What is the closest boat to a Nolex 30 in the USA? 

Fairly close would be the S2 7.9 - we have three in our club. They are very successful racers - people also cruise and day sail them. 

They are easily single-handed. 

I've seen Nolex's 30's in Aotearoa, but have not sailed on one. 

I would note that the market availability of 7.9's is pretty thin right now - all sorts of boats are selling like hotcakes. 

S2 7.9 Championship-160 | Macatawa Bay Yacht Club

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

There is at least one Noelex 30 in the USA. My wife and I checked one out in upstate New York a few years ago

Nice boat, I should have bought it.

FB- Doug

So what was in the next slip over?

• Like 1
On 4/3/2021 at 3:27 AM, binkoba said:

Trailerable 27-30 ft, lift keel, not a Carrera, Henderson or Melges type boat

Oh, and not $120000

Thanks

binkoba,

If you want a Nolex 30 why not look at importanting one from Australia or New Zealand ?

With the Aus / NZ dollar about 30% lower than the US dollar you could end up getting a bargain and even a trailer as well. You could even get new sails 30 % cheaper as well. 

I know of good Nolex 30’s going for around $40-50 k Australian so it’s worth a thought 

Pulpit 

On 4/2/2021 at 1:34 PM, ASP said:

Hobie 33?

The Hobie's are cool boats, but if you want room down below they are not that. 

I seriously doubt that the Nolex sleeps six as it is purported to  . . 

the 7.9 sleeps two in real comfort - not counting the forepeak. 

Even in this very tight market, you can get a killer 7.9 all up for USD 20K. 

I'm thinking of selling mine due only to age and infirmity 

7 hours ago, pulpit said:

I know of good Nolex 30’s going for around $40-50 k Australian so it’s worth a thought 

Pulpit 

Shit, when did that happen?  Everytime I looked at Noelex 30s they were asking 100K - a 25 would go for 50K!  They are getting older I suppose ...

14 hours ago, Schnick said:

Laser 28 clearly the same thing.

That's what first came to  my mind.

Farr 940 is a a sister from another mister. Nicely finished yachts that due to the beam can be tender to sail. Some had inboard diesels and others had outboards. For Downunder they are a large trailer yacht, but not when you compare what gets trailered in the USA. NZ and Australia were blessed with a range or good trailer yachts in the 80’s, also some not so good.

3 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Farr 940 is a a sister from another mister. Nicely finished yachts that due to the beam can be tender to sail. Some had inboard diesels and others had outboards. For Downunder they are a large trailer yacht, but not when you compare what gets trailered in the USA. NZ and Australia were blessed with a range or good trailer yachts in the 80’s, also some not so good.

Crazy Horse,

Bruce Farr designed the 940 hull and it was used by a few different builders, Binks Yachts in south Ozz as a swing and fixed Keel Nolex yachts in NZ as a dagger board and the straight 940 hull was used by other builders as a fixed keel. 

The Nolex 30 is a more user friendly boat and is set up well and with head room. As far as sleeping 6 ? You have  2 in the V berth, 2 in the settee when the table is down,  1 across from the settee and a big quarter berth. 

The Binks30 is also a good boat and for years was set up as fixed Keel charter boats in the Whitsundays as well as a trailerable swing Keel. The biggest problems  that the Binks 30 had was it had 5’10” headroom and the swing Keel with a bulb took out a lot of room. 

A interesting fact about the Nolex 30 is that I know of 2 boats that have done 5 Sydney to Hobart between them and finished all 5

Pulpit 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, pulpit said:

Crazy Horse,

Bruce Farr designed the 940 hull and it was used by a few different builders, Binks Yachts in south Ozz as a swing and fixed Keel Nolex yachts in NZ as a dagger board and the straight 940 hull was used by other builders as a fixed keel. 

The Nolex 30 is a more user friendly boat and is set up well and with head room. As far as sleeping 6 ? You have  2 in the V berth, 2 in the settee when the table is down,  1 across from the settee and a big quarter berth. 

The Binks30 is also a good boat and for years was set up as fixed Keel charter boats in the Whitsundays as well as a trailerable swing Keel. The biggest problems  that the Binks 30 had was it had 5’10” headroom and the swing Keel with a bulb took out a lot of room. 

A interesting fact about the Nolex 30 is that I know of 2 boats that have done 5 Sydney to Hobart between them and finished all 5

Pulpit 

Which where and when did a Noelex do a S2H..... not saying they can’t... just be tough to meet the modern stability and structural safety elements... 

PM me 

23 hours ago, pulpit said:

Crazy Horse,

Pulpit 

The B30 is a different hull to the Noelex 30, more like a short 1020. Farr designs list the 940 and Noelex 30 as #112 and the B30 as #99. 

just curious, does anyone have experience shipping a 30-40 footer from Aus/NZ to the west coast of the US? What did that end up costing?

21 hours ago, quod umbra said:

I bid 1 US dollar.

Try sucking your own balls, video it and if you can the boat is yours for $1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:27 AM, binkoba said:

Trailerable 27-30 ft, lift keel, not a Carrera, Henderson or Melges type boat

Oh, and not $120000

Thanks

C&C Mega 30 OD. Lifting Keel somewhat fast, Trailerable and launchable from a regular launch. Sleeps 4 somewhat spartan inside.

Late 70's ULDB with a 6' standing room in a small area.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/mega-30-od-cc

JJ

On 4/5/2021 at 7:15 PM, pulpit said:

Crazy Horse,

Pulpit 

We did a few Pittwater - Coffs races on the N30, in fact one was the quickest I've done - under 30hrs. Not too shabby for a 30'er.

I don't know of any that have done the Hobart Race however.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, AVID said:

Which where and when did a Noelex do a S2H..... not saying they can’t... just be tough to meet the modern stability and structural safety elements... 

PM me 

AVID,

We are talking about back in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. 

The Nolex 30’s that did the Hobart were “More Imagination” back in the 1989 - 90 races, I’m told that the other Nolex 30 was “Fluor Warrior” again a South Australian Boat. I’m not shore what years they sailed the race. 

Im told that “Wild Blue Yonder” also came across to the east coast regular as well racing offshore as well. 

I also know of a few Nolex 30’s that race to  the Brisbane to Gladstone races as well. 

Pulpit 

23 hours ago, quod umbra said:

I'm not as limber as you bike-boi.

Then you can't have the boat for $1

On 4/4/2021 at 9:00 AM, pulpit said:

binkoba,

If you want a Nolex 30 why not look at importanting one from Australia or New Zealand ?

With the Aus / NZ dollar about 30% lower than the US dollar you could end up getting a bargain and even a trailer as well. You could even get new sails 30 % cheaper as well. 

Pulpit 

Good luck finding one-off shipping space with international shipping running at about 30% of pre-covid levels.