Battle of the Perry’s: Valiant 40 vs. Golden Wave 42

I’m not really a cruising sailor, but two large cruisers happen to be for sale for very reasonable process and have caught my eye. One is a 1978 Valiant 40 built by Uniflite (blister era), and the other is a 1982 Golden Wave 42 built by Cheoy Lee. The Valiant has blisters, but it’s lived in northern climates and hasn’t been in the water is 15+ years so it doesn’t have a lot of blisters (not yet anyway). The Golden wave seems to have been more loved, but has been ridden many thousands of more miles than the Valiant.

The Valiant wins the prize in my book for the prettier of the boats. The Golden wave isn’t ugly, just much more conventional looking. Both of these boats were designed by Bob Perry with the Golden wave being designed about 5 years after the valiant. That being said, both boats have just about the same waterline length with their underwater hull shape and appendages look remarkably similar aside from the Valiant’s bow looking a little fuller.

My question is: which boat will have better sailing characters? I’ve never sailed a double ender, but I haven’t heard the best comments about them. I hear they hobby-horse a lot under sail and the shape really cuts into the cockpit size… it sure looks pretty though.

Out Valiant 40 was a joy to sail.  Many times we (often just me) were out sailing along nicely when others were high-tailing it to the nearest anchorage.  She pointed nicely, easy to balance (we once went 15 miles without touching the helm), delightful surfing (that beautiful bustle just lifted the stern nicely allowing the wave to gently pass), stable in the poundies.

Don't know anything about the GW, but hard to believe she sails better.  Faster/quicker maybe, but unlikely, and certainly not "better."

Maybe Bob will chime in?

• Like 1

Hard to vote against V40, but in this particular case I would be aware that 15 years on the hard could mean a huge amount of work to get systems working and update accordingly.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't go near a blister era V-40. I've seen lots of pics of how bad they can be - the decks and cabin blistered worse than even a badly poxed bottom on other boats.

The blisters they can get are an entirely different thing than what most are used to seeing - they permeate the entire laminate, not just the outer layer.

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I personally wouldn't go near a blister era V-40. I've seen lots of pics of how bad they can be - the decks and cabin blistered worse than even a badly poxed bottom on other boats.

The blisters they can get are an entirely different thing than what most are used to seeing - they permeate the entire laminate, not just the outer layer.

Ditto. I view most blistering concerns as wildly overblown, but those Valiant ones are really ugly, and seemingly without a permanent fix.

Bob's brilliance with the Valiant was getting lots of volume aft so it doesnt suffer from the usual double ender issues. I'm sure both these boats sail wonderfully. 

Since it sounds like you're shopping on the lower end of the price range look for condition, condition, condition. 15 years on the hard is a long, long time for things to atrophy.

Also check out the Bob Perry Fan Club group on Facebook. There's lots of info on both boats, including line drawings.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I know a lot has been written about blisters, but I’ve never looked into this to any depth.  I always was under the impression blistering was only below the water line.

Do blisters basically appear anywhere on the “bad” Valiants?

Just now, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I know a lot has been written about blisters, but I’ve never looked into this to any depth.  I always was under the impression blistering was only below the water line.

Can blisters basically appear anywhere?  

The Uniflyte blisters apparently can appear anywhere on the boat and will reappear even after an expensive professional fix. Unlike most blisters, they affected the laminate strength. They had some issues with bad resin that infected every boat they built during that period.

I've looked at a couple of them and of course since they were floating could only see the blisters above the waterline.  Those blisters were deeper than the whole hull of my current boat!  Looked more like a shotgun blast than an osmotic blister.  

Re: cockpit size, I have the impression that Perry believes that a good cockpit is a cozy cockpit.  I.e. it's a feature, not a bug.  

I just sold a Westerbeke to a guy who bought a Uniflite Valiant last week up in Connecticut. I wish him and his family luck.

When I was kickin the tires, I tried to convince myself that I could just grind and repair on about the same schedule as the bottom paint and stay ahead of the blisters.  But I really didn't know enough about it to win the argument.  

39 minutes ago, toddster said:

Re: cockpit size, I have the impression that Perry believes that a good cockpit is a cozy cockpit.  I.e. it's a feature, not a bug.  

I assume that he reckons a big galley is a better selling point than a big cockpit.

That may be true, but it seems to me that a cockpit where you can't lie down on on the seat is bad news for cruising.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, toddster said:

When I was kickin the tires, I tried to convince myself that I could just grind and repair on about the same schedule as the bottom paint and stay ahead of the blisters.  But I really didn't know enough about it to win the argument.  

Look up "Brick House Valiant" on YouTube.  Among his many excellent videos is one on blister repairs on his early V40. 

16 minutes ago, jamhass said:

Look up "Brick House Valiant" on YouTube.  Among his many excellent videos is one on blister repairs on his early V40. 

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

The V40 has a wide ass. The cockpit isn't really compromised compared to most others

It's a double ender for styling purpose

IIRC The Maestro said he started from a base design for a Carter Two Tonner he was involved in when he worked for Carter.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Richards Bay is a pretty nice spot but better for a base for side trips to Kruger NP or Lesotho than rebuilding the boat.

The work in the video isn’t as bad as it appears .It’s just a lot of angle grinding and feathering in. It like a dentist playing with a huge tooth.

If you are lucky enough to find a pre blister boat, you can have the best of all possible worlds,  bubble free, fire retardant and DuPont resin..

V40 no 1 has spent most of its life in the tropics and has no blisters, it’s also been round the globe 2 1/2 times and survived at least three knockdowns, two of them 360’s resulting in only a broken spreader.

V40 no 18 is also in Oz, in beautiful condition and blister free as well.

I also wouldn’t consider a blister boat, but no’s 1 to 19 are good, as are the Texan ones.

We had only done six hundred miles in ours before COVID hit, but it’s fine at sea so far. Hope to get it home to Tassie by the end of 2021.

The cockpit is long enough to lie down, lengthways or across the bridgedeck.

First boat we have ever had with its own engine room, and it’s the third prettiest boat we know, after Holger Danske and Francis Lee..

19 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I just sold a Westerbeke to a guy who bought a Uniflite Valiant last week up in Connecticut. I wish him and his family luck.

This was the boat I was looking at. I didn't want this to become another "Valiant blister thread", I'm aware the blisters aren't your typical surface gelcoat below the waterline. The blisters were caused by the military spec resin that contained fire retardant material. There is NO fix for it, you can fix the million blisters, but they will keep coming back. The Valiant was listed for $8,000 for a complete boat which is basically the scrap price. My plan would have been to rename her "Warthog" and sail locally as is until she was ready for the final voyage to the scrap yard in a few years. Her current name is "Lunacy" which I guess is also fitting for the Blister 40.

• Like 1

Yup. Lunacy is the hull. He is Gung Ho about the project and he’s a dreamer that has a 23’ catboat and wants to move up.