Want to upgrade from Catalina 275 to Pogo 30/36, but can't convince the wife.

Have a Catalina 275 (3'8" draft), which is only daysailed.  Yes, it is an overweight slug, but the long cockpit is where it shines the most.  I now have a bigger slip than when I purchased the C275 and considering going bigger.  Biggest problem with the harbor is that the entrance can be quite shallow, which did extensive damage to a 4'11" draft Sabre Spirit 36' a few years ago.  This alone eliminates many boats.  Seven years ago, thought about the J/95 (3' draft), but now I'm leaning towards a Pogo 30 and maybe the 36.  Biggest problem I have is convincing my wife who is concerned about all of the depreciation that a more expensive boat will bring.

So, I now have my work cut out for me trying to convince her to consider a new boat.  She likes the C275 cockpit seats which is long enough for her to take a nap on.  The Pogo cockpit seats are not as long.  She also thinks the Pogo 30 backrest netting may be questionable and the Pogo 36 appears to not have any foot chocks like the 30.  Fun is not her concern, but cockpit comfort is.  Anyone with a Pogo 30 or 36 willing to share their opinions of the cockpit?  Additionally, anyone willing to offer a test sail for a covid vaccinated couple?  Wife is vaccinated and I should be fully vaccinated by end of May/beginning of June.  If I can show her a Pogo is really fun, maybe I stand a chance.

Willing to consider other boats (up to 37'), but a shallow draft boat (ideally 3.5' or less) is a must as well as a decent sized cockpit and open stern.

The key is a lifting keel.

A Seascape/First 27 will rock your world for much less cash. So will First 27.7, but there are only 2 in the USA. But a Pogo will also have to be imported, so maybe that part of the cost model nulls out? If you wanna come try a 27.7, you know how to reach me. Hell, I can also arrange a ride on a Seascape 27. Or a Pogo 12.5 (Bayfield) for that matter.

Given both the Corsair and Seascape some thought, but would like something bigger in case we decide to cruise from the harbor.  And ideally have a diesel engine, which my wife can easily start if she goes out with friends.  But the 12.5 is too big and even just for a ride would not be a fair comparison.

Definitely unique, but would not fit the bill.  Too long, still too much draft, too old and with a crew of 10, doesn't look like short handed sailor.  I'm also leaning towards a boat with dual rudders which will greatly reduce weather helm.  When it gets too windy, my wife usually hands the tiller over to me and I don't think that will happen with the Pogo.  That in itself may be a problem as she is going to hog the tiller.

My misso would vouch for our Pogo40...Its an 09 model, think early C40 with the shallower 2.2m draft, still has runners, and super basic interior.  Have enjoyed the Breton start of winter ~2 degrees C, to the hot Greek summer high 30's C...all with a daughter from 2-5yo over the seasons.  Strong, simple, fast, easy to handle ( can be a bit of a bitch in tight marinas and cross winds...) but Id take it any day over any of the usual mass productions boats Ive skippered working in the Med- think anything new from Benny Oceanis 46's to Lagoon 52's and everything in between.  We're pretty laid back when it comes to comfort and amenities...but everyone has their take on things!  The newer models are much more comfy inside, much better finished, and the swing keel version would be fucking awesome to get in close to shore next to the cats!

23 hours ago, Codybear said:

I'm also leaning towards a boat with dual rudders which will greatly reduce weather helm.  When it gets too windy, my wife usually hands the tiller over to me and I don't think that will happen with the Pogo.

If the sails aren't properly balanced you can make any boat develop weather helm, no matter what the rudder configuration is.

• Like 1

It's also true that with twin rudders you don't have to perfectly balance the sails to have a light helm, which seems valuable when discussing cruising boats (or even race boats in breeze when you don't want to do the extra sail change to balance things better).