Ship carrying boats in trouble

2 hours ago, Upp3 said:

Piece a cake...!   I'd have taken that over some boardings I've done in my career.  OTH, I'm eternally grateful I never worked the San Francisco or Columbia River bars...!

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah, because hopping on the pilot's ladder and getting aboard is SUCH a walk in the park

FB- Doug

Hey now...  that's why I called the pilot's boarding some "rickety" ladder.  This would imply that the pilot's job would be inherently dangerous.

Now that I "thought" that was clarified, I pointed out that using the same dodgy ladder on a listing boat rolling unpowered in force whatever weather would be taking it to a whole new level.

Nice vid showing boats, ships AND Norwegian coastline / fjords:-)

https://www.vgtv.no/video/216256/nye-dronebilder-av-eemslift-hendrika

more stuff:

https://www.vgtv.no/video/216224/slik-beveget-skipet-seg-i-natt

The show is over now, frighter arrived in port. It went sour last night, they thought the ship would drift south parallell to the cost, but suddenly it changed trajectory (not everybody was suprised by that..., armchair worriers in Norway also...). But no oil spill. If it was my sail boat standing on the keel and supports through that weather, I wold like some NDT before i told my insurer all OK... The forcast and weather was so bad that (at least) one oil platform (floater) disconnected (Visund). So the cargo ship should probably not been out there in the first place, lots of hiding places along the coast. A sailor with plenty time see only fair winds etc....

And a SA special, the Norwegian Tug captain:

image.png.72c6c16b742674fd7addb551789080b3.png

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tender said:

Nice vid showing boats, ships AND Norwegian coastline / fjords:-)

https://www.vgtv.no/video/216256/nye-dronebilder-av-eemslift-hendrika

more stuff:

https://www.vgtv.no/video/216224/slik-beveget-skipet-seg-i-natt

The show is over now, frighter arrived in port. It went sour last night, they thought the ship would drift south parallell to the cost, but suddenly it changed trajectory (not everybody was suprised by that..., armchair worriers in Norway also...). But no oil spill. If it was my sail boat standing on the keel and supports through that weather, I wold like some NDT before i told my insurer all OK... The forcast and weather was so bad that (at least) one oil platform (floater) disconnected (Visund). So the cargo ship should probably not been out there in the first place, lots of hiding places along the coast. A sailor with plenty time see only fair winds etc....

And a SA special, the Norwegian Tug captain:

image.png.72c6c16b742674fd7addb551789080b3.png

Damn. Gorgeous and a bad ass boat driver. I’m in love!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Tender said:

Found a picture of the sailboat originally secured in Croatia, for the first leg. It has been re-arranged since.

image.png.0371ff46e1872ebc9cd8688287bb5026.png

That anti fouling paint sure seems like a slow color

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Zonker said:

That anti fouling paint sure seems like a slow color

The owner of the sail boat thinks that the distance between keel and hull made room for the green sea over deck and helped the sail boat survive on deck, so it is his 'lucky color':-)

7 hours ago, Windward said:
10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah, because hopping on the pilot's ladder and getting aboard is SUCH a walk in the park

Hey now...  that's why I called the pilot's boarding some "rickety" ladder.  This would imply that the pilot's job would be inherently dangerous.

Now that I "thought" that was clarified, I pointed out that using the same dodgy ladder on a listing boat rolling unpowered in force whatever weather would be taking it to a whole new level.

Sorry, I was agreeing with you. I should have been more clear

FB- Doug

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

did he ask for a carton of cigarettes ?

I thought you had to roll your own, with one hand, in pocket, to be a proper sailor. And I put pilots automatically proper sailor category.

• Like 1
On 4/8/2021 at 5:07 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

did he ask for a carton of cigarettes ?

be interesting to see the perspective of the jumper during this evolution 

1 hour ago, Tender said:

You will find photos from the cargo holds and deck taken after the tow was completed...: https://www.nrk.no/mr/se-bilder-fra-eemslift-hendrika-som-havarerte-i-norskehavet-1.15452275?index=0#album-1-15453410

In the holds there were 60 tons (60 000 kg) trusters for offshore rigs moving about, made hole in a ballast tank. 

Looks like they may have made the mistake of thinking their mass and shape would keep those from moving. They are lucky they didn't lose the ship.

6 hours ago, accnick said:

Looks like they may have made the mistake of thinking their mass and shape would keep those from moving. They are lucky they didn't lose the ship.

You can see some slings and chains.

Probably shifting cargo because (?) of the weather.

Interesting dent in de cargohold for sure.