Forestay removal from foil

My boat has a ~31' forestay with a Selden furler.  I am replacing all the standing rigging, and have the mast down and off the boat.  Removing the shrouds has been straightforward and there is no backstay as the shrouds are swept back.  I am working with a sail loft and rigger that is 50 miles from my boat.

It appears to me that there is no straightforward way to disassemble the furler for transport.  I can build cradles to transport it in one rigid piece on my pickup truck, but this is an all-afternoon sort of project.  Is that best, or am I missing something?

The selden should have a mechanical terminal on the bottom of the wire, stay lock or similar.  I put ours in in our last boat and it wasn't too bad you should be able to disassemble. Can probably find a manual online. The foil sections were not riveted if I remember right they have a link piece of some sort.

• Like 1

Selden is generally quite serviceable. Spend time taking apart the lower unit, there will likely be parts in there that could use replacing if the standing rigging is up for replacement (bearings, etc). Be generous with the heat (MAP gas is your friend), and expect to replace a few fasteners.

HW

• Like 1

Manuals are available to download, lots of red loctite so heat required. It has the full internal plastic so I would use care with the heat around it. If it hasn't seen saltwater I would think it should be not too bad to pull apart.  If you are only changing the wire no reason to separate the foil sections, just put on the ground and swap out.

• Like 1

Selden Furlexs tend to be a bit of a ball ache to fully disassemble once they're a few years old, but if all you're doing is the forestay than no need, even if you packed it up you need to bring it back in one piece.  Easier to change the stay yourself.  

Unscrew the bottom fitting from the drum & swivel assembly, (helps if you dissasemble the drum first, very easy, all push to release parts) remove the former cone that you've just exposed from the middle of the wire & then slide the whole stay out the top of the foil. If you can't get the cone off then you can cut it off the wire, just make sure you add on what you cut off onto the new stay. 

Get a new stay made to length, swaged fitting at the top, the bottom you will have to do yourself, you'll need a new Sta-Lok cone for the size & type of wire you have. (Almost certainly 1x19 unless you have dyform) Watch a load of YouTube videos on how to do it, read the manual. Its really very simple. Remember to use a thread locker. 

If you're set on disassembling the whole thing, basically each section of foil has a connecting piece of alloy extrusion between them to take the torque of the furling, on top of that, there are stainless springs that stop the foil sliding apart. You can't remove the springs while the extrusion is in place as they lock them. 
You basically have to knock the extrusions up the foil until you can release the springs. 
In practice on an old foil this is a nightmare as the plastic bearing tubing that allows the stay to rotate also gets in the way of the springs. The manual has a section on how to do it. 
I had mine in pieces last week, but that's because I needed to extend it, as I was binning the top section & replacing with a longer one, I cheated and cut it off. 

20210322_151727.jpg

20210322_154410.jpg

• Like 1

When I replaced the forestay in one of my boats inside a furler, I carefully cut the outer strands of the 1x19 wire away at the top, keeping the inner wires intact (circled red). Did the same with the new wire. Then tape together and gently pull back thru the furler. Thus no need to dissemble the foils.

image.png.d5d0f11105661efe1b3b28f1cfa85851.png

image.thumb.png.b062b6c84d78dbfa09936b1197066d33.png

• Like 1

Thank you all.

The advice of the rigger I am working with is to extend the longest available extension ladder to its full reach, lash the forestay to it, and attach the whole affair to my pickup truck using any expedient means.

Based on the descriptions upthread of the steps involved, I am neither confident that I can disassemble the foil sections without damaging them, nor that I can terminate the 1x19 cable in a secure, reliable fashion in the sta-lock.

I wouldn't worry too much, I just shortened the wire on our schaefer furler in place, had a hayn terminal. With one person to help you can easily drop yours without kinks and changing the wire in a selden is the easiest due to the continuous sleeve. Better safe than sorry is a good way to go but transport could open a can of worms.

14 hours ago, 2airishuman said:

Thank you all.

The advice of the rigger I am working with is to extend the longest available extension ladder to its full reach, lash the forestay to it, and attach the whole affair to my pickup truck using any expedient means.

Based on the descriptions upthread of the steps involved, I am neither confident that I can disassemble the foil sections without damaging them, nor that I can terminate the 1x19 cable in a secure, reliable fashion in the sta-lock.

As everyone has already said, modern fittings are really easy. 
I'd say you're more likely to cause damage by transporting it. Whatever works for you though. 

32 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Should add I would definitely go with Hayn for the terminal on the new stay, pretty much fool proof to instal.

I think the Furlex is designed for a Sta-lok former, will it work with Hayn?