Telly-vision, Hollywooder, Nut-Fix and video crap ignoring un-anarchy....

1). I gave away my last tv about seven years ago.

2). It hadn't been plugged in once in the 3 years previous.

3). I bet if I added up all the minutes I've watched television in the past 11 years or so.....I just might have enough to make a 4 hour long sandwich.

4). I've seen exactly two movies in the theater since like 2006----one of the Caribbean Pirate flicks with Das Kidz....and a joke Valentine's Day date night with the Nurse when I bought VIP tix for 50 Shades of Grey Idiocy. It was funny.....but terrible. Haven't stepped foot into a theater since.

5). I've never Netflixed nor BlooToothed nor streamed nor recorded nor rented nor pirated nor Disney'd nor YouTube'd any tv show, cable show, movie, concert, news conference, sports event.....blah blah blah in my life.

6). In fact I stopped watching the Angels play baseball on the tube like seven years ago.....'cuz I find it extremely difficult to sit still for more than 5 minutes and stare at a f'ng tv screen or laptop in the middle of the day.....when the great outdoors is literally....right out your door.

So how (or more importantly....WHY?) do so many people in this country seemingly waste a good amount of their lives watching absolutely meaningless, mindless, made-up and basically useless shit....when they could actually be doing something creative, meaningfull and interesting? Gawd invented the fuking radio for a reason.....for those of us who can actually work & chew beer at the same time.....:lol:

• Like 6
1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

So how (or more importantly....WHY?) do so many people in this country seemingly waste a good amount of their lives watching absolutely meaningless, mindless, made-up and basically useless shit....

They haventte founde SA yette?

• Like 3

As a self confessed TV freak with too many tv’s & gizmos, you bring up an excellent point? Why? I ask myself that frequently. Why indeed...

Funny how the little internet screen has taken over their lives. off we go. Into the undoing everything known about many realities. Time does not exist. you know that! Of course you do. Stop thinking about time then,what ever you think time is, go Do something with your time. And This ignore please!

Why?

1. Frozen water

2. Locked out of soft water this winter.

That said, SA (Ocean Racing) was a lifesaver this winter. 4 attempts of the Jules Verne Trophy, 4 months of Vendée Globe, and even the America's Cup kept me happily occupied through the winter.

Radio? Only for road trips, and only when cell coverage made SA too slow to load.

Otherwise--reading on the iPad beats TV and Radio. Several books per week when the forums were slow.

Best non-sailing read this winter? The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared 

• Like 1

Ummmm... I believe it's called entertainment.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people - most of them in fact - who don't understand why anyone would waste their time sailing a boat.

I once worked with a guy who spent all his spare time racing Mini-Coopers (the real one) and thought watching movies was inexplicable.

Do what you enjoy and don't worry about why anybody else enjoys what they do - what you do is every bit as much a waste of time to them.

• Like 4

3 score and 10 is your allotment

exercise deducts from it

time spend sailing isn't counted :)

• Like 1

I think I might have watched 20 hours of TV in the last 20 years.  I don't miss it one bit.

Now YouTube, that's a different story...

• Like 2

We still have a TV. My wife avidly watches home renovation shows and Rugby League. She doesn't know shit about the rules of the game but she loves watching big tattooed boofheads crashing into each other. It provides some kind of emotional outlet for her and her sister, screaming at the screen.

I watch Formula 1 and MotoGP, and nothing else. TV advertising is horrible brainwashing.

Haven't watched a movie in decades, it's all shit. 

Frank Zappa summed it up perfectly. "I am the slime from the video......"

• Like 1
Just now, Happy said:

Haven't watched a movie in decades, it's all shit. 

With the exception of Monty Python, of course.......

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, Happy said:

Then we can be friends.....

• Like 2

Subscribed to Netflix to watch Black Mirror, done.  I can recommend it as a warning about this fucked up world.

Tried to watch a couple of series, failed.  Each got boring and repetitive.  Nothing has interested me since Breaking Bad.

Wife watches TV, how the fuck did that happen, someone who watches reality TV?

I find even having TV commercials enter my house to be an insult.  Noise cancelling head phones help, listen to some good music.

My big screen TVs were mostly HTPC and CNC monitors in the before times.  I think one of them might be hooked up to an antenna in the attic but I'm too lazy to check.  But over the last year I've gone through my DVD and Blu Ray collection.  I'd forgotten how hilarious Mel Brooks can be.  And there's some really good sci-fi, too.  So there's that...

On 4/1/2021 at 5:59 PM, El Mariachi said:

This explains how and why you inexplicably find the last president to have been competent, you missed out on his four years of...

meaningless, mindless, made-up and basically useless shit.

• Like 3
On 4/1/2021 at 4:59 PM, El Mariachi said:

3). I bet if I added up all the minutes I've watched television in the past 11 years or so.....I just might have enough to make a 4 hour long sandwich.

4). I've seen exactly two movies in the theater since like 2006----one of the Caribbean Pirate flicks with Das Kidz....and a joke Valentine's Day date night with the Nurse when I bought VIP tix for 50 Shades of Grey Idiocy. It was funny.....but terrible. Haven't stepped foot into a theater since.

5). I've never Netflixed nor BlooToothed nor streamed nor recorded nor rented nor pirated nor Disney'd nor YouTube'd any tv show, cable show, movie, concert, news conference, sports event.....blah blah blah in my life.

6). In fact I stopped watching the Angels play baseball on the tube like seven years ago.....'cuz I find it extremely difficult to sit still for more than 5 minutes and stare at a f'ng tv screen or laptop in the middle of the day.....when the great outdoors is literally....right out your door.

So how (or more importantly....WHY?) do so many people in this country seemingly waste a good amount of their lives watching absolutely meaningless, mindless, made-up and basically useless shit....when they could actually be doing something creative, meaningfull and interesting? Gawd invented the fuking radio for a reason.....for those of us who can actually work & chew beer at the same time.....:lol:

I am late to the game here, sorry.  The Lab I worked in was expanding and 7 BS Chem mostly recent graduates were part of the expansion.  These kids ( I was mid 50s) were good.  We worked as a team, the kids worked hard added alot of insight and more than pulled their own weight.  My club has an annual race weekend.  22 miles north to a port Saturday.  Return Sunday.  Two tiring days as we inevitably have big weather changes through the day.  After doing well that weekend, 1st and 2nd  I get to work and the normal Monday debrief baseball, shows, movies ?  No, 3 or 4 of these 20 somethings spent the weekend online gaming.  I mean, I should be the couch potato right?

Well, this was a fun thread...  I think I will log off now and see what is on TV.  :P

• Like 2

meaningless, mindless, made-up and basically useless shit.

Boothy, listen close,, 

, look again at that ant.

listen close, Boothy

, and there was the spiders, HUGE,  bigger than the ants.

Boothy, listen close,,, bunnies that knock your walls down & EAT PEOPLE.

? hmmm ?

!! ATOMIC TESTING !!

B) ,, got the hell outa there & went to somplace where the  Squatch roam free.

Don't watch much movies and the occasional series to many get repativie or try to cling to their demigraphic and I have to skip those parts.

Gave up cable years ago only watch live tv for american football season.  Wife is a huge american football fan.  At least until she had kids now she is a partial football fan.  We stream those mostly. ( Technically we have cable as the cable internet company never disconnected us but we don't pay for it not watch it)

Watching live tv is painful. The ads suck hard.

TV....meh. We have a couple but don’t watch much. Every once in a while there is a show we look forward to. For instance the Ken Burns series on Hemingway starts tomorrow. We’ll take that in. A very rare TV show.......I watch a Doc Martin every once in a while....that is one funny show. Americas Test Kitchen as well.....a couple other cooking shows. Sports....nope (except I did watch all the America’s Cup coverage) . Movies double nope. 99% of the TV shows.......absolutely not. So, glad I have the choice.....we don’t choose it very often. Books......making sawdust......and doing stuff........yes. 

Like most things in life.....it’s not having one...........it’s the choice in how/when to use it.

Edit:.......oh.....and Jeopardy. 

16 hours ago, Point Break said:

Ken Burns series on Hemingway starts tomorrow. We’ll take that in. A very rare TV show....

dang , supposedly comes on at 7c  but, but antiquies roadshow comes on at 7c on mondays...  and then   gonzaga / baylor final at 8:20c   

On 4/1/2021 at 11:59 PM, El Mariachi said:

Pretty  much the same here, my 6yo broke the old TV when he was learning to walk and the  antenna connection with it. I got a nice 50" smart TV where I only watch Youtube channels once in a while and the kids watch cartoons during the weekends (no mid-week TV allowed)

My wife does watch TV series on Netflix (with an extra user from my sister's account) and that's about it. My kids have never actually seen real live TV.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:44 AM, Happy said:

That was literally, decades ago. Still funny though

12 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

sweet....

You liked it too? Just finished the sequel The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old ManNot quite as entertaining as the first, but fun with both novels imagining Jonas Jonasson got his inspiration from a few posters on General Anarchy. Kept thinking: if Forrest Gump were an older Anarchist . . .

aside: Enjoy. Google maps has a pic associated with your location. Doesn't look like NL to me

https://www.google.com/maps/place/52°28'47.5"N+62°11'11.0"W/@53.0010672,-61.2032355,4z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x0!2zNTLCsDI4JzQ3LjUiTiA2MsKwMTEnMTEuMCJX!3b1!8m2!3d52.4798694!4d-62.1864!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d52.4798694!4d-62.1864?hl=en&authuser=0

1850680261_ScreenShot2021-04-05at12_54_24PM.thumb.png.0ef03a2fcebc8c1a10bde3cade0568d4.png

On 4/4/2021 at 9:57 AM, Point Break said:

. Sports....nope (except I did watch all the America’s Cup coverage) . 

Other than golf and tennis, which are of course individual sports,  I've noticed that my sports watching is way down. It finally dawned on me how ludicrous it was that I was getting a vicarious thrill (or getting bummed) watching a bunch of people I don't know play a sport, ostensibly for a team related to me geographically. Even at the college level, they all recruit the athletes nationally. It really doesn't make a difference what jersey they are wearing. And it really doesn't have a damned thing to do with me.

Part of this attitude is no doubt related to the fact that the Spurs suck now, and I really don't know any of the players. In the old days with Timmy and Manu, it felt a little different.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, On The Hard said:

Other than golf and tennis, which are of course individual sports,  I've noticed that my sports watching is way down. It finally dawned on me how ludicrous it was that I was getting a vicarious thrill (or getting bummed) watching a bunch of people I don't know play a sport, ostensibly for a team related to me geographically. Even at the college level, they all recruit the athletes nationally. It really doesn't make a difference what jersey they are wearing. And it really doesn't have a damned thing to do with me.

Part of this attitude is no doubt related to the fact that the Spurs suck now, and I really don't know any of the players. In the old days with Timmy and Manu, it felt a little different.

That’s part of it for me as well. No team identity or loyalty anymore, one year a guy is in this town next year another. Chasing the highest bidder. It takes something away. Add in the drama and....nah. 

9 hours ago, On The Hard said:

I am not a sports fan.  I lived in San Antonio during the end of the Robinson days, and Duncan's arrival.  David Robinson was an incredible player and an incredible person.  He has done so much for the only city he ever played for.  The fact that he spent his entire career on one team says something about him.  I never attended a game but the team had so much class and so much talent, that I followed them to a point.  I remember when Popovich became the head coach, and I was angry and didn't think he would be very good.  Probably because he had been in the Air Force, and I was in the Army. :lol:   It wasn't the first or last time in my life that I was completely wrong about something.  I met Lloyd Daniels one day when some of my soldier coworkers and I were eating lunch at the Holiday Inn on Loop 410.  What a sad story he was.  We knew the restaurant manager because we went there often.  He came to our table and asked if we wanted to meet Daniels, who was eating alone a few tables over.  The manager brought us over to the table, introduced us to Daniels and we shook his hand and chatted for a couple of minutes.  He was very gracious.

When I left San Antonio, I never had any interest in any other teams in any other sport.   

• Like 1

Why do people waste hours a day on SA?  Probably the same reasons...  

I rarely watch pro sports because I don't care who wins most of the time.  Now that Drew Brees has retired the Saints will inspire me less (the post Katrina resurrection of both the QB and the city) , and with Tiger on the mend even the Masters is no longer must see TV.

Who listens to radio? I got Pandora and it is commercial free.

TV is the new radio, sometimes I am busy and I hear the news but don't watch it. Other times when I get off my ass I do watch it. But I have a book right next to my pillow too.

19 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

Who listens to radio? I got Pandora and it is commercial free.

TV is the new radio, sometimes I am busy and I hear the news but don't watch it. Other times when I get off my ass I do watch it. But I have a book right next to my pillow too.

I rarely have the radio off. I can go from music genre to music genre in 3 seconds, or catch up on the gnus if I want. All free, no muss & no fuss. (I bailed off of Pandora like years ago.....wasn't worth the hassle. Oh yeah....and fuk television).....

https://radiostationusa.fm/online

I haven't had the radio on in decades - complete waste of time.

I can't understand why anybody would waste their life listening to it.

11 hours ago, Point Break said:

That’s part of it for me as well. No team identity or loyalty anymore, one year a guy is in this town next year another. Chasing the highest bidder. It takes something away. Add in the drama and....nah. 

for sports viewing.. this^. started with free agency and the demise of the chemistry in teams that did well... 

for everything else? i've missed almost 40 years of network prime time tv... don't think I've really missed much.. but there is other stuff on the airwaves and cable that I find interesting to watch... I loved it when the history channel was the hitler channel... I would get sucked into anything WWII. 

I miss the weather channel actually doing weather. 

I do like radio. but all my old favorite stations bit the dust... I got a preview on sirius when I bought my navigator... I liked it.. I have a full bore subscription to it that works on the Nav, and on my tablet thru the app in my other cars, RV and boats... 

but over the last 4 or 5 years I've taken my telecoms(phones and entertainment) costs down from north of 500$/mo to about 130$ for everything. every now and then I'll add an station on roku for a month and binge whatever they got... then cancel... 

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

Who listens to radio?

I do when driving. Got one decent classical station around town. One other alternative station and NPR for news.

I miss the car guys.

• Like 1
Just now, Wreck™ said:

Still walking atop Tierra Firma, Brah. Hope all is well-o with you-o.....:D

On 4/8/2021 at 3:55 AM, Ed Lada said:

I am not a sports fan.  I lived in San Antonio during the end of the Robinson days, and Duncan's arrival.  David Robinson was an incredible player and an incredible person.  He has done so much for the only city he ever played for.  The fact that he spent his entire career on one team says something about him.  I never attended a game but the team had so much class and so much talent, that I followed them to a point.  I remember when Popovich became the head coach, and I was angry and didn't think he would be very good.  Probably because he had been in the Air Force, and I was in the Army. :lol:   It wasn't the first or last time in my life that I was completely wrong about something.  I met Lloyd Daniels one day when some of my soldier coworkers and I were eating lunch at the Holiday Inn on Loop 410.  What a sad story he was.  We knew the restaurant manager because we went there often.  He came to our table and asked if we wanted to meet Daniels, who was eating alone a few tables over.  The manager brought us over to the table, introduced us to Daniels and we shook his hand and chatted for a couple of minutes.  He was very gracious.

When I left San Antonio, I never had any interest in any other teams in any other sport.   

For about a year I was in a bible study with David Robinson (post-retirement). He is the real deal. As authentic as they come. He has been hugely successful in retirement as well. In a world where so much is done for appearances sake, it's nice to see someone at his level who is unapologetically exactly who he proclaims himself to be. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, On The Hard said:

For about a year I was in a bible study with David Robinson (post-retirement). He is the real deal. As authentic as they come. He has been hugely successful in retirement as well. In a world where so much is done for appearances sake, it's nice to see someone at his level who is unapologetically exactly who he proclaims himself to be. 

Undoubtedly the classiest pro player in any sport, ever. 

In my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

I listen to podcasts all the tme in the truck.   Usual stuff - Rogan, Navy Seals (Jocko, Ritland & Ryan) pro cyclists, pro climbers/extreme sports & Lex Fridman.

No tv, no radio ( ‘cept couple innings of Dodgers).

YouTube for quickbhits on music sports and whatever.  Way too much some weeks.  

Instagram is a rabbit hole.  Currently yakking away with Polish ladies on IG who ride a lot and try their English slang out on me.  Forever have found Polish women to be the sexiest, most grounded and beautiful creatures around.  The directness of IG is pretty cool for the most part.

• Like 1

I'm pretty close to El M on this.  Until the pandemic, I only watched F1 on TV, nothing else.  After the pandemic hit, on the cold winter nights we watched Game of Thrones, then later The Expanse, and The Mandalorian (waste of time).  

Driving, the radio is always on CBC.  If I get bored with that, I have a Yes - Close to the Edge CD in the car and a Kansas CD, and lots of hard rock on my phone.

4 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Currently yakking away with Polish ladies on IG who ride a lot and try their English slang out on me.  Forever have found Polish women to be the sexiest, most grounded and beautiful creatures around.  The directness of IG is pretty cool for the most part.

Don't talk too much about it, Polish women are the best kept secret in Europe.  There are a lot of absolutely wonderful women here, but not near enough to go around for everyone.  Hard working, strong, intelligent and gorgeous.  If you want to come over here and take one home with you, I highly recommend it.  Just one caveat.  They are probably the most stubborn women in the world.  Once they've made up their mind about something, they don't budge.  It's a blessing and a curse.