Oh no, not another one!

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That could possibly be the best Swain build I have seen.

How could you hate this?

attachment.php?attachmentid=235620&d=161

That's gonna be a nightmare on a passage

Looks like the inside of one of those big "galley-down"  motor cruisers

FB- Doug

There are other interesting statistical bits over on their website.

http://sv-mom.com

I like the fact that they took the extra effort to re-galvanize the 'new' anchor chain before using it.

ANCHOR SYSTEM
20 Kg Manson anchor re-galvanized in 2018
Chain 140 feet 5/16 G4 new in 2018 and re-galvanized before use
200 feet 3/4" Samson deep 6 nylon line
On board, hand crank anchor winch
stearn anchor is 20 lb CQR
spare 20 Kg Bruce anchor

BS, the gift that keeps on grifting.  See the MOM here in my homeport and from 1,000 feet not eye bleachingly bad but pretty rough up close and roger that about surviving the first night at sea down below.  Maybe a good thing as you would stay above decks incase the from falls off (or some other BS engineered part).

Welded wing nuts, tetanus and a companionway hatch that eats more fingers than a classroom full of snot nosed kids. Yeah, that’s a Brent boat for sure. Bob Perry could learn a thing or two from this “design”.

Hand anchor winch, screw that, an electric motor has 1 moving part, they have batteries and an alternator on their 4cyl diesel.  Out of the possible things to 'simplify' that would be one of the last for me.

17 hours ago, sparau said:

Hand anchor winch, screw that, an electric motor has 1 moving part, they have batteries and an alternator on their 4cyl diesel.  Out of the possible things to 'simplify' that would be one of the last for me.

An electric motor has one moving part, true.

Then there's the brushes.

Then there's the ball bearings.

Then there's the worm drive gearbox. With bearings and bushings.

Then there's the shaft going through the worm drive box, and its associated bushings.

Then there's the deck switch and likely remote switch(es).

Then there's the relay.

Then there's the cable runs back to the main or house batteries.

Only THEN are you back to the basic electrical system attached to the diesel engine.

I've had Muir manual winches apart on my bench. I also have dissected Muir vertical capstan winches and I now have a brand new Muir HR1600 electric winch.

If you think there are less parts in an electric winch, you are simply not thinking.

No argument about functionality, it's why I'm fitting one. But there is a significant increase in complexity.

FKT

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

If you think there are less parts in an electric winch, you are simply not thinking.

No argument about functionality, it's why I'm fitting one. But there is a significant increase in complexity.

Haha, argumentative 'manian aren't we.

I could counter argue that half the things you mention are in a manual winch if it uses gearing, or that I mentioned the 4 cyl diesel as a highly complex system they chose to install on a purported sailboat.  I didn't look at their winch solution, perhaps it is a capstan with the simplest of mechanical advantage, so only shaft, bearings and half the deck required : )

The gold however is "cable runs".  Yep, high maintenance item there, you got me !

It's got the typical BS drum winch, which has approximately 3 moving parts (a drum, a lever, a ratchet pawl). Just have to ignore the minor downside of having your rode permanently mounted on deck. I wonder if there's a brake? Or is it just stand back and let 'er rip?

GEDC3674.JPG

30 minutes ago, andykane said:

It's got the typical BS drum winch, which has approximately 3 moving parts (a drum, a lever, a ratchet pawl). Just have to ignore the minor downside of having your rode permanently mounted on deck. I wonder if there's a brake? Or is it just stand back and let 'er rip?

GEDC3674.JPG

Looking at the size of the bash plate attached to the bow I suspect you just let her rip.

Certainly plenty of lines forward too many in fact to fit in the fairlead.

4 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Looking at the size of the bash plate attached to the bow I suspect you just let her rip.

Certainly plenty of lines forward to many in fact to fit the fairleads.

No god damn cleats on the dock...  WTF??  

:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, sparau said:

Haha, argumentative 'manian aren't we.

I could counter argue that half the things you mention are in a manual winch if it uses gearing,

You *could*, and I'd simply ask you to list all the parts.

At which point you'd drop it and back away, because you're on a loser. Or you'd try to change the goalposts.

As I said, I've had manual winches apart for repairs. I know what's inside. Probably got pix somewhere of a completely disassembled Muir Hercules winch which is essentially the same internally as a Simpson Lawrence or any other 2 speed manual winch.

There's not a single ball or roller bearing for starters. There are more springs in the electric winch *relay* than the entire Hercules winch.

The BS drum type winch is even simpler but I don't regard that as an advantage, in that case.

FKT