Is it time to fight back over the 361 restrictive voting bills in 47 states?

<snip> Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers ... But when the right to vote .. is .. in any way abridged .. the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion ... 

Section 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv

The second section of the IV Amendment repealed the three-fifths clause (Article I, Section 2, Clause 3) of the original Constitution, which counted slaves as three-fifths of a person for the purpose of apportioning congressional representation. 

In conjunction with the Brennan Center’s report on state voting proposals, below is a list of the restrictive and expansive bills that we are tracking to date. 

As of March 24, legislators have introduced 361 bills with restrictive provisions in 47 states. That’s 108 more than the 253 restrictive bills tallied as of February 19, 2021 — a 43 percent increase in little more than a month.

These measures have begun to be enacted. Five restrictive bills have already been signed into law. In addition, at least 55 restrictive bills in 24 states are moving through legislatures: 29 have passed at least one chamber, while another 26 have had some sort of committee action (e.g., a hearing, an amendment, or a committee vote).

Link: https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/state-voting-bills-tracker-2021

Ah no, but consider that this is a reaction to HR1 blatant power grab. It's time to clean out the house, and realize that the US is one of the few places in the civilized world where elections are routinely vulnerable to systematic fraud due to lack of identification. 

Just now, LionessRacing said:

Ah no, but consider that this is a reaction to HR1 blatant power grab. It's time to clean out the house, and realize that the US is one of the few places in the civilized world where elections are routinely vulnerable to systematic fraud due to lack of identification. 

Do you have a cite for that claim?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

"Systemic".

If you do something systematically, you do it in an orderly, methodical way. Someone who systematically records her dreams is careful to write them in a notebook every single morning. Use the adverb systematically when you describe something that's carried out in a deliberate way, especially following a plan.

The adjective systemic is often used to describe diseases or disorders; a systemic illness affects your whole body or an entire system — like your digestive system. Any kind of system can experience systemic problems. For example, crime is a systemic problem in a community because it affects everyone from individuals to families, businesses, and tourism, just to name a few groups harmed by the problem.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/systemic

We know what @LionessRacingmeant, don't we?

;)

2 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Do you have a cite for that claim?

She's right. The UK, Australia and possibly NZ are a few of the exceptions.

Some places like Germany may ask for proof of ID at the polling place

However, many other places send a registered voter some form of recognition to vote, often a ballot or polling notification. Sometimes one takes that to the polls along with proof of address like an electricity bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_identification_laws#Australia

Australia could be vulnerable to systemic fraud to, but there is absolutely no evidence that this is ever the case.

So, unless she's claiming that American voters are largely less honest than us and has any evidence to prove this, it's a furphy.

OTOH, if American voters actually are as corrupt as she is indicating, maybe it's time to review the whole shoddy system and fix all the issues so there's some consistency across the country.

There's little point in tinkering  here and there, it's neither satisfactory, fiscally responsible or desirable.

Tear the thing down and start over

2 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

There's very little of anything resembling "Civilized" in the USA today.

Of course, if there was a literacy test for voting, well over half of us would be illegible.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

"Ineligible"? :)

Hay, your quick!

2 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Were you also yelling "stop the steal"?

2 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

You're pushing it...

As my friend Masayuki once said to me "It's difficult to be subtle in some clouds."

(You should also have heard him try to explain why he was all bruised, and bloody one day when his "bicycle handle bars fell off")

13 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

She's right. The UK, Australia and possibly NZ are a few of the exceptions.

Some places like Germany may ask for proof of ID at the polling place

However, many other places send a registered voter some form of recognition to vote, often a ballot or polling notification. Sometimes one takes that to the polls along with proof of address like an electricity bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_identification_laws#Australia

Australia could be vulnerable to systemic fraud to, but there is absolutely no evidence that this is ever the case.

So, unless she's claiming that American voters are largely less honest than us and has any evidence to prove this, it's a furphy.

OTOH, if American voters actually are as corrupt as she is indicating, maybe it's time to review the whole shoddy system and fix all the issues so there's some consistency across the country.

There's little point in tinkering  here and there, it's neither satisfactory, fiscally responsible or desirable.

Tear the thing down and start over

The only reason there are calls of fraud, is because the right wing of this country is smaller than the left wing voting pool, the only way to win elections is to deprive citizens of their right to vote. This has been well examined, and the sources to substantiate those facts are easy to access. You may start here: brennancenter.org

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

As my friend Masayuki once said to me "It's difficult to be subtle in some clouds."

I like your friend already.

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

The only reason there are calls of fraud, is because the right wing of this country is smaller than the left wing voting pool, the only way to win elections is to deprive citizens of their right to vote. This has been well examined, and the sources to substantiate those facts are easy to access. You may start here: brennancenter.org

I think I'm aware of that.

Our system tends that way to, as does the UK and probably other countries

The only way to fix that is  for a "first past the post system and for the conservative parties across the globe to have more popular appeal.

AND have compulsory voting.

Be careful what you wish for.

6 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I think I'm aware of that.

Our system tends that way to, as does the UK and probably other countries

The only way to fix that is  for a "first past the post system and for the conservative parties across the globe to have more popular appeal.

AND have compulsory voting.

Be careful what you wish for.

I have never been afraid of the truth. The best way to secure your beliefs is to support an educated electorate. More voting is always the best way to protect a Democracy. I don't support compulsory voting unless there is a penalty for idiots voting for Lassie.

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I have never been afraid of the truth. The best way to secure your beliefs is to support an educated electorate. More voting is always the best way to protect a Democracy. I don't support compulsory voting unless there is a penalty for idiots voting for Lassie.

If idiots are in the majority, I'm afraid you'll either have to suck it up until your society evolves.

Or throw away any idea of government of the people and have a ruling elite. With luck they may be an intelligent elite with benevolent tendencies pledged to hand power back to the people when the time is right.

but I wouldn't put money on that.

You can'y have it both ways.

Of course you could always foment revolution, but with all those guns in the hands of the those idiots, you're probably not going to like the result.

Nah, the USA is fucked, it's eaten itself already.

4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

If idiots are in the majority, I'm afraid you'll either have to suck it up until your society evolves.

Or throw away any idea of government of the people and have a ruling elite. With luck they may be an intelligent elite with benevolent tendencies pledged to hand power back to the people when the time is right.

but I wouldn't put money on that.

You can'y have it both ways.

Of course you could always foment revolution, but with all those guns in the hands of the those idiots, you're probably not going to like the result.

Nah, the USA is fucked, it's eaten itself already.

That's not just a USA problem, it's a global problem

15 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

That's not just a USA problem, it's a global problem

stupid people voting against their own interests is a global problem, true.

But you guys have elevated it to an art form.

Lots of shit that even you lefties take for granted has zero hope of getting traction in Australia.

* Everyone votes so voter suppression cannot be done.

* The voting system is run by an independent electoral commission and polling places are distributed so as to provide easy access.

* Voting is on a Saturday and early/absentee voting is well catered for.

* Boundaries are not under the control of political parties so gerrymandering is difficult to impossible.

* Preferential voting is the norm, not first past the post. This tends to eliminate the fringe nutcases early on.

* Ballots are paper and retained for re-counts as required. No voting machines or any other form of rubbish like it.

The nett result is a system that tends to converge towards the middle rather than splinter ever outwards to the fringes. It's not perfect but it works and I've never in my life heard anyone claim that the election was rigged.

FKT

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

HR1 blatant power grab.

Of course, since it is just so BLATANT you can easily explain why that is so . . 

waiting  . . . waiting . . 

36 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

stupid people voting against their own interests is a global problem, true.

But you guys have elevated it to an art form.

Lots of shit that even you lefties take for granted has zero hope of getting traction in Australia.

* Everyone votes so voter suppression cannot be done.

* The voting system is run by an independent electoral commission and polling places are distributed so as to provide easy access.

* Voting is on a Saturday and early/absentee voting is well catered for.

* Boundaries are not under the control of political parties so gerrymandering is difficult to impossible.

* Preferential voting is the norm, not first past the post. This tends to eliminate the fringe nutcases early on.

* Ballots are paper and retained for re-counts as required. No voting machines or any other form of rubbish like it.

The nett result is a system that tends to converge towards the middle rather than splinter ever outwards to the fringes. It's not perfect but it works and I've never in my life heard anyone claim that the election was rigged.

FKT

There is much to like about the Australian system. Probably the biggest benefit under your system is that Trumpism would have never gotten off the ground. Most experts here agree that paper ballots are the best way to secure elections. Currently we have a small number of states that resist that move and oddly seem to continue to elect the same fat heads year after year.

18 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

There is much to like about the Australian system. Probably the biggest benefit under your system is that Trumpism would have never gotten off the ground. Most experts here agree that paper ballots are the best way to secure elections. Currently we have a small number of states that resist that move and oddly seem to continue to elect the same fat heads year after year.

ask FKT about preference whisperers:rolleyes:

But mostly he is correct.

He forgot to mention that voting is actively encouraged to the point that the Electoral commission both write to kids a few weeks before their birthday with an electoral enrolment form.

AND

Send them a birthday card!! Really.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

6 hours later, still waiting on the turd dropper to provide a little proof of a claim that has none.  I wait with baited breath. 

2 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

6 hours later, still waiting on the turd dropper to provide a little proof of a claim that has none.  I wait with baited breath. 

It's SO unfair to make Republicans have to cheat to win. Just give it to them already.

3 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

ask FKT about preference whisperers:rolleyes:

Let's not make their heads explode.

Anyway such arcane 'tricks' only work if people are so stupid/lazy as to use the simplified 'above the line' voting option instead of actually thinking and numbering their ballot paper. Personally I think it should be banned; inability to number a ballot paper correctly is de-facto proof that you're too stupid to have your vote count.

Yes it can lead to some pretty odd people getting elected, but it's always the last one of 6 (or 12 in a double dissolution election) senators in a State and AFAIK *zero*, anywhere, ever, in the House of Reps. That one Senator can have some influence but only some and only some of the time. It's noise level.

FKT

Just make the Friday after Thanksgiving a national voting holiday so everyone is thinking about it, you don't have to work for real anyway and there are no good sports on.  Go vote before the regatta or vote drunk after.  Watch the electorate explode.  If there's snow and you're going on vacation skiing, vote early.

52 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

"Bated". ;)

I sometimes wonder how many American Children are traumatised by "spelling bees"

Poor little sods :D

3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I sometimes wonder how many American Children are traumatised by "spelling bees"

Poor little sods :D

Not enough in my estimation.

Why did you feel the need to capitalize "children"? ;)

7 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Not enough in my estimation.

Why did you feel the need to capitalize "children"? ;)

Because I felt like it?:P

7 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

Just make the Friday after Thanksgiving a national voting holiday so everyone is thinking about it, you don't have to work for real anyway and there are no good sports on.  Go vote before the regatta or vote drunk after.  Watch the electorate explode.  If there's snow and you're going on vacation skiing, vote early.

You couldn't get half the population away from the malls long enough to vote. Not that half the population votes anyway.

Move Election Day from TU to Saturday/Sunday like many civilized nations do.

Go to mail in and/or electronic voting

Congress has the ability to legislate on the matter of voting rights. A simple piece of legislation stating that no state, subdivision thereof, agent, contractor, assignee, etc. shall undertake or cause to undertake any action that hinders or makes more difficult the right  to vote of any citizen for any office.

31 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Congress has the ability to legislate on the matter of voting rights. A simple piece of legislation stating that no state, subdivision thereof, agent, contractor, assignee, etc. shall undertake or cause to undertake any action that hinders or makes more difficult the right  to vote of any citizen for any office.

They did

Republicans fuckin' HATE-HATE-HATE  it. Chris Christie was on the talking-head shows this morning raving about the hypocrisy of Democrats fighting against Republicans' new laws curtailing the vote. He described HB1 as a 'coup attempt' and called Pres. Biden a liar. Unfortunately for him, his points were based on fiction and he got shut down pretty sharply (although he ranted quite successfully, so people who didn't watch the whole thing will be convinced he WON!!)

- DSK

42 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

A better idea is to make it a national holiday.

9 hours ago, Grrr... said:

It's now 24 hours later, and I am guessing that she couldn't find a Facebook meme to debate for her

7 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

A day off from work.  Big sales at the stores. No assurance that states still won’t put up the kinds of roadblocks that are being considered and passed

16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

They did

Republicans fuckin' HATE-HATE-HATE  it. Chris Christie was on the talking-head shows this morning raving about the hypocrisy of Democrats fighting against Republicans' new laws curtailing the vote. He described HB1 as a 'coup attempt' and called Pres. Biden a liar. Unfortunately for him, his points were based on fiction and he got shut down pretty sharply (although he ranted quite successfully, so people who didn't watch the whole thing will be convinced he WON!!)

- DSK

If the Rethugs hate it, ergo it is a good idea.

12 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

One problem with making it a national holiday is that many forms of mass transit are limited on holidays, and service industry people still have to work on holidays anyway. Personally I'd like to see polling stations open for a full week or more, so that people who have to work "that day" or are working too far away to make it to the polling places during operational hours have a better opportunity.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

One problem with making it a national holiday is that many forms of mass transit are limited on holidays, and service industry people still have to work on holidays anyway. Personally I'd like to see polling stations open for a full week or more, so that people who have to work "that day" or are working too far away to make it to the polling places during operational hours have a better opportunity.

One more thing that has to be considered, if we had national mail-in voting that wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, the propaganda anti-mail campaign that Trump pushed, will be with us at least until we can rebuild confidence in mail-in voting

3 hours ago, Remodel said:

You couldn't get half the population away from the malls long enough to vote. Not that half the population votes anyway.

Even better.  Put drop boxes at malls and Target and Walmart.  (Are there still malls?)

You guys are stuck in the past. How many of you access your phone via your fingerprint or face ID? 

Have an app like the banking apps to vote, biometrically authenticated.

Paper ballots at polling stations for those who want and a way to get a printout of your vote, a receipt at the voting station/online.

There should be multiple options and it should be much much easier. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, VhmSays said:

You guys are stuck in the past. How many of you access your phone via your fingerprint or face ID? 

Have an app like the banking apps to vote, biometrically authenticated.

^^^ This

40 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

^^^ This

Gotta beg to differ, that would be the wrong tack. The problem will surely be the Q-bois will say the software that does the tabulation was hacked (which is what they did this time) and demand somebody prove that it wasn't. The classic conspiracy theory trap: The other guy has to prove a negative. It took paper re-counts in Georgia and elsewhere for the courts to deal with it. 

30 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Gotta beg to differ, that would be the wrong tack. The problem will surely be the Q-bois will say the software that does the tabulation was hacked (which is what they did this time) and demand somebody prove that it wasn't. The classic conspiracy theory trap: The other guy has to prove a negative. It took paper re-counts in Georgia and elsewhere for the courts to deal with it. 

I get that but I don't think it's a good enough reason to not do it.  I think Silicon Valley, et al. are smarter than Q weirdos and could make it happen safely.

5 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

I get that but I don't think it's a good enough reason to not do it.  I think Silicon Valley, et al. are smarter than Q weirdos and could make it happen safely.

I don't think smarts is going to work on these guys...   

GettyImages-1230453313.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

Isn't it precious that many Republicans are elected in states that have no paper trail.

Mitch_McConnell_2016_official_photo_(cro

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Isn't it precious that many Republicans are elected in states that have no paper trail.

The other problem is that loads of Republicans think there are more of them than democrats in the US, the "silent" majority. That democrats only win due to illegal voting and that's the reason sanctuary cities exist...people to cast those illegal votes. It's the messaging, the media consumed and the idiots themselves.

The thing is it's easy to change their minds all it requires is some sneaky targeted advertising. It needs to be sold to them with something like how no illegal would vote through the app due to ID and biometric requirements, they will get their representatives demanding it's implementation. 

It's super easy to verify the votes if the tally is a public database. Anyone can check their # and of those who share their code with them to make sure they are tallied up correct. In these politically polarized times any discrepancies will surely be spotted. Many of the current EVMs do not have a paper backup and are suspect (mostly found in unusually safe R seats) those that do don't publish a public database that people could verify if they got enough of the county's citizens to share their code and choices.

Now there are those who will still claim fraud even if there's video verification. "The computer "deep faked" me" affidavits will still be filed by the losing side but the Rs are going to go that route anyway no matter what is used so might as well make it easy for everyone else. What's wrong with voting for president being as easy as voting on this forum. 

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

It would be interesting to know the overall stats, of those paper trail elected and those elected without?

• Like 1

Ishmael - I know Jefferson cty KY definitely has a paper trail.  We fill out a ballot and it is then scanned.  The voter inserts it in the scanner.  Unfortunately there are counties in the state that leave no audit trail.  Like so many R states it's a mess overall.

1 hour ago, bletso said:

Is that the orange guy before make up crew arrives?

No, former guy has a prissy little mouth. I have no idea how he talks out of that thing.

image.jpg?width=1200&height=674