took on a whole new importance exactly as you describe. Now here is the funny thing. As I age I find I really am turning into that teenager again. Its all just....."stuff". When my Dad passed I had to manage his "stuff". It was all so important to him that he was pretty detailed about where it would go. Then he passed and I'm looking at it and its just "stuff". I suddenly had this epiphany. We live our whole life and then unless we are really wealthy we leave this life and in our wake is this flotsam and jetsam which............nobody wants. It's just a bunch of old often worn out things that bring no value to our existence. There are one or two things my brother and I valued because each had a certain memory moment linked to it but.................98% of it the junk man could haul away and not one person or one memory would be diminished. Its just "stuff".

I praye to become teh boddisatfah you clearley our..........            :)

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Correct 

The federales get it.

They only have a tiny sense of humor, and that's only when you are the joke.

• Like 1
Just now, Dorado said:

They only have a tiny sense of humor, and that's only when you are the joke.

Butte Snaggey ist nevere the joke, or I mabey misstacken..............                  :)

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

That's the whole thing about stuff. Your dad left you all that stuff, so you could go through it all and find those handful of treasures. He also may have been from a generation when all of it had a good bit of value, and thought he was helping the people he loved with it all.

My uncle left a lot of stuff, most of it is long gone, but I had to go through all of it. And mixed in with it, a set of half-moon "obstruction" wrenches from Snap-on, so gorgeous, the kind of thing I would never buy myself, a treasure from his life to mine, they look like this interweb photo ...

s-l400.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

18 hours ago, Point Break said:

Very recently I had this same epiphany for the same reason PB; my Dad passed suddenly last fall and I’ve been dealing with a lot of...”stuff”...since then. One night last week something in my mind suddenly clicked, the thought process you wrote about happened in the course of a few minutes, and a big emotional weight had been lifted. It also removed emotional attachments I have to the majority of my own “stuff” (and I have a LOT of “stuff”); really, with just a few exceptions no one is going to care about it when I’m gone. It was funny when I walked out to the shop the next day and saw everything there: I smiled and had a laugh, it feels very different now in a good way.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Point Break said:

I had a very similar epiphany when a good friend died and several of us were cleaning out his place.  He was a bit of a pack rat and the house was full of a lot of his very precious memories and souvenirs (his stuff).  These things meant the world to him but to everyone else it was simply trash.  

This insight made the downsizing wifey and I did about 9 years ago a lot easier. 

• Like 1

Never did "stealth camping", although I sure did sleep in the back of the pickup (with a shell) and all the windsurf gear many many times on the streets in the vicinity of Crissy Field, San Francisco.

Sure was nice to get a loaf of fresh french bread and a coffee in the morning and go for a walk on the beach.

Nowadays with the way I loudly snore, that probably wouldn't work so well.

As for the "stuff" comments above.   Get rid of as much as you can.  It's such a good feeling, even if you inevitably need to buy that random doo-dad again in 18 months.   Self Storage units should be a very temporary need, yet so many use them on a permanent basis.

• Like 2

Urban stealth camping comes to my mind.

I used to sport an E350, with a platform/futon, down bag. The longboard slid under the platform, all the way to the motor bump. 

no tent or tarp to call attention. 

Low profile, six states, and Baja

14 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

You have ANY idea what an unused pair of those go for on EBay these daze?....:D

I suppose you could pay me to wear 'em. ;)

On 4/2/2021 at 8:11 PM, Dorado said:

Yup, in these days of the interwebs, spot burning has become a serious problem.

College dayze,

I  spent 3 days in the lava beds in northern CA - southern OR,  "guided" by a local gal.

Crawled through about every space in Capt Jack's Stronghold.

, then a little further south into the lava tubes.

She took me into one that angles down, and does a sorta crash jybe, angling down  the other way .

90* outside temp,  and the very end of that lavatube was a pool  of water  ICE !

I looked the place up.

Now it's got marked trails, and "do not go here" signs and the pool of ice has been fenced off.