Jump to content

Garmin sailing watch vs velocitek prostart


Recommended Posts

Wear and walk away or mounted on boat?  Power comsumption being what it is on the units. 75 hours on the mounted. I do like the velocitek prostart very much but tempted to get the watch (twice the cost of Velocitck) and keep my old analog Raymarine system, my garmin Inreach, a spare gps and a ipad.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only the wearer can see the numbers on your watch and you have to look down all the time on the tiny screen. I have a Suunto watch and it blows compared to looking forward and seeing the display readout in full view.

The mast mounted instrument displays the data for all to see. Big numbers, in your line of sight, always. It's a real boat instrument. I don't work for Velocitek, but I fully endorse this product. One on my 14. One on my 32. Just put the new version on my buddies Hobie 33, the backlit function is perfect. Looks like I need to upgrade now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irrational 14 said:

Only the wearer can see the numbers on your watch and you have to look down all the time on the tiny screen. I have a Suunto watch and it blows compared to looking forward and seeing the display readout in full view.

The mast mounted instrument displays the data for all to see. Big numbers, in your line of sight, always. It's a real boat instrument. I don't work for Velocitek, but I fully endorse this product. One on my 14. One on my 32. Just put the new version on my buddies Hobie 33, the backlit function is perfect. Looks like I need to upgrade now.

 

i like the Velocitk products a lot too.  on a 14, a speedpuck would great.

Like you, we already carry a lot of things on bigger boats. The flexabity to be able to use the watch on other boats that i sail is nice. i solo and short hand sail alot. the watch would give a chance to turn boat with the autohelm when i do fordeck work. As for what the crew can see from the cockpit  - here is from last weekend after the Round the rocks race at night. the ipad mini that i have magnetically attached below the instrument cluster had been on all day - about 12 hours.  the pad brightness made reading the raymarine series 60 greenlit hard as you can see which would make a good arguement for the Velocitek.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're looking at the watch option, something like a Garmin fenix 5 or 6 with the RaceQs smart watch app will give you much better racing functionality that what's shown in the Garmin app. So you could have a watch and a Prostart for a lot less than the cost of the MARQ Captain.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 4:42 PM, TJSoCal said:

If you're looking at the watch option, something like a Garmin fenix 5 or 6 with the RaceQs smart watch app will give you much better racing functionality that what's shown in the Garmin app. So you could have a watch and a Prostart for a lot less than the cost of the MARQ Captain.

 

Bigger question; why is the 'MARQ Captain' functionality shown above not available to regular Fenix watch owners as an app??

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

 

Bigger question; why is the 'MARQ Captain' functionality shown above not available to regular Fenix watch owners as an app??

That's easy - it's hard to sell $1800 watches if your $400 watches do the same thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

71jB5QEngfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

£14.29 ($19.79) that's all I need for a start line, big digits on the bulkhead visible from the helmsman position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Black Jack You should definitely get the ProStart. If you want the watch, get the watch too!

Good starts are all about time and distance. And that's what the ProStart delivers. Accurate distance requires the GPS to be mounted to the boat. A wrist mounted device is nice (and that is a cool looking watch) but if the GPS sensor is moving relative to the boat it's not doing you much good for distance-to-line measurements.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, velocitek said:

@Black Jack You should definitely get the ProStart. If you want the watch, get the watch too!

Good starts are all about time and distance. And that's what the ProStart delivers. Accurate distance requires the GPS to be mounted to the boat. A wrist mounted device is nice (and that is a cool looking watch) but if the GPS sensor is moving relative to the boat it's not doing you much good for distance-to-line measurements.

 

I'll go this way. I'll make the ProStart buy in the next month along with the basic gps watch. I found the ipad too much hassle and with summer sun coming, heat issues will make the tablet nearly useless. Moreover I hadn't taken so much notice but that the ipad in the cockpit gives temporary night blindess and made seeing darker marks more challenging or nearly impossible when at the helm night sailing as speed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 3:52 AM, TJSoCal said:

That's easy - it's hard to sell $1800 watches if your $400 watches do the same thing. 

While the question was rhetorical, you're right of course.

Which leads to the real question.

When the Apple Watch first came out, they made a US$10,000 version in solid fucking gold. Just like the aluminum one, just gold. You were the cat's ass until the Apple Watch 2 came out, and suddenly you have a US$10,000 antique watch. 

The MARQ has all the hallmarks of a $2000 swiss made automictic watch; sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel insert etc, but these watches in 20 years you'll be able to had down to your kids with pride. This thing? Not so much.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the marq is pretty good, i was given one from work..... i dont think i would ever buy one.  it makes more sense if you have garmin instruments on the boat and use it as a personal repeater.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, basketcase said:

the marq is pretty good, i was given one from work..... i dont think i would ever buy one.  it makes more sense if you have garmin instruments on the boat and use it as a personal repeater.

Wow. I want your job. Or at least it's benies!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...