I cut and spliced a NMEA 2000 cable to go through a bulkhead and not sure if I did the right thing. There is continuity on all 5 posts, however there is about 5000 ohms between two of the posts. It's not a place I want to drill a bigger hole.

That was a lot of help. I will check out some things tomorrow. The meter I have is a 1980's analog device so I really don't know if I had 5 ohms or 50 ohms , 500, or 5000. I really should get a digital one. I am sure Amazon will be happy to send me one.

Thanks for your help.

Maretron makes a bulkhead connector that is 12mm in diameter and will pass through about an inch of bulkhead, male on one side, female on the other. Alternatively, if you really need only the diameter of the cable, why not replace it with a solid run and use a field installable connector on one end? I did this and I think it's superior to a splice.

• Like 1

Definitely go for a new run with field connector or remove the splice and put in a couple and maybe a drop.  You have to think of it in terms of a data cable not just power from a to b.  All of the equipment on the network is relying on the same backbone and looking for specific resistance one end to the other.  A poor splice will play havoc on the whole network. It's also a shielded run so a bad splice can allow a bunch of noise in.  The Anchor brand stuff is pretty reasonable and robust, not as nice as meartron but a close second and way better than Garmin BG simrad etc.

I don't know what I did wrong, But Sassafrass is probably right with the shielded cables, etc. So I have ordered cables,  the Maretron Micro connector. Another hole through the bulkhead and twice the cables will be going to the plotter.

Thanks to all for your help.

For your info if you need to test a leg,

You should have 12vdc across pins 2+ and 3- with power on,

With power off you should have 60ohms between 4 and 5.  You need super small probes on the meter or to make a test cable by cutting and stripping the wires, best is to lable and land all the wires in a terminal block for easy testing. You can download pin outs and color schematic.  Just don't use a power drop cable for testing as some don't land the data in the potted plug.