Is that a wood 505? I think it is! In the Pathé film on firefly building.

Doug, back right hand corner of the picture above!. 

I am wondering if this was done at the Fairey Marine shop, where John Westell designed Int 14s that lead to the Coronet that ultimately lead to the 505.  Fairey  Aviation was part of the production team for the Mosquito, a wood UK bomber during WWII.  Along the way they developed the autoclave (the oven) and vacuum bagging.  After the war, they figured the molded ply routine would work great for small sailboats, formed the Marine side, and built a ton of early planning hulled dinghies.  Fun to see the earlier techniques, and how they developed over the years.  Thanks for the video-Barry

• Like 2

A cool video. That does look like a 505.

Fairey also built hot molded Finns, some of which are still sailing. 

US Plywood used the same hot molding technique in the US to build Thistle hulls for Douglas & McLeod (D&M). 

Interesting that this video says the staples are removed from the veneer's. Not the case with wooden Thistle hulls where both steel and bronze staples were used.

Resorcinol glue.

3 hours ago, koolkat505 said:

Doug, back right hand corner of the picture above!. 

I am wondering if this was done at the Fairey Marine shop, where John Westell designed Int 14s that lead to the Coronet that ultimately lead to the 505.  Fairey  Aviation was part of the production team for the Mosquito, a wood UK bomber during WWII.  Along the way they developed the autoclave (the oven) and vacuum bagging.  After the war, they figured the molded ply routine would work great for small sailboats, formed the Marine side, and built a ton of early planning hulled dinghies.  Fun to see the earlier techniques, and how they developed over the years.  Thanks for the video-Barry

Ah so, yes! Thanks, I was busy looking at the varnishing and missed it.

I was surprised at the rather crude-looking brush but obviously the finish came out looking good.

FB- Doug

Fairey Marine did build wooden 505's using the same hot moulding method they used on the Firefly and I believe they were the first class builder Since then, there have been other builders of wooden 505's. I used to own one (1 of 3?) that was built for Laurie Smith in about 1980 by Nick Alexander when he was working for Dennis Trott. It was over weight as were most wooden built 505's, although not by the 19kgs that legend said it was

fastyacht-yeah I did, but unless you were in my backyard, you probably would not have known!  I borrowed it from Ed Burch in Essex, sailed it once, bought it, brought it home, stripped it to refit, and that was it.  I sold it for what I paid for it (under $500), and got back more garage space for 505s.   So, the big question is...who the hell are you???  You obviously know me, but I have no idea who you are, how about a clue?  Barry

Fairey was the first builder, and I believe Westell later moved on to Honnor Marine.  Honnors were so awful that when I was looking to purchase my first 505 in 1967-68, Sandy Van Zandt told me NOT to take one even if were given to me!!!  They were really dogs.  One of the DuPonts in Sachems Head (Branford Ct) had one, flipped and it basically sank.  The Coast Guard came out, got the boys, and rammed the boat until it really sank, they said it was an obstruction, I think they were being kind!

• Like 2

Well that was a clue, but still not enough!  I'm sure once I know I will be kicking myself in the ass hard for taking so long to figure it out.  Funny thing was I was out to dinner with M Loeb tonight, and when I told him about your comment about me owning the 14,  he said "YOU owned a 14??"  He must have never noticed it  in the garage.  Obviously my memory is more spotty----you gotta give me more!!