Happy Birthday Clapton

Eric's birthday was 2 days ago..... Mine is today.

The Beano and Fresh Cream albums were what inspired me to get serious about playing guitar.

I did that for a living for 40 years. As a result, if I ever met EC I wouldn't know whether to kiss him of curse him.

A great guitarist who matured into a great songwriter and singer, and a man who managed to overcome his addictions and arrogance to become a good person.

Happy birthday Slowhand.

• Like 1

Fun fact... EC chartered the Bruce King designed SIGNE back in the early 90's. He wrote this instrumental track during the charter, called SIGNE.

This is SIGNE

GkOmwUw5TFqcLxsee2As_Signe-yacht-for-sale-1280x720.thumb.jpg.b21e767a14a275bd7d925f4e44114669.jpg

• Like 1

A guy who played bass in my band 30-some years ago had a close encounter with EC. He was playing at the Backstage Bar near the Perth Entertainment Centre when Clapton came in after his concert, very drunk. The band was on a break, standing at the bar.

EC ordered two triple Brandy Alexanders, downed them within minutes, laughed when they asked if he wanted to jam, and then collapsed on the floor. A taxi was called, and my mate helped carry him out.

I'll go one better. :lol: EC had a house in Antigua.

Early 90's, we were in Falmouth Harbour, on the turps at The Mad Mongoose playing pool. In walks this scruff and puts his money on the table for the next game... Had a game, a few laughs & got my arse kicked in the game. I had no idea 'til later it was EC.

1 hour ago, quod umbra said:

HBD EC. 
If only you had gotten comfortable in your skin earlier in life.

Then he wouldn't be the incredible musician that he is.  

Great art never comes from happiness.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Then he wouldn't be the incredible musician that he is.  

Great art never comes from happiness.

Well I think there are limits to that and EC did more time on it than necessary. Thus his low point drawn out beyond the dues required. His genius sidetracked longer than necessary.

Saw him in Madison Square Garden a couple years ago.  Hard to think he will be touring much anymore.  Aside from age, many of these folks have chronic neuropathies in the wrist/hand and can't play like they used to.

Saw the ForeverMan tour. One of my first shows ever. I still remember the precision of the whole thing. The whole band was so damn tight.

Recently, it's been all about the Crossroads festivals. It's amazing to see a guy come full circle. Started out with the whole EC is God thing when he was playing with the Yardbirds and then John Mayall and the Blues Breakers. To me, the red framed Blues Breakers album is one of the pivotal moments in the evolution of the electric guitar. To get the sound, they moved the mic way a way from the amp, and then absolutely cranked it. It gave a really nice, very fat sound for Slowhand to do his thing with. 

Then along came Jimi, and, as legend has it, seeing this guy play the guitar kind of threw EC into a tailspin of sorts. Then came the addictions. There was still some great music coming out of that era. I always really dug the album Backless from that portion of the early/mid seventies catalogue. 

I say full circle, because by the time he's doing all the Crossroads festivals, there is really zero ego and you can see the joy he has just to hang out and jam with some of the great guitar players on the planet. 

The guy has dodged more than a few bullets, and for some reason, I can't shake thinking about his old buddy SRV, who was on the ill fated copter ride that EC passed on and said he'd take the next one. 

Well anyway, I guess it's about those you've loved and lost along the way. 

Here he is with Doyle Bramall II and Derek Trucks and a stellar roster of players.

18 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Saw him in Madison Square Garden a couple years ago.  Hard to think he will be touring much anymore.  Aside from age, many of these folks have chronic neuropathies in the wrist/hand and can't play like they used to.

My understanding is Clapton's issue are chronic back issues. He has publicly questioned how much longer he can stand upon a stage.

1 minute ago, quod umbra said:

My understanding is Clapton's issue are chronic back issues. He has publicly questioned how much longer he can stand upon a stage.

Sitteng ist ussiualley hardere on the backe.........                :)

• Like 1

Thanks EC, for bringing blues music to a white audience, and breaking so many barriers along the way.

For so many of the blues standards, Key to the Highway, Spoonful, Crossroads, Born Under a Bad Sign, etc., Clapton was the bridge. He and Keith Richards were waaaaay ahead of the curve as evangelists for American roots music. 

Most importantly, he has always given credit where credit is due. 

Yeah, incredible guitarist, but few musicians have had so much cultural influence, while offering credit to others. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Thanks EC, for bringing blues music to a white audience, and breaking so many barriers along the way.

For so many of the blues standards, Key to the Highway, Spoonful, Crossroads, Born Under a Bad Sign, etc., Clapton was the bridge. He and Keith Richards were waaaaay ahead of the curve as evangelists for American roots music. 

Most importantly, he has always given credit where credit is due. 

Yeah, incredible guitarist, but few musicians have had so much cultural influence, while offering credit to others. 

In addition to all the early blues influences........I love the “Riding With the King” album. 

• Like 1

“Before I heard Robert Johnson, I had already been exposed to a lot of rhythm and blues artists like Chuck Berry and Jimmy Reed. As soon as I heard Johnson play boogie on things like When You Got A Good Friend and Ramblin’ On My Mind, I immediately understood where a lot R&B grooves originated. Nobody else from that period – not Son House, not Charlie Patton, not Blind Lemon Jefferson – played anything like that. 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/classic-interview-eric-clapton-on-robert-johnsons-blues-legacy

• Like 1